Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 15576 Old 01-24-2008, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

You're best bet is to get an S Center.

I scored an S-CenterII off ebay tonight.
Thanks for the idea !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 15576 Old 01-24-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

A sub of that caliber works well with a number of set ups when it's calibrated properly with the other speakers. So, it'll work well with the L820s when calibrated with them, and it will work well with the L880s or L890s when calibrated with them. It could easily overpower the L820s if someone treated it as though it were running with L890s, though.

Smarty-pants is right to bring up the topic of two-channel sound. If you sometimes like to rock it out in two-channel, whether you use the sub or not, the towers will rock harder and safer. The L820 is a gutsy performer, but it can't take the power, handle the reserves, or put out the sound of an L890.

What sounds full bodied in the condo might sound thin in the house, especially when you have the psychological governor removed from your rock'n'roll engine. (Sorry for that analogy --what I mean is you're not worrying about bothering the neighbors as much.)

The L880s and especially the L890s are going to run with the SVS longer and farther than the L820s will. The question is, do you need/want that race to be run in your house? If not, then you can certainly get a satisfying jog with the L820s. (Geez, another analogy. I'm going to watch TV.)

filecat13 and Smarty-pants,

Thank you both for the responses. I'm leaning more towards the towers, but to expand on my earlier question, what benefit would I be getting for going with an L890 over the L880, especially since I have the SVS unit?

From my (limited) understanding, the L880s are more musical, but doesn't have the same depth down at the bottom, but do I need that depth if I have the SVS? I'm guessing I would need the L890 for 2-channel music, though.

Every time I think I have it worked out it becomes clear as mud again. I think I'm heading in the right direction, though.

Thanks again folks,

Ryan
post #1533 of 15576 Old 01-24-2008, 11:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 178
L890s will give a better bottom end on 2-channel music.
L880s will "match" better to your L820s.
If you are not going to listen to a lot of stereo music, I'd get the L880s.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #1534 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 04:56 AM

When doing a direct comparison, by placing an LC2 on the L channel and the LC1 on the right channel there is a clear difference.

The Lc2 will not handle loud bass as well as teh Lc1 it distorts much more, i am talking dance musice here. it may go deeper, but the sound is much more discrete, i would describe the LC2 as a more tight, musical speaker, it beleive it has a better mid range and is smoother across the frequency range.

The Lc1 is great for HT it has a similar sound to my EC35 bass wise but the high end sounds much different / better.

Fo rthis reason when using a the LC2 as a centre mains with enough low end grunt or a sub is definetly needed.

Currently i am wasting the potential of my LC2 by using it as centre back duties, whe i get a new house it will become teh main centre speaker, and I will get two more L820 to replace it at the rear.

My current front centre is an EC35 to go with my E80 mains, plus large sub...

here is a link to all my Home theatre pics..http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Trofius/stuff/
post #1535 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trofius View Post

When doing a direct comparison, by placing an LC2 on the L channel and the LC1 on the right channel there is a clear difference.

The Lc2 will not handle loud bass as well as teh Lc1 it distorts much more, i am talking dance musice here. it may go deeper, but the sound is much more discrete, i would describe the LC2 as a more tight, musical speaker, it beleive it has a better mid range and is smoother across the frequency range.

The Lc1 is great for HT it has a similar sound to my EC35 bass wise but the high end sounds much different / better.

Fo rthis reason when using a the LC2 as a centre mains with enough low end grunt or a sub is definetly needed.

Currently i am wasting the potential of my LC2 by using it as centre back duties, whe i get a new house it will become teh main centre speaker, and I will get two more L820 to replace it at the rear.

My current front centre is an EC35 to go with my E80 mains, plus large sub...

i agree 100%. kind of what i was saying earlier.
post #1536 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 08:31 AM

Okay, I have a question. I currently use S-38's and and S-Center for my front setup. I currently have 2 subs in the room so i dont really need to get any lower bass out of my speakers. I also use N-24's for my rear speakers. I do feel that there is something missing in my setup. I have the center speaker mounted on a shelf beneath my DLP unit, but it is tilted up a little bit. Would changing the S-Center out for an LC1 or LC2 be a better setup. I was shopping around for the L880's on ebay, but just want to know if changing the center would help out any. Thanks.

Stephen T.
post #1537 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Teffner View Post

Okay, I have a question. I currently use S-38's and and S-Center for my front setup. I currently have 2 subs in the room so i dont really need to get any lower bass out of my speakers. I also use N-24's for my rear speakers. I do feel that there is something missing in my setup. I have the center speaker mounted on a shelf beneath my DLP unit, but it is tilted up a little bit. Would changing the S-Center out for an LC1 or LC2 be a better setup. I was shopping around for the L880's on ebay, but just want to know if changing the center would help out any. Thanks.

Stephen T.

You have a nearly identical set-up to me (s-38ii, s-centerii, and n24ii surrounds). When you say the S-center is on a shelf, do you mean a simple platform open on all sides, or a box with a wooden back, top, and sides? If you mean box, get it out of there.

Also, what do you feel is missing? Clarity, bass response, dialog intelligibility? The problems could be your seating position, room reflectivity, wire gauge, the mode you have your receiver set in, any one of 100 things not related to the type of speakers you use. IF you can be more specific about what the perceived shortcomings of your system are, we can narrow the field of solutions a little.

Most people feel the answer is to buy new equipment. Usually, that will have the least effect on what ails them.

Listen to the Real HT Info Podcast at http://realht.info, including video reviews at my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/realhtinfo/videos
post #1538 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpade View Post

Thanks. Unfortunately that wouldn't pass the WAF. One wall of the corner is brick and the other wall still has wallpaper (one of these days, it will be gone).

That would still be about 2 feet behind the TV.

Well if its in a corner you wouldnt really see the bracket. And you definitely dont see the bracket when you look at it from the front. Heck even peopel sitting to the sides can't see it. You have to walk to the side of it to be abel to see it. They do make brackets with longer arms too. Also mien isnt full extended I don't think.

Just a suggestion
post #1539 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 09:36 AM

eugovector:

Thanks for the reply, the speaker sits on an open glass shelf below the TV. not enclosed on the side or anything. I do feel that I am missing some dialog though. What I need to do is to get out the SPL meter and check the settings again. I used to have it on top of my projection back before I got the DLP, the settings may have changed since I moved it below the screen. Some things you forget and take for granted.
post #1540 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, if you liked the sound before, and your equipment hasn't changed, then you just need to take a look at your setup. Room treatments helped my dialog tremendously, so if you have lots of hard flat surfaces, I'd look to spend money on treatment before I bought a new Center channel.

Let us know what you find.

Listen to the Real HT Info Podcast at http://realht.info, including video reviews at my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/realhtinfo/videos
post #1541 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpade View Post

Thanks. Unfortunately that wouldn't pass the WAF. One wall of the corner is brick and the other wall still has wallpaper (one of these days, it will be gone).

That would still be about 2 feet behind the TV.

How about putting the center in front and just below the screen? Placed on a stand, either bought or home made.
Here is a pic of my setup, though its a vertical center.

post #1542 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Hey, those look nice. What are they again?

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #1543 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

if you had to choose..

jbl l820's or jbl l830's

for fronts in a home theater set up.

80% movies, and rest music and television.

room is 16'x16' with cathedral ceilings.

center is lc2 rears 810's.

any input.
post #1544 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey, those look nice. What are they again?

Just some cheap ole things I picked up on ebay:
post #1545 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch-digger View Post

if you had to choose..

jbl l820's or jbl l830's

for fronts in a home theater set up.

80% movies, and rest music and television.

room is 16'x16' with cathedral ceilings.

center is lc2 rears 810's.

any input.

My choice for a front would be a pair of L820 and LC2, as the two are almost identical speakers.
If you're going to be putting the center in a tv stand, then you might have to use the LC1, not a bad choice either.
post #1546 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 11:53 AM

Until I clear off space on top of the media stand, my LC2 center is resting on two bookshelf speaker stands placed together, since I don't need them for my L890s...

Grills placed for the benefit of my spouse, and to keep my kids away from those shiny, silvery paper things in the middle!

Acoustic treatments under way, as soon as I finish painting that door. Once I'm comfortable with all my connections, I'll cut a hole in the wall behind the TV to feed the cables down to floor level and hide the mess...

This is, of course, a work in progress...

PilotAce
post #1547 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

My choice for a front would be a pair of L820 and LC2, as the two are almost identical speakers.
If you're going to be putting the center in a tv stand, then you might have to use the LC1, not a bad choice either.

I went with L820s for front and surround, LC2 center as well. I knew I was also going to complement them with a very capable sub, that's why I didn't go with towers. So yes, I'm biased, go with L820s and LC2, don't forget a sub!
post #1548 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mather View Post

I went with L820s for front and surround, LC2 center as well. I knew I was also going to complement them with a very capable sub, that's why I didn't go with towers. So yes, I'm biased, go with L820s and LC2, don't forget a sub!

got the sub.

just wanted to make sure the 830's were not better for movies in ht environment.
post #1549 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Even though you've got some hard surfaces there that need taming, your room looks gorgeous. Colors of the stonework, the walls, the floor, the JBL cabinets, and even the drivers really work in that space. Looks good with the grilles on, too.

It's got to be a pleasure to be in that room.

Congratulations.

post #1550 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Just an extra note:

Jessie's room is quite different, but has its own special look to it, too. Plus we've had several of you post pics of your rooms and set ups. I'm amazed at some of the neat things I've seen in this thread that all you JBL owners have done.

Makes me want to get some pics of my own in here, but I'm a ways away from being finished with the rooms downstairs. I don't want to look like a chump compared to you guys.

Oh well, as the phrase goes, what I can afford, when I can afford it.

post #1551 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Oh well, as the phrase goes, what I can afford, when I can afford it.

I feel your pain, oh so empathetically, filecat13.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #1552 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 02:58 PM

Thanks Filecat... My seating is all wrong in that room - I've only shown you the part that looks best! I've only got two seats that fall between the two mains, with a 3-seat couch along the left side which falls outside the two mains.

It's far from being perfect - no basement in the house, so the furnace / blower is just beyond that unpainted door to the utility room. There's constant white noise as I'm listening to music, but I can't use a solid door (violates safety codes).

Anyway, I posted to show how one can use a variety of speaker stands to accomplish what's needed. I know I'm one LUCKY guy for my wife to let me spend this kind of $$ on toys.

PilotAce
post #1553 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFyre22 View Post

Hah, dying it was my idea! Finally a brave soul who tried it! Im glad it worked out for you. We would love to see some pictures!

I didn't stole your idea ... after I got the speakers I kept thinking how to change the color, and I remembered that we have some dye at the house ... so I decided to use it and if I didn't like it, I was ready to get new accoustic fabric to change it ... good thing is that everything worked.
I used one box, that was enough to apply two coats to the Stadiums and Voice ... if you want a dark color, you will need more coats ...

Here is a couple of pictures (they're not clear because of the light, flash, camera, etc.) but you can get the idea of how they look ...

post #1554 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

getting back to post i did a few back.

no one has any experience with the 830's. any input.?
post #1555 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 03:45 PM

In case your wondering how can I stand the look of my HT front ... that's the way it look with the lights on ... this is how it look during movies

This is a view of my seats and surrounds (Polk M 10)

post #1556 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Out of the blue with this one, but what would be a reasonable price to ask/accept for a pair of ND-310II's??

I've had them for about 5 years, and they have served me very well, but it's time to upgrade( I assume it's an upgrade) to a 5.1 L series setup.

Depending on what may be possible to get for them, they may just go into storage to eventually become a secondary set of speakers...
post #1557 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvasol View Post

I didn't stole your idea ... after I got the speakers I kept thinking how to change the color, and I remembered that we have some dye at the house ... so I decided to use it and if I didn't like it, I was ready to get new accoustic fabric to change it ... good thing is that everything worked.
I used one box, that was enough to apply two coats to the Stadiums and Voice ... if you want a dark color, you will need more coats ...

Did you soak the whole grill in the dye, or "paint" the dye on? I must say, they came out great! And I've got a whole set here waiting for more details.
post #1558 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatanka01 View Post

Did you soak the whole grill in the dye, or "paint" the dye on? I must say, they came out great! And I've got a whole set here waiting for more details.

This is what I did:

After I prepared the Dye (add one box to two cups of hot water) I used a sponge brush (I'm sure you can use any kind, but I prefer this one) ... then I applied the dye to the grill cloth using the brush, when you apply the first coat you'll see the cloth absorbing the color. I did it carefully near the silver plastic, but don't worry if you get something there ... just clean before it dries. You have to wait a little before applying the second coat, better is you let dry the first coat.

Be careful with the brush, it absorbs a lot of dye ... you can squeezy it before applying to the grill, place the grill flat horizontally to let it dry, the dye can drip so place it over plastic, carton, etc., Don't use anything to dry the dye (I made the mistake of using the hair dryer to make it faster, but I saw some decoloration (maybe the dye evaporated) or maybe it was just a different color between the wet and dry spots).

Good Luck
post #1559 of 15576 Old 01-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well if its in a corner you wouldnt really see the bracket. And you definitely dont see the bracket when you look at it from the front. Heck even peopel sitting to the sides can't see it. You have to walk to the side of it to be abel to see it. They do make brackets with longer arms too. Also mien isnt full extended I don't think.

Just a suggestion

The WAF issue is I don't know if we want to put holes in the wallpaper. I will look into ones with a longer arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

How about putting the center in front and just below the screen? Placed on a stand, either bought or home made.
Here is a pic of my setup, though its a vertical center.

I have a 4 year old and 1.5 year old who would see that as something to play with (well, the 1.5 year old would). Also, if I put the speaker there, it would block part of the sat receivers, etc., in the cabinet.

We'll see how things look once the cabinet and TV are in place.

Thanks for the advice!

Atlas just shrugged!
post #1560 of 15576 Old 01-27-2008, 09:05 AM

thanks alot for your input regarding horizontal speaker placement.My only other option would be installing a perforated projection screen i was wondering if anyone had any input on this material as far as sound quality being changed thank you

chacha
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jbl Professional , Jbl Harman Kardon , Jbl G200 Bookshelf Speakers , Jbl S Center Center Channel Speaker , Jbl Balboa Sub 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Center Channel Speaker Sku Pas749099 , Jbl , Jbl Northridge E30 2 Way 6 Inch Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black Ash , Jbl Lc1 3 Way High Performance Dual 5 1 4 Inch Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Lc2 4 Way High Performance 6 Inch Dual Wall Mountable Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Center Channel Speakers , Athena
Gear in this thread - G200 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page