The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread - Page 533 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #15961 of 15977 Old 05-22-2015, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO HiFi Guy View Post
@rdgrimes : Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Good advice on all fronts, and consistent with feedback from other forums. I will follow your advice and revert to a non bi-amped configuration with 8u settings. Eventually I'll be listening to 5.2.2 (Atmos), not just 2.2 as I am currently, and your configuration makes more sense. I just got sucked in by that extra feature Marantz offers, and all those extra binding posts!
Regarding the getting sucked in part...
As you can pretty much derive fro rdgrimes comments, the bi-amping feature that most modern AVRs offer,
is more of a marketing gimmick to sell equipment than it is an actual feature that you get for your money.
Of course anyone who isn't familiar with how true bi-amping works wouldn't know the difference,
but once you find out, then you're better off knowing.
Of course that also doesn't mean that any given AVR that has the bi-amping option isn't a good piece of equipment,
especially a Marantz model which are usually quite good.
Again it's just a way to make the product appear to have more features for the money paid, or more features than a cheaper AVR.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15962 of 15977 Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I'm interested in talking about audio on this thread. If we had a disagreement let's agree to drop it.

Talking about speakers is more fun.
Has anyone checked out the new JBL Studio 2 series? I am using the Studio 230's in a desktop setup and they have an addictive quality. The detail and sound stage are amazing and for my taste the most outstanding thing is the way they present vocals. Vocals seem extremely "live" sounding and they lock right into the sweet spot as if you have a center channel. Airy cymbals and piano and they have a really tight authoritative way of presenting bass in hip hop and electronic music. Kick drums have a hit in the chest type of quality if I crank it but very tight, not loose or flabby. This is the only JBL speaker I have owned, I am curious if anyone has compared it to any of the classic JBL monitors I keep reading about. I have really lost my desire to upgrade, I know there is always trade offs and I really like the detailed sound staging strengths along with the clarity of these speakers.

Last edited by witchdoctor; Yesterday at 08:06 AM.
post #15963 of 15977 Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor View Post
Has anyone checked out the new JBL Studio 2 series? I am using the Studio 230's in a desktop setup and they have an addictive quality. The detail and sound stage are amazing and for my taste the most outstanding thing is the way they present vocals. Vocals seem extremely "live" sounding and they lock right into the sweet spot as if you have a center channel. Airy cymbals and piano and they have a really tight authoritative way of presenting bass in hip hop and electronic music. Kick drums have a hit in the chest type of quality if I crank it but very tight, not loose or flabby. This is the only JBL speaker I have owned, I am curious if anyone has compared it to any of the classic JBL monitors I keep reading about. I have really lost my desire to upgrade, I know there is always trade offs and I really like the detailed sound staging strengths along with the clarity of these speakers.
Great description of your experience with those speakers. I've been really interested in how good of a speaker line the Studio 2 is, as a local store here has some, but they weren't plugged in for demo the last time I visited. The bad part is that I'm upgrading my Northridge E-series speakers right now to JBL Studio L speakers, which are an older line. To be honest, I've been paranoid that the Studio 2's are superior.
post #15964 of 15977 Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

Your thoughts on the Studio 200 series is not surprising.
The 200s are basically, a trickle down from the M2 Reference Monitor.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Samsung BD player, Denon DVD-A player, MacBook Pro w/ Dirac Stereo Suite.
post #15965 of 15977 Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A couple weeks ago, I was in headbanging mode and my Denon AVR-X3000 cut out on me. I thought it was a thermal cutout but smelled something burnt in the room. I figured at the time that the amp survived the ordeal but maybe it was time to consider moving the HLS810's to the lounge room for a basic set up with the old AVR-1908 receiver taking the digital audio feed from the TV. In the process, I auditioned a set of LS40's and I loved the sound stage compared to the old HLS units so they would be the animals to take the place of the HLS series in my home studio.

When I moved the old HLS810's to the lounge, the burnt smell was back up my nostrils again and upon audibly inspecting the speakers with the old 1908 amp, I noticed the woofer in one of the boxes was essentially whispering some crackles. After having gone through all the trouble of modifying the X3000 to function as a true bi-amp with an Ashly outboard crossover unit, I realised that I didn't run the amp to the point of overheating but rather the woofer's voice coil was significantly reduced in resistance. Oh well, at least my amp runs more efficiently when I crank it now. It's dropped a significant number of degrees as a result.

So in a way, it's kind of a mixed blessing that I got my hands on the LS40's. I use them primarily for my digital audio workstation, complemented by a Genelec 7060B to fill the spectral gap. Sometimes though, I just throw on my tunes of the day and blast them. After 17 years of punishment, something had to give, I guess which is funny when it all sounded clean - I'd like to think I've got a pretty good ear for clipping.

In the lounge room, I've turned the HLS810's into a bit of a hybrid monster though. I can't seem to find any genuine spares for something so old and getting a new coil in there isn't really feasible. Instead, I had a spare SB Acoustics 8" driver I scored for nothing so I made myself a spacer-adapter out of some spare wood I had lying around, fitted it to the HLS810 cabinet and I must say, for a relatively unknown manufacturer, it doesn't sound half bad and it's certainly good enough for TV. I'm actually tempted to replace the other stock 6.5" driver with another one of these just to balance it all out.

While I don't have the space to join the M2 club, I'm pretty happy to have joined the LS club now.
post #15966 of 15977 Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstar View Post
While I don't have the space to join the M2 club, I'm pretty happy to have joined the LS club now.
Congrats! But make the space, it's worth it, haha! The M2's are just solid across the board and are a speaker that is not fully appreciated until a lot of content has been played through them.
post #15967 of 15977 Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

The bad part is that I'm upgrading my Northridge E-series speakers right now to JBL Studio L speakers, which are an older line. To be honest, I've been paranoid that the Studio 2's are superior

If you go to jbl.com and read through the reviews of the Studio 230 a guy posted that he owns the 830's (which are more expensive) but preferred the 230's. I can't say as I haven't listened to the 830's.
post #15968 of 15977 Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It can never be easy, can it? I just checked out his review.
post #15969 of 15977 Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstar View Post
In the lounge room, I've turned the HLS810's into a bit of a hybrid monster though. I can't seem to find any genuine spares for something so old and getting a new coil in there isn't really feasible.
The HLS810 uses an 8" driver with the part number of 332651-001. R208GS is the driver model. There was a pair that sold on eBay for $22 in March. Generally the best way to acquire parts for older speakers is to buy complete speakers and part them out. Anyhow there are drivers and complete speakers available on eBay right now.
post #15970 of 15977 Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Actually, the R208GS is a 6.5" speaker. If it were 8", the SB Acoustics driver should've just dropped in but it didn't. You need to measure the cone diameter, not the entire frame, which does then measure in at 8".

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
post #15971 of 15977 Old Today, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've been a long time member of the JBL family since I first bought JBL L-100 "century" speakers (when I was 15) that I still own and use with Adcom separates for two-channel listening to this day.

Recently, I decided it was time to join the AV bandwagon (kids and family have a way of delaying your passions and reordering your priorities) and picked up a 5.2.2 system based on the JBL Studio 5 series; 570 fronts, 530 rears, 520C center, two 550p subs, some JBL ceiling speakers for Atmos, and a Marantz 7009 to drive everything. Wow!! I am so impressed with the sound quality of the 5-series. It has opened my ears to a whole new listening experience, with a "you are there" musical perspective. Fun, musical, enjoyable, and engaging are all appropriate adjectives. All this with mostly 2.2 music listening for now. I'm still waiting for the new 2.2 HDMI DRM spec to appear in the Oppo line (not to mention replacing my current tube TV with a 4K HDR model when the budget allows), before the whole experience will be realized. I know there are probably many other better-sounding setups out there, but I'm guessing few would sound better at my level of expenditure. I also know I won't get much HiFi credibility outside of this "family" because JBL tends to be vastly underrated in that community. Oh well, their loss. Thanks JBL, you rock (and jazz, and classical, and...)!

I'm really looking forward to my home theater experience now...
post #15972 of 15977 Old Today, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 106
^^^Yep, the 500 series is sweet.
My son and I auditioned the 570, playing full range, when I was in Japan last year.
The only thing missing was the low bass...to be expected having only dual 5.25" woofs.

About 4K, I don't think people are realizing, is the distance one has to sit to get the benefit of 4K over 1080P...
For where I sit, 8.5+ ft, 60" 1080P is right on. for that same distance, w/4K..the screen has to be 75". For a 60" 4K, the distance has to be 5.5 ft to gain the benefit. 5.5 ft to my LCRs is just way too close and I have my room setup for music, not TV.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Samsung BD player, Denon DVD-A player, MacBook Pro w/ Dirac Stereo Suite.
post #15973 of 15977 Old Today, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post
^^^Yep, the 500 series is sweet.
My son and I auditioned the 570, playing full range, when I was in Japan last year.
The only thing missing was the low bass...to be expected having only dual 5.25" woofs.

About 4K, I don't think people are realizing, is the distance one has to sit to get the benefit of 4K over 1080P...
For where I sit, 8.5+ ft, 60" 1080P is right on. for that same distance, w/4K..the screen has to be 75". For a 60" 4K, the distance has to be 5.5 ft to gain the benefit. 5.5 ft to my LCRs is just way too close and I have my room setup for music, not TV.
Yes, the low bass is missing in the 570. I knew that and opted for the subs instead of going the 590 route.

RE 4K: I want 75", and I expect the big picture difference will actually be the new HDR (wider color gamut) technologies, likely to show up in higher-end (e.g. 4K) models first. I just don't know if I will be able to afford that in the next year (Black Friday?) because the price won't have dropped enough yet
post #15974 of 15977 Old Today, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I've been a long time member of the JBL family since I first bought JBL L-100 "century" speakers (when I was 15) that I still own and use with Adcom separates for two-channel listening to this day.

Recently, I decided it was time to join the AV bandwagon (kids and family have a way of delaying your passions and reordering your priorities) and picked up a 5.2.2 system based on the JBL Studio 5 series; 570 fronts, 530 rears, 520C center, two 550p subs, some JBL ceiling speakers for Atmos, and a Marantz 7009 to drive everything. Wow!! I am so impressed with the sound quality of the 5-series. It has opened my ears to a whole new listening experience, with a "you are there" musical perspective. Fun, musical, enjoyable, and engaging are all appropriate adjectives. All this with mostly 2.2 music listening for now. I'm still waiting for the new 2.2 HDMI DRM spec to appear in the Oppo line (not to mention replacing my current tube TV with a 4K HDR model when the budget allows), before the whole experience will be realized. I know there are probably many other better-sounding setups out there, but I'm guessing few would sound better at my level of expenditure. I also know I won't get much HiFi credibility outside of this "family" because JBL tends to be vastly underrated in that community. Oh well, their loss. Thanks JBL, you rock (and jazz, and classical, and...)!

Thanks for posting this. I would appreciate your thoughts on how the 570's or 530's compare to the L-100's.Thanks
post #15975 of 15977 Old Today, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting this. I would appreciate your thoughts on how the 570's or 530's compare to the L-100's.Thanks
There is no comparison. The 570 or 530 wins hands-down, except on bass extension.

The L-100 was/is a very enjoyable listening experience, with an amazing bottom end (which you might expect with that powerful 12" ported woofer) and pronounced mid-range that exemplified the "west coast sound" in so many recording studios of the time that both made and damaged (depending on who you ask) JBL's reputation.

The 570/530 is a much more accurate speaker, with far better high-frequency extension and accuracy. Despite the horn design, the sound is not in your face. It is surprisingly refined, musical, neutral, and balanced (though some reviewers still maintain it is "colored"). The 530 is quite surprisingly good for its smaller form factor and price. The 570 as a bit more bottom end and, perhaps, very slightly improved lower mid-range. The 530 needs 24" stands, whereas the 570 puts the tweeter roughly at seated ear level without stands. The fact that the cross-over for the tweeter on the 5-series is an octave lower than normally found is also an advantage to the series. All of the series--including the center speaker--share the same tweeter (with a very broad frequency coverage), so all models are VERY well matched to work with each other despite big cabinet size differences.

I still love my L100's, but technology has made very meaningful differences in the interim. Modern speaker designs are much better IMHO Fortunately, the 5-series is also fun, like the L-100 was and is.
witchdoctor likes this.
post #15976 of 15977 Old Today, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:

Some have probably seen this, but this is why JBL speakers are solid designs and have consistently great SQ

post #15977 of 15977 Old Today, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Some have probably seen this, but this is why JBL speakers are solid designs and have consistently great SQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01V_7WamALM
Great video. The other big advantage to JBL is they are also involved on the production side along with Harman. Many of the engineers involved with recording music and movies master with JBL's. How could that same sound they mixed in the studio not sound great coming out of JBL speakers designed for your home? Frank Filipetti is a well know Grammy winning producer that mixes on JBL's. Try playing back his mixes through your JBL speakers and listen to how everything just locks in:
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/frank...134275/credits
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jbl Professional , Jbl Harman Kardon , Jbl G200 Bookshelf Speakers , Jbl S Center Center Channel Speaker , Jbl Balboa Sub 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Center Channel Speaker Sku Pas749099 , Jbl , Jbl Northridge E30 2 Way 6 Inch Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black Ash , Jbl Lc1 3 Way High Performance Dual 5 1 4 Inch Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Lc2 4 Way High Performance 6 Inch Dual Wall Mountable Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Center Channel Speakers , Athena
Gear in this thread - G200 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page