The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread - Page 536 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #16051 of 16072 Old 06-18-2015, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 28
This looks like a great setup. as for a receiver the Denon should have plenty of power and is Atmos capable if you ever decide to upgrade. The new Denon receiver models will be available in October if you want to use another new format called DTS-X.

Denon Launches AVRs Offering Affordable Atmos and DTS:X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16052 of 16072 Old 06-25-2015, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi
Need an advice on upgrading my AVR. I have JBL Studio 530, 520c, ES10 system and BK XLS200 sub. Currently I have Harman Kardon AVR 255 driving my system. Main focus is to improve music experience and still have good HT. What should I look at?

Thanks
post #16053 of 16072 Old 06-25-2015, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by N'JAN View Post
Hi
Need an advice on upgrading my AVR. I have JBL Studio 530, 520c, ES10 system and BK XLS200 sub. Currently I have Harman Kardon AVR 255 driving my system. Main focus is to improve music experience and still have good HT. What should I look at?

Thanks
Denon and JBL mate well. That is what I use from music and HT.
post #16054 of 16072 Old 06-25-2015, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Hi

Thanks
The first question to answer is what does "upgrading" mean? What is it you want that the HK doesn't offer? You'll have to go pretty far up the food chain to get substantially more power than the HK delivers. It has pre-outs so you can just add an amp if power is your goal.
post #16055 of 16072 Old 06-25-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The first question to answer is what does "upgrading" mean? What is it you want that the HK doesn't offer? You'll have to go pretty far up the food chain to get substantially more power than the HK delivers. It has pre-outs so you can just add an amp if power is your goal.
Ok, power is not my goal as my room is just 20 sqm. I want the best performance in music as you could expect from integrated amp and maintain a good HT. I know that what I want is far more pricey than my Harman is so my only concern is how far up should I look so I can have both good stereo and HT and I want to get the most out of my speakers.
post #16056 of 16072 Old 06-25-2015, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Are you wanting to go 5.1, 7.1, 7.2, 7.2.4 (Atmos/DTS X)? This will determine what type of receiver you should use.
post #16057 of 16072 Old 06-25-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnow View Post
Are you wanting to go 5.1, 7.1, 7.2, 7.2.4 (Atmos/DTS X)? This will determine what type of receiver you should use.
No I don't need any Atmos/DTS X like features 5.1 is good. Performance is all I want.
post #16058 of 16072 Old 06-25-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Ok, power is not my goal as my room is just 20 sqm. I want the best performance in music as you could expect from integrated amp and maintain a good HT. I know that what I want is far more pricey than my Harman is so my only concern is how far up should I look so I can have both good stereo and HT and I want to get the most out of my speakers.
You're still being a bit vague about what you expect from a new AVR that you don't already have. Movie audio is far less demanding than music. None of your speakers are in any way demanding, and will sound much the same on any decent AVR.
post #16059 of 16072 Old 06-25-2015, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-R View Post
Hi guys,

I'm new here and I need your advise.

planning to buy home theatre sound system, my experience in this filed is next to nothing. but after a long research I figured getting the following won't be too bad :

2x JBL Studio 570
2x JBL Studio 530
JBL Studio 520
JBL Studio 550

now Im looking for a receiver and the Denon AVR-X4100 looks good.

but Im not sure what receiver is better match for thoes speakers, any idea ?

and sorry for my English.
I have the same setup except I'm using two 550 subs and JBL ceiling speakers for a 5.2.2 configuration supporting Atmos. I'm driving everything with a Marantz SR7009 AVR and I'm quite pleased. If you can, I recommend holding off on your AVR purchase until later in 2015 when more HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 AVRs supporting the newer surround formats are available. This will future-proof your investment for a while and fully support 4k displays (AVRs without HDCP 2.2 won't fully support copy-protected 4K content). Marantz and Denon AVRs are made by the same company, but are supposed to have slightly different pre-amps. The Marantz has a good reputation for "musicality" (whatever that means) and reviewers often prefer Marantz over Denon for this reason, but I can't confirm as I haven't had the opportunity for side-by-side listening. I can say I'm really enjoying the musicality of my system (mostly 2ch listening for me at the moment), so maybe a Marantz SR7010 is an option for you (scheduled for release late August-ish?).
post #16060 of 16072 Old 06-25-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
You're still being a bit vague about what you expect from a new AVR that you don't already have. Movie audio is far less demanding than music. None of your speakers are in any way demanding, and will sound much the same on any decent AVR.
That's why I said that I expect more musicality from a new AVR. I also consider going stereo integrated amp but would be much better to have all in one receiver that would do both music and HT.
Now to be clear, will NAD T757/8 or Marantz SR700x be an improvement over my Harman in terms of music or I need something like NAD T777 or Marants separates? Or both will be overkill for my speakers and money wasting. I don't have oportunity to listen any of them so any help is much appreciated.

Last edited by N'JAN; 06-25-2015 at 09:05 PM.
post #16061 of 16072 Old 06-25-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
That's why I said that I expect more musicality from a new AVR. I also consider going stereo integrated amp but would be much better to have all in one receiver that would do both music and HT.
Now to be clear, will NAD T757/8 or Marantz SR700x be an improvement over my Harman in terms of music or I need something like NAD T777 or Marants separates? Or both will be overkill for my speakers and money wasting. I don't have oportunity to listen any of them so any help is much appreciated.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm quite pleased with my Marantz SR7009. It has quite a bit more power than your current HK AVR and that alone should improve your dynamic range. Secondly, you may see some significant improvement in your room eq using the very advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT32 feature.
post #16062 of 16072 Old 06-25-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Hi

Thanks
Also, I forgot to mention, make sure those 530s have the horn-loaded compression driver at ear level when seated. 24" stands will work nicely. Those are VERY impressive speakers for their size and cost. My $0.02.
post #16063 of 16072 Old 06-26-2015, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I just started a post about this but figured I would ask here. Anyone actually hear the 3678's?
post #16064 of 16072 Old 06-26-2015, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Musicality

Quote:
Since your desire is more "musicality" I may suggest you to consider a HK3770. Your JBL speakers will go well with it.
It is a stereo amplifier, and you can use your front pre-outs of your HK 255, to feed your front channels.
You may listen to nice music, using your stereo amplifier, when youre not watching movies.
Just an opinion!
post #16065 of 16072 Old 06-27-2015, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracGuate View Post
Since your desire is more "musicality" I may suggest you to consider a HK3770. Your JBL speakers will go well with it.
It is a stereo amplifier, and you can use your front pre-outs of your HK 255, to feed your front channels.
You may listen to nice music, using your stereo amplifier, when youre not watching movies.
Just an opinion!
Harman 3770 doesn't have MAIN IN so can't use it as power amp for my fronts.
post #16066 of 16072 Old 06-27-2015, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 685
As much as I like the simplicity of Omnimic overall I don't think I'm going to continue using it.

I guess it's the Omnimic mic, but the differences in these graphs are just too much too ignore.

Both measuring the M2 @ 1M in-room 1/6 resolution(with kids running around, and microwave, and cooking, and general noise), so not ideal conditions at all and not exact mic positions. But theme remained at all positions.

Thoughts on why they're so different?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M2 REW 1-6 @1M.PNG
Views:	223
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	799090   Click image for larger version

Name:	M2@1M_2 1-6.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	799098  
post #16067 of 16072 Old 06-27-2015, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Harman 3770 doesn't have MAIN IN so can't use it as power amp for my fronts.

Sorry... Didnt check that detail...

I have a HK from the stone age that has it.
Why dont you try an Onkyo?, but I would wait until the new line comes at the end of July...
Good Luck in your search!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HK6850om.pdf (865.2 KB, 3 views)
post #16068 of 16072 Old 06-28-2015, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
As much as I like the simplicity of Omnimic overall I don't think I'm going to continue using it.

I guess it's the Omnimic mic, but the differences in these graphs are just too much too ignore.

Both measuring the M2 @ 1M in-room 1/6 resolution(with kids running around, and microwave, and cooking, and general noise), so not ideal conditions at all and not exact mic positions. But theme remained at all positions.

Thoughts on why they're so different?

Seeing them side by side really reinforces my thoughts that the omnimic seems to calculate 1/6 smoothing completely different than REW (omnimic's 1/6 smoothing seems closer to 1/3 smoothing on REW).

Except for the high freq the curves are pretty close in shape. I find that with REW my high freq response often measures radically different in consecutive sweeps. May be a glitch in my computer.

post #16069 of 16072 Old 06-28-2015, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Seeing them side by side really reinforces my thoughts that the omnimic seems to calculate 1/6 smoothing completely different than REW (omnimic's 1/6 smoothing seems closer to 1/3 smoothing on REW).

Except for the high freq the curves are pretty close in shape. I find that with REW my high freq response often measures radically different in consecutive sweeps. May be a glitch in my computer.
I haven't had that issue with REW. But the high frequency roll-off with OmniMic is severe and I'm not sure why. I have two mics and they're both like that. And the graphs are totally different as you pointed out with Omnimic seemingly far more smoothed than REW at all resolutions. I don't like that much. I prefer REW's graphs. Could just be mic differences too though. The REW mic is a Cross Spectrum calibrated UMIK-1.
post #16070 of 16072 Old 06-29-2015, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, ran across an actual M2 review. This guy is a man of few words, lol. They're amazing....'nuff said. Haha!

http://www.audiophilenirvana.com/aud...onitor-review/

Quote:
It was then that I noticed one of the engineers texting on his smartphone. “Who are you texting?”, I asked. “I’m not texting. I’m putting my B&W 802 Diamond’s on Audiogon.”
The above conversation may be all that you need to know about the JBL M2. For me, it changed my opinion of horns forever, and created a new world standard in speaker performance.
"World standard"....that's the kind of stuff the M2's make you think when you listen to them.

Last edited by Gooddoc; 06-29-2015 at 12:41 AM.
post #16071 of 16072 Old 06-29-2015, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I haven't had that issue with REW. But the high frequency roll-off with OmniMic is severe and I'm not sure why. I have two mics and they're both like that. And the graphs are totally different as you pointed out with Omnimic seemingly far more smoothed than REW at all resolutions. I don't like that much. I prefer REW's graphs. Could just be mic differences too though. The REW mic is a Cross Spectrum calibrated UMIK-1.
I use a Cross Spectrum calibrated Dayton Audio microphone. Seems weird how the measurements above 10 kHz are so variable. I often have to measure each setting two or three times to ensure I get repeatable curves. Every so often the high end just dies compared to other measurements (microphone in exact same place, just separate sweeps with zero changes). I am thinking it must be a glitch in my sound card.

post #16072 of 16072 Old 06-29-2015, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
I use a Cross Spectrum calibrated Dayton Audio microphone. Seems weird how the measurements above 10 kHz are so variable. I often have to measure each setting two or three times to ensure I get repeatable curves. Every so often the high end just dies compared to other measurements (microphone in exact same place, just separate sweeps with zero changes). I am thinking it must be a glitch in my sound card.
There's always some changes up there sweep to sweep, but typically not huge. Yeah, not sure what the problem might be.
Reply Speakers

Tags
520c , Athena , Center Channel Speaker Sku Pas749099 , Center Channel Speakers , Jbl , Jbl Balboa Sub 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Jbl G200 Bookshelf Speakers , Jbl Harman Kardon , Jbl Lc1 3 Way High Performance Dual 5 1 4 Inch Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Lc2 4 Way High Performance 6 Inch Dual Wall Mountable Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Northridge E30 2 Way 6 Inch Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black Ash , Jbl Professional , Jbl S Center Center Channel Speaker , jbl studio 5 series
Gear in this thread - G200 by PriceGrabber.com