The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread - Page 577 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 400Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #17281 of 17292 Old 06-18-2017, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
aydu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 3,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 121
JBL certainly doesn't package these for safe shipping. I have two 590s that I got from Amazon when they were running their big sale a year or so ago. They arrived with the boxes pretty tattered and one torn.

The delivery driver told me at the time of delivery that the box had been damaged in transit and that I could look at the speaker and reject the delivery if there was damage. We unpacked it and it was undamaged.

I never understood why JBL chose to ship the speakers with the feet attached. The combination of plastic feet and wood cabinet are just asking for damage by any pressure being applied when a box is tipped. Fortunately, I was one of the lucky ones with no cabinet or foot damage.

Here is hoping that JBL and the shipper don't start pointing fingers as to the damage. Who knows if it occurred at JBL or in transit.

I recently got a 520c when they went on sale from JBL. That speaker came well packaged and the box was spotless. Makes me wonder who is beating up these big boxes.

Hope the damage gets taken care of quickly. The 5 series speakers are gems.
aydu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17282 of 17292 Old 06-19-2017, 06:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I was lucky to receive my 590s delivered via freight. They arrived in perfect condition. With freight shipping, the padding was sufficient since it's handled way less.
Grizzog is offline  
post #17283 of 17292 Old 06-23-2017, 11:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I got my 580s second-hand a couple of months ago (bought in France) and the seller told me they arrived with small damages as well!

Anyways, I'm here because although I'm really happy with the speakers, I just don't know what amp to pick. At the moment they're running an a small Calss D amp that really doesn't sound amazing and I need advice.

I just pre-purchased an Onkyo TX-8270, but I didn't do much research on Onkyo prior to the order and I heard a few things here and there that weren't totally reassuring. So the shop offer to swap for a different amp as they don't have stock and don't know when they'll do.

The HDMI inputs and the amount of physical inputs while offering a good range of "connected" functions (DLNA, Airplay, etc...) is what I was looking for to simplify my setup. However, this might not be a an option anymore, but the shop offered to swap for something that has very similar feautre, but is a Class D amp as opposed to an A/B.

Is anybody running the 580s with a class D amp here? I was tempted to go towards A/B amps to make the speakers sounds warmer, am I a fool/noob/cretin to think this'll make a noteable difference?

Any input will help! Thanks guys, Greg.
Teddy Picker is offline  
 
post #17284 of 17292 Old 06-25-2017, 05:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Picker View Post
I got my 580s second-hand a couple of months ago (bought in France) and the seller told me they arrived with small damages as well!



Anyways, I'm here because although I'm really happy with the speakers, I just don't know what amp to pick. At the moment they're running an a small Calss D amp that really doesn't sound amazing and I need advice.



I just pre-purchased an Onkyo TX-8270, but I didn't do much research on Onkyo prior to the order and I heard a few things here and there that weren't totally reassuring. So the shop offer to swap for a different amp as they don't have stock and don't know when they'll do.



The HDMI inputs and the amount of physical inputs while offering a good range of "connected" functions (DLNA, Airplay, etc...) is what I was looking for to simplify my setup. However, this might not be a an option anymore, but the shop offered to swap for something that has very similar feautre, but is a Class D amp as opposed to an A/B.



Is anybody running the 580s with a class D amp here? I was tempted to go towards A/B amps to make the speakers sounds warmer, am I a fool/noob/cretin to think this'll make a noteable difference?



Any input will help! Thanks guys, Greg.


I tried my 590s with a small NAD D 3020 and they sounded great. Warmer than my Outlaw Audio 975/5000 combo.

Some speakers don't sound all that different on different amps but the JBLs definitely do.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Teddy Picker likes this.
Grizzog is offline  
post #17285 of 17292 Old 06-25-2017, 12:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
got a pair of 590s last year on amazon during the sale, arrived with damaged feet, emailed the seller and got refunded $220, $780 for the pair... not bad lol
mush03 is offline  
post #17286 of 17292 Old 06-25-2017, 02:07 PM
Member
 
tom703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Chiloquin, Oregon, USA
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I must have been lucky. I got a pair of 590s through Amazon Prime a year and a half ago, and they were double boxed with the inner box suspended in Styrofoam blocks. The outer boxes were a destroyed, but the inner box was untouched. The 590s were in perfect shape. The secret is proper packing. They know this! Why aren't they doing proper packing?

Tom

Samsung UN55HU8550/SEK-3500U 4K TV, and UBD-K8500 BR Player. Receiver: Denon AVR-X2200W configured 5.1.2.
JBL Spearkers: Center Studio 235C, 2ea- Studio 590 for L&R, ES250PBK Sub,
2ea - ES90 Towers for L&R surround, 2ea - Studio 230 for front height (Atmos).
tom703 is offline  
post #17287 of 17292 Old 06-26-2017, 02:43 PM
Member
 
rokbyter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Picker View Post
I got my 580s second-hand a couple of months ago (bought in France) and the seller told me they arrived with small damages as well!

Anyways, I'm here because although I'm really happy with the speakers, I just don't know what amp to pick. At the moment they're running an a small Calss D amp that really doesn't sound amazing and I need advice.

I just pre-purchased an Onkyo TX-8270, but I didn't do much research on Onkyo prior to the order and I heard a few things here and there that weren't totally reassuring. So the shop offer to swap for a different amp as they don't have stock and don't know when they'll do.

The HDMI inputs and the amount of physical inputs while offering a good range of "connected" functions (DLNA, Airplay, etc...) is what I was looking for to simplify my setup. However, this might not be a an option anymore, but the shop offered to swap for something that has very similar feautre, but is a Class D amp as opposed to an A/B.

Is anybody running the 580s with a class D amp here? I was tempted to go towards A/B amps to make the speakers sounds warmer, am I a fool/noob/cretin to think this'll make a noteable difference?

Any input will help! Thanks guys, Greg.
I originally had my 580s hooked up to a Sony STR-DN860, which I believe uses class D amps. Never really liked the sound. I pulled my old HK 3490 out of the closet, hooked that up, and it made a world of difference. Also tried an older Emotiva preamp and amp (class AB) with them, also much better than the Sony.

There may be some good class D amps out there (I'd try one of the new NAD models, but haven't), but I haven't heard them yet.
rokbyter is offline  
post #17288 of 17292 Old 06-30-2017, 05:49 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzog View Post
I tried my 590s with a small NAD D 3020 and they sounded great. Warmer than my Outlaw Audio 975/5000 combo.

Some speakers don't sound all that different on different amps but the JBLs definitely do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokbyter View Post
I originally had my 580s hooked up to a Sony STR-DN860, which I believe uses class D amps. Never really liked the sound. I pulled my old HK 3490 out of the closet, hooked that up, and it made a world of difference. Also tried an older Emotiva preamp and amp (class AB) with them, also much better than the Sony.

There may be some good class D amps out there (I'd try one of the new NAD models, but haven't), but I haven't heard them yet.
Thank you gentlemen! That's comforting!

I was hesitating between an Onkyo TX-8270 and a Pioneer SX-S30D but I'll stick to my original choice!
Teddy Picker is offline  
post #17289 of 17292 Old 07-01-2017, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
velvet396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Finally scored a budget pair of S38 from family. These are for secondary listening through an echo dot.

What power RMS is a good average target?
Found a little Lepy 20 watt 2ch amp.
Roctopuss likes this.

Last edited by velvet396; 07-01-2017 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Typo
velvet396 is offline  
post #17290 of 17292 Old 07-18-2017, 11:59 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does the EC35 look comparable to the Balboa center?
Computer Supplies is offline  
post #17291 of 17292 Old 07-18-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 19,357
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2343 Post(s)
Liked: 1673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer Supplies View Post
Does the EC35 look comparable to the Balboa center?
Superior to the Balboa. EC35 is a 3-way, Balboa is 2-way.
JosephTonyStark likes this.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #17292 of 17292 Old 07-18-2017, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
filecat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,495
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet396 View Post
Finally scored a budget pair of S38 from family. These are for secondary listening through an echo dot.

What power RMS is a good average target?
Found a little Lepy 20 watt 2ch amp.
JBL's recommended maximum power is 175 Watts. Of course, you could hook them up to a 1000 Watt amplifier and just avoid turning it up too high so you don't fry the networks and/or the drivers, but what fun would that be?

For your "average target," I'd go with an amp in the 100W/ch to 120W/ch range, which would easily drive them in its mid-range power band. Twenty Watts seems like asking for trouble, unless you NEVER turn it up too loud. More drivers are ruined by clipping caused by an underpowered amp driven beyond its capability than by too much power.

My target for a pair of S38s would be an amp with 150-200W/ch, which I would never turn up beyond 2/3 of the volume knob.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
filecat13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
520c , Athena , Center Channel Speaker Sku Pas749099 , Center Channel Speakers , Jbl , Jbl Balboa Sub 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Jbl G200 Bookshelf Speakers , Jbl Harman Kardon , Jbl Lc1 3 Way High Performance Dual 5 1 4 Inch Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Lc2 4 Way High Performance 6 Inch Dual Wall Mountable Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Northridge E30 2 Way 6 Inch Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black Ash , Jbl Professional , Jbl S Center Center Channel Speaker , jbl studio 5 series

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off