post #211 of 15327 Old 08-04-2007, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewang View Post

I connected L8400P to pioneer elite 84 A/V receiver with a monster subwoofer cable. On the subwoofer, I connected the cable to "Line Level In" L (also tried R), and set "crossover" to 50 and volume to Max. On the receiver site, I connected it to "SUB W." terminal post in the "Pre OUT" section.

However, when I ran the "Auto MCACC" setup on the receiver, the subwoofer doesn't produce much sound, and the message I got on the setup screen shows an error and says "the subwoofer output is too slow or turn up volume on subwoofer".

Anything wrong with my connection? or the L8400P is not in good condition? I got it from a clearance sale (along with the other good stuff), but didn't test it.

help me out!

George

Here are things to check.

On the receiver:
Are your speakers set to "small"?
Is subwoofer set to "on"?
Where did you set the crossover frequency for the sub output?
If there's a subwoofer level adjustment, where is it set?

On the JBL sub:
Is the subwoofer level control set to 50% (halfway) or more?
Does the LF volume increase when you turn the level control clockwise?
Is the subwoofer LFE switch in the "On" position?
Does the output change when you flip the phase control switch?

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 15327 Old 08-05-2007, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have this:

SCS300.5 Theater Pack

I want to upgrade this to 7.1 using
Venue seires monitor] to be my fronts
and may be the same type as the monitor for my center.

And the other option is get 2 more of the SCS300 and keep my current center.

My hesitation is the SCS300 piece may sound better that the monitor. Thanks.

(255,0,0)
post #213 of 15327 Old 08-05-2007, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewang View Post

I connected L8400P to pioneer elite 84 A/V receiver with a monster subwoofer cable. On the subwoofer, I connected the cable to "Line Level In" L (also tried R), and set "crossover" to 50 and volume to Max. On the receiver site, I connected it to "SUB W." terminal post in the "Pre OUT" section.

However, when I ran the "Auto MCACC" setup on the receiver, the subwoofer doesn't produce much sound, and the message I got on the setup screen shows an error and says "the subwoofer output is too slow or turn up volume on subwoofer".
George

I can't believe I didn't think of this first!
Those Monster sub cables are directional.
They have a ring, around one end, that has arrows pointing towards that end.
That end should be connected to the sub, if you don't see those arrows, look at the receiver end. If the arrows are there, its backwards.
I just relocated one of my subs, yesterday, from one system to another, and I use those cables. Which is what made me think of it.

Have you tried re-running the auto setup? There has been times with my H/K635 when I ran the auto setup that it didn't "see" one or another speaker, including the sub. So I would clear the memory and run it again.
Also, if you have the switch on the sub set for LFE the XO on the sub will be out of the circuit.
If you're not using the LFE position then the XO point on the sub either needs to be set higher than the XO on the receiver, unless the receiver is passing a full range signal thru the subout, which I doubt.
As Filecat13 has mentioned, toggle the phase switch to see if that makes a difference.

Another thing you can do to check the sub itself is to connected the sub to the receiver with speaker wire, using the speaker level inputs. Then connect the speaker outs to the mains. Set the XO on the sub to 50htz, I'm assumming your mains go that low, as that is what you did already.
Then go into the receiver menu and set the mains to large, and sub menu to none. Then play a dvd or cd. If the sub is working properly then you know the problem is something else.
post #214 of 15327 Old 08-05-2007, 07:07 AM

I am new to the Home Theater scene. After reading a lot reviews and forum threads I decided to go for the Onkyo 605 AV receiver in combination with the JBL SCS260.6 speakers.

But can someone maybe tell me if these JBL speakers are a good choice to be used with this receiver. I want to use them mostly for watching movies.

The Onkyo 605 delivers 90W (8 Ohm) output on each channel. The JBL SCS260.6 speakers have the following specifications (found this in the downloaded owners manual):

SATELLITES
Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power: 100 Watts
Power Handling (Continuous/Peak): 50W/200W
Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
Sensitivity: 88dB @ 1 Watt/1 meter
Frequency Response: 100Hz - 20kHz (-6dB)

CENTER
Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power: 100 Watts
Power Handling (Continuous/Peak): 50W/200W
Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
Sensitivity: 88dB @ 1 Watt/1 meter
Frequency Response: 100Hz - 20kHz (-6dB)

SUBWOOFER
Amplifier: 100 Watts RMS
Frequency Response: 35Hz - 160Hz (-6dB)

I see that the speakers have a "Continues Power Handling" of 50W for the satellites and center speakers. Is this enough? or far too low?

If these speakers are not a good pare for the Onkyo 605, can anyone suggest me a good alternativ for the JBL speakers. .
post #215 of 15327 Old 08-05-2007, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

They should work, 50w to 90w is good. I've run speakers rated at 100w with an amp that output 220w with no problems.
post #216 of 15327 Old 08-05-2007, 10:13 AM

I am planning to get the JBL Venue Speakers for my 5.1 HT.

Stage for fronts
Voice for center
Monitor for surrounds
Sub12 for subwoofer

I would like to know if these speakers can be drove by H/K AVR247.
post #217 of 15327 Old 08-05-2007, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevHD View Post

Stage for fronts
Voice for center
Monitor for surrounds
Sub12 for subwoofer

Well, the 247 only does 50w and the Stage are rated @ 80w. So the AVR is really under powered, which can lead to distortion, clipping. If were my choice, I'd get a H/K with more power, at least the 645 @ 75w.
The 745 would be better. But you can always add an amp to the others, if they have preouts.
On the other hand it also depends on the size of the room and if you live in a house or an apartment. Too loud in an apartment and the neighbors will screem at you.
post #218 of 15327 Old 08-05-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevHD View Post

Stage for fronts
Voice for center
Monitor for surrounds
Sub12 for subwoofer

That particular HK will drive your speakers, but it's at the low end of acceptability. It's a bit shy on power when run in multichannel mode. You can use it safely as long as you don't overdrive it and send it into clipping. This will happen because the speakers can draw all the power it has, then a peak transient comes through that requires more power and the amp clips the sine wave because it doesn't have enough headroom. It's already maxed out.

I'd suggest you keep the volume control below the 2/3 point in its rotation, and you should be fine. If you hear any distortion at that level, turn it down. (Anytime you hear distortion, turn it down, no matter what you're running.)

However, you'll probably want more volume than that eventually, so the only recourse is to get a more powerful receiver.

post #219 of 15327 Old 08-05-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

However, you'll probably want more volume than that eventually, so the only recourse is to get a more powerful receiver.

I was just looking at the 745AVR @ J&R computer World, where I bought my 635.
They are selling the $3499 745 for only $998. That's less than a 1/3 and only about $100 more than I paid for the 635. And the 745 has two subouts and upconverts video to 1080 over hdmi.
post #220 of 15327 Old 08-05-2007, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to disagree, but I run the HT4 and HT5 speakers with an AVR-347 (55 wpc) and it has plenty of punch. They are recommended to be run with 150 watts.

Loud setting is -20dB and very loud is -10dB.

A 247 should have no problem running the Venue series.
post #221 of 15327 Old 08-05-2007, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLKstudios View Post

Sorry to disagree, but I run the HT4 and HT5 speakers with an AVR-347 (55 wpc) and it has plenty of punch. They are recommended to be run with 150 watts.

Loud setting is -20dB and very loud is -10dB.

A 247 should have no problem running the Venue series.

Well, not to disagree with your disagreement, but 150W is the maximum recommended amplifier power, not the recommendation for the amount of power to send to the speaker.

From the HT Series manual:

Quote:

The maximum recommended amplifier power rating will ensure proper system headroom to allow for
occasional peaks. We do not recommend sustained operation at these maximum power levels.

Most of the time your amp will be loafing along at a few watts, then it will need 100 or more to properly form a sudden burst of sonic energy without clipping it. Probably 90-95% of the time, that 50W will be more than adequate.

In that regard we all three agree: it's a capable amp for kevHD's Venues under reasonable circumstances. If we all go over to his house, tip back a few, put on "Back In Black" and yell "Crank it up!!" and he turns it way up, we'll all be dining on bacon and fried tweeters in the morning.

post #222 of 15327 Old 08-05-2007, 05:25 PM

thanks for all your replies, 4DHD, filecat13 & MLKstudios!

I was able to order the venue speakers already and it will arrive 8-10 days from now. now, it seems that I need to really look into what HK reciever will I get..

the AVR745 is not in my budget range as of now.
what's the difference in the features of AVR 247 & AVR645 aside from the wattage?

my video sources are directly connected to my 1080p TV so all of the audio will be hookup to the a/v reciever via fiber and I won't be needing video upconversion.

I think I will be using my setup 50% on movies & 50% on music.
post #223 of 15327 Old 08-05-2007, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the AVR745 is not in my budget range as of now.
what's the difference in the features of AVR 247 & AVR645 aside from the wattage?

Well, go to the Harman/Kardon web site and pull both those units up side by side. The site has a comparision feature.
post #224 of 15327 Old 08-05-2007, 06:32 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
a friend of mine just bought a nice JBL system

5 LSR6328P bi-amplified studio monitors

2 LSR6312SP powered studio subs

B&K Reference 50 S2 pre-pro

he seems to be very happy with it

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #225 of 15327 Old 08-06-2007, 09:01 AM

Guys, I need some help.

I have a modest home theater setup consisting or S38II mains, a S Center II and N24 II's in the rear. No Sub. I need to purchase another receiver, and I have narrowed my choice to the Onkyo TX SR-703 or the Harman Kardon AVR 330. Both are used, and because of this, I cannot audition either with my speakers.

The Onkyo is about $100 more than the Harman, but has more features (THX, etc), more power (100 vs 55 WPC), and a much better remote (learning). But I am buying this to listen to!

Based on your experience, which will be a better match for the speakers. I listen to more music than movies (65/35), but I do enjoy my movies and sound effects.

As I said, I cannot demo either of these with my speakers, so I GREATLY appreciate the feedback. I will own this for a long time. I have been very happy with these speakers, but I need to find the right receiver. Thanks in advance for the help! I have to decide fast...
post #226 of 15327 Old 08-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by condenatto View Post

Guys, I need some help.

I have a modest home theater setup consisting or S38II mains, a S Center II and N24 II's in the rear. No Sub. I need to purchase another receiver, and I have narrowed my choice to the Onkyo TX SR-703 or the Harman Kardon AVR 330. Both are used, and because of this, I cannot audition either with my speakers.

The Onkyo is about $100 more than the Harman, but has more features (THX, etc), more power (100 vs 55 WPC), and a much better remote (learning). But I am buying this to listen to!

Based on your experience, which will be a better match for the speakers. I listen to more music than movies (65/35), but I do enjoy my movies and sound effects.

As I said, I cannot demo either of these with my speakers, so I GREATLY appreciate the feedback. I will own this for a long time. I have been very happy with these speakers, but I need to find the right receiver. Thanks in advance for the help! I have to decide fast...

That is my exact setup, but add an Athena AS-P300 sub.

Either one of those receiver will be just fine, and probably won't sound diferent to your ears, though if you are going to continue to run w/o a sub, the extra wattage of the onkyo will be to your benefit.

THX is not a feature, by the way, just a certification that says "this piece of equipment meets minimum standards". There is plenty of non-THX rated equipment that is just as good as THX rated equipment.

Listen to the Real HT Info Podcast at http://realht.info, including video reviews at my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/realhtinfo/videos
post #227 of 15327 Old 08-06-2007, 10:09 AM

Eugovector, which receiver do you have?

In reference to the THX as a feature, THX has proprietary surround processing modes for surround and two channel content.
post #228 of 15327 Old 08-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Pioneer vsx-d850s, 6.1 channel, 110 watts per channel.

As for THX Surround EX, it's basically Dolby Surround EX with a layer of THX processing laid over the top. It's benefits over plain Dolby Surround EX are debatable.

Listen to the Real HT Info Podcast at http://realht.info, including video reviews at my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/realhtinfo/videos
post #229 of 15327 Old 08-06-2007, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I run JBL Synthesis with a 55 wpc H/K. It has plenty of power.
post #230 of 15327 Old 08-06-2007, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCaniac View Post

Thanks for responding. . .yes I'm definitely keeping the E90CH in my search, as well as the E60CH, but not so much.

The search goes on!
Josh

Dude, check it out.
http://cgi.*********/JBL-E-90-Northr...QQcmdZViewItem

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #231 of 15327 Old 08-06-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Dude, check it out.
http://cgi.*********/JBL-E-90-Northr...QQcmdZViewItem

Well, link no worky, but just search for e90. They're cheeeeeerrrry .

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #232 of 15327 Old 08-06-2007, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I joined the JBL club.

Kickin' it old school with a pair of JBL 4435 Studio Monitors.

There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity. You can't take the sky from me.
post #233 of 15327 Old 08-06-2007, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semisentient View Post

I joined the JBL club.

Good score. Were they the ones with the non-factory round grates screwed over the woofers?

post #234 of 15327 Old 08-06-2007, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
WOW. Some lucky duck picked up those PT800's I mentioned that were listed on fleabay for 600 bucks. They were immaculate beech. <---color me envious.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #235 of 15327 Old 08-06-2007, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

WOW. Some lucky duck picked up those PT800's I mentioned that were listed on fleabay for 600 bucks. They were immaculate beech. <---color me envious.

Well, did you bid on them? I did, but stopped at $590. I had no intention of going over $600 being they were only going to be my 6th,7th channels, which is already covered by a pair of L212s.

But now there is an auction for the PS pre/pro and 7 channel amp on ebay. The guy mentioned he was also going to sell the entire 7 channel PS speaker system as well, later.

I don't know what is the problem, but I can never get a pic in a post, only a link. But over at lansing Heritage, I do the same thing as here, and I always get the pic posted.
LL
post #236 of 15327 Old 08-06-2007, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

Good score. Were they the ones with the non-factory round grates screwed over the woofers?

Yup. Picked them up today. The grates will be coming off...

There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity. You can't take the sky from me.
post #237 of 15327 Old 08-07-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:

I joined the JBL club.

Congrats on the 4435's. Where did you ever find them? Post a picture once they are in place. I have been using a pair of 4430's since they first came out (dates me a bit). I worked in the pro audio business and was able to pick them up direct for 50% of retail, cheaper than the company I worked for could buy them for stock). I could make one employee purchase a year, so, for two years in a row I purchased a pair of 4430's, selling the pair from the previous year to a customer (not making the boss too pleased). I designed the audio system for an IMax theater in Minneapolis and used a total of 9 4435's in the system. In addition I installed 5 (I think) 18" custom JBL driven subwoofs. The system kicked. If I had had the room at the time I also would have had the 4435's at home, but, with 2 15's in a side by side configuration I figured they were just a bit large. My 4430's in action: http://www.pbase.com/rking401/image/69561841 I'll put up a better picture later. I had my 4430's restained in a darker gloss finish that looks much nicer than the original.

I recently picked up a brand new pair of JBL LSR4328P's on Ebay that I am now using as my computer speakers. I bit of overkill for normal computer speakers, but I still do some occassional production work and need the accuracy. These things sound GREAT in this application, just sitting there on my desk. I'll post a picture later.
post #238 of 15327 Old 08-07-2007, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I got them on good ol' ebay. A weekend auction ending and local pickup only allowed me to snag em' for $800.

I did some listening yesteday and was pretty much blown away. And that just sitting in my driveway... They are pretty huge. I can see why 4430s would be easier to live with in the house.

This is the first time in a while (since maybe getting Grado headphones) I have been excited to get home to crank some tunes!

I have to say JBL pro stuff us pretty awesome.

post #239 of 15327 Old 08-07-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:

I got them on good ol' ebay. A weekend auction ending and local pickup only allowed me to snag em' for $800.

YOU are one lucky guy!!! If I were you I would feel very guilty about the price you paid for them, well, at least until you get them hooked up to enjoy.
post #240 of 15327 Old 08-07-2007, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

Well, did you bid on them? I did, but stopped at $590. I had no intention of going over $600 being they were only going to be my 6th,7th channels, which is already covered by a pair of L212s.

But now there is an auction for the PS pre/pro and 7 channel amp on ebay. The guy mentioned he was also going to sell the entire 7 channel PS speaker system as well, later.

I don't know what is the problem, but I can never get a pic in a post, only a link. But over at lansing Heritage, I do the same thing as here, and I always get the pic posted.

Naw, I'm stuck for a while with my Studio S series (312's). I puzzled for the longest time on whether to give away my J350 surrounds and get a pair of Infinity Beta ES250 dipoles or JBL S38's or scrap the whole thing and go for a PSeries. The CFO took care of that decision. I just spent my wad on the S38's and new bohemoth stands...one week before the PS800's hit ebay.

$590, eh? Man, that next 12 dollar and 50 cent stretch would have been nice for you.

And to whomever provided the Heritage Link. Many thanks. Cool site!!

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jbl Professional , Jbl Harman Kardon , Jbl G200 Bookshelf Speakers , Jbl S Center Center Channel Speaker , Jbl Balboa Sub 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Center Channel Speaker Sku Pas749099 , Jbl , Jbl Northridge E30 2 Way 6 Inch Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black Ash , Jbl Lc1 3 Way High Performance Dual 5 1 4 Inch Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Jbl Lc2 4 Way High Performance 6 Inch Dual Wall Mountable Center Channel Loudspeaker Black , Center Channel Speakers , Athena
Gear in this thread - G200 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page