post #631 of 5705 Old 09-09-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzfan View Post

I'm going 7.1. Is it recommendable to have Jamo towers all the way around for the back rears?

It's recommended, but not absolutely critical.

With that said, why do you insist on 7.1 when everyone is advising you that a better sub will make a much greater improvement in your HT experience? There is really quite a bit of difference between your Yamaha sub and the $400 subs that were recommended here. Just curious of your thought process, that's all...

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 5705 Old 09-09-2009, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post

It's recommended, but not absolutely critical.

With that said, why do you insist on 7.1 when everyone is advising you that a better sub will make a much greater improvement in your HT experience? There is really quite a bit of difference between your Yamaha sub and the $400 subs that were recommended here. Just curious of your thought process, that's all...

What are the main differences between those 2 subs?
post #633 of 5705 Old 09-09-2009, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzjnvb View Post

Thanks Pete ..

How far from the wall does Jamo recommend for your C607's ???

Same as the C807 - 18 inches.

Quote:

You said they sound good and are only 6 inch away ... I am wondering if I would get lucky with the C807's that close.

Please don't take my example as gospel. Most likely the reason I don't have bass boominess issues in my current setup is because the overall area is huge (10 000 cubic feet). I actually have bass deficiency, if anything. By placing the speakers closer to the wall, it feels like I got some more pronounced bass, but I could still use more.

Quote:

Have you had a chance to hear the C803's ??? I have a pair of C603's currently connected and they sound good but I am wanting more punch and clarity ... that is why I was leaning towards the 8 series.

I haven't, but I believe TjMV3 has. Have you read through all his responses in this thread? I believe he commented on the differences. He's got C603, C803, C607, C807 in his collection, if I'm not mistaken.

Also check out his responses in this thread (user name: NMyTree):
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/512039.html

But personally, I don't think you'll get any more "punch" out of the C803 compared to the C603. The reason you don't get any punch out of them is because they're bookshelf speakers and their bass drowns in larger rooms such as yours. Hence, something like a C607/C807/C809 is more likely to give you that "punch" that you're missing.

And as for clarity, I also own a pair of C603s and I don't think they are lacking in clarity. Just the opposite, in fact. They are extremely detailed. Once again, your room acoustics influence how speakers sound - without proper room treatments, sometimes the clarity can suffer.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

post #634 of 5705 Old 09-09-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzjnvb View Post

I forgot to add that the price difference between the 807 and 809 is only 350.00 so the price isn't really an issue. I am not an audio guy like you guys are and I get confused reading some of these posts ... I just want to have a great sounding system that fits my needs and is easy to operate.

I do have a space issue in the room and getting the speakers 18 inches off the wall is going to be a problem ... So since the 807 has less bass would that sound less boomy if I would need to place it closer to the wall say 6-8 inches???

Also you indicated that an additional amp would be better .... Can you tell me how that works?? Are you saying to have one amp drive the two front speakers and my current Onkyo drive the center and surounds???

The C809 and C807 are almost the same depth and width. There's a little less than an inch of difference in depth and width. The big difference is in height. With the C809 having 6 more inches.

In a room like yours, both of these speakers are going to crank out some big bass, as long as the material your playing (be it CD, DVD, Blu-Ray) has big bass in it's recording.

Make no mistake, the C807 cranks some impressive, low bass for movies, sound effects and for music. They are not weak in the bass area. And neither is it boomy, wooly bass; unless that's the kind of bass that's on the recording. If the recording by the artist was recorded with a lot of loose...boomy bass. The C807 and C809 (and no speaker on the planet) will NOT turn that into tight bass.

The C809 is capable of deeper and bigger bass. And in some small rooms, they could over-power the room. But I don't think that applies to your room.

The biggest thing here will be placement. I know what Jamo suggests and I do use that as my guideline. But some people's rooms won't permit it and some rooms are simply different.

Fiddling with speaker placement (distance between speakers, toe-in, no toe-in, only a miniscule amount of toe-in and so forth) makes a huge difference.

Fiddling with distance from backwall and sidewalls, will also make some nice improvements. If you want to get the best from these two Jamo speakers, you have to pull them between at least 12 to 15 inches off the back wall.

Every one of our rooms are different. All of our rooms have different demensions, acoustics and angles. So the results may vary. Experiment.

Another significant point to remember. If at all possible in your own individual rooms and setups......Always make sure that the front baffle of your front speakers are placed ahead of any furniture or TV that may reside between them. Even if by only a quarter inch or half inch (because of limited space)

And/or any furniture that may be placed to their immediate outside left and right sides.

Or else you will get immediate reflections off of your TV, gear cabinet or whatever piece of furniture resides there; which will screw up the sound presentation before the sound waves even make it to your ears.

As for the sidewalls, you can manage by placing them one and a half feet from the side wall and toe them in a little bit more. Or makes sure there's a bookshelf filled with books or a big, thick curtain along those sidewalls, just a few feet ahead of the speakers.

Either one of those speakers (the C807 or C809) will serve you well. And both are good speakers to have, should you ever move into a home with a larger room for your system. The C809 simply sound like bigger speakers. They sound big. I know that seems like an over-simplification, but it's true.

By no means is that an indication of the C807 sounding small. They don't. They project in a big way. They really fill the room.

Both are special speakers. But if you want my opinion. If I were in your position and with your room; I'd go with the C807 and make sure my Receiver/power amps have high quality design and can deliver the goods to drive them. The Jamo's really love quality power supplies. Doesn't have to be a "Gazillion Watts". Just high quality power.
post #635 of 5705 Old 09-09-2009, 07:17 PM

Thanks Pete and TJMV3 for your help.

I will take your advice and go with the C807's ...

You indicate that they like good clean power .... I own a Onkyo TX-sr806 receiver now ... It is 130w. Is this what you would consider good clean power or if not, Please point me in direction of a good 800.00 unit to match these speakers. I will also be running a C80cen center channel and at some point I will add rear surrounds.

I also forgot to tell you that within the next two years I hope to set up a dedicated tv/movie watching room in my basement and I will have plenty of space to create a good AV room. This should also be taken into consideration when I purchase the speakers.
post #636 of 5705 Old 09-14-2009, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjMV3 View Post

When you say not enough bass for music. Do you mean not enough depth in the frequency range or that the bass doesn't dominate ....stand out ...is bigger amongst the other frequencies?

I just played some low-end frequency test tones on the C607s and monitored sound levels with the RatShack SPL meter. Basically, the sound level tanks by more than 10 dB below 50 Hz. Again, probably not the issue with the speakers themselves, but rather the room acoustics and just the sheer size of the area. As much as I was trying to avoid it (for music), it looks like I will have to get a sub in order to hear any sort of meaningful bass down there...

On the other hand, it makes you wonder at what sound level drop (in dB) the 32 Hz rating from Jamo is given for this speaker.

post #637 of 5705 Old 09-15-2009, 01:34 AM

Liked: 13
Any reviews on S608?
post #638 of 5705 Old 09-15-2009, 05:04 AM

I'm the happy owner of a set of Jamo THX One speakers and 2 of the wall mounting clips just broke
Anyone ever had that kind of issue? Are Jamo nice enough to provide new ones?

I don't really come from outer space
post #639 of 5705 Old 09-15-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just played some low-end frequency test tones on the C607s and monitored sound levels with the RatShack SPL meter. Basically, the sound level tanks by more than 10 dB below 50 Hz. Again, probably not the issue with the speakers themselves, but rather the room acoustics and just the sheer size of the area. As much as I was trying to avoid it (for music), it looks like I will have to get a sub in order to hear any sort of meaningful bass down there...

On the other hand, it makes you wonder at what sound level drop (in dB) the 32 Hz rating from Jamo is given for this speaker.

I have to believe it's your cavernous, enormous warehouse....you call a room (just poking a little fun at your basement).

I ran a test tone on my C607 about a year ago and they pumped it well to 35 hz and then there was a bit of a drop-off below that. Wish I could remember exactly what the db was.

I do know that I watched several DVD movies (Batman Dark Knight, Spiderman 2, Finding Nemo, The Day The Earth Stood Still.....many more) through my Vincent Two Channel preamp and I couldn't believe the low frequencies pumping out of those speakers.

I really have to buy my own SPL (as opposed to co0ntinuing to borrow one, lol) to see what they're pumping out in those movies. I have no idea if my DVD player cuts off the low frequencies at a certain level. But I do know (as do several of my friends); that the C607 sure was cranking some unbelievable low frequencies.
post #640 of 5705 Old 09-15-2009, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Get your own SPL meter!
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92282

Afro GT
post #641 of 5705 Old 09-15-2009, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I ran a test tone on my C607 about a year ago and they pumped it well to 35 hz and then there was a bit of a drop-off below that. Wish I could remember exactly what the db was.

What are the dimensions of your listening space/room, just curious?

post #642 of 5705 Old 09-15-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What are the dimensions of your listening space/room, just curious?

If I remember correctly that was a 22' x 15' ...I think. Something like that.

We moved into a new house and I have the new dimensions rattling around my head. I'll have to see if I can recall, accurately.
post #643 of 5705 Old 09-15-2009, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

The ball and chain says it was smaller than that. She said it was just a hair under 16' x 13'. She said I'm confusing the dimensions of that room, with what was my main HT/2 Channel room.

And she said that room wasn't 22' x 15'...either.

18' x 13' was the main HT/2 channel room.

At least one of us remembers this stuff, lol
post #644 of 5705 Old 09-18-2009, 05:41 PM

hey everyone,

one quick question about the e660 and s60cen package from wwstereo.com. i noticed that this comes with the S60cen rather than the E6CEN.5 which is the one that matches the E660s according to Jamo's website.

Does anyone have any experience with the E6CEN.5? I know that AfroGT has mentioned that the S60 blends in well with his E680s and E660s, so I am pretty confident with that, just wanted to check and see about the E6. The E6 is a little less shorter in depth, which would help with my set-up where I am limited in that regard, but will it also add to the sound quality? I believe I can get that and 4 E660s for about the same price as the wwstereo package, or should I stick with the wwstereo package?

Thanks!
post #645 of 5705 Old 09-18-2009, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My guess is that the E6Cen.5 was no longer available when wwstereo bought the remaining stock of discontinued E660 and E680 speakers, or at least not in the volume they needed. The Studio 60 center is actually a higher product line than the E6Cen.5 and and cost as much as two E660's! It is part of the current S series line and is not a discontinued product.

The S60 center has much better power handling numbers than the ECEN.5. with 80w/130w vs 50w/70w (short term/long term) unless the numbers are incorrect.

You can get the ECEN.5 here. I'm guessing the BL at the end means black.
http://appliancebestbuys.com/index.a...odID=81217#top

Afro GT
post #646 of 5705 Old 09-18-2009, 06:21 PM

yeah, that's the one I found too. I guess I am not sure what all the numbers mean with power handling and such, so it is hard for me to compare.

So basically, if I don't mind the extra 2 inches, am I better off getting the S60 due to its better quality, better series, better components, etc... even though it is not from the same product line?

Thanks again, you are a ton of help AfroGT!
post #647 of 5705 Old 09-19-2009, 06:13 AM

Also, it would end up being the same price really. So should I get the better speaker rather than getting the matching line? (although I assume it matches quite well since AfroGT has given it such reviews and wwstereo has packaged them together).

Would the extra power from the center be beneficial since I will have 4 towers around the room? I don't want the center to overpower, but I also don't want it to be overpowered. I'm a bad judge of speaker quality and such i guess!
post #648 of 5705 Old 09-19-2009, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There's a guy on a Blu Ray website not here on AVS that has the S60 with S506 towers and E680 towers. He said the S60 timbre matches both speakers.

Unless you plan to leave your grilles off to show matching speakers, I'd go with the S60 center.

Afro GT
post #649 of 5705 Old 09-19-2009, 01:24 PM

Liked: 13
I think I am going to get the set from WWS as well. Never have had a surround system. Have a Denon 1910 on the way once stock gets refilled from 6ave, so I am looking for a "budget" set for a room that is 23 x 15. Also live in apartment so hopefully it isn't too loud for that. Ha

Thanks to everyone for the informative information in this thread, greatly helps a noob like me out. :-)
post #650 of 5705 Old 09-19-2009, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Its only too loud if you turn up the volume too high and the neighbors complain!

Afro GT
post #651 of 5705 Old 09-19-2009, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

links to pictures of E680, S506 and S60 center and how well they mate with each other.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....highlight=jamo

Afro GT
post #652 of 5705 Old 09-19-2009, 06:27 PM

thanks for including that link AfroGT. It was very nice to see the pics and the reviews of others with various set-ups. I'm still torn on this. I can kindof fit the s60cen on the stand. but not sure how much space I need to consider for the plugs and wire if any (as a reminder, i'll be putting the center on my tv stand right in front of the tv). whereas, the e6cen.5 would give me a little extra space to allow it to look a little less cramped, which would make my girlfriend happier. however, if i am paying the same amount and getting a worse center, im not sure how much i want to worry about space. i like the look of the e6cen better since it will be going on the stand and matches the e660s in design, but i also want to make sure that the sound isn't too weak from the center. ahhh, decisions...
post #653 of 5705 Old 09-19-2009, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, according to my E660/E680 owners manual, the E6CEN.5 actually handles 80 watts long term/110 watts short term instead of the 50/70 on the Jamo website. That makes more sense considering what the rest of the E6 series handles.

So if the E6CEN.5 works best for you, go ahead and get it.

Both the E6CEN.5 and S60 center use 4" woofers and 1" DTT tweeter. The bigger cabinet will give the S60 a little lower frequency response.

Afro GT
post #654 of 5705 Old 09-20-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

There's a guy on a Blu Ray website not here on AVS that has the S60 with S506 towers and E680 towers. He said the S60 timbre matches both speakers.

Unless you plan to leave your grilles off to show matching speakers, I'd go with the S60 center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

links to pictures of E680, S506 and S60 center and how well they mate with each other.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....highlight=jamo

Those pictures look really familiar.
post #655 of 5705 Old 09-20-2009, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW guys, my Jamo C807 are on audiogon for sale.
post #656 of 5705 Old 09-20-2009, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW guys, my Jamo C807 are on audiogon for sale.

Why? What happened? Fell out of love with Jamo?

post #657 of 5705 Old 09-20-2009, 08:52 PM

He wants black C807's, his are the dark apple finish. Hey Tj want to trade for some black C607's, LOL.
post #658 of 5705 Old 09-21-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why? What happened? Fell out of love with Jamo?

No, not at all. Just need them in the black finish because of the decor. Love these speakers!!!
post #659 of 5705 Old 09-21-2009, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustdust View Post

He wants black C807's, his are the dark apple finish. Hey Tj want to trade for some black C607's, LOL.

I'll tell you what. What else do you have with the C607? Do you have a pair of C603 in black?

If so, I would consider your pair of C607 and a pair of C603; for my pair of C807 in Dark Apple. Let me know.
post #660 of 5705 Old 09-22-2009, 10:05 AM

Hello Jamo owners! after having recieved info from afrogt I believe i am going to be pulling the trigger on a pair of c603's and a c60 center for my home theater room. my room is 11.5'X18' (first row of seating is 12' from front). I'm mounting the 603's in the top corner of the room (each side of 100" screen). Is there any other way to mount these so I can better direct sound down and toward center of room? Whats your alls thoughts on the sound of these speakers cant find many reviews online? Are these speakers enough for that size room (pioneer vsx-1019 reciever powering)? Thanks you all and thanks Afogt.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jamo , Jamo Closed Subwoofer , Jamo S 426 Floorstanding Speaker , Jamo Sub 800 Subwoofer , Jamo S 506 Hcs 3 Home Theater System , Jamo S 606 Hcs 3 Home Theater System , Jamo A 804 Lcr Speaker , Jamo 7 W Center Speaker Black , Jamo D 500 Sur Lcr Speaker , Jamo S 426 Hcs 3 Wenge 5 Piece Home Theater System Wenge

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page