Energy Microstar 12.1 Subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-29-2001, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would be interested in any comments regarding this subwoofer.
Thanks, Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-29-2001, 10:52 PM

I have this sub. I am not very experienced as far as subs go. But, here is my experience. My last sub was an Enerby XL-10. I was running this (the 10) with KEF speakers and it was a "match" for the system although I was disappointed with the lack of throaty lows. If I upped the db on the sub to where I liked the bass, I got this funny deep vibrating sound at times of quiet. When I upgraded my system (pre and amp) along with my speakers, the 10 couldn't keep up with my system.

I reluctantly tried the Microstar. The guy I buy audio stuff from really pushed it saying it was a super sub - better than the energy 18. I didn't want to offend him, so I took it home and figured I'd bring it back. I still have it. After breaking in this speaker has really got it going on. As I mentioned at the top of this message I really don't have a lot to compare it to (I have never heard a Velodyne 18, or a Bag End 15 for example). I can tell you though, it keeps up with the rest of my system and really puts out the bass so much so that I can feel it in my chest and can feel the floor and furnature vibrate. With some movies, like Saving Private Ryan, I cranked up the battle scenes and I couldn't detect any distortion (but then with all them bullets flying around it's hard to think stright!) The only distortion I have ever heard was in the DTS version of Dances With Wolves where Kevin discovers the buffalo at night. I think that, the only image I have to describe this, is a heart fibrillating. It is almost as if the sound is so loud and deep and needs to end quicker than the speaker can end it, and then then the next sound comes along, and while it is ending one sound, it is starting another.

Other than that one place, my whole experience with the Microstar is that it keeps up with anything else I throw at it. To give you a point of reference, my speakers are Energy Velodyne V2.3 mains, Energy Velodyne V2.0C center and (what else?) Energy Velodyne V2.0R rears. I am running this against a Parasound AVC-2500u preamp with a Parasound HCA-2205 amp. I am sitting 9.5 feet from the mains and 8.0 feet from the rears.

I have also seen some reviews of the Microstar at http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/s.../index_E.shtml which gives you more input.

Have you bought or thinking?

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Malter (edited 01-30-2001).]

Mike
post #3 of 5 Old 01-30-2001, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mike,
Thanks for the review on the microstar. I have had a Mirage BPS150i sub for about four years now and am looking to upgrade. I'm in the process of listening to various subs. Thanks again for the comments.
Craig
post #4 of 5 Old 01-30-2001, 09:58 PM

Craig,

I would be interested in what you come up with, expecially if you get to directly compare the Mircostar to say a Velodyne 18 or a Bag End 15.

Mike

Mike
post #5 of 5 Old 01-31-2001, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mike,
This is most likely going to be a slow process for me. Maybe a couple of months until I find exactly what I'm looking for. The chances of directly comparing all those subs you mentioned are pretty low. Most places don't carry all of those brands together. Would have to say that the velo hgs 12 is most likely more of an equal comparison to the microstar. The hgs 18 IMO is a better sub than the microstar 12.1 it's also more expensive and a bigger speaker(12" vs. 18"). However, I don't need that big of a sub in my family room. I have not listened to the bag end subs yet. Talk to ya later.
Craig
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page