The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread - Page 531 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #15901 of 15918 Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggubullet View Post
Hi I m planning to buy jbl es80 how would these compare with jbl north ridge n38 tower speakers? I listen to 80% music rest movies.
About the only real difference is the ES having two 6" bass drivers and the N38 having one 8" driver.
But they both roll off -3dB @ 45 htz. And both have Ti-laminate tweeters.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Samsung BD player, Denon DVD-A player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly DAC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15902 of 15918 Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Thoughts on JBL S230?

Anyone here own the S230 and can compare their sound to the following speakers? Which would you say the S230 is most similar and most different from?

Focal Chorus 706V
NHT SuperOne 2.1
Wave Crest HVL-1
Ascend CBM-170SE, 340SE
Wharfedale Diamond 8,9, or 10 series
Infinity Reference R152/162
Infinity Primus P153/163

This is for a 2.1 music system, HT is not a part of the equation.

Just curious about your impressions.

I wasn't crazy about the entry-level JBL ES speakers, but have always heard the Studio series are a whole different animal.

Seeing them on sale for $300 shipped at the moment.

My only concern about these is whether they'd be harsh or bright in an open plan apartment that is about 80% hardwood and 20% ceramic floors, being powered by a Class D receiver.

I listen to jazz most of the time, other times it's classical or vocal/acoustic rock and alternative/folk ... so yeah, clear natural mids are my top priority.
post #15903 of 15918 Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^
The Infinity speakers would be the closest match, being part of Harman.
Don't know about the rest.
The Studio 200 series is a trickle down from the M2 Reference monitor. So, yes, they would be an improvement over the ES series.

Any room like that is going to be problematic, w/o some treatments...
Placing thick area rugs w/carpet pad under, between the speakers and seats is the first thing to do.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Samsung BD player, Denon DVD-A player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly DAC.
post #15904 of 15918 Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 0
^ Unfortunately, WAF precludes rugs/carpets, let alone any obvious acoustic treatments. (We do have heavy blackout curtains on the windows due to the projector, though.)

So given the room, would it be safest to go with a speaker that is known to be "warm," such as the Wharfedale?
post #15905 of 15918 Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
^ Unfortunately, WAF precludes rugs/carpets, let alone any obvious acoustic treatments. (We do have heavy blackout curtains on the windows due to the projector, though.)

So given the room, would it be safest to go with a speaker that is known to be "warm," such as the Wharfedale?
It depends, JBLs matched with HK, Marantz, Parasound will not be bright. Also, if able to afford, downloading Dirac room correction, will allow you to adjust the FR to your liking.

post #15906 of 15918 Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post
if able to afford, downloading Dirac room correction, will allow you to adjust the FR to your liking.
How much is it?

In over my head.
post #15907 of 15918 Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It depends, JBLs matched with HK, Marantz, Parasound will not be bright. Also, if able to afford, downloading Dirac room correction, will allow you to adjust the FR to your liking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeronesia View Post
How much is it?
The Dirac stereo suite is $422. The 8 channel is $695.
Being I am using a '09 MacBook, with only stereo out, I have the stereo version.
If I ever get around to getting a new Mac or a media player with HDMI out, I could upgrade to the 8 channel suite for the difference.

post #15908 of 15918 Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The Dirac stereo suite is $422. The 8 channel is $695.
Being I am using a '09 MacBook, with only stereo out, I have the stereo version.
If I ever get around to getting a new Mac or a media player with HDMI out, I could upgrade to the 8 channel suite for the difference.
Dang, I got a good deal.

In over my head.
post #15909 of 15918 Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Dang, I got a good deal.
What deal would that be?

post #15910 of 15918 Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What deal would that be?
$1300 for an amazing sounding Pre-Pro with full Dirac. The XMC-1 is still new so no reviews to point to yet, but it is pretty outstanding to my ears. It is better than anything I've heard without Dirac and with it... Dirac is by far the best room correction I've ever used. I can't believe how much better my speakers sound.

In over my head.
post #15911 of 15918 Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
$1300 for an amazing sounding Pre-Pro with full Dirac. The XMC-1 is still new so no reviews to point to yet, but it is pretty outstanding to my ears. It is better than anything I've heard without Dirac and with it... Dirac is by far the best room correction I've ever used. I can't believe how much better my speakers sound.
Dirac is really a keeper, when the room is concrete, as mine is and yours, if I remember right.
But one advantage I have is I can transfer my software to another computer, again and again.
But for some reason, the stereo suite can only be used on 1 computer at a time. Whereas the 8 channel suite can be installed on 2 computers at a time

post #15912 of 15918 Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 579
I'm a big fan of the miniDSP 88A since it's AVR agnostic.
post #15913 of 15918 Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Dirac is really a keeper, when the room is concrete, as mine is and yours, if I remember right.
But one advantage I have is I can transfer my software to another computer, again and again.
But for some reason, the stereo suite can only be used on 1 computer at a time. Whereas the 8 channel suite can be installed on 2 computers at a time
I can use mine with 2 computers and store as many different profiles as I want on the computers. The one thing I would like is to be able to have 2 loaded on the pre-pro at one time so I can switch between them. They say they are looking into possibly adding the ability to store another Dirac on the unit because a lot of people are asking for this. Right now I have one for windows closed and AC on and another for windows open, but I have to use the computer to switch which is a bit of a pain. It is worth it though for the results I get.

In over my head.
post #15914 of 15918 Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I can use mine with 2 computers and store as many different profiles as I want on the computers. The one thing I would like is to be able to have 2 loaded on the pre-pro at one time so I can switch between them. They say they are looking into possibly adding the ability to store another Dirac on the unit because a lot of people are asking for this. Right now I have one for windows closed and AC on and another for windows open, but I have to use the computer to switch which is a bit of a pain. It is worth it though for the results I get.
How does that work?
You buy a pre/pro with Dirac loaded. But still load the software to the computer.

post #15915 of 15918 Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
How does that work?
You buy a pre/pro with Dirac loaded. But still load the software to the computer.
The Dirac program/ap is not loaded on the pre-pro, it just has a preset spot for the curve once you have it run. After the Dirac run the computer sends the data to Dirac to crunch and then you upload the completed curve file to the pro-pro. The XMC-1 has 3 storage spots. One for a Dirac curve and 2 others for your own adjustments or a REW curve.

In over my head.
post #15916 of 15918 Old Today, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I just took a look at the XMC-1...$1999. With the Dirac Emo version.
Says the Dirac Full is extra.
imo, one thing with Emo stays the same....I hate their industrial designs.
Just no way I would put their products in my rack....Parasound Halo Silver for me.
But to each his own.

post #15917 of 15918 Unread Today, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Agreed. @DreamWarrior was the forum member over yesterday and it was his first time hearing Dirac as far as I know. I'm pretty sure he was happy with what he heard with Dirac, but I don't want to put any words into his mouth. What were your thoughts about Dirac Brian?
As you mentioned, I think it is more noticeable on some songs than others, but it does a great job integrating your subs and having control over the curve is probably my favorite feature. But, of course, I have thought your room has sounded excellent ever since you put some treatments up and got the M2s in there, and I've always loved how clean your bass is. So, Dirac's adding a bit more "meat" through correcting that dip in your room and allowing you to pull the bass up, was certainly welcomed.

I'm just hoping they make it capable of time-aligning multiple subs, since I won't have a use for all its outputs and would like to matrix the sub channels to individually delay them without having to buy another box (2x4 or something similar). If they add that, I'll probably make the jump, too.
post #15918 of 15918 Unread Today, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
As you mentioned, I think it is more noticeable on some songs than others, but it does a great job integrating your subs and having control over the curve is probably my favorite feature. But, of course, I have thought your room has sounded excellent ever since you put some treatments up and got the M2s in there, and I've always loved how clean your bass is. So, Dirac's adding a bit more "meat" through correcting that dip in your room and allowing you to pull the bass up, was certainly welcomed.

I'm just hoping they make it capable of time-aligning multiple subs, since I won't have a use for all its outputs and would like to matrix the sub channels to individually delay them without having to buy another box (2x4 or something similar). If they add that, I'll probably make the jump, too.
I don't know much about Dirac Unity, but I think that might have the functionality you're looking for. Not sure if miniDSP products will ever see it though.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jbl Professional , Jbl Harman Kardon , Jbl G200 Bookshelf Speakers , Jbl S Center Center Channel Speaker , Jbl Balboa Sub 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Center Channel Speaker Sku Pas749099 , Jbl , Jbl Northridge E30 2 Way 6 Inch Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black Ash , Jbl Lc1 3 Way High Performance Dual 5 1 4 Inch Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Lc2 4 Way High Performance 6 Inch Dual Wall Mountable Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Center Channel Speakers , Athena
Gear in this thread - G200 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page