The OFFICIAL Jamo Speaker Owner's thread! - Page 180 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5371 of 5672 Old 04-09-2012, 11:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 383
So you like C603 better than the RC-10? Or did I read that wrong?

How does the build quality compare?

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5372 of 5672 Old 04-10-2012, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgminder View Post

Got my C603s today and got rid of the dog food : ). They sound fantastic. I'm running them through the gamut of music I listen too and they are very musical. They are nicely detailed, rich, and have an organic sound to them. Vocals in particular have a lot of texture to them. It's definitely a different sound in a good way from the RC-10s which I think sound amazing.

I am glad you like them JG.I to find the c603's to be full,rich and detailed.if you have it play dark side of the moon through them you will love it.so you think they are a better speaker then the energy rc10's or just different in there own way.I almost went with a rc70,lcr,rc10 set up when I found Jamo about two years ago.reading the energy thread you always read how warm the rc line is but I think Jamo's 6xx concert line can hold there own against them.
post #5373 of 5672 Old 04-10-2012, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersonic View Post

I am glad you like them JG.I to find the c603's to be full,rich and detailed.if you have it play dark side of the moon through them you will love it.so you think they are a better speaker then the energy rc10's or just different in there own way.I almost went with a rc70,lcr,rc10 set up when I found Jamo about two years ago.reading the energy thread you always read how warm the rc line is but I think Jamo's 6xx concert line can hold there own against them.

Interesting to see the comparisons between the RC-10's and Jamo's coming up. I have the RC-10's and the C403's and I prefer the C403's for music. The way I would describe it is that the C403's are more dynamic and provide more life to the music. The RC-10's seem to be quite flat and less musical in comparison.

I have been looking for a pair of C603's or 803's to upgrade the 403's, but havent been able to justify the $$ yet. The dog food pair would have been worth it, but i missed out on the end of the auction
post #5374 of 5672 Old 04-10-2012, 05:13 AM

Liked: 10
How do the 606 compare to the 603/803??
post #5375 of 5672 Old 04-10-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

So you like C603 better than the RC-10? Or did I read that wrong?

How does the build quality compare?

I wouldn't say I like the C603 better. It's too early to tell. I was just listing first impressions. Build quality on the RC-10s is way ahead. The veneer and gold posts are just awesome on the RC-10s. The highs are more detailed on the RC-10s and the clarity is better in my opinion. The biggest difference is the imaging and soundstage. When watching Adele's Royal Albert Hall Blu-ray, the RC-10 had a wide deep sound stage and fantastic imaging. The Jamos are a different sound. As I said before, they are very organic and musical. I can't think of the word other than there is a weight to vocals that isn't there with the RC-10s, a little grit is present. They are very smooth and detailed as well. Based on an A/B with the Adele Blu-Ray I think the RC-10s win based on the imaging, build, and sound stage if I had to pick now, but the Jamos are fantastic and I think I need to listen to them longer before making up my mind. They are just a fun and entertaining listen and definitely a high quality speaker especially for the $112 I paid for them. More to come ...
post #5376 of 5672 Old 04-10-2012, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

I wouldn't say I like the C603 better. It's too early to tell. I was just listing first impressions. Build quality on the RC-10s is way ahead. The veneer and gold posts are just awesome on the RC-10s. The highs are more detailed on the RC-10s and the clarity is better in my opinion. The biggest difference is the imaging and soundstage. When watching Adele's Royal Albert Hall Blu-ray, the RC-10 had a wide deep sound stage and fantastic imaging. The Jamos are a different sound. As I said before, they are very organic and musical. I can't think of the word other than there is a weight to vocals that isn't there with the RC-10s, a little grit is present. They are very smooth and detailed as well. Based on an A/B with the Adele Blu-Ray I think the RC-10s win based on the imaging, build, and sound stage if I had to pick now, but the Jamos are fantastic and I think I need to listen to them longer before making up my mind. They are just a fun and entertaining listen and definitely a high quality speaker especially for the $112 I paid for them. More to come ...

Well if you decide you like your RC-10's better and want to sell your 603's for the price you bought them for, you have a buyer right here!
post #5377 of 5672 Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysteven View Post

How do the 606 compare to the 603/803??

From what I've read the Concert series (C600/C800) line of speakers is a step up from the S606. I haven't heard the S606's though so I can't comment on how they sound compared to the C line. Can anyone else chime in?
post #5378 of 5672 Old 04-12-2012, 03:06 AM

Quote:

From what I've read the Concert series (C600/C800) line of speakers is a step up from the S606. I haven't heard the S606's though so I can't comment on how they sound compared to the C line. Can anyone else chime in?

So the c603 small speakers sound better than s606 towers??
post #5379 of 5672 Old 04-12-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

So the c603 small speakers sound better than s606 towers??

Apples to oranges comparison. two different functions.
post #5380 of 5672 Old 04-17-2012, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

Apples to oranges comparison. two different functions.

All depends on the listener,i wouldnt say they have different functions,just different sizes imo. A 5.1 set of say B&Ws 685 as a stereo pair or theatre set would sound up there with any set in its class wether floorstand or standmount.Esp as most of us set our fronts to small,so in theory the sub is controlling the bass.In practice the s606 might sound bassy compared to the c603 but they both serve a similar purpose imo.Just depends on wether us as listeners like a more bassy sound as per s606,but i'd take the c603 with a decent sub & its just my preference.I think the s606 vs say the c803 would be a more apples to oranges comparison,as i reckon the comparison in speakers lies in what class they are,but some like a smooth musical sound,some like a coloured loud sound but they serve very similuar duties in their particular classes.

"Do your best & don't worry" 

post #5381 of 5672 Old 04-17-2012, 01:35 PM

hi guys,

i have bought these Jamo S 606 HCS 3.

Want to know the review, i will let you guys know..

To be frank, they are giving jarring sound when i increase the volume.

Technicians say that its common.. and you will get that jarring sound in any brand.

Please help me out here..

Will any brand speakers and woofer give jarring sound when on max Volume...

THe amp i bought is denon and the output of amp is 75 W and the speakers output is 130 W. so even with output of 75 W, the jamo speakers are giving me the jarring sound..

Please help me out and give me suggestions..

thanks....
post #5382 of 5672 Old 04-17-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri View Post

Will any brand speakers and woofer give jarring sound when on max Volume...

THe amp i bought is denon and the output of amp is 75 W and the speakers output is 130 W. so even with output of 75 W, the jamo speakers are giving me the jarring sound..

Please help me out and give me suggestions..

User error. Not speaker problem.

Just about any amp/receiver will distort when turned up to max (assuming average input voltage). You should NEVER crank it up to max. That is a quick way to destroy your speakers. You're basically feeding your speakers dirty signal since the amp can't produce clean power at max level.

If you need them to sound louder, then you should buy a more powerful amp, but again, NEVER turn it up to max. As soon as you hear distortion, this means you've turned the volume up too high and you need to back off a little. This point on the volume scale could be at 90% volume, or maybe 75% or maybe as little as 50%. It all depends on how strong your input source is and the source material. The amp's manufacturer gives you this extra "room" on the volume scale to compensate for very weak input source (low voltage), but in 99.9% of cases your input will be strong enough so that you should never need to move the volume to MAX before reaching the amp's rated power level. Once you go past the rated power level (75W in your case), the amp starts introducing distortion that will eventually fry your speakers.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #5383 of 5672 Old 04-17-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The one thing I noticed with C603 is that they have a very narrow tweeter dispersion pattern. This means they sound great when you're listening to them on axis (speakers facing you directly), but the moment you move off axis a bit, they lose a lot of detail and sound muffled. This of course happens to all speakers to some extent (basic laws of physics) but it seems more pronounced on the C603. I haven't noticed it with the C607 as much, even though they use the same tweeters, but maybe it is due to a different, more upclose listening environment that I have the C607s in.

I recently replaced the C603s with DefTech AW6500 speakers which appear to have wider dispersion. AW6500 also have higher sensitivity so they sound louder at the same power levels. Again, not necessarily a bad thing. Just something to consider, I guess.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #5384 of 5672 Old 04-17-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post

User error. Not speaker problem.

Just about any amp/receiver will distort when turned up to max (assuming average input voltage).

If you need them to sound louder, then you should buy a more powerful amp, but again, NEVER turn it up to max. Once you go past the rated power level (75W in your case), the amp starts introducing distortion that will eventually fry your speakers.

I understand..

But, when the AMP is giving out only 75W, they why is the 130 W speaker unable to take it..
Now about keeping the Max Volume, the AMP is giving out only 75 W. but the speakers are capable of 130 W. it has to take the 75 W input right..

I also have a SONY Home Theater, the Bluray model.

Now, when i am keeping sound in JAMO till where its clear, then the comparision between SONY sound and Jamo sound is same..

Why do i have to pay 4 times higher price then sony to listen the same SONY Volume level in JAMO..

and please let me know this.
AMP out put is 75 W
Speaker output is 130 W

Now when amp is giving the 75 W output and the speakers are unable to take it.. its still Speaker problem ?

and, if i have to keep it in 75 % volume, then the sound is low as a normal Sony Home theater..

Please help me out on whats wrong...

and thanks for the reply..
post #5385 of 5672 Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 AM

Liked: 12
Let's Get one thing straight, I had to interject here...actually your Denon isn't even putting out all 75 watts per channel so don't use that baseline...its all false advertising more or less...I have an Onkyo 3007 145 wpc...in a 5.1 set up at full volume I'm not getting more than 35-40w per channel on average. Yep. Believe it. Its all numbers. By driving the Denon to max, you are putting a lot of strain on the receiver. I can't account for the sony and your reasoning because its your ears at the end of the day. But +1 on copping an external amp. I plan on getting one despite the advertised wattage on my receiver. Plus you are asking the Denon to reproduce a strong signal to all 5 speakers. A lot to ask on a 75wpc system.
post #5386 of 5672 Old 04-18-2012, 12:56 AM

so i should not expect sound? ?

few mins back, jamo technician came and he said that woofer got problem.

now he says that i have to keep in low volume to enjoy correct output. now that low volume is very low.. people can hear each other talkibg when music is playing in disired volume of jamo guy..

why do i have to pay so much if i have to listen music in low sound? ?
post #5387 of 5672 Old 04-18-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand..

Based on what you wrote below, I don't think you do.

Quote:

But, when the AMP is giving out only 75W, they why is the 130 W speaker unable to take it..

It does not matter how many watts the amp is putting out if it's distorted. Distorted/dirty output (regardless how many watts) will cause audible distortion in the speakers and may damage them. Even if you had a 20W amp and cranked it to max you would be hearing distortion because you're asking this amp to deliver more than it is capable of.

Your Jamo speakers are capable of accepting up to 130 W of power, but the assumption is that it is CLEAN. What you're feeding it at the MAX is not clean. That's why it sounds like crap.

Quote:

Now about keeping the Max Volume, the AMP is giving out only 75 W. but the speakers are capable of 130 W. it has to take the 75 W input right..

I don't know how else to explain what I already did previously. Your amp may be outputting 75W cleanly, but it is not at Max Volume. It is somewhere below Max Volume. If you push it past that point, it will actually try to deliver more than 75W, but it will all be distorted, and that's what you're hearing.

Quote:

I also have a SONY Home Theater, the Bluray model.

Now, when i am keeping sound in JAMO till where its clear, then the comparision between SONY sound and Jamo sound is same..

Are you using the same Denon receiver to power the Sony speakers?

Quote:

Why do i have to pay 4 times higher price then sony to listen the same SONY Volume level in JAMO..

Why did you assume that Jamo speakers will sound louder? That is not why someone buys more expensive speakers. More expensive speakers give you more clarity/sound stage. If you just wanted it to be louder, you should have bought a more powerful amp.

Quote:

and please let me know this.
AMP out put is 75 W
Speaker output is 130 W

Speakers don't output any watts. Speakers handle the watts that the amp is outputting and convert them to sound waves. But if the signal is distorted/clipped, all bets are off.

Quote:

Now when amp is giving the 75 W output and the speakers are unable to take it.. its still Speaker problem ?

For the millionth time, it is not a speaker problem. It is your amp. You need a more powerful amp/receiver if you want it to sound loud AND clean.

post #5388 of 5672 Old 04-18-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

few mins back, jamo technician came and he said that woofer got problem.

You may have already damaged your speakers by having your amp set to MAX.

Quote:

now that low volume is very low.. people can hear each other talkibg when music is playing in disired volume of jamo guy..

why do i have to pay so much if i have to listen music in low sound? ?

How big is the room? Which specific Denon receiver do you have? How many speakers are you driving with it at the same time? Has the receiver been properly configured? Is the speaker wiring correct (not out of phase)?

post #5389 of 5672 Old 04-18-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Based on what you wrote below, I don't think you do.

It does not matter what the amp is putting out if it's distorted. Distorted/dirty output (regardless how many watts) will cause audible distortion in the speakers and may damage them. Even if you had a 20W amp and cranked it to max you would be hearing distortion because you're asking this amp to deliver more than it is capable of.

Your Jamo speakers are capable of accepting up to 130 W of power, but the assumption is that it is CLEAN. What you're feeding it at the MAX is not clean. That's why it sounds like crap.

I don't know how else to explain what I already did previously. Your amp may be outputting 75W cleanly, but it is not at Max Volume. It is somewhere below Max Volume. If you push it past that point, it will actually try to deliver more than 75W, but it will all be distorted, and that's what you're hearing.

Are you using the same Denon receiver to power the Sony speakers?

Why did you assume that Jamo speakers will sound louder? That is not why someone buys more expensive speakers. More expensive speakers give you more clarity/sound stage. If you just wanted it to be louder, you should have bought a more powerful amp.

Speakers don't output any watts. Speakers handle the watts that the amp is outputting. But if the signal is distorted/clipped, all bets are off.

For the millionth time, it is not a speaker problem. It is your amp. You need a more powerful one if you want it to sound loud AND clean.

Would using a Yamaha a710 on s606 be enough power for clean and clear output??
post #5390 of 5672 Old 04-18-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It depends on the size of your room and how loud you like to listen. In most cases I'd say yes.

post #5391 of 5672 Old 04-18-2012, 07:13 AM

okaie.. understood that.. thanks...
post #5392 of 5672 Old 04-18-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By the way, I just looked at its spec. It is rated at 90W per channel but only in stereo mode. It would not be able to drive all 7 channels simultaneously at that power output considering it only has a 400W power supply. But again, for movie watching, this may not be relevant. You rarely ever have scenes in a movie with soundtrack blasting full volume to all 7 channels on a continuous basis.

For most typical small to mid size rooms, it should be sufficient. If you have a large dedicated theater room, then you'd probably want some dedicated high power amps. Then again, you'd probably not be using S606 in such a room to begin with anyway.

post #5393 of 5672 Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

atluri,

How big is your room?
Do you have a subwoofer connected?
Did you run the room calibration software? In this case Audyssey?
Which Denon model do you have?

Afro GT
post #5394 of 5672 Old 04-18-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You may have already damaged your speakers by having your amp set to MAX.

Just to expand on that. Theoretically an amp that delivers 75 Watts of clean power (sine wave) is capable of delivering 150 Watts of dirt (square wave) when pushed to MAX. Now, whether that would cause speaker damage would likely depend on how long you had it playing at that level...

Here's more reading on the subject of too little power, clipping, distortion, and potential speaker damage:
http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

post #5395 of 5672 Old 04-18-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:

By the way, I just looked at its spec. It is rated at 90W per channel but only in stereo mode. It would not be able to drive all 7 channels simultaneously at that power output considering it only has a 400W power supply. But again, for movie watching, this may not be relevant. You rarely ever have scenes in a movie with soundtrack blasting full volume to all 7 channels on a continuous basis.

For most typical small to mid size rooms, it should be sufficient. If you have a large dedicated theater room, then you'd probably want some dedicated high power amps. Then again, you'd probably not be using S606 in such a room to begin with anyway.

What about for music with the five speakers playing??
post #5396 of 5672 Old 04-18-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What about for music with the five speakers playing??

Once again, it depends on the size of the room and how loud you like to listen. Will the speakers be set to "large"? Or will they be set to "small" due to using a powered sub? Having them set to "small" should be somewhat less demanding on the receiver.

Example: I've got an HK receiver in a large open basement that delivers 120 Watts per channel @ 8 Ohm, and when we have a party and like to play it loud, it does not get loud enough for my liking before it starts distorting. But in a smaller room with a more up-close listening setup, it would have been more than enough...

Speaker sensitivity is also important. The S606 has sensitivity of 89 dB - not bad, but not particularly efficient either. This means that it will require more power to sound as loud as another speaker with 91-92 dB sensitivity.

The S602 rears and the S60CEN have sensitivity of 87 dB. This means you will have to increase channel gain on the receiver for these to make them sound as loud as the S606 fronts.

post #5397 of 5672 Old 04-19-2012, 09:22 AM

Im looking to bump up to a 7.1 System since im moving to a dedicated Basement Home Theatre.

I have a HK 354
Fronts: S 506's
BookShelfs: S 502's
Center: S 500
Premier Acoustic 120 Sub

So i really want to upgrade to a 7.2(Eventually), but in th emean tiem a 7.1.

Now im very leary of mixing and matching these jamos with other speaker Brands. I had gotten some intresting advice. I was told i should probably take those bookshelfs and make them the back speakers.

So im now in flux between getting Back surrounds or rear surrounds going forward.

Now I saw these new Surrounds from jamo on Vanns: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

These would be awesome as surrounds I thought, and would fit perfectly in a budget scenario since my main focus is a new receiver.

Just wondering if These are Decent Surrounds to add to my setup, and would any of these 3 receivers be able to run this 7.1(ventually 7.2) setup. Also if anyone has any expirience in what sounds better with Jamos.

HK 354
Onkyo 709 or 609
Yamah RX671

The room their going in is 17'1 X 15'3 With opening to stairs and laudry room
post #5398 of 5672 Old 04-19-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

All of those receivers can do 7.1 or 7.2, I don't really see a reason to go from your HK 354 to either one of the other receivers unless you want to for the networking features.

Even though your HK 354 has only one sub output, you can get a Y adapter to connect two subs. The Onkyo and Yamaha receivers basically have an internal Y adapter to drive two subs.
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-To-Go-V...4853325&sr=8-8

Afro GT
post #5399 of 5672 Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 AM

Nice, I ddin't know that.

Well My HK is not working right now for some odd reason with the HDMI ports. Im going to buy new HDMI Cables and try and see if it's really a HDMi issue this weekend. If it's a small fix i woud hope to maybe fix those HDMI Ports will cost less than say Buying an Onkyo or Yamaha.

Any input on those Jamo Surrounds?
post #5400 of 5672 Old 04-19-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm sure the Jamo surrounds would work fine with your setup. They are made for that purpose. They should be placed on the sides of the listening area while your S50 speakers should move to the surround back position.

There is a firmware update for your HK receiver which should help improve the HDMI functionality as well as other fixes. You should check to see if your receiver has this update.
http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Pr...px?PID=AVR+354

Click on the Product Updates link on the left side of the page.

Afro GT
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jamo , Jamo Closed Subwoofer , Jamo S 426 Floorstanding Speaker , Jamo Sub 800 Subwoofer , Jamo S 506 Hcs 3 Home Theater System , Jamo S 606 Hcs 3 Home Theater System , Jamo A 804 Lcr Speaker , Jamo 7 W Center Speaker Black , Jamo D 500 Sur Lcr Speaker , Jamo S 426 Hcs 3 Wenge 5 Piece Home Theater System Wenge

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page