The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread - Page 568 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 353Likes

post #17011 of 17029 Old 12-05-2016, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephTonyStark View Post
^^^^Turns out I get lucky and the speaker arrives today. More time to play over the weekend.
So, what are your first impressions? How does it compare to the LC2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17012 of 17029 Old 12-06-2016, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by raschneider View Post
So, what are your first impressions? How does it compare to the LC2?
Umm, let's see.

My LC2's been in use for about a year and a half now, upgraded from a Northridge EC35. The LS Center, I played for a couple of hours over the course of a day and then had to swap the LC2 back because I was assembling new AV furniture and needed the new toy to sit elsewhere for a bit. I say all that to say, I wonder what happens after this thing is really broken in?

I suppose the simplest comparison is that whatever the LC2 does, the LS Center does it easier. The LS has slightly less bass impact, which I expected when I compared the frequency responses in the manuals, but everything else about it edges the LC2 out on, for lack of a better word, strength. I listened to music in all channel stereo on the LS with only my center amp on (even killed the subs) and whenever I stopped staring right at the speaker, my mind wasn't really pinpointing where it was. There was just a lot of very clear, effortless sound coming from the vicinity of the TV. The LC2 is more obvious in its placement, kind of a "hey, look at me" directivity to it while also having a bit more of a confined sound. I define "confined" as being a bit more boxed in, more restrained, while the LS breathes out into the space more. Even my wife noticed this after initially being unable to give me any definitive opinion on what differences she was hearing. When I put it at louder-than-usual volumes, the LC2 seems to be yelling at you (not an insult to its abilities, just saying) whereas the LS seems to reproduce the same volume level with more ease. They have similar amounts of detail, and I'm wary of saying which is better because they're so close in that sense. I didn't feel like I lost anything in a sound mix in either; I just felt like the same details resolved by the LS had a bit more body to them. Which I like a lot.

I did play several demo files ripped from various Blu-rays, and a lot of what I said above is less defined because of there being so much more to listen for in a movie sound field. That's going to take more listening, but after the music tests, I think the LS is going to blend better with the 590s and have more of an ability to pull me into what I'm watching\listening to thanks to its more holographic reproduction.
skypop and bluestang like this.

TV: Samsung 55" 3D LED | Sources: PS4; Panasonic DMP-BT460; HDTV cable | Processor: Marantz AV8802A | Amps: Emotiva XPA-1L\100 (LR\C); UPA-5 | Fronts: JBL Studio 590 | Center: JBL Studio LC2 | Surrounds: JBL P520WS | Subs: PSA S1500 (2)
post #17013 of 17029 Old 12-06-2016, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Umm, let's see.

My LC2's been in use for about a year and a half now, upgraded from a Northridge EC35. The LS Center, I played for a couple of hours over the course of a day and then had to swap the LC2 back because I was assembling new AV furniture and needed the new toy to sit elsewhere for a bit. I say all that to say, I wonder what happens after this thing is really broken in?

I suppose the simplest comparison is that whatever the LC2 does, the LS Center does it easier. The LS has slightly less bass impact, which I expected when I compared the frequency responses in the manuals, but everything else about it edges the LC2 out on, for lack of a better word, strength. I listened to music in all channel stereo on the LS with only my center amp on (even killed the subs) and whenever I stopped staring right at the speaker, my mind wasn't really pinpointing where it was. There was just a lot of very clear, effortless sound coming from the vicinity of the TV. The LC2 is more obvious in its placement, kind of a "hey, look at me" directivity to it while also having a bit more of a confined sound. I define "confined" as being a bit more boxed in, more restrained, while the LS breathes out into the space more. Even my wife noticed this after initially being unable to give me any definitive opinion on what differences she was hearing. When I put it at louder-than-usual volumes, the LC2 seems to be yelling at you (not an insult to its abilities, just saying) whereas the LS seems to reproduce the same volume level with more ease. They have similar amounts of detail, and I'm wary of saying which is better because they're so close in that sense. I didn't feel like I lost anything in a sound mix in either; I just felt like the same details resolved by the LS had a bit more body to them. Which I like a lot.

I did play several demo files ripped from various Blu-rays, and a lot of what I said above is less defined because of there being so much more to listen for in a movie sound field. That's going to take more listening, but after the music tests, I think the LS is going to blend better with the 590s and have more of an ability to pull me into what I'm watching\listening to thanks to its more holographic reproduction.
Has anyone compared the LS to 520c?
post #17014 of 17029 Old 12-06-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumead View Post
Has anyone compared the LS to 520c?
I might be soon. My 520C arrives tomorrow, just haven't decided if I'll actually open it as I can't see how it would compare on a size (referring to the woofers, mainly) basis.

TV: Samsung 55" 3D LED | Sources: PS4; Panasonic DMP-BT460; HDTV cable | Processor: Marantz AV8802A | Amps: Emotiva XPA-1L\100 (LR\C); UPA-5 | Fronts: JBL Studio 590 | Center: JBL Studio LC2 | Surrounds: JBL P520WS | Subs: PSA S1500 (2)
post #17015 of 17029 Old 12-08-2016, 09:02 AM

So I opened it.

My LC2 probably isn't long for my set up. The 520C versus the LS Center is another matter at the moment, but I am seriously impressed by what the 520C can do. Again, I wonder what happens if break-in contributes to its abilities.

post #17016 of 17029 Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So which one are you keeping, or haven't you decided yet?

The prices on the LS60, LS40 and LS Center are mighty tempting. I Only can do 5.1 for now. I was always looking at the Studio L890, L820 and LC2, but if the LS is substantially better then it is worth the extra couple Benjamins. Currently have the S312II, N CenterII and N24II
post #17017 of 17029 Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestang View Post

The prices on the LS60, LS40 and LS Center are mighty tempting. I Only can do 5.1 for now. I was always looking at the Studio L890, L820 and LC2, but if the LS is substantially better then it is worth the extra couple Benjamins. Currently have the S312II, N CenterII and N24II
Well, the LC2 will probably be sold at this point. The other two I'm OK with keeping since I have a small listening space now so I'll be using the 520C for now, but feel as though the LS Center would be better when I'm able to set up in a bigger area. Hate to give up the LS Center for the price I got it.

I know what you mean about the LS vs L setup options. One thing that comes to mind, though, is the surround part. The wall mounting ability of the L820 is a hard quality to ignore when compared to the pure bookshelf form of the LS40. But maybe you have a way to set up the surrounds without much need for that. Other than that, they're both strong centers. I lean toward preferring the LS Center. The tower part I don't have a reference point other than having once owned L890s, but haven't heard the LS60.
bluestang likes this.

post #17018 of 17029 Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After a couple months of using the Studio 235C Center with my 590s, I am still impressed. So this is yet another center to consider.

All of these centers being discussed are good, so the question becomes which is the best for a particular set up, room, and your favorite media content?
JosephTonyStark likes this.

Tom

Samsung UN55HU8550/SEK-3500U 4K TV, and UBD-K8500 BR Player. Receiver: Denon AVR-X2200W configured 5.1.2.
JBL Spearkers: Center Studio 235C, 2ea- Studio 590 for L&R, ES250PBK Sub,
2ea - ES90 Towers for L&R surround, 2ea - Studio 230 for front height (Atmos).
post #17019 of 17029 Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Well, the LC2 will probably be sold at this point. The other two I'm OK with keeping since I have a small listening space now so I'll be using the 520C for now, but feel as though the LS Center would be better when I'm able to set up in a bigger area. Hate to give up the LS Center for the price I got it.

I know what you mean about the LS vs L setup options. One thing that comes to mind, though, is the surround part. The wall mounting ability of the L820 is a hard quality to ignore when compared to the pure bookshelf form of the LS40. But maybe you have a way to set up the surrounds without much need for that. Other than that, they're both strong centers. I lean toward preferring the LS Center. The tower part I don't have a reference point other than having once owned L890s, but haven't heard the LS60.
Yeah, I need to wall mount the surrounds so that's important to look at. I unfortunately have to put my surrounds in an hybrid placement -- about 8 FT up and behind and slightly off to the sides, then angled down and in towards the listening positions. Hence only 5.1 instead of 7.1

Send me a PM with some info on that LC2
post #17020 of 17029 Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

Quote:

The LS's replaced an JBL SVA setup for me. Several years ago I had tried a Studio L set ( LC1, L880, L830). They didn't last long, the SVA's where just better all around. After that I decided that I needed to up my budget to get what I was looking for. I have been planning on Revel set up until I ran across the LS's on amazon. For the price point I had to give them a shot. I feel like I got 85-90% of the way to what I was looking at with the Revels for a much lower cost. The space I using them in is a larger open living room/kitchen/dining room area. The biggest difference to me is in the center channel, the detail and clarity. The SVA center struggled with that, and LC1 even more so. I never tried the LC2 because it just wouldn't fit in my configuration.

I have no personal experience with the Studio 5's. But I would to think with the 4" driver vs a 6.5" driver in the center channel, the LS would do a better job at filling a large space. Just based on that I would go with the LS's over the 5's, for my space anyway. Another consideration for me was also that the LS is a sealed cabinet vs the 520C's rear port.

I ended up with four LS60's and a center. Given that the LS40's and the LS60's are the same cost right now, and that I would need to stand mount the 40's(which if you had to buy stands would make them more $$ than the 60's), doing four towers just made more sense to me. It also gave me the same driver load all the way around. All in for the five speakers was just under $1500.00, can't beat that.

From my experience I would say that the LS are much better than the Studio L's and probably equal to the 5's or maybe better depending on what you are needing from a center channel.
bluestang likes this.
post #17021 of 17029 Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM

Sounds like you have an area like me. An open floor plan on half my ranch that is the living/dining/kitchen area. About 18 ft x 30 ft with a vaulted ceiling that starts at just under 8 ft at both 18 ft wide ends and goes up to about 12 ft in the center of the 30 ft long. My S312 fronts can fill the area and then some (I measured 116db with AC/DC's Thunderstruck from a 28/48 FLAC Vinyl rip with 15 more clicks to go to 0 on my Kenwood VR-4700 Receiver) when playing 2 CH music or 5.1 concerts like Eagle's Hell Freezes Over. My windows will move and so does the entry door, so they move plenty of volume in that area. Do pretty well with movies, but I'm definitely missing out on quite a bit of low end effects. I need a sub too.

Last edited by bluestang; Yesterday at 05:20 PM.
post #17022 of 17029 Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have been intrigued by JBL since I bought a pair of LSR305 for my computer set up. Coupled with an Asus soundcard and cheap Dayton sub, the sound is sublime.

I bought a pair of used 8330A for my side surrounds to go with my KEF Q900 and 600C and was again impressed. Cant put into words but there is a cohesiveness to the sound that I havent heard since my Brothers audiophile systems. I don't know what IT is but these JBL's have IT. Directivity? Phase? Power response? IDK these are just terms that I dont know much about but every speaker set that I have had lately was missing something.

I was going to buy the 5 series but the center wasn't available at the time and I admit being put off by how tiny it is. How in the world is this supposed to work with with these massive towers?

Anyway, I did a search on Amazon and saw the LS series earlier this week. Bought a set of LS80 towers and the Center in mahogany and they arrived today. I had no really no idea about these speakers but searches told me the price was drastically reduced. Despite buying the KEF's a month ago and risking WAF fury I figured it was better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

Well UPS delivers these today with 2 employees lugging massive boxes up to my porch. I had a general idea of their size but didnt figure in the depth. The LS80 are enormous and very heavy.

Unboxing the LS towers and center I was simply awestuck at the beauty of the cabinets. These are gorgeous. JBL's marketing pictures are horrible in conveying what these speakers look like in person!

Playing some tunes at low volume today to break them in a little bit and I am going to let it rip this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1ea8-clvAh2MZNW96l7TBq2KU9hDvcSnkO1n202-iHYpX92IB.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1820313   Click image for larger version

Name:	8SANYUcFyTSI2BzXGX3GCsAUhn0BDSdGKw0fZ7W38FQpX92IB.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1820321   Click image for larger version

Name:	T2WEvyrQekglq56Rd_d2ToVBOdJy5SyEoPcSsufK9Q4pX92IB.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1820329   Click image for larger version

Name:	qUnFEcx8PLjzBLD_MwAcul9gCbBkCTnKqXcMa754LZ0pX92IB.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1820337   Click image for larger version

Name:	s7IfrVUEfFBrfXJaZVXTbQMKz9skfMSn8udrVnvWoJYpX92IB.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1820345  

skypop and bluestang like this.
post #17023 of 17029 Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad335 View Post
I have been intrigued by JBL since I bought a pair of LSR305 for my computer set up. Coupled with an Asus soundcard and cheap Dayton sub, the sound is sublime.

I bought a pair of used 8330A for my side surrounds to go with my KEF Q900 and 600C and was again impressed. Cant put into words but there is a cohesiveness to the sound that I havent heard since my Brothers audiophile systems. I don't know what IT is but these JBL's have IT. Directivity? Phase? Power response? IDK these are just terms that I dont know much about but every speaker set that I have had lately was missing something.

I was going to buy the 5 series but the center wasn't available at the time and I admit being put off by how tiny it is. How in the world is this supposed to work with with these massive towers?

Anyway, I did a search on Amazon and saw the LS series earlier this week. Bought a set of LS80 towers and the Center in mahogany and they arrived today. I had no really no idea about these speakers but searches told me the price was drastically reduced. Despite buying the KEF's a month ago and risking WAF fury I figured it was better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

Well UPS delivers these today with 2 employees lugging massive boxes up to my porch. I had a general idea of their size but didnt figure in the depth. The LS80 are enormous and very heavy.

Unboxing the LS towers and center I was simply awestuck at the beauty of the cabinets. These are gorgeous. JBL's marketing pictures are horrible in conveying what these speakers look like in person!

Playing some tunes at low volume today to break them in a little bit and I am going to let it rip this weekend.
They are good looking speakers. I am surprised more people haven't jumped on these.
post #17024 of 17029 Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM

For those with the LS40's, is there any mounting areas on the back or bottom? Somewhere to make these wall mountable? I have the resources at work to fab up anything, was just wondering if there is any threaded holes anywhere. I sure wouldn't want to mess with the beautiful finish on those babies.
post #17025 of 17029 Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM

Quote:
For those with the LS40's, is there any mounting areas on the back or bottom? Somewhere to make these wall mountable? I have the resources at work to fab up anything, was just wondering if there is any threaded holes anywhere. I sure wouldn't want to mess with the beautiful finish on those babies.
With this link it doesnt appear there are any mounting points on the rear.

http://www.bbcdq.cn/shop/Pro548.html
post #17026 of 17029 Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM

Quote:
They are good looking speakers. I am surprised more people haven't jumped on these.
The mahogany centers are gone from Amazon.
post #17027 of 17029 Old Today, 09:12 AM

Quote:
The mahogany centers are gone from Amazon.
Yeah, I wouldn't expect they are going to be available much longer.
post #17028 of 17029 Old Today, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I wouldn't expect they are going to be available much longer.
Actually the towers are gone now too. At least in Mahogany... I contacted the Seller about some damage to the rear top corner and he said he couldn't swap it out because they are gone but he made things right. Awesome seller Sound Distributors is!

Actually kinda relieved I didnt have to box it up and ship it back. Boxes are big and very heavy. How they escaped with one small corner damage on one speaker is a miracle. (I used to work for UPS)
post #17029 of 17029 Old Today, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Actually the towers are gone now too. At least in Mahogany... I contacted the Seller about some damage to the rear top corner and he said he couldn't swap it out because they are gone but he made things right. Awesome seller Sound Distributors is!

Actually kinda relieved I didnt have to box it up and ship it back. Boxes are big and very heavy. How they escaped with one small corner damage on one speaker is a miracle. (I used to work for UPS)
Glad I got mine when I did then. With the lack of reviews on these I wasn't sure. For what I paid it was either going to be a great deal or a $1500 mistake. I feel like didn't just a great deal, but an awesome deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
520c , Athena , Center Channel Speaker Sku Pas749099 , Center Channel Speakers , Jbl , Jbl Balboa Sub 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Jbl G200 Bookshelf Speakers , Jbl Harman Kardon , Jbl Lc1 3 Way High Performance Dual 5 1 4 Inch Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Lc2 4 Way High Performance 6 Inch Dual Wall Mountable Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Northridge E30 2 Way 6 Inch Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black Ash , Jbl Professional , Jbl S Center Center Channel Speaker , jbl studio 5 series
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page