The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread - Page 574 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 384Likes

post #17191 of 17214 Old 03-09-2017, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Spreading the word; an interview with Greg Timbers, and even photos of his stereo system.

http://positive-feedback.com/intervi...g-timbers-jbl/
Thanks for the link. I was very surprised when Harman let him go. He is responsible for some of my favorite speakers of all time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17192 of 17214 Old 03-09-2017, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2091 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypop View Post
I heard a pair of 1400 Array's and they sound Great,is there any other JBL that sounds close to them? For a little less money? I have the room for them,any suggestions is appreciated.
I forgot to mention that the SAM1HF is another approach to this. You just add your own LF box.
skypop likes this.
post #17193 of 17214 Old 03-10-2017, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Could anyone who has heard both the Array 1400 and the 5 series (preferably the 580 or 530) comment on how much an upgrade the Arrays would be?

That A*gon listing has me tempted...

post #17194 of 17214 Old 03-10-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokbyter View Post
Could anyone who has heard both the Array 1400 and the 5 series (preferably the 580 or 530) comment on how much an upgrade the Arrays would be?

That A*gon listing has me tempted...
Are you asking if they are worth 5x the price? As with all things audio, each percentage point in the last 20% of the performance curve costs exponentially more than the last. Neither of those 2 models will hold a candle to the Array 1400. Even the Studio 590 will be a poor substitute, but it may still be adequate for many folks. Its really up to you. I still have a Performance Series setup with PT800/PS1400 stacks, but I listen to the Arrays
rokbyter likes this.
post #17195 of 17214 Old 03-10-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Are you asking if they are worth 5x the price? As with all things audio, each percentage point in the last 20% of the performance curve costs exponentially more than the last. Neither of those 2 models will hold a candle to the Array 1400. Even the Studio 590 will be a poor substitute, but it may still be adequate for many folks. Its really up to you. I still have a Performance Series setup with PT800/PS1400 stacks, but I listen to the Arrays
That's what I was asking, as the value is completely subjective. Having not heard the arrays, but having wanted them since I learned of them and now having the means to acquire them, I suppose the question is how much better they are. Are the 5 series 80% of the performance? 90%? Because as you said, each percentage point costs exponentially more. I'll take "neither... will hold a candle" as an endorsement that they are a worthwhile upgrade. The 5 series being my first experience with compression drivers in my setup and being more pleased with them than any speakers I've owned or heard before makes the arrays seem a sure bet. That you listen to the arrays over your Performance series stacks says volumes as well, knowing how fond you are of that series. Thanks for your input!
post #17196 of 17214 Old 03-10-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
That's what I was asking, as the value is completely subjective. Having not heard the arrays, but having wanted them since I learned of them and now having the means to acquire them, I suppose the question is how much better they are. Are the 5 series 80% of the performance? 90%? Because as you said, each percentage point costs exponentially more. I'll take "neither... will hold a candle" as an endorsement that they are a worthwhile upgrade. The 5 series being my first experience with compression drivers in my setup and being more pleased with them than any speakers I've owned or heard before makes the arrays seem a sure bet. That you listen to the arrays over your Performance series stacks says volumes as well, knowing how fond you are of that series. Thanks for your input!
Too many variables to give any one absolute answer. Given a high quality audio source the Array is amazing, but its also forgiving of lesser quality stuff too. Their one drawback is a bit of compression at ear splitting levels, which almost never comes into play. I can only tell you that the first time I hooked them up (with absolutely no setup or EQ), they spun my head around and I uttered "Oh Sh*t". They still get that reaction from me regularly.
I think the price on that 1400 pair is right at the top end of average, if they come in factory packing. The factory "triple-box" packing is needed. They also should be strapped to a pallet and freight shipped.
rokbyter likes this.
post #17197 of 17214 Old 03-10-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Too many variables to give any one absolute answer.
Of course.

Quote:
Given a high quality audio source the Array is amazing, but its also forgiving of lesser quality stuff too.
I would be driving them with a Parasound Halo Integrated.

Quote:
Their one drawback is a bit of compression at ear splitting levels, which almost never comes into play.
No, I don't imagine it will.

Quote:
I can only tell you that the first time I hooked them up (with absolutely no setup or EQ), they spun my head around and I uttered "Oh Sh*t". They still get that reaction from me regularly.
The 5 series did, and do, do that for me. The realism is sometimes startling - as in, waking me up from a lazy afternoon nap startling.

Quote:
I think the price on that 1400 pair is right at the top end of average, if they come in factory packing. The factory "triple-box" packing is needed. They also should be strapped to a pallet and freight shipped.
Excellent information. I will contact the seller about those concerns.

Thanks again!
post #17198 of 17214 Old 03-10-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I would be driving them with a Parasound Halo Integrated.
I was referring to the quality of the audio source listened to, not the hardware. But since you mention it, that should be a decent match. I use 200W monoblocks that can easily drive them into that compression zone I referred to. But they never sound bad.
post #17199 of 17214 Old 03-12-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I was referring to the quality of the audio source listened to, not the hardware. But since you mention it, that should be a decent match. I use 200W monoblocks that can easily drive them into that compression zone I referred to. But they never sound bad.
My sources need an upgrade as well. I'm waiting for the Oppo 205 release before making a decision.
post #17200 of 17214 Old 03-12-2017, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread

Quote:
My sources need an upgrade as well. I'm waiting for the Oppo 205 release before making a decision.

I have the 590's and 580's,and I've heard the 1400's,definitely a step up in sound from the Studio series,but I think if you can't spring for the 1400's than the 590's will keep you happy. Especially since there are not alot of the 1400's around you probably won't hear them to much to remind you that you have the 590's. I'm thinking about picking up another pair of 590's for my 2 Channel setup since it's hard to find the Array1400 used much at all and I definitely don't have the money to buy them new. Besides when these are finally unavailable *590's* I'll feel better about having bought the pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 Channel: Fi 2A3 mono's,Hovland HP100 W/MM Phono Stage,Technics SP10MK2/SME/Benz,Medallion Cabinets With Fostex 206EN Drivers,Peerless Subs....HT:126" Seymour AT Screen,JBL Studio 590's LCR,JBL 8340a Surrounds,JBL HT5 Fr Heights, and JBL SCS8 Rear Heights,JBL Studio 580's Back Surrounds,2 Epik Empire Subs,HSU Midbass Sub,Marantz 7702MK2,Outlaw 7125,Marantz Ma500's,Panasonic UB900,Toshiba HD35,JVC RS400. Black Velvet.
post #17201 of 17214 Old 03-13-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypop View Post
I have the 590's and 580's,and I've heard the 1400's,definitely a step up in sound from the Studio series,but I think if you can't spring for the 1400's than the 590's will keep you happy. Especially since there are not alot of the 1400's around you probably won't hear them to much to remind you that you have the 590's. I'm thinking about picking up another pair of 590's for my 2 Channel setup since it's hard to find the Array1400 used much at all and I definitely don't have the money to buy them new. Besides when these are finally unavailable *590's* I'll feel better about having bought the pair.

I have the 580s and could definitely be happy with them if that was all my budget allowed. What I couldn't be happy with is knowing that I could have picked up the Arrays (that I've had my eye on since they came out) and not done it. So I pulled the trigger this morning and they should be on the way to me by the end of the week!
skypop likes this.
post #17202 of 17214 Old 03-13-2017, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
I have the 580s and could definitely be happy with them if that was all my budget allowed. What I couldn't be happy with is knowing that I could have picked up the Arrays (that I've had my eye on since they came out) and not done it. So I pulled the trigger this morning and they should be on the way to me by the end of the week!

Sounds good!

2 Channel: Fi 2A3 mono's,Hovland HP100 W/MM Phono Stage,Technics SP10MK2/SME/Benz,Medallion Cabinets With Fostex 206EN Drivers,Peerless Subs....HT:126" Seymour AT Screen,JBL Studio 590's LCR,JBL 8340a Surrounds,JBL HT5 Fr Heights, and JBL SCS8 Rear Heights,JBL Studio 580's Back Surrounds,2 Epik Empire Subs,HSU Midbass Sub,Marantz 7702MK2,Outlaw 7125,Marantz Ma500's,Panasonic UB900,Toshiba HD35,JVC RS400. Black Velvet.
post #17203 of 17214 Old 03-13-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Fingers crossed for a pleasant buying experience. This might be a good time for a small animal sacrifice to the gods of shipping. If you're using freight shipping, prepare to have your patience tested. I find that scotch improves the entire experience.
skypop and rokbyter like this.
post #17204 of 17214 Old 03-13-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Fingers crossed for a pleasant buying experience. This might be a good time for a small animal sacrifice to the gods of shipping. If you're using freight shipping, prepare to have your patience tested. I find that scotch improves the entire experience.
The gentleman I spoke with seemed not only experienced with shipping such things, but determined to use whatever means necessary to pack them for safe arrival. He even spoke of crating each piece if the factory packaging he has is not sufficient.

I may need to open a bottle of whisky before this is done, but I know for certain I'll be opening one once I get to sit down and enjoy them.
skypop likes this.
post #17205 of 17214 Old 03-13-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
The gentleman I spoke with seemed not only experienced with shipping such things, but determined to use whatever means necessary to pack them for safe arrival. He even spoke of crating each piece if the factory packaging he has is not sufficient.

I may need to open a bottle of whisky before this is done, but I know for certain I'll be opening one once I get to sit down and enjoy them.
The factory packing is pretty impressive. 2 heavy cartons inside one large heavy carton. But they are heavy enough that they really need a pallet for fork truck loading/unloading, and so Gorilla Driver doesn't try to chuck them off the tailgate. About 125# packed each. Which brings up another point: if you don't own a furniture dolly, go buy one.
I envy you this experience, it brings back fond memories of this:

skypop likes this.
post #17206 of 17214 Old 03-13-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
The factory packing is pretty impressive. 2 heavy cartons inside one large heavy carton. But they are heavy enough that they really need a pallet for fork truck loading/unloading, and so Gorilla Driver doesn't try to chuck them off the tailgate. About 125# packed each. Which brings up another point: if you don't own a furniture dolly, go buy one.
I envy you this experience, it brings back fond memories of this:

And now I'm drooling...

Out of curiosity - how do the 1500s compare to the HTPS-400? That ebay repair service still hasn't returned from vacation, so I'm still without mine. Honestly, I'm only missing it while watching movies. The 580s with the Parasound are doing an excellent job with music.
post #17207 of 17214 Old 03-13-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
And now I'm drooling...

Out of curiosity - how do the 1500s compare to the HTPS-400? That ebay repair service still hasn't returned from vacation, so I'm still without mine. Honestly, I'm only missing it while watching movies. The 580s with the Parasound are doing an excellent job with music.
The 1500 sounds like about 4 of the HTPS-400. IOW a similar musical and precise response, just many times more huevos.
post #17208 of 17214 Old 03-13-2017, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I find that scotch improves the entire experience.
No matter the experience in question it most definitely does.
post #17209 of 17214 Old 03-13-2017, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
Your welcome,

good luck hopefully you'll be able to order the new replacements soon and enjoy your JBL L series speaker system.

I think you are going to really enjoy what you hear. With each music, concerts and movies I enjoy. Each day I am impressed more and more with the end results.
thought i'd give everyone a quick update that the second set of L890 arrived today. one of the box came in good condition, while the other came all busted up and open on both ends. the tape on the second box was nearly all gone, and the box was barely holding together. when i saw the second box i nearly **** my pants. immediately i told the UPS guy that wasn't a good sign. he said he marked it in his delivery system pad as "opened", so in case if there's any issue and we need to call UPS, they wouldn't give us too much trouble. he said it looks to be from the rough handling during the shipping.

low and behold, i opened up both boxes, the one inside the good/intact box came out perfect. the other one inside the opened busted box only had a slightly busted foot on one of the four feet. consider the whole ordeal, i am willing to accept that. (i know it's sad that we have to lower the bar so low at this point, shopping for speakers just shouldn't be like this). i quickly inspected the drivers/woofers/tweeters. and there're no immediate signs of damage, push-in, or dents. i gently tapped on the low/mid range woofers, and they all seem to bounce as they should. inspected all the driver seams, where they meet the wood cabinet to make sure the drivers are not sitting loose. hooked up to the system and did a room eq, so far seems like it's working. first thing i noticed was more subtle details especially in lower volumes. the problem with the old JBL Stadium was that you really have to blast that sucker to really milk anything good out of it. but with the L890, it just seems effortless, and even broader.

i'll be testing out more movies in the coming days. but thought i'd update everyone.

will be looking for a LC2 next.
JosephTonyStark likes this.

TV: Samsung 60inch 60ES8000 LED TV,
Sound System: Pioneer VSX 1120-K, 2x JBL L890 fronts, 1x JBL EC35 center, 4x JBL L820 surrounds, 1x SVS PB12 NSD for a complete 7.1
Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD700, AD900X, Sennheiser HD598, HD650, HD800S
Headphone DAC/AMP: Schiit Bifrost / Bottlehead Crack Tube Amp
post #17210 of 17214 Old 03-14-2017, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post
thought i'd give everyone a quick update that the second set of L890 arrived today. one of the box came in good condition, while the other came all busted up and open on both ends. the tape on the second box was nearly all gone, and the box was barely holding together. when i saw the second box i nearly **** my pants. immediately i told the UPS guy that wasn't a good sign. he said he marked it in his delivery system pad as "opened", so in case if there's any issue and we need to call UPS, they wouldn't give us too much trouble. he said it looks to be from the rough handling during the shipping.

low and behold, i opened up both boxes, the one inside the good/intact box came out perfect. the other one inside the opened busted box only had a slightly busted foot on one of the four feet. consider the whole ordeal, i am willing to accept that. (i know it's sad that we have to lower the bar so low at this point, shopping for speakers just shouldn't be like this). i quickly inspected the drivers/woofers/tweeters. and there're no immediate signs of damage, push-in, or dents. i gently tapped on the low/mid range woofers, and they all seem to bounce as they should. inspected all the driver seams, where they meet the wood cabinet to make sure the drivers are not sitting loose. hooked up to the system and did a room eq, so far seems like it's working. first thing i noticed was more subtle details especially in lower volumes. the problem with the old JBL Stadium was that you really have to blast that sucker to really milk anything good out of it. but with the L890, it just seems effortless, and even broader.

i'll be testing out more movies in the coming days. but thought i'd update everyone.

will be looking for a LC2 next.
Thank you for the update. Was wondering how it all turned out for you.

Can the damaged foot be removed and replaced. Seems that JBL would send you at minimum a replacement foot. If not maybe one can be ordered if parts are still available.

Once you get the LC2 you will have a complete studio L series speaker system. Even now with the addition of the twin L890z as you experience more music and movies. You'll be saying man that sounds good. Why didn't I do this sooner.

Enjoy your new speakers.
post #17211 of 17214 Old 03-14-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
Thank you for the update. Was wondering how it all turned out for you.

Can the damaged foot be removed and replaced. Seems that JBL would send you at minimum a replacement foot. If not maybe one can be ordered if parts are still available.
Those feet are screwed into the bottom of the cabinet with wood screws, easy to remove. The probability of getting parts from JBL is zero.
post #17212 of 17214 Old 03-19-2017, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
hey guys if u compare Jbl Studio 580 to Jbl Studio 290 which one better,?
post #17213 of 17214 Old Today, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
The seller is now supposed to return today, though they haven't yet, so we'll see. I also emailed Power Sound Audio to see if they'd suggest using any of their plate amps, to which they said I should get a direct replacement from the manufacturer, of course. If only that were possible. Let's say it doesn't pan out at all... What would either of you suggest as a replacement? Doesn't have to be 12" or even JBL *gasp*.
Any update on the amp? I have a JBL sub that needs to be repaired also.
post #17214 of 17214 Old Today, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raschneider View Post
Any update on the amp? I have a JBL sub that needs to be repaired also.
Unfortunately, no. The seller is still "on vacation and not taking orders at this time." Very frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
520c , Athena , Center Channel Speaker Sku Pas749099 , Center Channel Speakers , Jbl , Jbl Balboa Sub 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Jbl G200 Bookshelf Speakers , Jbl Harman Kardon , Jbl Lc1 3 Way High Performance Dual 5 1 4 Inch Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Lc2 4 Way High Performance 6 Inch Dual Wall Mountable Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Northridge E30 2 Way 6 Inch Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black Ash , Jbl Professional , Jbl S Center Center Channel Speaker , jbl studio 5 series
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page