The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread - Page 571 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 366Likes

Old 01-19-2017, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
^ When I was looking trying to find some L820s, I thought I saw some L228C on the Harmon Outlet site???

TV: Panny 42" Plasma | Sources: nVidia Shield TV (2017); WDTV Live SMP; HDTV cable; SqeezeBox Touch | Receiver: Kenwood Sovereign 4090 | Fronts: JBL Studio S312 | Center: JBL LS Center | Surrounds: JBL N24II | Sub: None (saving for SVS PC-2000)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2017, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently built a new house. I have a set of L820s, 4 - L810s and an LC2 from my theater setup in the old house that I have held on to. I was thinking I would use them for a 5.1 setup in my office once I get it built. Would the L series work OK being positioned fairly close to the listener or should I look for something else? The office will be about 11 X 14.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellerbrewing View Post
I recently built a new house. I have a set of L820s, 4 - L810s and an LC2 from my theater setup in the old house that I have held on to. I was thinking I would use them for a 5.1 setup in my office once I get it built. Would the L series work OK being positioned fairly close to the listener or should I look for something else? The office will be about 11 X 14.
That's kind of overkill for a space like that, but it would work for surround sound just fine.
For something like an office, most people go with high quality active monitors for great stereo sound,
or even just use headphones, but it just depends on what you want it for.
If you actually want surround sound in there, then again those speakers will work.

For me personally I think they would be too overwhelming in that small of a space,
BUT... at the same time, you already have the speakers so it costs you nothing to try them and see how you like it.
If you find them to be too much for the space, you can always just replace them with different speakers,
and your wiring and other audio equipment will already be in place, so it might be an easy swap-out.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestang View Post
^ When I was looking trying to find some L820s, I thought I saw some L228C on the Harmon Outlet site???
Funny I actually did just find those after my last comment, then came here and saw you posted a link to them too.
Too bad they only have 2 of them when I need 4.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Any help and/or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Those L226\L228 speakers are going to be hard to find, although I have seen them on eBay and the Harman refurbished store in past few weeks\months. I'd think the Studio 2 ceiling speakers would be a terrific choice. I've heard the Studio 230\235C, and there are positive opinions out there about the waveguides the series use, which I always took as a plus in the sense of using them as overheads or heights. Someone else in this forum uses Studio 2 speakers in a height configuration and is pleased at the results.

TV: Samsung 55" 3D LED | Sources: PS4; Panasonic DMP-BT460; HDTV cable; Dell 7010 SFF | AVP: Marantz AV8802A | Amps: Emotiva XPA-1L\100 (LR\C); UPA-5 | Fronts: JBL Studio 590 | Center: JBL Studio 520C| Surrounds: JBL P520WS | Subs: PSA S1500 (2) | Heights: SVS Prime Elevations
Old 01-19-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephTonyStark View Post
Those L226\L228 speakers are going to be hard to find, although I have seen them on eBay and the Harman refurbished store in past few weeks\months. I'd think the Studio 2 ceiling speakers would be a terrific choice. I've heard the Studio 230\235C, and there are positive opinions out there about the waveguides the series use, which I always took as a plus in the sense of using them as overheads or heights. Someone else in this forum uses Studio 2 speakers in a height configuration and is pleased at the results.
Thanks for the input.
I think I remember seeing the Studio-2 speakers when looking at speakers and they were kind of expensive.
While I don't mind paying for quality within my budget, I just don't see the ceiling speakers as needing to be
a large investment and I'm hoping that I can get decent sound quality without spending too much.
Plus if I feel the need later I can always upgrade to better speakers when I have more money to burn.

I was even considering something like the SP6CSII which is one speaker (wired for stereo sound), and has dual tweeters.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Would the L810 make a decent atmos speaker if mounted in the ceiling?
Old 01-20-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellerbrewing View Post
Would the L810 make a decent atmos speaker if mounted in the ceiling?
I've seen that done with smaller speakers, but I would worry about the dispersion having a typical loudspeaker mounted in that orientation.

TV: Samsung 55" 3D LED | Sources: PS4; Panasonic DMP-BT460; HDTV cable; Dell 7010 SFF | AVP: Marantz AV8802A | Amps: Emotiva XPA-1L\100 (LR\C); UPA-5 | Fronts: JBL Studio 590 | Center: JBL Studio 520C| Surrounds: JBL P520WS | Subs: PSA S1500 (2) | Heights: SVS Prime Elevations
Old 01-20-2017, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Fun timing on this conversation . . . I was literally just nosing here to see if I could find thoughts on heights that would pair with the L-series. I've got a 5.1 setup now, L890s and an LC2 up front, and L820s for rears, SVS SB13-Ultra for sub. Was thinking going 7.1, but likely not ceiling or true Atmos . . . just some plain front heights for some DTS:X or something like that, mostly for kicks. I can just put some L810s on shelves above my mains for plain heights, which is what I was leaning toward. Seeing thoughts on the L226c/228c is interesting, though I just don't know that I'd be likely to carve up the ceiling. And it seems like the L810s are a little big for just standard height speakers . . . but I was at a loss for what else would pair OK with the rest, and I know I can get those. The L226c/228c would pair OK with the rest if I got ceiling happy? Any other ones that might pair OK in a smaller height, non-ceiling application . . . or just roll with L810s for that purpose?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:24 PM

@piketech Just depends. The past several posts are mixed with opinions on how closely these different speaker roles need to be matched. All up to your preferences.

The L226c\L228c are the best match for your setup in the realm of ceiling speakers. Just like if you do go 7.1, L810s would be perfect as rears. Had a (now abandoned) plan to do the very same surround stage. You'd be keeping everything in the family. L810s as heights would be great too. I personally wanted something I could angle to have a more phronounced effect, but there are those who have them firing from flat positions to get that height presence.

But if you decide to move a little outside the Studio L line, I would say you'd be OK with the help of auto room EQ.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
@piketech Just depends. The past several posts are mixed with opinions on how closely these different speaker roles need to be matched. All up to your preferences.

The L226c\L228c are the best match for your setup in the realm of ceiling speakers. Just like if you do go 7.1, L810s would be perfect as rears. Had a (now abandoned) plan to do the very same surround stage. You'd be keeping everything in the family. L810s as heights would be great too. I personally wanted something I could angle to have a more phronounced effect, but there are those who have them firing from flat positions to get that height presence.

But if you decide to move a little outside the Studio L line, I would say you'd be OK with the help of auto room EQ.
Good to know . . . thanks for the input!

I've always been slightly paranoid that one day I'd finally decide to expand from 5.1, and I'd have no luck in finding any L-series anymore . . . so I've been leaning toward getting the L810s anyway, use them for heights if nothing else . . . and who knows, maybe fiddle with other configurations, too.

Ceiling speakers are tempting . . . but the room is old plaster, and anything that involves cutting into, or cutting out, just ends up being a mess and a nightmare for getting things lined up and fitting right. But it would be fun outside of all of that.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anyone ever seen someone build a cabinet for the SP6II ? They are so cheap right now. Curious as to what the recommended volume would be. Can't find a spec anywhere that shows anything that hints towards it. Only thing I can think of is going by volume a typical wall cavity would have for 8' H so 16"W x 3.5" D and then figure out how insulation affects it???

TV: Panny 42" Plasma | Sources: nVidia Shield TV (2017); WDTV Live SMP; HDTV cable; SqeezeBox Touch | Receiver: Kenwood Sovereign 4090 | Fronts: JBL Studio S312 | Center: JBL LS Center | Surrounds: JBL N24II | Sub: None (saving for SVS PC-2000)
Old 01-22-2017, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 2017 Post(s)
Liked: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestang View Post
Anyone ever seen someone build a cabinet for the SP6II ? They are so cheap right now. Curious as to what the recommended volume would be. Can't find a spec anywhere that shows anything that hints towards it. Only thing I can think of is going by volume a typical wall cavity would have for 8' H so 16"W x 3.5" D and then figure out how insulation affects it???
Don't they sell "rough-in" boxes for those? The sort of thing you'd install before finishing a wall. Anyway, if so what are their size?
Old 01-27-2017, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello - I'm a new (but old) guy to the forum, although I have scanned the last 8-9 months of postings on this thread. In brief I am looking at upgrading my rather modest home theater, but being somewhat budget limited, I can't compete with all of the high end JBL audio equipment that generally occupies most of this discussion. Although I think I might like the 590's, they are all gone at sale prices and even the ones being resold on EBay are beyond my budget.

I have a rectangular 20x17' room with the tv - a new Sony XBR75X940D - centered on one side of the long wall. I sit about 10' from the tv. Currently I have an older Yamaha RX-1010 amp powering two 28 y/o JBL L100S floor speakers (w/ re-foamed woofers), a JBL Studio center amp, Infinity 12" sub and 2 Cambridge Soundworks rear/surrounds against the back windowed wall. I have been considering the Klipsch RP-280s to replace the L100S's, but am ultimately considering upgrading the whole works and going to a 5.1.4 Atmos system with ceiling speakers. To that end, I would be looking at either the Yamaha RX-A2060BL or possibly the Denon AVRX4300H for an AVR. Based on some comments that I've read, I'm not sure about upgrading the entire speaker system to Klipsch so have been looking for alternatives.

Instead of going the Klipsch route, I have been considering the JBL 290's for mains with the 235C as center and the 230's for the rear/surrounds then looking to add 4 ceiling speakers: perhaps the Studio 2 6IC or the Studio 2 6ICDT. All of these are currently on sale at the JBL site as well as Amazon so this would be timely even though more initially than I wanted to undertake. There really hasn't been much discussion on the Studio series in this thread, so although I have long loved my L100S's, I am unsure about which path to take and whether the JBL Studio speakers are worth my funds and effort. I would greatly appreciate any comments and suggestions from this very knowledgeable group.

Last edited by PhantomDriver; 01-29-2017 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Misstated Model Number
Old 01-30-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomDriver View Post
I have been considering the JBL 290's for mains with the 235C as center and the 230's for the rear/surrounds then looking to add 4 ceiling speakers: perhaps the Studio 2 6IC or the Studio 2 6ICDT. All of these are currently on sale at the JBL site as well as Amazon so this would be timely even though more initially than I wanted to undertake. There really hasn't been much discussion on the Studio series in this thread, so although I have long loved my L100S's, I am unsure about which path to take and whether the JBL Studio speakers are worth my funds and effort. I would greatly appreciate any comments and suggestions from this very knowledgeable group.
I took some time in not replying so some Studio 2 owners could chime in, but since that hasn't happened yet and I'm bored at work, might as well....

So, I can't say yea\nay toward the Klipsch because the handful I've heard, I don't know the specifics about and wasn't wowed in a good way about them, but obviously they get a great deal of positive remarks, so they must be doing something right for those people. That said, I am biased towards JBL because it's always good to hear positive consensus towards products you think are good and throughout all my upgraditis, I've stuck with just getting better JBL products.

I don't think the Studio 290\235C combo would let you down. There's a user in this thread who runs a 235C and 230s as front heights and enjoys them a lot. I personally owned the 230s for a short while as PC speakers and they sounded good to me. There's also a local store I visited a couple of times that has the Studio 2 towers and they captured my attention quite well with the demo movie loop they were using for them. Detailed, dynamic, and pulled me into the material very quickly, so they get the job done as a good JBL will.

I can't vouch directly for the Studio 2 in-ceilings, but they do share the core components with the rest of the line. Only reason I have pause for them is because I've read that non-coaxial speakers may not have the desired level of dispersion that makes a superior overhead. Haven't bothered to fully consider the technical aspects of that argument, since I can't run overheads right now and only have top middle heights, so not sure how much of an issue that even is because I like what I'm hearing at my place a lot.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:51 PM

Thanks JTS - I appreciate your taking the time to respond. I went on and bought the 235C and the pair of 230's this weekend when I hadn't heard from anyone since these speakers were on sale, and I figured I could swing that and consider what mains to do later. As it turned out unbeknownst to me, the sale ended Sunday so it was good that I went on and made this purchase, but it also means that any urgency on the 290's or other can wait for a while. I like the JBL sound so will probably go either the 290 or even the 280 route sometime in the future.
I saw you have the 590's - lucky you as I've heard those are really good, but they seem to have disappeared. In fact I have been somewhat dismayed that a lot of JBL speakers seem to be disappearing - are they shutting down production? I heard that they essentially went out of business, at least as an independent company. If so, I guess I had better make up my mind and purchase the mains to replace my L100S's soon if I want to stick with all JBL. I'm thinking that since the 230's and the 235 have 6 1/2" speakers that maybe the 280's would be a good match for my room since it is not really that big - 20-18'. Hopefully any closeout sale will offer good pricing albeit apparently decreasing options for selection.
Your observation on the overheads was new information to me as I had not heard or considered dispersion and coaxial aspects - I was merely considering similar speakers hoping to get similar timbre. Obviously I need to learn some more here. But again these are no longer on sale so any urgency on picking up on these for Atmos configuration has died...a welcomed delay that also saves me the near term purchase of a new AVR and the effort to install all of this. Unless of course I find that in fact JBL is no longer going to produce/support the Studio 2 lines. Decisions, decisions....
Thanks again for your insight.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:45 AM

@PhantomDriver

Good deal on the 230\235C. Where are you going to put the 230s?? Let us know if you like the sound of the new speakers.

About that overhead\dispersion thing, I'm merely regurgitating things that I've been reading on other threads; I haven't even made myself learn how to read those weird dispersion graphs. So definitely do your research there.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:41 PM

I plan on putting the 230's behind and spread out a bit further than the mains as surrounds - about 1' from the rear wall. Then will adjust based on how it sounds when I upgrade the mains eventually. I'll definitely have to do a bit more research on Atmos setup - saw that AVS has a forum with dedicated thread on that subject so will do some reading there, but I'll have time as I want to first get the mains when they go back on sale and see how it's all sounding in 5.1 first. Then a new Atmos enabled 9 channel AVR, and on and on. I guess once you get the upgrade bug it never ends.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:04 PM

So just closing the loop on my posts from before for lurkers or future questions . . . I did grab some L810s and put them in as height speakers. Not 100% ideal placement . . . my center and the heights are wall mounted, and my towers are out a bit further from the wall. But full trust in Audyssey to make it all work . . . we work with the space we have, and hope the JBLs make up the difference . . .

Actual Dolby Atmos movies sound fantastic . . . and up-mixed Blu-ray sounds great as well. While maybe not the pure ideal direct DSD mode, SA-CDs expanded to heights sound really nice. Regular TV is a little hit and miss with Dolby Surround or DTS Neo:X, seems like some center channel gets up in the heights for dialogue . . . makes it louder, but not quite as natural. But all in all, just a really full sound stage up front . . . no regrets in doing it, gonna have fun trying more stuff out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3013.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	1938017  
Old 02-02-2017, 10:16 AM

@piketech

Visual aids are like gold here, thanks for including that shot. Love seeing all those JBLs and I'm glad you have a high opinion of your sound. I agree with you on the DTS:X upmixing. I like what Dolby Surround does in my space with stereo\5.1, but there's something too "virtual" about the Neural X upmixer.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For those that have been looking for them, I see today that Amazon has some Studio 230 and 235C, and probably others available at sale prices.

Tom

Samsung UN55HU8550/SEK-3500U 4K TV, and UBD-K8500 BR Player. Receiver: Denon AVR-X2200W configured 5.1.2.
JBL Spearkers: Center Studio 235C, 2ea- Studio 590 for L&R, ES250PBK Sub,
2ea - ES90 Towers for L&R surround, 2ea - Studio 230 for front height (Atmos).
Old 02-08-2017, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello everyone.

Just a brief update on my L820 vs L880 conundrum from a couple of months ago.

After much testing (I even got a speaker selector to be able to switch from one pair to the other one on the fly) I finally decided for the L880.

It would seem they needed some break in, because now they sound much better to my ears. I also fine-tuned the equalization and the speaker level set-up on my Yamaha receiver (RX-V1065) and that helped too.

Anyway, the only thing that I still miss from the L820 is their ability for locating sound with pinpoint accuracy, both in stereo and multichannel, but the L880 is the winner overall.

However, I still like the L820 so much that I find it hard to part with them, so I'm keeping them for the moment.

My main gripe now is that while I love the spatiality provided by the L810 as rears they are not quite timbre-matched with the L880 fronts (the L820 were better in that regard, too) and that makes transition back and forth not as smooth as I would like.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post
My main gripe now is that while I love the spatiality provided by the L810 as rears they are not quite timbre-matched with the L880 fronts (the L820 were better in that regard, too) and that makes transition back and forth not as smooth as I would like.
Really...that's proof that everyone's ears are different. I haven't had a matching set of surrounds for a couple of years and haven't noticed a troublesome timbre change. Interesting gripe since these are from the same product line. I almost wonder if it's better with the L820s because of having more drivers that match the driver layout on the L880s.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Really...that's proof that everyone's ears are different. I haven't had a matching set of surrounds for a couple of years and haven't noticed a troublesome timbre change. Interesting gripe since these are from the same product line. I almost wonder if it's better with the L820s because of having more drivers that match the driver layout on the L880s.
Well, you are right in that I should have said "they are not quite timbre-matched to my ears", because it sounds that way to me, transitions sound smoother between the L820 as fronts and the L810 as rears, but maybe a real physics test would tell us otherwise.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
PhantomDriver
You may find some of the JBL speakers you are looking for by checking out the "JBL Synthesis" web site.
I know the 590s are available there in black or wood veneer.
skypop and PhantomDriver like this.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL RABIDX View Post
PhantomDriver
You may find some of the JBL speakers you are looking for by checking out the "JBL Synthesis" web site.
I know the 590s are available there in black or wood veneer.
Thanks Paul - I was able to grab the Studio 290 mains on sale from Harman last week. Also picked up 4 Studio 2 6IC ceiling speakers for ATMOS. This way I can keep all of the speakers in my HT as Studio 2 and hopefully the timbres will all match closely, though at my advancing age and having had a career around fighter jets on the flightline, I'm not sure I would notice the difference. Now the fun begins - putting holes in the ceiling and hoping wife doesn't notice.
Appreciate the notice though.
JosephTonyStark likes this.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:03 PM

@PhantomDriver

You got to let us know how those Studio 2s work out for you. Especially the ceiling units, I have yet to hear a peep about them. The 290s should be great for you.

Old Today, 09:40 PM

Liked: 20
Hey guys. I need some JBL expert opinion. Preferably someone who had gone through several JBL series over the years.

I am in the process of receiving two brand new factory refurbished L890s to upgrade my front mains from JBL Venue Stadium to L890s. I currently already have L820 for side surrounds and rear surrounds along with a EC35 for a full 7.1 setup. I know that the Venue Stadium is supposed to be considered entry level speakers. But they're my first JBLs and frankly they're what got me introduced to the JBL world. I liked them so much over the years that I never felt necessary to upgrade them. And it's been 10 years since I got them.

I really like the L820's I got and been using them over the past 4 or so years. They have a really broad sound for surrounds, which is why I wanted to complete the set by upgrading the Venue Stadium to L890's. I m hoping that the new L890 will bring a even larger sound stage to my current setup.

Now the problem: the LC2 is one of the hardest to find center speakers and not to mention price guaged in the used market. Based on my readings and research comparing the EC35 to LC2, I believe there's is only a very little performance difference between the two. Based on the lack of availability of the LC2, I am almost inclined to get the Studios 520 horn loaded center to complete the upgrade. But everywhere I looked and researched, couldn't find any comparison between the LC2 and the Studios 520. Or even the 520 vs the EC35. What are everyone's thoughts on having the 520 as center with the rest of the speaker's being the Studios L line (L890's, L820's)

Last edited by howzz1854; Today at 09:49 PM.
Old Today, 09:51 PM

Liked: 20
btw, here is my full setup. not sure why signature isn't showing.

TV: Samsung 60inch 60ES8000 LED TV,
Sound System: Pioneer VSX 1120-K, 2x JBL Stadium fronts, 1x JBL EC35 center, 4x JBL L820 surrounds, 1x SVS PB12 NSD for a complete 7.1
Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD700, AD900X, Sennheiser HD598, HD650, HD800S
Headphone DAC/AMP: Schiit Bifrost / Bottlehead Crack Tube Amp

TV: Samsung 60inch 60ES8000 LED TV,
Sound System: Pioneer VSX 1120-K, 2x JBL Stadium fronts, 1x JBL EC35 center, 4x JBL L820 surrounds, 1x SVS PB12 NSD for a complete 7.1
Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD700, AD900X, Sennheiser HD598, HD650, HD800S
Headphone DAC/AMP: Schiit Bifrost / Bottlehead Crack Tube Amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
520c , Athena , Center Channel Speaker Sku Pas749099 , Center Channel Speakers , Jbl , Jbl Balboa Sub 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Jbl G200 Bookshelf Speakers , Jbl Harman Kardon , Jbl Lc1 3 Way High Performance Dual 5 1 4 Inch Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Lc2 4 Way High Performance 6 Inch Dual Wall Mountable Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Northridge E30 2 Way 6 Inch Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black Ash , Jbl Professional , Jbl S Center Center Channel Speaker , jbl studio 5 series