Speakers with these charictaristics??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-08-2007, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I am in the market for some new speakers for a music first surround system...
I have owned Mirage OM6's with corresponding center and surrounds with B&W 602 s2 rears... I love the Mirage sound (BIG soundstage, nice off axis, full range towers) but with the new pre amp and player I can hear their short comings and am ready to upgrade after 7 years...

Looking for main speakers, music first to base the system around... Looking for a laid back (not forward sounding), non fatiguing, detail with a large soundstage...

I have a pair of Dynaudio Focus 220's in right now for demo but would like to know what other brands I should look for...

I dont know what my budget is... Maybe just say around 3000 for the mains.

Any suggestions??? And maybe explain the voicing/characteristics of em if you can put it into words.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-11-2007, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have any suggestions of speakers I should look at that are characteristically laid back, maybe warm with as large a soundstage as possible??? Or any of those characteristics???

ANY suggestions please would be good

Thank you
post #3 of 8 Old 07-11-2007, 10:08 AM

Since you have B&W in the rear, give their fronts a listen, their price points should be doable for you in the 600 and 700 series.

Another option is Paradigm, but this might be a little bright for you in the mids and highs, they are very strong in the lows in my opinion.

Vienna acoustic is another good brand to listen to, MK makes a nice speaker.

Lower budget consider AV 123 rockets, these were bright to me but most people strongly disagree with me here (these are made in china). Ascend also makes a nice budget speaker but they tend to be very neutral and flat.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-11-2007, 12:16 PM

Liked: 11
Sounds like Sonus Faber would fit the bill.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-11-2007, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

SF are indeed warm. However, I have heard complaints about how they do not image well outside of the speakers. Imaging for the Grand Pianos can be good between them, but if OP is looking for good off-axis.... I dunno, just what I've read. I auditioned them, sitting in the sweet spot, and they have a beautiful coloration with emotional draw. It seemed to me however, that this came at the compromise of numerous distortions and sometimes unwanted boominess. They were hooked up to a fancy Primare amp.

Another random guess, maybe some Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands? Dynaudio's are very nice, but I've only heard much more expensive ones, or at the OP's price point, only bookshelves. Good luck!

post #6 of 8 Old 07-11-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Since you like Mirage, why not try the new OMD15? If you can't find a dealer that will give you a loaner, you can order from Vanns and enjoy the 15-day in-home trial.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-11-2007, 01:15 PM

Liked: 15
You mention you have dynaudio focus at the moment, do these match or not match your preferences? You didn't say.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-11-2007, 01:20 PM

Surprise
I would say listen to some NHT Classic 4's, under budget and....
(Hey I beat John to the suggestion)
Seriously though I am VERY happy with mine. Staging is good, acurate without being sterile....99% music and placed in our living room which is open to the dining/kitchen. Far from ideal but the sound is good thoughout the area. I love to cook with some Cowboy Mouth cranking!!

Yep, I am a newbie, don't listen to me, don't do what I do, just ignore me, but I won't go away.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page