The OFFICIAL Jamo Speaker Owner's thread! - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #361 of 5780 Old 06-11-2009, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some pics for the hell of it:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 5780 Old 06-12-2009, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgersftw View Post

All right, about an hour of play time on my E680s with familiar material. Snap judgment time!

+ Neutral presentation
+ Very sensitive
+ Surprisingly detailed
+ Above average imaging
+ Bass is not wooly or boomy, even when close to the wall
+ Smooth, non-fatiguing highs

- Feel a little cheap (light enclosure, flimsy binding posts)

Conclusion: A great pair of speakers, competitive in the $600/pr category with the likes of the Primus 362, Polk Monitors, JBL, etc. Musically rewarding with enough thump to satisfy my movie taste. At $258 shipped, these are one of the best speaker deals I've ever gotten.

For music, I played the Band's "Music From Big Pink" album. The first track "Tears of Rage" starts off with an open bass note and some tom activity. These 3 seconds are a great indication of how a speaker's overall bass management will be - if they're drawn out and woolly or lightweight and limp I know I've either got placement issues or the speaker isn't up to snuff. With the E680s, I thought the passage was presented reasonably well - a little flabby, but with some weight. When Danko's vocal came in, I was impressed by how well it integrated with the lower frequencies.

I moved on to Sun Kil Moon's 2008 album "April," specifically the song "Lost Verses." Kozelek has a rich tenor that tends a touch to the nasal side. Some speakers - Polk's Monitor line, JBL's CS and Studio L series, and Aperion's bookshelves come to mind - exaggerate and exacerbate this characteristic, making the album all but unlistenable (and it's a really great album, so this can not stand). Kozelek's voice came through rich and natural, and as the song adds textures and layers, shifting from solo acoustic to full band to electric, it holds together well. I was impressed with the performance.

Last up was Neil Young's "Harvest Moon" album. "Unknown Legend" is mixed with a lot of vocal reverb, particularly on the backing singers in the chorus. Infinity's Beta line makes this passage positively huge - it feels like you're listening in a cathedral. The Jamo's can't quite match this spaciousness. The presentation was nonetheless pleasant, and I can live with the shrunken soundstage. The female singers in this song can sometimes exhibit sibilance - not so on these tweeters.

So overall, the speakers are satisfyingly musical considering both their list and sale price.

For movies, first I watched Toy Story 2. The opening scene has Buzz Lightyear flying in from unknown sectors of the Gamma Quadrant to defeat Zurg and his evil minions. This is where the Jamo's bass presentation comes up shortest. There was little to no impact, especially compared to Infinity's Primus 362 which contains two smaller 6.5" drivers and a front port, for crying out loud.

On the other hand, this material revealed just how detailed the E680s are. When Buzz lands on the planet, his jets scatter pebbles and debris in all directions. Each and every pebble had a distinct fall against the rock. Buzz's footfalls in the steel tunnel had amazing precision as the sound panned from right to left.

JCVD, the strange and wonderful Jean Claude Van-Damme meta-biopic from last year, begins with a one-take action sequence with lots of ass-kicking and explosions. Again, the impact is all but non-existant, but the presentation was dynamic and well-scaled. Dialogue remained clear, and as I run sans center that's of the utmost importance to me.

Am I happy with my purchase? Yes, yes, a thousand times less. While a tad boxier than the E8s I remember (likely owing to the lightweight, resonant cabinet) they are nonetheless capable of big dynamics without strain. At the closeout price, these are pretty much unbeatable. They don't offend in any important way and do almost everything right.

The impact you say its lacking in movies is that the impact that a good sub would fill in. Sounds awesome that they're great for music. I ordered mine this monday should be arriving on tues. Just looking at the E6 Center I got Im excited the center alone looks gorgeous
post #363 of 5780 Old 06-12-2009, 05:50 AM

I understand that, but I still expected 4 8" woofers to move more air. That said, I'll take a controlled bass presentation without maximum extension over boominess any day. My listening room is small enough and spike-prone enough that every sub I've brought in has been a nightmare. If there's a larger space for a listening room/theater when we buy a home in the next few years, I'll add one.
post #364 of 5780 Old 06-12-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Good write-up on the E680. I concur with much of what you wrote. Lightweight cabinet, speaker only weighs 30lbs while my Athena AS-F1 with a single 8" woofer weighs 40lbs and plays deeper. E680 has open detailed sound, not a lot of bass. But what is there is tight. I've got a 10" subwoofer with my setup so no complaints about the low end.

I've sampled KEF and now these Jamo's. Maybe European mfrs don't emphasize bass like their American and Canadian counterparts. Its seems Energy, Athena, JBL, Infinity and others do have deeper bass even when using smaller drivers. Detail and clarity seems to be the forte' of Jamo and KEF.

But like I said I have a subwoofer so the lack of deep bass from the E680 towers is minor.

Afro GT
post #365 of 5780 Old 06-12-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know about that.

I'm not familiar with the E680, so I can't say anything regarding to them.

But the Jamo C807, C809, C607, and even the Jamo C803 and C603 bookshelf speakers; are capable of very coherent, deep, strong bass. Surprisingly....impressively so.

In fact they often surprise a lot if guests I have over.

One thing I noticed with my Jamo speakers, is this.....

When I ran them with a Pioneer receiver, the bass was just average.

But when I switched it up and connected my seperates amps (the Butler TDB 2250 and then the Van Alstine Fet Valve 500), the bass became exceptional. Stronger, deeper, more defined, more musical and had much more bounce, energy ......pace rhythm and timing.

Of course much will always depend on one's room size/acoustics and how the bass was mixed/recorded on the recording itself. But it was a drastic and wonderful improvent. Even Cellos became so palpable....so musical......so present in the room. And deep cello is exceptional.

I Don't know much about the E680. Never heard them. But I do know that the Jamo speakers I have really thrive and perform their best with at least a 200 watt per channel amp, with a good high quality power supply and design. Feed them good, clean, quality power and they simply sing and rock.

It's not even close, when compared to the Pioneer Receiver.

Whether or not that has anything to do with the lack of strong bass, with the E680; I don't know for sure.

But the E680 are a three way design and they are a 6 ohm speaker. I suspect they need more juice to perform at their best.
post #366 of 5780 Old 06-12-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjMV3 View Post

I don't know about that.

I'm not familiar with the E680, so I can't say anything regarding to them.

But the Jamo C807, C809, C607, and even the Jamo C803 and C603 bookshelf speakers; are capable of very coherent, deep, strong bass. Surprisingly....impressively so.

In fact they often surprise a lot if guests I have over.

One thing I noticed with my Jamo speakers, is this.....

When I ran them with a Pioneer receiver, the bass was just average.

But when I switched it up and connected my seperates amps (the Butler TDB 2250 and then the Van Alstine Fet Valve 500), the bass became exceptional. Stronger, deeper, more defined, more musical and had much more bounce, energy ......pace rhythm and timing.

Of course much will always depend on one's room size/acoustics and how the bass was mixed/recorded on the recording itself. But it was a drastic and wonderful improvent. Even Cellos became so palpable....so musical......so present in the room. And deep cello is exceptional.

I Don't know much about the E680. Never heard them. But I do know that the Jamo speakers I have really thrive and perform their best with at least a 200 watt per channel amp, with a good high quality power supply and design. Feed them good, clean, quality power and they simply sing and rock.

It's not even close, when compared to the Pioneer Receiver.

Whether or not that has anything to do with the lack of strong bass, with the E680; I don't know for sure.

But the E680 are a three way design and they are a 6 ohm speaker. I suspect they need more juice to perform at their best.

Dammit Tj, now I'm going to have to go to my dad's garage and pull out my old NAD 2 channel amp to test them out. The sound is a bit strained through my Panasonic SA BX500, but impressively clean at regular listening volumes. I had the same experience with the 4-ohm nominal E800 bookshelves I owned: big amp, big sound.
post #367 of 5780 Old 06-12-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Regarding the deep bass...

I'm pretty sure its probably the lighter cabinet as the E680 is only 30lbs while the C809 is 74lbs, C807 is 62lbs and the C607 is 45lbs. Plus the specs say those other 3 speakers go down into the low 30hz range while the E680 is only at 40hz.

Better bracing, heavier cabinets and I'm sure better components and crossovers are all advantages for the C809, C807 and C607.

I bet an external amp would help tremendously with all the Jamos too. Thanks for pointing that out!

But for $129ea the E680 is quite a deal.

Afro GT
post #368 of 5780 Old 06-12-2009, 10:37 AM

That write-up was also fresh out of the box. Whether I'm imagining it or not, the bass is already improved.

EDIT - Broke out the vinyl. Very, very nice. All the bass that matters - cello, pianos and organs, kick drums, etc is well represented. Detail is astonishing, and dynamics are impressive. I officially love them. My wife and I were drinking wine and listening to a bunch of female singers last night - Neko Case, Lucinda Williams, and Norah Jones - and the Jamos really shone there. We both prefer them to the many other speakers I've had in my system. A partial list:

inherited Bose 301s
bought Jamo E800
then in the last two years:
Aperion 532LR
Infinity Primus 150
Polk RTi 6
Polk Monitor 30
Polk RTi 8
Polk RTi A1
Polk LSi7
Infinity P362 (preferred over all Polks)
Boston Acoustics CR77
JBL CS480BG
Infinity Beta 20
Infinity P152 (using as rears now, these are really great bookshelves and I prefer them to the Betas)
Jamo E680

I've had the following subs during this time:
AR 808 (I think)
Polk PSW10 (free)
Polk PSW303 (really great for a 8")
Boston HPS 10SE (disappointing, but package price)
JBL Sub CS Sub 8

I'm going subless now and am totally satisfied.

Christ I look like a crazy person. Good thing I know my way around eBay, Craigslist, etc. I just wanted to share that to show that I've heard an awful lot of what is available in this price range and the Jamo's are strong competitors for sure.
post #369 of 5780 Old 06-15-2009, 03:50 AM

I noticed the bass improved a little over the last week also. I have a 12 inch sub, so the low lows are covered, but the E680 does well alone. I can turn the HK 247 up to max and they sound great...is louder than I would ever listen to them, so works out good. Movies are so much better now with the voices, before I would strain to make out what people were saying. I put in the matrix dvd and the scene where he was shooting and the bullet casings were hitting the floor, I could hear sounds I never heard with my old speakers. My neighbor even commented on how good they sounded. For the price wwstereo is selling them they are a bargain. the S series center matches up to them perfect, same tweeter is used. Now I am getting some Jamo rear speakers, just trying to decide which ones.
post #370 of 5780 Old 06-15-2009, 04:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I was demoing the Jamo's to my brother last night who was in town for a conference. He was very impressed by the clarity of the speakers. Also thought they imaged very well and can't believe how inexpensive they are for good quality towers.

Afro GT
post #371 of 5780 Old 06-16-2009, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Opinions on both please.
post #372 of 5780 Old 06-16-2009, 07:34 AM

I am looking into in ceiling Jamo speakers and would like some to know if anyone has used them and what do they think? I have a tray ceiling in my living room and am looking to put all 5 in the ceiling minus the sub of course. I saw the installation of a pair of Polk Audio before an believe I could do it myself. My question is what Jamo's would you recommend putting in there? Thanks
post #373 of 5780 Old 06-16-2009, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluvette View Post

Opinions on both please.

Get the E680, it is clearly the better speaker. I own both models and for only $30 more per speaker its a no brainer. The E680 has deeper bass and a fuller sound due to its dual 8" woofers compared to the single 6.5" woofer in the E660.

The only reason to buy the E660 is if your significant other wants a smaller slimmer tower speaker. Its not a bad speaker at all, but the E680 is better.

Afro GT
post #374 of 5780 Old 06-17-2009, 10:15 AM

I have a Jamo 6510 subwoofer. I just purchased a Denon AVR-1910. I ran audyssey and didn't like what it came back with. I am new to this whole HT thing and would like some help with the subwoofer settings. What should I use for the settings for the level, cut-off frequency, and phase? I want to make sure I have them correct before I rerun Audyssey.
post #375 of 5780 Old 06-17-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Jamo E660 tower has been lowered to $79 ea. That's extremely cheap for a tower speaker. It would be very difficult if not impossible to find a pair of good bookshelf speakers and stands for $158.

http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/...103__0_0_0_-1/

4 towers and center channel for $450 shipped.

Afro GT
post #376 of 5780 Old 06-17-2009, 12:35 PM

question for some of you fellow Jamo guys, I have a threesome of C803 in walls in my media room and have been messing a lot with the crossover frequencies. What do you guys have a similar setup at? I have 7.1 with the K series LCRs for surround and the 803 in walls for my 2 fronts and center channel. Currently I have them all setup to 80hz with the exception of the r and L fronts, set to 60hz. I like the bass I get out of the 803s but I am curious if I am losing sound elsewhere by setting them this low. FYI I also have a sub300 jamo as well. Here is a pic of the fronts...sorry for the slanted pic You can see the Jamo sub300 down on the right, this is just after it was finished so the room is bare....

And one of the rears in the vaults on the ceiling next to my HC6500
post #377 of 5780 Old 06-17-2009, 01:57 PM

I would like to hear reccomendations from people about the best <$500 receiver to go with Jamos. I'm going for the E680s, with the s60 center. Rear/side speakers (7.1 setup) are going to be Energy C-100s.

Gotta love the deals at wwstereo!

Also looking for suggestions on a <$150 sub to go with it (probably will buy used).

Thanks!
post #378 of 5780 Old 06-17-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

HK 354, Denon 1909/1910, Marantz 4003, 5002, 6001, Onkyo 606, 607, Pioneer 1019, Yamaha 663, 665, and I'm sure there are others I missed.

No such thing as a best receiver. Base it on what features you want.

I use a six year old HK 325 with my Jamo E680s.

Afro GT
post #379 of 5780 Old 06-17-2009, 03:42 PM

+1 for the HK, I love mine, although others have had trouble with them I am loving mine. I paid over 700 about a yr ago, now they can be had for much much less

You can see mine in the above post pic.
post #380 of 5780 Old 06-17-2009, 09:57 PM

I don't know about in wall 803's, there is no cabinet so that could be very different measurements because of in wall treatments, the 803 are suppose to be fantastic. Jamo sometimes gets a bad rap but they make a very wide range of speakers and some very good ones at that (award winning) but us Americans don't know much about them, I think now that Klipsch owns them you will see more, lets hope they (Klipsch) don't cut them down to crap. I have the C 607's running on a Onkyo 805, I pulled out a old McIntosh 2100 amp and tried it with the Jamos, I had to clean the controls but once I did.....they sounded fantastic with that old amp (solidstate). I have some old tube amps but they don't have the power to push the C607's.
post #381 of 5780 Old 06-17-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Jamo E660 tower has been lowered to $79 ea. That's extremely cheap for a tower speaker. It would be very difficult if not impossible to find a pair of good bookshelf speakers and stands for $158.

4 towers and center channel for $450 shipped.

I just got my E680s but havent had time to actually hook them up. Eventually Im going to need some surrounds and was wondering if I should go with E640s for $150 (already got speaker stands for these) or get the E660 for $160. I hear the surrounds should be higher then the fronts at least 5 feet up. If thats true I would have to get something to raise the E660. So my question is it true they should be higher or would they sound fine being shorter in the back.
post #382 of 5780 Old 06-18-2009, 12:20 AM

Should be higher than ear level, always thought it was a waste to use towers as surrounds, I don't use Jamo's as surrounds....flame on.....I have Phase Tech Teatro's surrounds (very good), and will be using Mirage Nanostats Omnipolar as the back two on a 7.2, A Phase Tech HV 1000 and a Klipsch KSW 12 as subs with a Sharp DT-510 projector as a HT, all setup except for the nanostats.
post #383 of 5780 Old 06-18-2009, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the C803 Bookshelf speakers, not the in-wall versions.

And they are outstanding! What a great bookshelf!

They really pump out some deep, coherent, musical bass and they are very smooth and musical through out all frequencies.
post #384 of 5780 Old 06-18-2009, 06:50 AM

Wow, if the E660s had been priced that low when I pulled the trigger on the 680s I may have gone with them and a better sub. Oh well, loving my new speakers. Played some old Deutsche Gramaphon classical records last night and they did pretty great, certainly better than anything priced similarly.

For the receiver, I'd add that the Panasonic digital receivers are a perfect fit for this type of speaker - sensitive, not too low impedance, and warm in disposition.
post #385 of 5780 Old 06-18-2009, 02:16 PM

I currently have the following in my 7.1 HT:
Receiver - Pioneer SC-05
Fronts - Jamo C803's
Center - Jamo C80 Cen
Surrounds - Jamo C80 Sur
Sub - Velodyne DLS-5000R

I am thinking of upgrading my fronts to Jamo's discontinued C809's for about $1500.

2 questions:
1) Would my receiver be capable of driving all my speakers if I upgrade to C809's?
2) Do you think it would be worth upgrading my fronts? I.e. - would I hear $1500 worth of upgrade moving from the C803's to C809's.

Thanks for your time and input.

Cheers.
post #386 of 5780 Old 06-18-2009, 05:03 PM

post #387 of 5780 Old 06-20-2009, 02:37 PM

Well, I decided to take the "plunge"...and bought a pair of the discontinued C809's from Amazon. I am buying them unheard/unseen, but am confident due to the quality of the other speakers in the series...and the general impression from others in this thread.

I feel fortunate to have found them at Amazon as they don't seem to be available elsewhere.

I will post my impression once I get the chance to break them in and listen.
post #388 of 5780 Old 06-23-2009, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

E660 package gets even better. 4 towers and center channel for $380 shipped!

Afro GT
post #389 of 5780 Old 06-23-2009, 01:37 PM

Where can I find information about my Jamo speakers?
They are about 10 years old. I have the manual, but they are old and cannot read most of it

fronts: Jamo Concert 11
center: Jamo Concert Center
surround: Jamo Concert Surround

Here are some pictures:
Concert 11: Concert 11
Concert Center: Center
I can't find a perfect photo of my surrounds, but it looks similar to this: http://im2.shopmania.org/files/produ...ur~1405467.jpg

I thought these were all THX certified, thats also what I want to figure out. It doesn't say in the manual. And I wonder how much these are worth nowadays.
post #390 of 5780 Old 06-23-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.jamo.com/na-en/products/discontinued/

Your concert 11 sure looks a lot like the D870.
http://www.jamo.com/na-en/products/d-870-description/

And your concert center alot like the D8 center.
http://www.jamo.com/na-en/products/d-8cen-description/

As far as their value? Who knows?

Perhaps these are your surrounds?
http://www.jamo.com/na-en/products/d-8sur-description/

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Jamo , Jamo Closed Subwoofer , Jamo S 426 Floorstanding Speaker , Jamo Sub 800 Subwoofer , Jamo S 506 Hcs 3 Home Theater System , Jamo S 606 Hcs 3 Home Theater System , Jamo A 804 Lcr Speaker , Jamo 7 W Center Speaker Black , Jamo D 500 Sur Lcr Speaker , Jamo S 426 Hcs 3 Wenge 5 Piece Home Theater System Wenge

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page