The OFFICIAL JBL Owners Thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 15584 Old 02-20-2008, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice.

I think I'm just going to have to thread the bare copper through the posts though, because if the red and black really are plugs, there sure doesn't seem to be a way to pop them out. I even tried needle nose pliers to pull the plugs out and it did nothing but break little bits of the plastic off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 15584 Old 02-20-2008, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone8 View Post

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'm just going to have to thread the bare copper through the posts though, because if the red and black really are plugs, there sure doesn't seem to be a way to pop them out. I even tried needle nose pliers to pull the plugs out and it did nothing but break little bits of the plastic off.

Did you unscrew the copper caps off?... then try to pop out the red and black plugs? They definately come out. Try a "blade" to pry undre the edge of the plug and pop it out.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #1893 of 15584 Old 02-20-2008, 04:18 PM

Well there doesn't seem to be an edge to get a blad under.

Imagine a button. The red or black comes up about 3 milimeters from the post, but it's edges are totally flush with the metal.
post #1894 of 15584 Old 02-20-2008, 08:02 PM

Although this thread is full of people who use JBL speakers, can someone specifically with the CS480 speakers comment on how to insert banana plugs?

I'm really feeling like an idiot. The instruction manual doesn't show anything about the black and read plastic coming out. I'm starting to think those are permanent and I have no clue.
post #1895 of 15584 Old 02-20-2008, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Although this thread is full of people who use JBL speakers, can someone specifically with the CS480 speakers comment on how to insert banana plugs?

I'm really feeling like an idiot. The instruction manual doesn't show anything about the black and read plastic coming out. I'm starting to think those are permanent and I have no clue.

I don't think anyone here does (hopefully they do).
Could you post some close-up pics of the backs???

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #1896 of 15584 Old 02-20-2008, 09:44 PM

I could take a pic tomorrow, but I don't have anywhere to host it online.
post #1897 of 15584 Old 02-20-2008, 09:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I could take a pic tomorrow, but I don't have anywhere to host it online.

Send it/them to alternatenumber2@yahoo.com and I can take a look-see, if your ok with that. The more pics and angles the better...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #1898 of 15584 Old 02-21-2008, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
tbone8,

the caps are very easy to be removed. FYI, the only reason of having those caps is due to the European standards and considering that JBL sells their speakers worldwide, they always ship' em with the caps on.

Even if you have to punch them to be removed, no worries though, as you gonna throw away those caps anyway

Regards, Chuck

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #1899 of 15584 Old 02-21-2008, 01:46 PM

Liked: 12
Hey guys I'm new to these forums and thought you guys could help me, if not let me know appropriate place to post this question.

Im upgrading my HT speakers and have decided to go with the JBL L series speakers. I know I want to go with the L890s for the fronts but my problem is with the center.

Because of size constraints what would work best for me is a LC1, BUT it seems that everyone recommends using the LC2. I have a rear projection TV on a stand with shelves 7.5" high which would be perfect for the LC1. My only option for the LC2 would be to wall mount it above and farther back than the TV screen (rear projection) and L890s.

So my questions are, 1. Would the LC1 be a good center to match the L890s?
2. Is the LC2 THAT much better than the LC1?
3. If the LC2 is really my only option how would it sound from above the TV?
4. Any other suggestions on what I could do in placing the center?

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated.
post #1900 of 15584 Old 02-21-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

Wow, didn't take you long to ditch the Voice, did it? Let me know what you think about the LC1. I've found the S-Center II to be a huge upgrade in sound quality. I'm going to force myself to hold off on the Studio Ls for quite a while, but I have a feeling I'll get there eventually...it's only a matter of time.

Following up on this one...

Received the LC1 yesterday. To me, it's a bit warmer and fuller than the Voice, and it does handle dialog better. It sounds very good, and this is a bit of a beast of a center channel. Not that huge, but it is quite heavy.

Night and day different? I don't think I'd go that far, but I'm not what you'd call a sophisticated listener, either. What I'd really like to do is A/B the Voice against the LC1 in real-time (anyone know some simple mechanics for this that won't upset my receiver?). Switching back and forth by re-wiring the speakers makes it hard to tell the difference. By the time I have B wired up, I've forgotten what A sounded like!

Love the LC1 so far, though. I don't "feel" any mismatch with the Venue Stadiums and we had things cranked WAY up last night listening to the 5.1 version of Dire Straits Brothers In Arms and the opening battle of Master & Commander.

After hearing the system now, I'm putting my "lust for L's" on hold for awhile. As is, this already sounds so much better than any theater I've ever attended...
post #1901 of 15584 Old 02-21-2008, 09:15 PM

Just hooked up my beech L880's and LC1 tonight. I am in love. That is with my 9 year old jvc receiver. Tomorrow I pick up my Denon 4308ci--just a little step up.

I am currently deciding whether to go w/ L820's for my surrounds (5.1 set up for now, with a sunfire HRS-12 sub) or go with another pair of L880's.

It was this thread that convinced me to stay with the JBL name. Thanks everyone! All I need to do now is figure out what to do w/ the old ND-310II's...
post #1902 of 15584 Old 02-21-2008, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatanka01 View Post

Received the LC1 yesterday. To me, it's a bit warmer and fuller than the Voice, and it does handle dialog better. It sounds very good, and this is a bit of a beast of a center channel. Not that huge, but it is quite heavy.

Night and day different? I don't think I'd go that far, but I'm not what you'd call a sophisticated listener, either. What I'd really like to do is A/B the Voice against the LC1 in real-time (anyone know some simple mechanics for this that won't upset my receiver?). Switching back and forth by re-wiring the speakers makes it hard to tell the difference. By the time I have B wired up, I've forgotten what A sounded like!

Love the LC1 so far, though. I don't "feel" any mismatch with the Venue Stadiums and we had things cranked WAY up last night listening to the 5.1 version of Dire Straits Brothers In Arms and the opening battle of Master & Commander.

After hearing the system now, I'm putting my "lust for L's" on hold for awhile. As is, this already sounds so much better than any theater I've ever attended...

Thanks for the impressions. I guess "night and day" might have sent the wrong message, but suffice it to say the difference was not slight in my opinion going from the Voice to the S-Center II. Dialog is more natural, and vocals in singing (especially male) are far superior. This is probably due to the fact that it's 3-way and not an MTM design, but has the tweeter stacked above a midrange driver. I almost wondered if I had a slight defect with my Voice center speaker, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to mess around with it. I found an S-Center II on eBay for a great price and that was that - it blends perfectly with the rest of my system, and I couldn't be happier . Glad to hear you like your LC1 as well. As far as my thoughts on the rest of my Venue setup, I agree with you that they're pretty darn sweet - hidden gems at their rock bottom price point. Anyway, just thought I'd congratulate you on your new speaker.
post #1903 of 15584 Old 02-22-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:

... What I'd really like to do is A/B the Voice against the LC1 in real-time (anyone know some simple mechanics for this that won't upset my receiver?). Switching back and forth by re-wiring the speakers makes it hard to tell the difference. By the time I have B wired up, I've forgotten what A sounded like! ...

Why don't you try connecting them in parallel??? ... you can place one on top and the other at the bottom of your TV and compare how they sound ... I don't think this will upset your receiver if you do it for a short period of time.
post #1904 of 15584 Old 02-22-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:

What I would do is run them as your mains and then get an audio book and play it over 2 channel w/o the sub.

I love the Venue series. Bit of an impulse purchase on my part but they were cheap, sound good, and fill up our modest 1,250 sqft townhouse without pissing off the neighbors. (I'm actually thinking of getting a pair of Stadiums now that I know I can get away with a fair amount of volume)

I don't think the Voice is all that bad, (then again the only thing I've seriously compared it with is my old Sony HTIB center) but it would be nice to get a 3-way center to match the Stages.
post #1905 of 15584 Old 02-22-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

Thanks for the impressions. I guess "night and day" might have sent the wrong message, but suffice it to say the difference was not slight in my opinion going from the Voice to the S-Center II. Dialog is more natural, and vocals in singing (especially male) are far superior. This is probably due to the fact that it's 3-way and not an MTM design, but has the tweeter stacked above a midrange driver. I almost wondered if I had a slight defect with my Voice center speaker, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to mess around with it. I found an S-Center II on eBay for a great price and that was that - it blends perfectly with the rest of my system, and I couldn't be happier . Glad to hear you like your LC1 as well. As far as my thoughts on the rest of my Venue setup, I agree with you that they're pretty darn sweet - hidden gems at their rock bottom price point. Anyway, just thought I'd congratulate you on your new speaker.

Oh, it may well BE night and day, but I'm not sure I could tell the difference given what I have now to compare them. This is why I'd like to run a test that is better controlled (see next post). My memory is notoriously short, so it's hard for me to listen to one and compare it to something else five minutes later.

Gotta agree on the Venues, though. These should be near the top of the heap when budget is an issue. After almost six months with the Venues, I want to put together a "low end" system for my basement office. I'm really thinking I can get component performance for about a grand now.
post #1906 of 15584 Old 02-22-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_XJ220 View Post

What I would do is run them as your mains and then get an audio book and play it over 2 channel w/o the sub.

I love the Venue series. Bit of an impulse purchase on my part but they were cheap, sound good, and fill up our modest 1,250 sqft townhouse without pissing off the neighbors. (I'm actually thinking of getting a pair of Stadiums now that I know I can get away with a fair amount of volume)

I don't think the Voice is all that bad, (then again the only thing I've seriously compared it with is my old Sony HTIB center) but it would be nice to get a 3-way center to match the Stages.

I really want to be able to switch between the Voice and the LC1 in a "real" 5.1 or 7.1 situation. I'm sure the LC1 will win, but the goal would be to switch between the two in a way that the difference is apparent. I'll think of something...

Agreed on the Venues... I'm in a house and the neighbors are pretty cool, so I can run things as loud as I want. Let's just say they haven't called the police...yet (but we don't tend to abuse the privilege). I've got Stadiums in the front with a SUB12 and four Monitors in the rear. All driven with a Yamaha RX-V1800. Sounds great to me! And I've never run things to the point of distortion. This is what amazes me... VERY loud and still clean sound. No fatigue, it all sounds great to me.

Oh, I WANT some L890's. But now I'm wondering how much of this is marketing and how much is science. I'm sure there is a difference, and it's probably a big one for those who can hear a big difference, but right now, I'm thinking it's pretty cool to be the "cheap drunk."

We'll see how this pans out with time.
post #1907 of 15584 Old 02-22-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:

I really want to be able to switch between the Voice and the LC1 in a "real" 5.1 or 7.1 situation. I'm sure the LC1 will win, but the goal would be to switch between the two in a way that the difference is apparent. I'll think of something...

So ... you didn't like my first idea neither this
Quote:

"What I would do is run them as your mains and then get an audio book and play it over 2 channel w/o the sub."

What about using a receiver with an A, B and A+B speaker selector??? ... I saw that your RXV 1800 doesn't have this option; you can compare in real time ... I don't know what is better to hear the difference: switching speakers with an A and B selector or play them at the same time ...
post #1908 of 15584 Old 02-23-2008, 09:18 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjahifi View Post

Hey guys I'm new to these forums and thought you guys could help me, if not let me know appropriate place to post this question.

Im upgrading my HT speakers and have decided to go with the JBL L series speakers. I know I want to go with the L890s for the fronts but my problem is with the center.

Because of size constraints what would work best for me is a LC1, BUT it seems that everyone recommends using the LC2. I have a rear projection TV on a stand with shelves 7.5" high which would be perfect for the LC1. My only option for the LC2 would be to wall mount it above and farther back than the TV screen (rear projection) and L890s.

So my questions are, 1. Would the LC1 be a good center to match the L890s?
2. Is the LC2 THAT much better than the LC1?
3. If the LC2 is really my only option how would it sound from above the TV?
4. Any other suggestions on what I could do in placing the center?

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated.

Do what I did, suspend your LC2 over your RPTV on a little TV arm wallmount thing
post #1909 of 15584 Old 02-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Nice:

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/906jbl/

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
post #1910 of 15584 Old 02-23-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hello,
I have both the LC1 and LC2 and have experimented with them, the L890s and most of Studio S series and L series.
The LC2 sounds better with the L890s. 2nd choice would be an Scenter. However other considerations such as WAF, mounting etc could make the LC1 a better choice than the Scenter.
I used the LC1 with a 7.1 setup in another room using L820s for surrounds and S412s for mains. I did this because there was nowhere to put the LC2. I had the LC2 propped up on a cardboard box temporarily and it sounded great but had to go with the LC1. After a couple of weeks I removed the LC1 and built a 6' riser for my LCD and put the Scenter back to better match the S412s. Another reason for doing this is to use the LC1 with 2 pair of L810s in another setup.
LC1 sounds great but still depends on what you match it with.
I vote LC2 with L890s.
Oh and I plan on getting a more powerful 2 channel amp just to run the L890s and let my AVR run the S38 surrounds.
post #1911 of 15584 Old 02-24-2008, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145 View Post

Hello,

Oh and I plan on getting a more powerful 2 channel amp just to run the L890s and let my AVR run the S38 surrounds.

I would suggest am amp of at least 200wpc to power the L890. I had a pair of L890s connected to 3 different systems, the one they sounded best with was the system with a 220wpc Parasound amp.
post #1912 of 15584 Old 02-24-2008, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks 4DHD. Been reading the threads about QSC and Crowns in that range of power. I live near a "music town" and they are often up for sale 2nd hand but I've found at least 1 online site that serves them up new for around the same as the used ones locally. I'll add the Parasound to the list. I have an enclosed shallow 19" 24U rack that already has an HTPC and a shelf for my AVR. Plenty of room left, just looking for a deal.
post #1913 of 15584 Old 02-24-2008, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

First time I've seen a deal like this, a 5 channel Studio L system, sold as a package. A sweet system at the price of $749.99
Can't get the link to work, but its an ebay store, AADeals&Deals

post #1914 of 15584 Old 02-24-2008, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145 View Post

Thanks 4DHD. Been reading the threads about QSC and Crowns in that range of power.

Crown amps are a good way to go. I use a Crown K2 (800wpc, into 4 ohms) to drive 4 subs.
post #1915 of 15584 Old 02-24-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw that to about a week ago. Killer deal. Wish I could get a pair of cherry 880s to go with the other L 3ways but guess I have enough speakers. Instead, I was seriously considering getting a single L890 for a matching center but then I'd need to get a 4 channel 200w amp... and the beat goes on...
post #1916 of 15584 Old 02-24-2008, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I certainly don't need any more speakers, but if I wanted that deal, it would really be a grand, as the shipping from VA to NV would be $244.
But that would still be cheaper than the $1400 I paid for a pair of L890 at Fry's Electronics, most of two years ago.
post #1917 of 15584 Old 02-24-2008, 10:41 AM

Why are the studio L series sold at such a big discount? You can find huge discounts on all models especially the sub and l830. Are they of such low quality that JBL can't afford to sell them at their MSRP because they won't stack up against other speakers of similar price?
post #1918 of 15584 Old 02-24-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

If I had a retail business right now I would be dumping everything in stock no matter what brand it was except for the very high end stuff.
post #1919 of 15584 Old 02-24-2008, 10:51 AM

Why is that? Are audio sales down that much?
post #1920 of 15584 Old 02-24-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halvie View Post

Why are the studio L series sold at such a big discount? You can find huge discounts on all models especially the sub and l830. Are they of such low quality that JBL can't afford to sell them at their MSRP because they won't stack up against other speakers of similar price?

Oh my goodness... WOW... no. The JBL Studio-Ls are probably the best full range speakers you can buy on the market at their pricepoint. It has always been part of JBLs marketing strategy to sell their speakers at discounted prices from retail. The line has also been on the market for a while now, so the longer a product is on the market, the lower the prices will go. Most buyers of such a product would have purchased said product, so the price is therefore lowered to attract new consumers/buyers. It's just marketing plain and simple.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jbl Professional , Jbl Harman Kardon , Jbl G200 Bookshelf Speakers , Jbl S Center Center Channel Speaker , Jbl Balboa Sub 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Center Channel Speaker Sku Pas749099 , Jbl , Jbl Northridge E30 2 Way 6 Inch Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black Ash , Jbl Lc1 3 Way High Performance Dual 5 1 4 Inch Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Lc2 4 Way High Performance 6 Inch Dual Wall Mountable Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Center Channel Speakers , Athena
Gear in this thread - G200 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page