Book Shelf Speakers , Which one?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 07-05-2007, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers to go in my bedroom. While waiting for mounting brackets to arrive, I put my Polk R150s (which I use for my rears in my LR 7.1 system and cost $55/pair) in there and they sounded pretty good. In fact, I have a 3.1 old school pioneer receiver and I tried a sound test with just the pair and a sub and then the pair with a center channel..and the result was I sent the center back becasue it sounded way better with just the two R150s. Now I am looking to get some permanently in there and was thinking it would be a good chance to demo the av123's speakers which I hear so much about (or maybe some pardigms, axioms, aperion, etc). So here the first question:

Which one of these would be better?:

x-ls Bookshelf Loudspeaker or Onix Reference 0.5 Monitor Loudspeaker

Money is not the concern, which one is better?

I would assume the reference is, but the x-ls is bigger and has beter specs???

Also, if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!! Such as PAradigms, aperion, etc!!!!

Let me know...I will also be putting these up against my Polk R50's which I got for $183 shipped. So, if they do not sound better than these...they are going straight back, Im posting it here and buying more floorstanding Polks for less!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-05-2007, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

post #4 of 22 Old 07-07-2007, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

I'm starting to think this site is nothing more than a sales pitch. I post about spending over $1000 and get 100 responses. Then I ask about $200-300 pairs of bookshelves and get nothing. I guess no one knows about speaker mounts here either...because my posts on that got no answers...just thank yous for my own answers after I ordered mine.

So...does anyone on here have an opinion on any of these or what? If not, I am going to just do the test on the AV123's 0.5s and put them up against my Polk R50s and see if they even compete..if not..return.

Hopefully tomorrow I can go get a $500 sub from BB too and test it against the one I bought from opinions on this site and see if it really was worth it or not. (eD A5-300)
post #5 of 22 Old 07-07-2007, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOL....Good Luck

Russ
post #6 of 22 Old 07-07-2007, 11:31 PM

love my Axiom M3's for $330.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-08-2007, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrjw View Post

Which one of these would be better?
x-ls Bookshelf Loudspeaker or Onix Reference 0.5 Monitor Loudspeaker:

Thats subjective, only you can decide. They are all good. Each has it's specific strong points. Also, I would guess very few people here have had an opportunity to specifically audition both of the speakers you have mentioned.

Quote:

I would assume the reference is, but the x-ls is bigger and has beter specs???

Also, if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!! Such as PAradigms, aperion, etc!!!!

Specs mean nothing to me. Most all speakers spec well, but they all sound very different, don't they? What does that tell you?

Also, what are you using these speakers for? Music or movies? What kind of music? Jazz classical, rock or maybe accoustic. That all has something to do with what speaker might be better for you. Were you planning to use a sub?

Lastly, the previous posters were trying to direct you to threads where some of the speakers you mentioned were discussed to death. Why don't you read these threads and digest the wealth of knowledge within. You might even try the forums search engine. Instead of stomping your feet and demanding immediate responses to redundant questions.

Jon
post #8 of 22 Old 07-08-2007, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

I'll be using a sub and I will use them for 99% HT. I have read a lot of reviews on a lot of speakers and nobody really says one wins over another most of the time. But any way...like I said, I will try the ref 0.5s and put them up against my r50s and see. Then I will post which one is better. I wont get into imaging, sound stage, or whatever...I'll just post here which one sounded better to me.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm starting to think this site is nothing more than a sales pitch. I post about spending over $1000 and get 100 responses. Then I ask about $200-300 pairs of bookshelves and get nothing. I guess no one knows about speaker mounts here either...because my posts on that got no answers...just thank yous for my own answers after I ordered mine.

So...does anyone on here have an opinion on any of these or what? If not, I am going to just do the test on the AV123's 0.5s and put them up against my Polk R50s and see if they even compete..if not..return.

Hopefully tomorrow I can go get a $500 sub from BB too and test it against the one I bought from opinions on this site and see if it really was worth it or not. (eD A5-300)

there is a search function grouchy, probably a thousand threads, for bookshelf speakers in that range, and multiple threads on each speaker you listed. Who the heck is sales pitching anything to you. Insulting a whole site because you did not receive the replies you wanted is kind of whining. What would be wrong with you doing a little research.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'll be using a sub and I will use them for 99% HT. I have read a lot of reviews on a lot of speakers and nobody really says one wins over another most of the time. But any way...like I said, I will try the ref 0.5s and put them up against my r50s and see. Then I will post which one is better. I wont get into imaging, sound stage, or whatever...I'll just post here which one sounded better to me.

Yea just cram them up against the wall, and hang upside down from the ceiling they will sound better that way, the room the way you place the speakers in the room and everything else in it is all going to influence the sound of your speakers to varying degrees.
post #11 of 22 Old 07-08-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:

That sounds like the best way to decide anyway. FWIW, I was "sold" on Xls before I heard them - silly I know. And I kept missing chances to audition them locally. But, I knew I could return them. My "expectations" were they better be a step up from what I had. And, delightfully, they are. Now, if I auditioned others, would they even be better??? Maybe, but I LOVE my Xls & I was really happy w/ what I had before...
so, mission accomplished....

I'm running 3 Xls across the front, replacing older Paradigm Titans (rear duty 'til I complete my X system)
LL
LL
LL

"I'm a fleabit peanut monkey - all my friends are junkies..."WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!
post #12 of 22 Old 07-08-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Isn't it all about imaging, soundstage and accurate reproduction? What is it your looking for in a speaker? Your R50's have (2) 6 1/2 woofers which will result in a lot more room filling bass than for instance the Polk LSi7's which cost about $700/pr. and has (1) 5 1/2" midrange driver. Are the R50 better, not by a long shot. The R50 are a beer budget speaker. Like a minivan they do everything, but nothing well.

I don't want to be rude, but do you know what a good speaker sounds like. May I suggest you go to the best audio saloons in your area and educate yourself as what qualities make a speaker excellent. We can suggest speakers to you, but that doesn't mean you will appreciate them. Just because they may be excellent, you may still prefer crappy speakers because your ears aren't trained to appreciate the difference. For instance, I recently took my parents to a 5 star restraurant and had an incredible meal. However, all I heard was complaints because, all my mom wanted was a homestyle dinner at Bob Evans. She actually ask the waiter if he could find her some sliced lunch meat and a boiled potato. This is an excellent example, even after tasting fine food she still preferred lunch meat and a boiled potato. Get my point. Both of the speakers your considering are much better than the Polk R50, but will you think so.

Jon
post #13 of 22 Old 07-08-2007, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsteraudio View Post

there is a search function grouchy, probably a thousand threads, for bookshelf speakers in that range, and multiple threads on each speaker you listed. Who the heck is sales pitching anything to you. Insulting a whole site because you did not receive the replies you wanted is kind of whining. What would be wrong with you doing a little research.

I've done plenty of research. And i never received one response until I "whined". And this one really helped...so if you dont have any help for me...then go post something somewhere else.
post #14 of 22 Old 07-08-2007, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yea just cram them up against the wall, and hang upside down from the ceiling they will sound better that way, the room the way you place the speakers in the room and everything else in it is all going to influence the sound of your speakers to varying degrees.

WTF is your problem? Why dont you come down to NOLA and I'll hang you on my ceiling....then let the 50000 mexicans that moved in beat you like a pinata. maybe that will help.

and just to let your dumb ass know...if i test speaker in the same F ing room...then its an even comparison... are you saying in your house when you hook up speaker the room changes?
post #15 of 22 Old 07-08-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviman33 View Post

Isn't it all about imaging, soundstage and accurate reproduction? What is it your looking for in a speaker? Your R50's have (2) 6 1/2 woofers which will result in a lot more room filling bass than for instance the Polk LSi7's which cost about $700/pr. and has (1) 5 1/2" midrange driver. Are the R50 better, not by a long shot. The R50 are a beer budget speaker. Like a minivan they do everything, but nothing well.

I don't want to be rude, but do you know what a good speaker sounds like. May I suggest you go to the best audio saloons in your area and educate yourself as what qualities make a speaker excellent. We can suggest speakers to you, but that doesn't mean you will appreciate them. Just because they may be excellent, you may still prefer crappy speakers because your ears aren't trained to appreciate the difference. For instance, I recently took my parents to a 5 star restraurant and had an incredible meal. However, all I heard was complaints because, all my mom wanted was a homestyle dinner at Bob Evans. She actually ask the waiter if he could find her some sliced lunch meat and a boiled potato. This is an excellent example, even after tasting fine food she still preferred lunch meat and a boiled potato. Get my point. Both of the speakers your considering are much better than the Polk R50, but will you think so.

Jon

Maybe so...but when I eat two steaks and they claim to be 9oz filets and be the best...and I eat them at the same time...I can tell you the best one.

And maybe it is about soundstage..etc...but like i said..I will give this review...the winner is _______

ANYWAY>>>

I picked up a pair of Klipsch RB61 from BB. I will compare them to AV123's ref 0.5 monitors and my R50s...I'll play some music and movies and decide which one is better and I'll post my results. Also, I have a nice sub and will use it. So, all of my fronts are set to small.

Ps..not to be rude but your analogy sucks ass.
post #16 of 22 Old 07-08-2007, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
MRRJW let us know your results.
post #17 of 22 Old 07-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

WTF is your problem? Why dont you come down to NOLA and I'll hang you on my ceiling....then let the 50000 mexicans that moved in beat you like a pinata. maybe that will help.

and just to let your dumb ass know...if i test speaker in the same F ing room...then its an even comparison... are you saying in your house when you hook up speaker the room changes?

Still being tard I see, just get some Bose that will work for you , I am saying I position my speakers for optimal imaging, so my soundstage will be where I want it. You probaly are not grasping that concept also different speakers might need to be place differently do to say maybe off axis response. Ok internet tough guy
post #18 of 22 Old 07-09-2007, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Still being tard I see, just get some Bose that will work for you , I am saying I position my speakers for optimal imaging, so my soundstage will be where I want it. You probaly are not grasping that concept also different speakers might need to be place differently do to say maybe off axis response. Ok internet tough guy

good for you dork
post #19 of 22 Old 07-10-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:

Hmmmm, no one wants to help you? Boy, that's puzzling - who on earth wouldn't want to help a friendly, respectful little guy like you?
post #20 of 22 Old 07-10-2007, 04:48 PM

Liked: 18
another flame war at AVS forum. Another thread down the drain at AVS forum. SHHHHHOCKING
post #21 of 22 Old 07-10-2007, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I would just get some computer speakers, they sound just as good as Reference AV123s, and they usually dont have a crossover or a tweeter - less parts to break.

Plus the mini-subwoofers that often come with them are AWESOME.

Any brand will do, but try to spend at least 200-300 dollars on them. Heres some:

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp...=email,ECOSTCJ
post #22 of 22 Old 07-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
mrrjw, has been suspended.

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
Closed Thread Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version