Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #541 of 926 Old 01-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have 1 pair of golden ear aons 3's and 1 golden ear super center X, that I would trade for a martin logan motion soundbar.if interested pm me, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 926 Old 01-03-2014, 12:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am looking for ML slim XLx3. Possible trade in, swap for Encorex3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #543 of 926 Old 01-15-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Question for the forum: I was watching Don Jon last night and during a club scene I heard my right rear motion 15 distort during the low bass moments. I switched the left and right and the same thing happened. I have the Crossover set at 80Hz for the rears and they are supposed to be rated to 60Hz. I changed the crossover on the Pre-pro (Marantz 8801) to 100Hz and it did not distort. I don't want to have my crossover set at 100Hz while my center is 80Hz and fronts are full range. Do you think it is something wrong with the woofers on the speakers? Any other ideas? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I have never heard distortion from my LX16, but I'm using mine for wide channel speakers. Are you using the speaker for surrounds ( you say right rear )? Are you running a subwoofer? I have never heard any of my surround speakers distort even at ear splitting beyond reference level volumes ( ML or otherwise ). After running Audyssey, and setting crossovers at 80 or 100Hz on the surrounds ( why are you running fronts full range if you do have a sub ? - should probably be set at 60Hz ) I've never gotten the surround channels loud enough to distort. My wife would distort my head at those volume levels.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #544 of 926 Old 01-18-2014, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Anybody selling the em c2 center channel.? I need one asap..please text me 305 934 0434
post #545 of 926 Old 01-18-2014, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have.. I had gloss black RX8's and they were very nice.. The ML's are just better in every way. With the dipole sound it lights up the whole wall and the sounds you get from music is insane.. You can almost pin point every instrument in space. The sound stage is wide and deep. The RX8's are great tho,but I went with ML Electromotion ESL's. They are awesome for home theater also. I'm using ML motion 4's for height speakers also. It adds another dimension to the sound for movies,but not music. I also have a XS30 to fill the bottom end.. Sounds absolutely brilliant..
post #546 of 926 Old 01-18-2014, 04:52 PM

Liked: 26
Does anyone on here have a depth i or decent i? I'm curious how it sounds..
post #547 of 926 Old 01-19-2014, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecamaross View Post

Anybody selling the em c2 center channel.? I need one asap..please text me 305 934 0434

I see you have a 305 area code. Check with Sound Advice. They have two stores. One in Lauderdale and one in Boca. Easy to deal with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post

I have dual Depth i's and they sound great. Having said that, I would love to get a hold of a couple of the new BalancedForce subs from ML.

Audio Advisor is running great deals on the Depth and Decent i's as they are being closed out.

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #548 of 926 Old 01-19-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltalkm View Post

Audio Advisor is running great deals on the Depth and Decent i's as they are being closed out.

Awesome deal! At those prices it should be a no-brainer.

I recently got a Descent i and I'm very happy with it. It replaced a mighty Mirage BPS-400. I think it is on par with the Paradigm Sub-1 at less than half the price.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #549 of 926 Old 01-19-2014, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi, folks. Question from a ML newbie. I have the opportunity to purchase a set of ML Quest stats for about 1k USD. They are from 1991, so they are pretty old. I will most likely have to upgrade my amp as it may stress my current AVR. What do y'all think about this? Good deal or am I about to go down the rabbit hole?

MacBook Pro 15" w/Retina display | Apple TV | Oppo BDP-105D | Parasound New Classic 2125 | Martin Logan Theos | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV |
post #550 of 926 Old 01-19-2014, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
You're probably going down the rabbit hole. Those are old enough that they might need new panels and that's expensive. I'm not sure on particular cost on that model but I wouldn't be surprised if they cost $1500 or more. The older ML panels only last about 20 years from what I gather so it's kind of a crapshoot. You can give the panels a bath (look it up on MartinLogan Owners forum) or make your own replacement panels. IMO you'd be better off buying a newer model which won't be as hard on your current AVR.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #551 of 926 Old 01-19-2014, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
guys, the panel does not work on one of my electromotion esl's.. why? the woofer works, but i have tried switching power supplies, tried changing speaker posts on the amp, new speaker cable, etc and i cant get the panel to sound loud like the woofer..i have to get my ear really close to it in order for me to hear just a little bit of high frequencies and mids.....please help... i tried vacumming the panel and also tried cleaning the binding posts with alcohol and nothing.... hellp please..
post #552 of 926 Old 01-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

I'd call ML about that problem ASAP.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #553 of 926 Old 01-19-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post

You're probably going down the rabbit hole. Those are old enough that they might need new panels and that's expensive. I'm not sure on particular cost on that model but I wouldn't be surprised if they cost $1500 or more. The older ML panels only last about 20 years from what I gather so it's kind of a crapshoot. You can give the panels a bath (look it up on MartinLogan Owners forum) or make your own replacement panels. IMO you'd be better off buying a newer model which won't be as hard on your current AVR.

Thanks for the reply. Having to buy new panels would kill me after buying them. Don't wanna do that. My girlfriend said the same thing about a buying a newer model instead. If I do that, the ElectroMotion ESLs are most likely what I would be looking at. My Denon AVR-2312CI is rated down to 6 ohms 135W/channel, which is within range of ML's recommendations, but I know that often doesn't tell the whole story.

MacBook Pro 15" w/Retina display | Apple TV | Oppo BDP-105D | Parasound New Classic 2125 | Martin Logan Theos | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV |
post #554 of 926 Old 01-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Depending on your room size you'll probably be fine with that AVR. My EM ESL's are a little more than 65" apart and I sit 8ft away from them and they got plenty loud without distortion when I ran them off my ancient Marantz SR7200 (110watts @ 8ohm, dunno the 6ohm rating) AVR. I later added a Marantz MM9000 amp (170 watts @ 8ohm/230watts @ 4ohm) and it just makes them louder without distortion and when it goes from quiet to loud the louder part had a higher ceiling (I only notice this on like classical and jazz, no so much with rock/metal or electrically amplified instruments).

post #555 of 926 Old 01-20-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Purchased a new pair of Esl for my fronts should be here in a week. They will be matched with a Martin Logan theater center channel and a pair of motion 10s for my rears.

Picked up a psa xv15 as well and hopefully will have that this week. How is that xv30?

Are you watching movies on those Esl?
post #556 of 926 Old 01-20-2014, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In 4-6 weeks, I should be up and running with my Theos fronts and Stage X Center which will be powered by 3 Emotiva XPA-1's. sadly they will be behind an AT screen so wont even see them. frown.gif
post #557 of 926 Old 01-20-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow very nice.
post #558 of 926 Old 01-21-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 221
If anyone reading this thread is in Northern California ( Sacramento area ) Sat., Feb 8th, I am having a home theater demo day, including my 11.2 channel Martin Logan Motion series speakers ( SVS subs ) -

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1512482/av-science-home-theater-equipment-demo-day-saturday-february-8th-2014-sacramento-ca-area

Come hear them in person in a modest DIY home theater setting. smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #559 of 926 Old 01-21-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Wish I could make it but I'm to busy freezing here in ohio
post #560 of 926 Old 01-23-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post

Depending on your room size you'll probably be fine with that AVR. My EM ESL's are a little more than 65" apart and I sit 8ft away from them and they got plenty loud without distortion when I ran them off my ancient Marantz SR7200 (110watts @ 8ohm, dunno the 6ohm rating) AVR. I later added a Marantz MM9000 amp (170 watts @ 8ohm/230watts @ 4ohm) and it just makes them louder without distortion and when it goes from quiet to loud the louder part had a higher ceiling (I only notice this on like classical and jazz, no so much with rock/metal or electrically amplified instruments).

Still thinking about getting these. A little concerned if my amp will power them sufficiently as everywhere I look it seems guys are powering them with some serious juice. My room is about 16' x 15' w/ an average 8 foot ceiling. The room is open to the hallway and kitchen, however. Thanks for providing your experience so far. It helps.

post #561 of 926 Old 01-23-2014, 11:51 AM

Liked: 18
I run my EM ESLs with a 60wpc Rogue Audio tube amp in a 2ch rig with plenty of headroom. That being said, when I ML Clarity in a HT setup and added a Rotel RB990BX to my Onkyo TXNR1008 , it was a pretty substantial improvement. I believe that to be the mediocre amps in the Onkyo.
post #562 of 926 Old 01-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake9 View Post

Still thinking about getting these. A little concerned if my amp will power them sufficiently as everywhere I look it seems guys are powering them with some serious juice. My room is about 16' x 15' w/ an average 8 foot ceiling. The room is open to the hallway and kitchen, however. Thanks for providing your experience so far. It helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen View Post

I run my EM ESLs with a 60wpc Rogue Audio tube amp in a 2ch rig with plenty of headroom. That being said, when I ML Clarity in a HT setup and added a Rotel RB990BX to my Onkyo TXNR1008 , it was a pretty substantial improvement. I believe that to be the mediocre amps in the Onkyo.

Hm, asking if a better amp will improve sound quality. Big can of worms with that kind of question wink.gifbiggrin.gif All I will say on the subject is that tons of people run them with high quality AVRs (upper end denon, marantz, or pioneer) and just as many people run high-end high-powered amps. And with that, I'm running away from this subject!!!
post #563 of 926 Old 01-24-2014, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk26 View Post

In 4-6 weeks, I should be up and running with my Theos fronts and Stage X Center which will be powered by 3 Emotiva XPA-1's. sadly they will be behind an AT screen so wont even see them. frown.gif

Excellent have Theos and Stage myself and love them!

Samsung UN60ES8000, MartinLogan Theos & Stage, B&M CM9 surrounds, Denon 3313, Roku 3, AppleTV, Chromecast, PS4 (SubSolar), Xbox One (SubSolar0)
post #564 of 926 Old 01-27-2014, 07:24 AM

Liked: 10
(Moved to "Martin Logan Owners Thread")

Hello there fellow enthusiasts,

I have a simple setup including a single ML Dynamo 200w 10" sub in a relatively small room. Recently the sub will no longer work. I did the usual checks of the power cord, settings and connection to the reciever (Pioneer Elite VSX-52). The fuse was blown so i replaced it which it fried once again. The next fuse i plugged in did not fry but the unit will not turn on.

I am pretty handy with a soldering iron and not afraid to take that sucker apart but i was look for suggestions in the event the repair is beyond my capability. There was very light use out of the sub so the speaker and cabinet are fine. Some options I was exploring would be first to fix it, going after the fried component in the exisiting unit. Second would be to replace the plate amp with a similar or better one; or if this is even an option, bypass the amp using a direct connect and have the reciever power the sub through speaker wire.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all, Evan
post #565 of 926 Old 01-27-2014, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanDef View Post

(Moved to "Martin Logan Owners Thread")

Hello there fellow enthusiasts,

I have a simple setup including a single ML Dynamo 200w 10" sub in a relatively small room. Recently the sub will no longer work. I did the usual checks of the power cord, settings and connection to the reciever (Pioneer Elite VSX-52). The fuse was blown so i replaced it which it fried once again. The next fuse i plugged in did not fry but the unit will not turn on.

I am pretty handy with a soldering iron and not afraid to take that sucker apart but i was look for suggestions in the event the repair is beyond my capability. There was very light use out of the sub so the speaker and cabinet are fine. Some options I was exploring would be first to fix it, going after the fried component in the exisiting unit. Second would be to replace the plate amp with a similar or better one; or if this is even an option, bypass the amp using a direct connect and have the reciever power the sub through speaker wire.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all, Evan

You may want to email Dana at martinlogan. His email is dbrown@martinlogan.com

Let him know your problem and he should give you some good advice.

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #566 of 926 Old 01-27-2014, 10:24 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks, i just sent him an email.
post #567 of 926 Old 01-27-2014, 05:13 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltalkm View Post

I see you have a 305 area code. Check with Sound Advice. They have two stores. One in Lauderdale and one in Boca. Easy to deal with.
I have dual Depth i's and they sound great. Having said that, I would love to get a hold of a couple of the new BalancedForce subs from ML.

I have a couple Descent i's thanks to Audio Advisor's sale, and I love them. I have them playing with my Montis and I have plenty of bass, more than I need. I will say that in comparison to my 1 SVS PB13-Ultra they aren't perfect. My short story: I had a PB13-Ultra and it shook my house and gave me all the deep bass I wanted, and it was awesome. I bought my Montis speakers and the bass was cancelling out probably because I had sealed and ported bass modules fighting each other. I sold my SVS and bought 2 Descent i's. They integrated much better. The Descent i's sound phenomenal and I still have plenty of slam for movies, but I will say that my 1 SVS produced more extreme low end punch. If I had to pick between them, I'd still go with the Descent i's because they are so good at what they do, but I'm really excited to see what the 212's can do.

My work in progress: Sony KDL65w850a, Oppo 105D Darbee edition, Marantz 7701, Marantz 8077, Martin Logan (ML) Montis, ML Descent i (2 of them to replace my SVS PB 13U), ML center and surround speakers, decent cables, APC H15 power conditioner, Logitech Harmony Ultimate (for the wife obviously),...
post #568 of 926 Old 01-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newAVphile View Post

I have a couple Descent i's thanks to Audio Advisor's sale, and I love them. I have them playing with my Montis and I have plenty of bass, more than I need. I will say that in comparison to my 1 SVS PB13-Ultra they aren't perfect. My short story: I had a PB13-Ultra and it shook my house and gave me all the deep bass I wanted, and it was awesome. I bought my Montis speakers and the bass was cancelling out probably because I had sealed and ported bass modules fighting each other. I sold my SVS and bought 2 Descent i's. They integrated much better. The Descent i's sound phenomenal and I still have plenty of slam for movies, but I will say that my 1 SVS produced more extreme low end punch. If I had to pick between them, I'd still go with the Descent i's because they are so good at what they do, but I'm really excited to see what the 212's can do.

I will sell my depth i's one day to get a pair of 210's or 212's. I really want to use/try the Perfect Bass Kit sub eq it uses.

I am more than happy with my Depth's but I can only imagine what the Decent's must sound like. cool.gif

Montis is awesome.
newAVphile likes this.

post #569 of 926 Old 01-28-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking for some help for my new ESLs. Trying to figure out which would be the best way to setup for home theater use.

Should I leave the rake as is or should
I tilt it forward. The speakers are actually on my stage so it puts them around a foot or so above ear level
post #570 of 926 Old 01-28-2014, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

Looking for some help for my new ESLs. Trying to figure out which would be the best way to setup for home theater use.

Should I leave the rake as is or should
I tilt it forward. The speakers are actually on my stage so it puts them around a foot or so above ear level

I would think with that elevation you should try to get them as close to 90 degrees as possible.

But ultimately you will need to experiment as the panels imaging changes quite a bit with its rake and toe angles. For what its worth, I have tilted my Montis forward quite a bit, not quite 90 degrees, but close. Mine are pretty much on the floor except for the spikes and the Aurelex Sub Dudes they are on.

Who knows, I may tilt them back one day! smile.gif

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor 50 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page