Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #631 of 1120 Old 02-04-2014, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
This is what I'm using for the sides in dipole. I did this because the esl's are dipole and I feel you don't need rear speakers with these in dipole mode..
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Veritas-3-Way-Surround-Speaker/dp/B005C2QW8K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391542592&sr=8-1&keywords=energy+surround+speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1120 Old 02-04-2014, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Energy are not a bad line, are you suggesting "surround specific " speakers are not a good choice for rears? I personally like bi-directional sound that they produce.

I'm looking at the Klipsch RS-52 II or 62 II surrounds. any experiences? Anyone use with the ESLs?
post #633 of 1120 Old 02-04-2014, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post

I can't be certain of course, but I feel as though it's more of a set-up issue than a speaker issue. I doubt that the placement of the center speaker inside the cabinet is too much of an issue, but even a sealed speaker will be influenced by proximity to hard surfaces. I would suggest pulling it out from the tv stand and running audyssey again with the center having room around it. When you ran Audyssey, how many measurement points did you use? I would also suggest try running a lower than normal crossover as previously suggested. Depending on what receiver/processor I use, I set my crossovers anywhere from 50-70hz.

Another question for you, does the volume that you are listening to have any effect? Like it sounds better/worse if you really crank the volume? could be a dynamic EQ issue. and if you move around the room while listening do certain places better/worse? I'm wondering if you have room null issues.

I might have to get a pro come out to calibrate my system. That would be cheaper than buying a bunch of speakers to test them out. I don't think it sounds different at different volumes. I did have serious null issues in my room for bass, and I placed a few room treatments and solved that problem, so I wouldn't doubt that I might have other issues. Thank you again for all your advice!

My work in progress: Sony KDL65w850a, Oppo 105D Darbee edition, Marantz 7701, Marantz 8077, W4S DAC1-LE, Martin Logan (ML) Montis, Dual Funk Audio 18.0, Sonos, ML center and surround speakers, decent cables (Cardas, Pangea, Bluejeans), APC H15 power conditioner, Logitech Harmony Ultimate (for the wife obviously),...
post #634 of 1120 Old 02-04-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Try Accucal for a calibration.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #635 of 1120 Old 02-04-2014, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Try Accucal for a calibration.

Thank you for the recommendation. You guys are seriously helpful, great forum!

My work in progress: Sony KDL65w850a, Oppo 105D Darbee edition, Marantz 7701, Marantz 8077, W4S DAC1-LE, Martin Logan (ML) Montis, Dual Funk Audio 18.0, Sonos, ML center and surround speakers, decent cables (Cardas, Pangea, Bluejeans), APC H15 power conditioner, Logitech Harmony Ultimate (for the wife obviously),...
post #636 of 1120 Old 02-04-2014, 05:56 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake9 View Post

Still thinking about getting these. A little concerned if my amp will power them sufficiently as everywhere I look it seems guys are powering them with some serious juice. My room is about 16' x 15' w/ an average 8 foot ceiling. The room is open to the hallway and kitchen, however. Thanks for providing your experience so far. It helps.

I am powering mine with a Pioneer SC 75 AV receiver (135 watts/ch) with absolutely no problem. They have exceeded my expectations by far.
Will never go back to a box speaker.
jake9 likes this.
post #637 of 1120 Old 02-04-2014, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdog4 View Post

I am powering mine with a Pioneer SC 75 AV receiver (135 watts/ch) with absolutely no problem. They have exceeded my expectations by far.
Will never go back to a box speaker.

Typically I try to stay away from that type of discussion but I will say that I'm running my Montis and Motif X with a Denon AVR-x4000 and have never had the urge to upgrade, even after hearing them run off of some serious high-end gear (McIntosh MX151 processor with McIntosh MC205 amp). I won't definitely say whether or not amps/preamps make a difference, I do say that you will get much larger gains by spending your money elsewhere (better speakers, room treatment, etc.).
jake9 and Johnny Saleh like this.
post #638 of 1120 Old 02-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newAVphile View Post

I might have to get a pro come out to calibrate my system. That would be cheaper than buying a bunch of speakers to test them out. I don't think it sounds different at different volumes. I did have serious null issues in my room for bass, and I placed a few room treatments and solved that problem, so I wouldn't doubt that I might have other issues. Thank you again for all your advice!

Just out of curiosity, have you ever considered not using a center speaker and just running a phantom center? some people prefer the phantom center assuming they are typically in the sweet spot.

As far as calibration, before paying someone to calibrate your system for you, I would at least try to pull your speaker out from the cabinet and pull it like 2 feet into the room and re-run audyssey. that will help determine if it's only a set-up issue or a speaker issue as well. Good luck, i spent months and months setting up my speakers until I was satisfied.
|Tch0rT| and newAVphile like this.
post #639 of 1120 Old 02-04-2014, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

Thanks. Now would those models be as good as the newer models? Would the Stage be considered better than the Theater in general? The reason I ask is that i am a little leery on getting these older models which are about 10 years old especially when the newer centers may be better and really not that much more expensive used.

Sorry I haven't heard your model of speaker nor any of the ESL centers so I can't really comment on them. I can understand being leery on the older models as the panels tend not to last long past 15 years.

I'll be upgrading my center soon. I currently have an Encore TF and it's ok. I was hoping to snag a closeout Motif but I guess I wasn't able to. Probably going to end up with an EM C2. I've thought about a Theater i used but I'm leery of older panels and people tend to want ridiculous prices on those.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #640 of 1120 Old 02-05-2014, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I don't mind too much spending $600 to $700 on a Cinema, but $1000 or more on a Theater i, that is 10 or more years old, that's pushing it. I have seen used Stages go for a little more and used Motif's about the same as the Theaters. I do wonder how good the Electroomotion C2 is compared to the Motif and Stage?

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Sharp Elite 70X5FD
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer Elite SC-07, SC-05 Receivers
Martin Logan Ascents
Rotel RMB 985MKII
NHT VT-2.4 Surround System
Velodyne DD-18 Pair
post #641 of 1120 Old 02-05-2014, 01:39 PM

Liked: 14

My electrostat fans : i know electrostats have a stereotype of not being ideal to play loud or 'rock out' (read it a few times, paraphrased), but I am not sure if this applies to MLs as they have woofers. I assumed that this meant they arent great for hard rock or edm type stuff. But electrostats are also said to be "very fast". Hmmmmmm, now i am confused. So given these two statements which seem contradictory to me, how do you think ML electrostats are suited for "harder" music vs a traditional floor stander (B&W cm10 for instance)?? 

post #642 of 1120 Old 02-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papashango61 View Post

My electrostat fans : i know electrostats have a stereotype of not being ideal to play loud or 'rock out' (read it a few times, paraphrased), but I am not sure if this applies to MLs as they have woofers. I assumed that this meant they arent great for hard rock or edm type stuff. But electrostats are also said to be "very fast". Hmmmmmm, now i am confused. So given these two statements which seem contradictory to me, how do you think ML electrostats are suited for "harder" music vs a traditional floor stander (B&W cm10 for instance)?? 

Speakers don't know what they are playing. They will play all kinds of music well. I think the notion that they don't play certain kinds of music well comes from them a few things:

1. speakers like the CM series have a pretty heavy roll-off in the 5-10khz region. When played loudly the roll-off makes them sound warmer where as a flatter frequency response might sound bright at high volumes
2. they typically have a very flat frequency response as opposed to the artificial mid-bass push (80-150 hz region) that many box speakers have which make them sound "fuller" depending on the music
3. a straight planar speaker (not hybrid) will have problems with dynamic range in the bass/mid-bass region. with the powered woofers and significantly more efficient panels I don't think it's an issue anymore.
4. people don't sit down and listen to music very much anymore. it's no secret that they don't sound the same sitting down and standing up so if you are up moving around the room rocking out while doing stuff at home they won't sound their absolute best

When people ask me to demonstrate something on my speakers I never think to myself "man, can't play any rock cause then it won't sound any good!"
post #643 of 1120 Old 02-05-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:

When people ask me to demonstrate something on my speakers I never think to myself "man, can't play any rock cause then it won't sound any good!"

I think that with the PM1s !

post #644 of 1120 Old 02-05-2014, 05:17 PM

What's a good crossover level you all use for the ESLs or other Electrostatic L/R?
post #645 of 1120 Old 02-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post

What's a good crossover level you all use for the ESLs or other Electrostatic L/R?

Crossover settings will vary depending on speaker placement, subwoofer, room acoustics, and personal preference. You should ideally never be able to tell where your subwoofer is placed. Most people recommend 80hz as that is where most people cannot hear directionally. I find that I much prefer lower crossovers and cross my speaker at 50/60hz.
post #646 of 1120 Old 02-05-2014, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

My EM ESL's can get loud and sound good with rock/metal. I listen to a lot of different stuff but I mostly listen to metal (Metallica, At the Gates, Opeth, Dimmu Borgir, Necrophagist, Emperor, Death, Isis, Lamb of God, etc) and they work great IMO.
Johnny Saleh likes this.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #647 of 1120 Old 02-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I was just telling Papa that I am at a queens of the stone age concert as I type this to give him an example of the types of music I listen to. Ml's play rock just fine on my Montis.
Johnny Saleh likes this.

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #648 of 1120 Old 02-05-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Crossover settings will vary depending on speaker placement, subwoofer, room acoustics, and personal preference. You should ideally never be able to tell where your subwoofer is placed. Most people recommend 80hz as that is where most people cannot hear directionally. I find that I much prefer lower crossovers and cross my speaker at 50/60hz.

does the Sub's LFE setting come in to play with that as well?
post #649 of 1120 Old 02-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post

I don't mind too much spending $600 to $700 on a Cinema, but $1000 or more on a Theater i, that is 10 or more years old, that's pushing it. I have seen used Stages go for a little more and used Motif's about the same as the Theaters. I do wonder how good the Electroomotion C2 is compared to the Motif and Stage?

I'm running a Cinema center with my ML Aerius I's , and it's by far the best center channel speaker I've ever heard(MHO). If you can find one at a good price , I say go for it smile.gif

Alan

Cruzin

Martin Logan Speakers

Marantz Prepro

Aragon 4004, and Outlaw 7100 amps

Chase 18.1 Sub,and Velodyne DD15

LittleBear tube preamp

Pro-Ject debutte 3 turntable

post #650 of 1120 Old 02-05-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Can you get to an ML dealer and ask for a demo? Bring your own tunes.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #651 of 1120 Old 02-06-2014, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post

does the Sub's LFE setting come in to play with that as well?

It does in the sense that the LFE setting (usually a dial) on the subwoofer will filter out anything higher than the selected frequency. the lfe /rossover settings on subs should really only be used if your pre-amp does not have any crossover/bass management settings. If you are using your receiver's crossover, you should turn the crossover on your sub up as high as it will go so as to not interfere with the processing being done by the receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Can you get to an ML dealer and ask for a demo? Bring your own tunes.

Definitely. Also, make sure you bring good quality recordings, probably not a live recording unless it is an unusually good recording that you know very well. I worked in high-end audio sales for years and the vast majority would ask to play a crappy MP3 from their phone. Original CD's or lossless files through USB only. Even a lossless file though a phone/mp3 player's headphone plug is not ideal.
post #652 of 1120 Old 02-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Definitely. Also, make sure you bring good quality recordings, probably not a live recording unless it is an unusually good recording that you know very well. I worked in high-end audio sales for years and the vast majority would ask to play a crappy MP3 from their phone. Original CD's or lossless files through USB only. Even a lossless file though a phone/mp3 player's headphone plug is not ideal.

Good thinking.

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #653 of 1120 Old 02-06-2014, 07:32 PM

how do you play lossless through usb? assume iphone an only do mp3. 

post #654 of 1120 Old 02-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

how do you play lossless through usb? assume iphone an only do mp3. 

The lossless files will just be on a USB storage device to be played from a processor that has a USB input.

post #655 of 1120 Old 02-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

I would assume you can use the apple lossless format through an ipod/iphone since the majority of avr's support ipod/iphone usb directly
post #656 of 1120 Old 02-07-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

I would assume you can use the apple lossless format through an ipod/iphone since the majority of avr's support ipod/iphone usb directly
This is a really dumb question but how do you access the apple lossless audio?

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Marantz AV8801 pre-pro / MM8077 amp
Martin Logan Motion 50XT Center
Martin Logan Motion 60XT Fronts/40 Rears
REL R-528 SE (2)
Oppo BDP-103D/Playstation 4/Furman ELITE-20 PF i
post #657 of 1120 Old 02-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

So ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Compression) is a type of file that apple developed (and by developed I mean I think they based it heavily off of FLAC). If you take a full quality WAV (CD) file, instead of importing it into itunes as an MP3 or AAC file you just import as Apple Lossless. It's an option you select in the iTunes settings. It makes the files about 50% smaller without losing any quality. People tend not to realize how much quality is lost when you convert a CD to mp3 and no matter what, even if you covert back to a CD, you can never restore the audio quality. For basic earbuds and headphones, any lossless file probably won't sound much better than a decent mp3. However, now that we are talking about multi-thousand dollar speakers, the difference in file quality is immediately apparent to almost anyone.
post #658 of 1120 Old 02-07-2014, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

If anyone wants to know if lossless is worthwhile for them or not, take your favorite CD and rip your favorite song once as an mp3 and once as Apple Lossless (or any lossless file). Then on your system play the mp3, followed immediately by the lossless, followed immediately by the mp3 again. Caution: may cause you to re-rip your entire music collection wink.gif
post #659 of 1120 Old 02-07-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

So ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Compression) is a type of file that apple developed (and by developed I mean I think they based it heavily off of FLAC). If you take a full quality WAV (CD) file, instead of importing it into itunes as an MP3 or AAC file you just import as Apple Lossless. It's an option you select in the iTunes settings. It makes the files about 50% smaller without losing any quality. People tend not to realize how much quality is lost when you convert a CD to mp3 and no matter what, even if you covert back to a CD, you can never restore the audio quality. For basic earbuds and headphones, any lossless file probably won't sound much better than a decent mp3. However, now that we are talking about multi-thousand dollar speakers, the difference in file quality is immediately apparent to almost anyone.
Thank you for the clarification!!
Johnny Saleh likes this.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Marantz AV8801 pre-pro / MM8077 amp
Martin Logan Motion 50XT Center
Martin Logan Motion 60XT Fronts/40 Rears
REL R-528 SE (2)
Oppo BDP-103D/Playstation 4/Furman ELITE-20 PF i
post #660 of 1120 Old 02-07-2014, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

That's a myth and ridiculous! Rock sounds awesome,try telling Tesla they sound like crap on these speakers.. Its sounds incredible! They go as loud as you want them too,but lets be honest,they will do reference,but man,that is just too loud for me.. I listened to CM8's and 9's and didn't like either,plus they are over prices when you can get Monitor RX8's on sale right now on audio advisor for $695 ea. That is an absolute steal! I bought those for $1000 ea,worth every penny and sounded better than the CM9's. I sent them back,because the Electromotion ESL's sound better than anything I tried,with any type of music..
|Tch0rT| likes this.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor 50 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page