Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Got my Descent i. So far NOT impressed.

Do these subs make a buzzing sound, audible within 2 or 3 ft of the unit when no music is playing? Is there a fan inside? All I did is connect an XLR cable and plug it in... sounds like a quiet refrigerator when I put my ear up to it.

That's very odd and not normal. I've used a descent I and depthi a lot and never have either one done that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 827 Old 10-11-2013, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Got my Descent i. So far NOT impressed.

Do these subs make a buzzing sound, audible within 2 or 3 ft of the unit when no music is playing? Is there a fan inside? All I did is connect an XLR cable and plug it in... sounds like a quiet refrigerator when I put my ear up to it.

Does it still buzz with the XLR cable detached? What about at a different location in the room?
post #453 of 827 Old 10-11-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Yes, there's no change when the cable is unplugged. The entire room is on the same circuit and I can't move it right now.

It is not your usual 60Hz hum though. More like the rushing sound of an amp when the gain is cranked, except it does not change regardless of the Level setting. With ear on cabinet sounds like a small fan inside, but this noise is coming from the woofers too.

Secondly when I play low bass notes there is a chuffing sound coming from the top control panel, like air escaping. When I play high notes there is a mechanical buzz/rattle from the same location.

Other than that it sounds great!

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #454 of 827 Old 10-13-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
It is not your usual 60Hz hum though. More like the rushing sound of an amp when the gain is cranked, except it does not change regardless of the Level setting. With ear on cabinet sounds like a small fan inside, but this noise is coming from the woofers too.

Secondly when I play low bass notes there is a chuffing sound coming from the top control panel, like air escaping. When I play high notes there is a mechanical buzz/rattle from the same location.

Other than that it sounds great!

Sounds like it's damaged / broken to me. Contact customer service - something rattling inside a speaker doesn't sound good.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #455 of 827 Old 10-15-2013, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any info on how good the martin Logan electro motion IC,Ceiling speakers are? I bought for Polk 900 LS's and not exactly impressed with them thanks!
post #456 of 827 Old 10-15-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan7077 View Post

Does anyone have any info on how good the martin Logan electro motion IC,Ceiling speakers are? I bought for Polk 900 LS's and not exactly impressed with them thanks!

I'd like to know this too, would love to squirrel a pair away for a day when overhead surrounds are a reality.
post #457 of 827 Old 10-16-2013, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post

I'd like to know this too, would love to squirrel a pair away for a day when overhead surrounds are a reality.

Depends on what you are comparing them to. Any in-wall/in-ceiling speaker is a conglomeration of sacrifices in sound quality. In my experience, until you get to the Stealth Series (which is a lot more expensive) you will struggle to get to Motion 4 quality. That being said, I do think the ML in-wall/in-ceilings are better than everything I've heard from def tech, polk audio, Sonance, SpeakerCraft, and other B&M brands. The top tier B&W's are OK, but they of course have high price tags like the stealth series.

Just my $0.02
post #458 of 827 Old 10-16-2013, 07:26 PM

Thanks. But the martin Logan vanquish look like a monster of ceiling speaker with a monster price lol would love to have them thanks
post #459 of 827 Old 10-16-2013, 09:57 PM

I'm considering the Vanquish and the Axis for IW's for my next HT setup. Finally got a chance to audition them at a local reserve dealer and they look and sound terrific, albeit, large. Work fantastic with ESL lines and above.

I just am committed wholeheartedly to theatre with no intermission.
post #460 of 827 Old 10-16-2013, 10:07 PM

...and speaking of my next HT setup, need a bit of advice.

I have a 5.1 system comprised of a mixed bag of speakers that I'd like to make all ML:
FL/FR: Maritn Logan Vantage
Center: Stage
Sub: Depth-i
SR/SL: Paradigm Surround 3's

Not to mention the extra Motif centre which was replaced by my Stage.

I have an opportunity to buy another Motif for $800 BNIB from my AV dealer and make a 5.1 system with all ML's but I'm also considering aesthetics and expandability. Motif's aren't exactly discrete on wall. At this price, I can stick to a spectacular 5.1 and risk not being able to go to a future 7.1 because they're phasing out the Motif's for Motif-X, or skip out this deal, sell my Motif for $725 and go the In-wall route with the Axis or Edge.

I'll get to the point, if you had this option, which way would you go and why?

Option A) Buy the Motif and stick with 5.1 using Motif for surround or....
Option B) Sell exiting Motif for $725 and go in-walls.confused.gif

I value your opinions.

post #461 of 827 Old 10-17-2013, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmagoo190 View Post

...and speaking of my next HT setup, need a bit of advice.

I have a 5.1 system comprised of a mixed bag of speakers that I'd like to make all ML:
FL/FR: Maritn Logan Stage
Center: Stage
Sub: Depth-i
SR/SL: Paradigm Surround 3's

Not to mention the extra Motif centre which was replaced by my Stage.

I have an opportunity to buy another Motif for $800 BNIB from my AV dealer and make a 5.1 system with all ML's but I'm also considering aesthetics and expandability. Motif's aren't exactly discrete on wall. At this price, I can stick to a spectacular 5.1 and risk not being able to go to a future 7.1 because they're phasing out the Motif's for Motif-X, or skip out this deal, sell my Motif for $725 and go the In-wall route with the Axis or Edge.

I'll get to the point, if you had this option, which way would you go and why?

Option A) Buy the Motif and stick with 5.1 using Motif for surround or....
Option B) Sell exiting Motif for $725 and go in-walls.confused.gif

I value your opinions.

Personally, if you can get past the aesthetics of keeping the motif's on-wall, I wouldn't go in-wall. In-wall speakers are far more expensive for the quality and are much less flexible with placement options and you lose the ability to angle and point your speakers where you want. I haven't heard the paradigm surround 3's so I can't comment on those in particular.
post #462 of 827 Old 10-17-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
Personally, if you can get past the aesthetics of keeping the motif's on-wall, I wouldn't go in-wall. In-wall speakers are far more expensive for the quality and are much less flexible with placement options and you lose the ability to angle and point your speakers where you want. I haven't heard the paradigm surround 3's so I can't comment on those in particular.

+1 . Unless you have reason you need inwalls, I prefer more traditional speakers for all the reasons mentioned above.

I re-ran Audyssey on my Denon 4520 last night, both so I could install a 2nd subwoofer, and also because my Martin Logan's really did break in over the last 4 months. They sound better now than when first installed - and friends coming over to watch movies have said to same. smile.gif

I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
post #463 of 827 Old 10-17-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post

I agree with your comment about placement flexibility though ML's new line of in-walls are quite impressive. But this leads to me question the advantages of a 7.1 vs. 5.1 because I will clearly be limited to a 5.1 by going with Motif's. I'd like to build a 7.1, just don't know why. Am I being a bit sheepish? I'm running my system with a Marantz AV7005.

post #464 of 827 Old 10-17-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

+1 . Unless you have reason you need inwalls, I prefer more traditional speakers for all the reasons mentioned above.

I re-ran Audyssey on my Denon 4520 last night, both so I could install a 2nd subwoofer, and also because my Martin Logan's really did break in over the last 4 months. They sound better now than when first installed - and friends coming over to watch movies have said to same. smile.gif

Just to clarify, I'm running a pair of Vantages up front, not Stage. It was an error on my part with the original post. I've also been considering a second Depth-i but can't rationalize the purchase at this time. It's on my wish list. Glad you got your system all tuned in. Looks like you're running their Motion Series throughout? How do you like them thus far?

post #465 of 827 Old 10-17-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Looks like you're running their Motion Series throughout? How do you like them thus far?

So far I love them. They are the perfect fit in my theater. I love the ribbon tweeter - they really are good speakers. My 4520 + a 2 channel Emotiva XPA 200 amp drive them cleanly to beyond sane volume levels ( when my wife is gone ). I'm looking forward to watching more episodes of The Pacific tonight - 11.2 speakers makes for some great WWII battle soundtrack !! smile.gif

post #466 of 827 Old 10-17-2013, 09:41 PM

Folks, I must say, I'm much more pleased with this ML thread than all of MLO (Martin Logan Owners). This site elicits much more response. Good stuff. Oh yeah, decided to sell the Motif, got a good buyer and I like what I hear form the new Edge IW's.

post #467 of 827 Old 10-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I try not to post too much over at MLO. Too many are into the voodoo side of audio such as one thread a guy complained about cymbals sounding wrong on his new ESL's and a lot of replies told him to buy speaker wire and interconnects that cost as much or more than the speakers... They're also much more into 2 channel than HT so the HT threads tend to get ignored. They also tend to ignore the folks who own the conventional cone ML's. So they're a good source of info if you're into 2 channel ESL's.

On a side note I hope I can snag a Stage before they're sold out... I need to upgrade from my Encore TF.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #468 of 827 Old 10-17-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmagoo190 View Post

Folks, I must say, I'm much more pleased with this ML thread than all of MLO (Martin Logan Owners). This site elicits much more response. Good stuff. Oh yeah, decided to sell the Motif, got a good buyer and I like what I hear form the new Edge IW's.

Good for you, I'm sure you'll be happy, and it will look much better. They're just surrounds, I bet they will sound great.
post #469 of 827 Old 10-18-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I try not to post too much over at MLO. Too many are into the voodoo side of audio such as one thread a guy complained about cymbals sounding wrong on his new ESL's and a lot of replies told him to buy speaker wire and interconnects that cost as much or more than the speakers... They're also much more into 2 channel than HT so the HT threads tend to get ignored. They also tend to ignore the folks who own the conventional cone ML's

That's a shame really. Martin Logan makes excellent non electrostatic speakers. After re-running Audyssey my Motion speakers are really sounding superb. I can turn up the volume higher than when the speakers were new, and the sound is less fatiguing. Or, said another way, I can play movies louder without them sounding louder - which is good considering my wife doesn't like it loud. With good non fatiguing speakers, I can fool her into thinking it isn't that loud....................tongue.gifwink.gif

post #470 of 827 Old 10-18-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post

I try not to post too much over at MLO. Too many are into the voodoo side of audio such as one thread a guy complained about cymbals sounding wrong on his new ESL's and a lot of replies told him to buy speaker wire and interconnects that cost as much or more than the speakers... They're also much more into 2 channel than HT so the HT threads tend to get ignored. They also tend to ignore the folks who own the conventional cone ML's. So they're a good source of info if you're into 2 channel ESL's.

On a side note I hope I can snag a Stage before they're sold out... I need to upgrade from my Encore TF.

What do you mean snag one? Are they deeply discounted?
post #471 of 827 Old 10-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

Yeah they're half off to clearance them out since the Stage X replaced them.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #472 of 827 Old 10-18-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:

That's a shame really. Martin Logan makes excellent non electrostatic speakers. After re-running Audyssey my Motion speakers are really sounding superb. I can turn up the volume higher than when the speakers were new, and the sound is less fatiguing. Or, said another way, I can play movies louder without them sounding louder - which is good considering my wife doesn't like it loud. With good non fatiguing speakers, I can fool her into thinking it isn't that loud....................tongue.gifwink.gif

I agree with you Craig. I have Motion 40's for fronts and Motion 8 for center.. Their sound is amazing. Both music and movies. I just got two SVS SB13 Ultras and still working to get everything integrated soundwise..
post #473 of 827 Old 10-18-2013, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:

... I re-ran Audyssey on my Denon 4520 last night, both so I could install a 2nd subwoofer ...
Assume you matched another SVS cylinder Craig, but what did you get and how does it sound? And where are your sub placements? Congrats on the upgrade. 🍺👍

Every once in a while, completely inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #474 of 827 Old 10-18-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

Yesssir. Got mine for $1500 BNIB.

Motif's are also on clearance for $1000 - $1199 and Depth/Descent I's are 30% off.

post #475 of 827 Old 10-18-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post

I've almost given up on MLO. They seem a bit pretentious and a lot of that "voodoo" stuff you mentioned. After several posts requesting feedback and insight, I didn't get much. Don't even bother asking anyone about amps and, especially not Emotiva. Either way, you folks are a better bunch.

Also, don't know where you are but if you're in WA state, feel free to PM me and I can get you the name/number of a great sales guys that's been able to get me most anything I'm looking for at the right price. Including the Stage.

post #476 of 827 Old 10-20-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't forget us at AV Science if you are shopping for Martin Logan speakers. smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

... I re-ran Audyssey on my Denon 4520 last night, both so I could install a 2nd subwoofer ..
Assume you matched another SVS cylinder Craig, but what did you get and how does it sound? And where are your sub placements? Congrats on the upgrade.

Actually I'm trying out a " David and Goliath " sub pair. I have a new SB1000 paired with my 20-39 PCI cylinder. It's working quite well. I didn't have room for a second cylinder anyway. And the cylinder I have was really doing a fine job in my room all by itself. The SB1000 is on the opposite side of the room, and so far, seems to add that little extra " oomph ".

With the Martin Logan's re-calibrated with the 2nd sub, I'm ready to enjoy movies with cool soundtracks for the coming winter !! smile.gif

post #477 of 827 Old 10-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Hi, could anyone tell me how the motion 10's stack up to the motion 20,s, I heard the 20's at best buy and really liked them, but I can get the 10's at a closeout price, thanks
post #478 of 827 Old 10-23-2013, 08:46 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer View Post

Hi, could anyone tell me how the motion 10's stack up to the motion 20,s, I heard the 20's at best buy and really liked them, but I can get the 10's at a closeout price, thanks

I've hear the 20 and 40....the 20's don't give up much to the 40's imo. Haven't heard the 10's but I've seem them new on ebay at about $150 each...can't go wrong.
post #479 of 827 Old 10-24-2013, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

IIRC weren't the 10's di-pole? Not that it's a bad thing, just something to keep in mind when considering placement.
post #480 of 827 Old 10-24-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I think it was only the Motion 12s that were di-pole. The main difference between the 10s and the 20s is paper cones vs. aluminum cones. I like the aluminum cones a bit better, but not hundreds of dollars better.

It was the same choice when I went with a close-out Motion C instead of a Motion 30 for my center.

David
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor 50 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page