The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread - Page 534 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #15991 of 16007 Old 05-27-2015, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Furniture grade cabinets and finish are important to some (maybe many), and to each his own. I buy speakers to listen to them, not look at them or sit on them, so cabinet aesthetics is not even a consideration when I buy a speaker.

I think JBL/Harman is currently THE industry leader in applied acoustic science and research as relates to speaker design and that is far more important to me than speaker aesthetics.
Cabs are not important to me either! A black box with Duratex is just my style if the sound is good. I don't care what anybody thinks either. I do have a soft spot for Salk Speakers. I was looking at the Veracity HT3 and had my cabinets all picked out. They were going to be beautiful. But went a different direction. I am still going to order them one of these days! On another note I was reading a thread about a guy wanting to upgrading and the wife was giving him a hard time and told him NO!! They had to be smaller than what he had already and they had to be WAF!! I just love those threads, I just could not imagine being that hen pecked LOL.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 05-27-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15992 of 16007 Old 05-27-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Cabs are not important to me either! A black box with Duratex is just my style if the sound is good. I don't care what anybody thinks either.
Yeah, I know thats true because we've owned the same ugly asz speakers
post #15993 of 16007 Old 05-27-2015, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
I emailed that guy several times and no reply. Are these the ones listed for 15K?

My M2's are shipping to me today. Hope to have them in my room by mid next week.
Yes, those are the ones I saw.
post #15994 of 16007 Old 05-27-2015, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Yes, those are the ones I saw.
They've been listed for quite some time.
post #15995 of 16007 Old 05-27-2015, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
Any one here hear the 3678? .
The guys over at Film-Tech, who sell and install all kinds of cinema speakers don't have very good things to say about the 3678. They do like the 4722's, just not as much as the QSC line.
post #15996 of 16007 Old 05-27-2015, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager View Post
The guys over at Film-Tech, who sell and install all kinds of cinema speakers don't have very good things to say about the 3678. They do like the 4722's, just not as much as the QSC line.
Interesting, I know the horn is a bit different than the others but it can be run active. Which was the main reason I liked it, that and its size.
post #15997 of 16007 Old 05-27-2015, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Whatever you do, don't miss the Happy Birthday Biggie Playlist on Tidal. A lot of the tracks are remastered and sound sublime through my JBL's
http://tidalhifi.com/track/40453253
post #15998 of 16007 Old 05-28-2015, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 127
OH incase anyone didnt see this. the LSR jbls are buy one get one half off at sweet water now. I love my 305's best computer desk speakers I heard. Imagine if they came out with a 15" version of this speaker? with like 500 watts to it like a poor man M2.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR308
post #15999 of 16007 Old 05-28-2015, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Some have probably seen this, but this is why JBL speakers are solid designs and have consistently great SQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01V_7WamALM
Great video.

Like a honey bee beatin on my screen door, I gotta a little buzz and my head is sore.
post #16000 of 16007 Old 05-28-2015, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Yeah, I know thats true because we've owned the same ugly asz speakers
While others are just anal about having high gloss wood finishes, perfect for kid's fingerprints. lol
I am sure my 212s covered with elephant skin vinyl would bring many criticisms if people saw them in room...but I do not care, that covering serves a purpose. Better sound.
Although, 95% of the time, the grille baskets are in place.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Samsung BD player, Denon DVD-A player, MacBook Pro w/ Dirac Stereo Suite.
post #16001 of 16007 Old 05-28-2015, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The album Motown the Musical is a great Frank Filipetti mix that he likely mixed on the M2's or another JBL monitor. Turn up track number 8 (War) and hear how tight this mix is even at a loud volume. Almost like live music.
http://tidalhifi.com/album/20379237

More on Frank and JBL_ https://www.soundtech.co.uk/jbl/news...rank-filipetti

Last edited by witchdoctor; 05-28-2015 at 04:04 PM.
post #16002 of 16007 Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Ran across this on another thread. It's a great Toole video based on applied and research science. Gotta love it.

Thanks for a great find @CherylJosie !
csnow likes this.
post #16003 of 16007 Old Today, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Ran across this on another thread. It's a great Toole video based on applied and research science. Gotta love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrpUDuUtxPM

^^^
Thanks for posting, Goodoc, I really enjoyed Floyd's presentation (thus proving my inner geek according to my wife). The video raised a few questions for me though...

Does JBL post their very sophisticated test results somewhere as Floyd seems to be advocating? Their website sucks and all they post in specifications is X to X frequency -6db, which Floyd scoffs at from other manufacturers. I want my tested Studio 570 curves

Also, at the very end of the video Floyd shows some sample curves before he gets to the stellar M2 curve. One of those was an excellent $1,100 speaker he does not name. Enquiring minds want to know!

Seriously though, are the rigorous test results posted somewhere?
post #16004 of 16007 Old Today, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrpUDuUtxPM

Amazing video.

Like a honey bee beatin on my screen door, I gotta a little buzz and my head is sore.

Last edited by csnow; Today at 02:08 PM.
post #16005 of 16007 Old Today, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Posed this question to Gooddoc via a PM since he was providing some input on a related thread, but I figured I should toss it out to the general public as well to get some additional feedback:

What are the pros and cons (if any) to trading my front, center, and left Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL tweeters and ATI 6003 amp for two JBL LSR708i's actively powered by a Crown DCi amp, thus running a phantom center? I think the Ascend's are terrific speakers, perhaps lacking only a bit of dynamics at moderate to high SPLs, but if their SQ can be matched or even improved for less money overall, then I'd be game. For context, the room is a mixed-use living room where only the MLP really matters, and the system gets used for 60% music and 40% HT.

Reading over what I just typed, I feel a little ridiculous, but curiosity continues to get the better of me.
post #16006 of 16007 Old Today, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipless View Post
Posed this question to Gooddoc via a PM since he was providing some input on a related thread, but I figured I should toss it out to the general public as well to get some additional feedback:

What are the pros and cons (if any) to trading my front, center, and left Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL tweeters and ATI 6003 amp for two JBL LSR708i's actively powered by a Crown DCi amp, thus running a phantom center? I think the Ascend's are terrific speakers, perhaps lacking only a bit of dynamics at moderate to high SPLs, but if their SQ can be matched or even improved for less money overall, then I'd be game. For context, the room is a mixed-use living room where only the MLP really matters, and the system gets used for 60% music and 40% HT.

Reading over what I just typed, I feel a little ridiculous, but curiosity continues to get the better of me.
Why not a center channel? A phantom center is better than a compromised, non-identical center, but not better than an identical center.

I haven't heard the Ascend, but it's my guess that the LSR708 would be significantly more dynamic and more accurate. I have read, although I don't know this for certain, that the 7 series are exceptional speakers with accuracy on par with the M2's.

Whether they will sound as good or better to you than the Ascends is impossible to say.
post #16007 of 16007 Old Today, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Why not a center channel? A phantom center is better than a compromised, non-identical center, but not better than an identical center.

I haven't heard the Ascend, but it's my guess that the LSR708 would be significantly more dynamic and more accurate. I have read, although I don't know this for certain, that the 7 series are exceptional speakers with accuracy on par with the M2's.

Whether they will sound as good or better to you than the Ascends is impossible to say.
Thanks for the reply. The only reason I am contemplating a phantom center is because the LSR708i will not fit vertically in the space below my display. So I would have to turn it horizontally. Would doing so still be preferable to a phantom center?

Have the measurements been released for the 708i's by the way? I haven't been able to find them as of yet, but I also read that they measure on par with the M2s (somehow).

It's definitely impossible to say which would sound better, but sometimes, an educated guess is a good as it gets. Hopefully, I will have the opportunity to own both at the same time in order to directly compare them, but that might not be possible. Is the Crown DCi on par with the reference ATI series that I own? I know nothing about those amps...
Reply Speakers

Tags
520c , Athena , Center Channel Speaker Sku Pas749099 , Center Channel Speakers , Jbl , Jbl Balboa Sub 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Jbl G200 Bookshelf Speakers , Jbl Harman Kardon , Jbl Lc1 3 Way High Performance Dual 5 1 4 Inch Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Lc2 4 Way High Performance 6 Inch Dual Wall Mountable Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Northridge E30 2 Way 6 Inch Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black Ash , Jbl Professional , Jbl S Center Center Channel Speaker , jbl studio 5 series
Gear in this thread - G200 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page