The OFFICIAL Jamo Speaker Owner's thread! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #451 of 5705 Old 07-23-2009, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks a lot. At least I know the opinion of someone actually heard them both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilly019 View Post

The TSI300 is equivalent to the Monitor 50, so the Monitor 60 should sound even better. If you like the sound of the Polks I say go for them. Audio is very subjective and while I like Jamo more, who knows if you will as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5705 Old 07-23-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameran View Post

Thanks a lot. At least I know the opinion of someone actually heard them both.

No problem. I should be getting my E680's tomorrow, so I can post my initial impressions this weekend.
post #453 of 5705 Old 07-23-2009, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:

This was my line of thinking exactly. Just out of curiousity, what were the differences between the S 60 and the E660?

As far as having room for it, right now I probably don't, but once I get home I'll see if I can't come up with some kind of solution.

Also, just noticed there was an E6CEN.5 up on eBay. It's dark apple while my E680's are black (didn't want to wait two weeks). Only 80 watts though...

I just did a quick test before I went to work. I didn't flip back and forth between the two centers nor did I recalibrate my system with the E660 as a center. I was doing you a quick favor and wasn't going to go thru all that. Sorry.

My center is on a shelf above the TV angled downward and the E660 was on the floor.

They both sound good, just get whichever one suits your needs.

Why get a center in dark apple if your other speakers are black? I'd forget about that item. And dont worry about power handling, when you're running 5 speakers at the same time the receiver isn't putting out close to 80 watts/channel.

There is this item in black on ebay. E 5CEN.5 The price is cheap at this moment. But I tried looking it up on the Jamo site but its not listed there, not even in discontinued products. Don't know if it has the same tweeter as the E660/E680 so can't be sure if its voice matched. It probably should be since its an E series product.
http://cgi.ebay.com/JAMO-Center-Chan...3A1%7C294%3A50

Afro GT
post #454 of 5705 Old 07-23-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I just did a quick test before I went to work. I didn't flip back and forth between the two centers nor did I recalibrate my system with the E660 as a center. I was doing you a quick favor and wasn't going to go thru all that. Sorry.

My center is on a shelf above the TV angled downward and the E660 was on the floor.

They both sound good, just get whichever one suits your needs.

I wasn't expecting you to recalibrate your system, thanks for your input. I'll see what works best once I get home.
post #455 of 5705 Old 07-23-2009, 10:27 PM

Liked: 11
I see the deals for the e680s and it seems too good. so I wonder how well these speakers perform. what class of speakers in other brands, such as energies, etc. do the jamos measure up? Are they comparable to the rc line, the c's? Anyone have a direct comparison on performance? I would love to have some floorstanders for just 129 with a midrange, tweeter, and two woofers, but am I missing something, why is the cost what it is? It seems too good.
post #456 of 5705 Old 07-24-2009, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojita View Post

Does anyone have a 10% off code for wwstereo that they think they will never use? I live in Pennsylvania so I will have to pay sales tax

Thank you!

To reply to my last post. The way to get a 10% off coupon from wwstereo is by buying something from them and then filling this very small survey out reviewing your purchase at pricegrabber. The guys at wwstereo usually e-mail you a coupon within a day or two.

https://www.pricegrabber.com/rating_...hp?retid=12065

If anyone is feeling generous and doesn't believe they will use their coupon in the future, I would really appreciate having a 10% coupon since I have to pay that dreaded PA Tax.

Thank you!
post #457 of 5705 Old 07-24-2009, 01:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvos View Post

I see the deals for the e680s and it seems too good. so I wonder how well these speakers perform. what class of speakers in other brands, such as energies, etc. do the jamos measure up? Are they comparable to the rc line, the c's? Anyone have a direct comparison on performance? I would love to have some floorstanders for just 129 with a midrange, tweeter, and two woofers, but am I missing something, why is the cost what it is? It seems too good.

You're not missing anything. Discontiued models purchased in large volumes. Hence the great pricing. Energy C-500s were actually discounted pretty heavily last fall by the same vendor. Klipsch owns Energy and Jamo as well as Mirage and Athena. Most likely just clearing out old inventory. Jamo does't have a huge presence in the US but is very popular in Europe and other overseas locations.

Different sound than Energy C-series. More open and detailed vs a laid back and flat sounding speaker. Go back several pages and you'll see some comparisons. I know I posted some. This model wouldn't be a direct competitor to the RC line considering MSRP is only $300. The higher up Jamo speakers would be though.

Jamo has a website if you're concerned about the quality of their products.
http://www.jamo.com/na-en/

Several professional reviews of their product lines.
http://search.ecoustics.com/Editoria...Jamo-Speakers/

Afro GT
post #458 of 5705 Old 07-24-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:

No problem. I should be getting my E680's tomorrow, so I can post my initial impressions this weekend.[IMG]http://*****************/image.php[/IMG]

I'd like to see what you think, planning on biting any moment now
post #459 of 5705 Old 07-24-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbieman View Post

I'd like to see what you think, planning on biting any moment now

The UPS guy just dropped them off at my house. I'm getting ready to set them up now. I'll have pictures and first impressions later.

Warning: They will be cell phone pics.
post #460 of 5705 Old 07-24-2009, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Cell phone pics suck! Get a real camera!

Here's a picture of the E680 and E660 before I moved them to different rooms.
LL

Afro GT
post #461 of 5705 Old 07-24-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Cell phone pics suck! Get a real camera!

Here's a picture of the E680 and E660 before I moved them to different rooms.

Yes, I know. Unfortunately my g/f has my camera and is away for the weekend.
post #462 of 5705 Old 07-24-2009, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I get home to purchase the speakers even without the 10% off coupon available. My firefox had kept my tab open so I just refreshed it. The E680 Speaker set is SOLD OUT. **** that takes away my dream setup I was planning.

Oh and I tried to send an e-mail to see if they might be able to get anymore stock and the guy it was sent to won't be back until August 3rd, 2009
post #463 of 5705 Old 07-24-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Holy crap you're right! Only E660s on the website now!
http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/...103__0_0_0_-1/

Great price on the 4 E660s with S 60 center for $380.

Emily is usually the online sales person. Talk with her on Monday.

Afro GT
post #464 of 5705 Old 07-30-2009, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojita View Post

I get home to purchase the speakers even without the 10% off coupon available. My firefox had kept my tab open so I just refreshed it. The E680 Speaker set is SOLD OUT. **** that takes away my dream setup I was planning.

Oh and I tried to send an e-mail to see if they might be able to get anymore stock and the guy it was sent to won't be back until August 3rd, 2009

So they will have more in stock august 3rd? thats ok by me thats when i get paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsantos
How can you tell a point is a reflection point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper
sit in normal spot
have friend slide mirror on wall
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #465 of 5705 Old 07-30-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think he said the salesman that he emailed wont be back in the office until August 3. He didn't have a status on the E680.

The easiest way to clear things up is to make a phone call, which I just did. Man I swear the use of the phone has diminished with the popularity of the internet. Many times an actual human voice is the best way to answer your questions.

Spoke with Emily at wwstereo and the E680's are all sold out in black. They had purchased all the remaining stock and now they are gone. They can however get the E680 in Dark Apple as a special order. It takes two weeks to get them and the price is $129 each. You can see a picture here.

They do have the smaller E660 in stock which you can find on their website for $69. They can also special order the E660 and S60 center in dark apple for the same prices you see online.

I hope this clears things up. Sad to see the E680s in black are all gone, I love mine.

Call wwstereo @ 866.961.7781

Afro GT
post #466 of 5705 Old 07-31-2009, 12:43 AM

Liked: 13
I have a Sony AV Receiver with satelitte speakers.
Specs:
Ohms - 6 to 16, Frequency - 28 to 20000
135W / channel (6 Ohms 1% THD @ 1Khz)
90W / channel (6 Ohms 0.7% THD @ 1Khz)

I was considering to replace the existing speakers with Jamo S606 5.0.
Just wanted to know whether it worth replaciing with existing receiver? Will it improve listening drastically?
post #467 of 5705 Old 07-31-2009, 01:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well since we don't know which brand satellite speakers you have its hard to say.

But Jamo makes a quality speaker so my guess is they will sound better than your current satellites. Tower speakers generally sound much better than little satellites. If your satellites came in a home theater package with the Sony receiver, then the Jamos are certainly better.

You may want to upgrade your Sony receiver one day too.

Do you also have a subwoofer?

Afro GT
post #468 of 5705 Old 07-31-2009, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

THere was a really nice center channel on e-bay the other day, did anyone here win that?

IMO it looks like alot better matched center channel then the others ive seen offered with the 660 and 680s. The speakers in it look like what the 660 and 680 use. Even the midrange/woofer looked like they were made of the same type of stuff the woofers use.

I was gona bid on it but forgot.

What model center channel is this?
LL
LL

Quote:
Quote:
sit in normal spot
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #469 of 5705 Old 07-31-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post

THere was a really nice center channel on e-bay the other day, did anyone here win that?

IMO it looks like alot better matched center channel then the others ive seen offered with the 660 and 680s. The speakers in it look like what the 660 and 680 use. Even the midrange/woofer looked like they were made of the same type of stuff the woofers use.

I was gona bid on it but forgot.

What model center channel is this?

That's the E 5CEN.5 if I'm not mistaken. It's the center for the E660/E680's. I considered bidding on it, but decided not to for a couple of reasons. One, my E680's are black and I didn't want to mix colors. And two, I asked the seller a question on the first day the auction was posted and never received an answer.

Also, I won an auction for a 5.0 system for $125 that includes the S 50CEN, which is the European version of the S 60CEN. From everything I've read the S 50/60 matches up extremely well.
post #470 of 5705 Old 07-31-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's the E 5CEN.5 if I'm not mistaken. It's the center for the E660/E680's. I considered bidding on it, but decided not to for a couple of reasons. One, my E680's are black and I didn't want to mix colors. And two, I asked the seller a question on the first day the auction was posted and never received an answer.

Also, I won an auction for a 5.0 system for $125 that includes the S 50CEN, which is the European version of the S 60CEN. From everything I've read the S 50/60 matches up extremely well.

wow $125. is a steal, $200. shipping though right?

I looked up the 5CEN and it looks a little under powered.

WHat is the difference between the 40cen and the 50cen? the 50CEN has more bullet holes in it?

Quote:
Quote:
sit in normal spot
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #471 of 5705 Old 07-31-2009, 10:20 AM

Alright, I've slacked off long enough in giving my review of my E680's. Sadly, all I have is cell phone pictures for now. My girlfriend returned from her trip and informed me that the screen no longer works, so I'll try borrowing one this weekend.

Right now, they have around 30 hours on them. I spent the first 10 playing music with them at a fairly low volume in order to break them in. I listened to them for about an hour and they sounded great. Even on low volume, they still produced decent bass and the highs sounded quite detailed.

After the first ten hours, I started watching some movies, but still at lower volume than I would have preferred. First, let me just say that I now have a new love of watching movies. Even in a stereo set-up, the sound is so much more immersive than my old HTiB. The first thing I did was pop in Master and Commander and watched both the opening battle and the Cape Horn scenes. The bass in these scenes was unbelievable for not having a sub, especially the opening battle. I also watched The Dark Knight and I had to resist the urge to crank the volume, it sounded great.

Once I got to about 20 hours I started setting the volume a little higher. I watched teh first episode of Band of Brothers and while it isn't an overly loud episode, I appreciated what the Jamo's were able to do for quieter scenes. I was able to pick up a lot of subtle details I hadn't heard before. For example, in the tunnel scene in I, Robot, when Will Smith is crawling out of the car, there is a female voice that says something about the sealtbelt or the airbag (can't remember which now) that I hadn't heard before (and I'm pretty familiar with the film).

I also watch The Island. The movie had a lot of bass (it is Michael Bay after all), which the Jamo's produced well. One proplem I noticed is that during certain scenes in the movie (and in Shoot 'em Up as well) is that voices would get lost in the action. I attribute this to not having a center and I'll rewatch this movies once I get the S 50CEN hooked up.

Overall, I love the sound of the Jamo's and cannot stress auditioning before you buy. I'll try to get a real camera and post some pictures. I have a pair of S 506 floorstanders that were part of the auction with the S 50CEN, so I'll be able to compare the them to the E680's once I get them set-up and broken in. Any questions, feel free to ask.
post #472 of 5705 Old 07-31-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post

wow $125. is a steal, $200. shipping though right?

I looked up the 5CEN and it looks a little under powered.

WHat is the difference between the 40cen and the 50cen? the 50CEN has more bullet holes in it?

It was $75 plus $50 for shipping. So $125 delivered, I made out like a bandit.

That was another thing that held me back, the 5CEN did seem underpowered.

I looked up the specs for the S 40CEN and the woofers are an inch smaller and the tweeter is only 3/4" compared to the S 50/60's 1" tweeter. It also has 40 watts less than the S 50/60.
post #473 of 5705 Old 07-31-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Jwilly,

When you get to the Band of Brothers episode 7 "The Breaking Point" you'll really appreciate the dynamics of your system. That's a great episode.

Lets us know when you get the S506 towers broken in. I'd love to see a comparison with the E680.

Afro GT
post #474 of 5705 Old 07-31-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:

Jwilly,

When you get to the Band of Brothers episode 7 "The Breaking Point" you'll really appreciate the dynamics of your system. That's a great episode.

Lets us know when you get the S506 towers broken in. I'd love to see a comparison with the E680.

Hmm, I've already seen the series, so maybe I'll skip to that episode and check it out.

The S506's are scheduled to be delivered Monday, so maybe by the end of the week I'll be able to compare the them.
post #475 of 5705 Old 07-31-2009, 07:33 PM

Hey guys, I have a few questions for you as I am definitely not an expert when it comes to choosing settings for my speakers.

I just recently hooked up a set of 2 front E660s that I got from wwstereo for a great price, and I also nabbed the S60CEN from ebay for $109 shipped, and when it arrived I realized that it's not part of the E660 set. I know the 660s were originally paired up with the E6Cen.5 Do you think my center (S60CEN) should match the E660s well?

My 2nd question is this.. What crossover frequency should I set my two front and center speakers at? Is there a general rule to use such as doubling the lowest frequency?

My 3rd question is this.. My surrounds are set at 120 Hz, if I lower the setting will it sound quieter or louder?

Thanks for the help!
post #476 of 5705 Old 08-01-2009, 01:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The S60 center matches fine with the E660. I currently use the same center with my E680 speakers. I've never seen the E6Cen.5 anywhere. Yes, it would be the correct match but if its not available, then go with something else. wwstereo bought the remaining stock of E660s and E680s, so I guess there were no E6Cen.5 around to go with it.

E680s are all gone now except for dark apple which they have to special order.

I would set the E660 to 80hz. But also try 60hz to see which you like better.

Since you've got all this equipment in your home, experiment with it. You're not going to hurt anything buy changing the crossover point. Try different frequencies and whatever sounds best to you is the right answer! Same goes for your surrounds.

Afro GT
post #477 of 5705 Old 08-01-2009, 02:13 AM

Its to bad they discontinued the E series it was a very nice and economical set of speakers. I have access to the other series if interrested give me a shout.
post #478 of 5705 Old 08-01-2009, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfondell View Post

Its to bad they discontinued the E series it was a very nice and economical set of speakers. I have access to the other series if interrested give me a shout.

What other series are you talking about?
post #479 of 5705 Old 08-01-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:

Jwilly,

I just finished watching the episode and you are correct, what a great episode for showing off the dynamics of the speaker.
post #480 of 5705 Old 08-01-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:

What other series are you talking about?

Yeah I would like to know also, you know a dealer?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jamo , Jamo Closed Subwoofer , Jamo S 426 Floorstanding Speaker , Jamo Sub 800 Subwoofer , Jamo S 506 Hcs 3 Home Theater System , Jamo S 606 Hcs 3 Home Theater System , Jamo A 804 Lcr Speaker , Jamo 7 W Center Speaker Black , Jamo D 500 Sur Lcr Speaker , Jamo S 426 Hcs 3 Wenge 5 Piece Home Theater System Wenge

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page