Martin Logan Owners Thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #751 of 928 Old 05-15-2014, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My girlfriend never liked "loud" music until we demo'd a pair of ML Theos. Even she was impressed. Now she tolerates my loud music and even plays her own now. wink.gif
Craig Peer likes this.

MacBook Pro 15" w/Retina display | Apple TV | Oppo BDP-105D | Parasound New Classic 2125 | Martin Logan Theos | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 928 Old 05-16-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Turns out the Neolith is indeed a new generation of the original Monolith architecture, right down to the size of the panel (22X48").
The biggest variance is that the bass section has both a front-firing mid-bass driver (12") and a 15" low-frequency driver (rear-facing).

Here is a pic from the Munich show:

Nice, but I'm sticking with my highly customized active-crossover based Gen1 Monoliths.
post #753 of 928 Old 05-16-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Those look massive
post #754 of 928 Old 05-18-2014, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Cool shot JonFo, thanks.

Every once in a while, completely inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #755 of 928 Old 05-19-2014, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So if they can make an updated Monolith panel, I'd love to see an updated CLS. The panel is just about the same size. Make it affordable and they would sell like hot cakes.

Wishful thinking.....rolleyes.gif
post #756 of 928 Old 05-22-2014, 07:23 AM

This isn't exactly new news but for any new Martin Logan electrostatic owners, let me just say these really take some break-in whether you believe in it or not. My EM-ESLs were purchased as demos so I can't say how many hours were on the panels but due to an unfortunate incident, they now have new panels in them. I'm really surprised in the difference in sound and can't wait until they have 40-100 hours on them. They don't sound nearly as good as the broken in panels. Since I have all tube gear I'd prefer not to just let them run for 40-50 hours straight, I'll have to be patient and loosen them up by listening.

So if you heard a great demo at the dealer but you get them home and they sound like !@#$, just keep playing them as much as you can before your return window expires.
post #757 of 928 Old 05-22-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen View Post

This isn't exactly new news but for any new Martin Logan electrostatic owners, let me just say these really take some break-in whether you believe in it or not. My EM-ESLs were purchased as demos so I can't say how many hours were on the panels but due to an unfortunate incident, they now have new panels in them. I'm really surprised in the difference in sound and can't wait until they have 40-100 hours on them. They don't sound nearly as good as the broken in panels. Since I have all tube gear I'd prefer not to just let them run for 40-50 hours straight, I'll have to be patient and loosen them up by listening.

So if you heard a great demo at the dealer but you get them home and they sound like !@#$, just keep playing them as much as you can before your return window expires.

I totally agree! I bought a new set a couple months ago, and it is amazing how much better they sound now than when I first got them, and I thought they sounded good new, but now every time I listen to something ( Movie or music ), that is new or something I've hear a zillion times, I'm amazed!!!biggrin.gif
post #758 of 928 Old 05-22-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Any help on how to get the sweet spot on those Esl?

Did you use he flashlight trick
post #759 of 928 Old 05-22-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966 View Post

I totally agree! I bought a new set a couple months ago, and it is amazing how much better they sound now than when I first got them, and I thought they sounded good new, but now every time I listen to something ( Movie or music ), that is new or something I've hear a zillion times, I'm amazed!!!biggrin.gif

Martin Logan said my Motion Series speakers needed a break in period. While I've never given speaker break in much thought, they did sound less bright / more pleasing to me at some point ( I was not paying attention to how many hours at 2 - 3 hours per movie ). Other friends noticed it too ( since we have a lot of movie nights ). smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #760 of 928 Old 05-23-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

Flashlight, tape measure and allot of listening. Granted the sweet spot in my room is about a foot wide. Really gives meaning to "head in vise". This is my third pair of MLs so I knew that coming in. My last speakers were Mirage's so they were the complete opposite.
post #761 of 928 Old 05-23-2014, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Flashlight trick, tape measure, and the set up diagram in the owner's manual. I had mine way too far apart at first, and it just didn't sound right. I moved them closer and voila. Imaging improved. I also experimented with the toe-in angle, and vertical angle. My sweet spot is pretty narrow, but I'm not sure if there's much room for improvement.

MacBook Pro 15" w/Retina display | Apple TV | Oppo BDP-105D | Parasound New Classic 2125 | Martin Logan Theos | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV |
post #762 of 928 Old 05-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I used the flashlight trick for a bit. Now I use a laser pointer and a tape measure. I picked up the laser pointer trick from Sonnie over at HT Shack:
Quote:
I was using the flashlight trick until I got a laser, now I am spoiled, as I can get it dead on... and even a few degrees different toe can make a slight difference between each speakers response. I start with the flashlight trick to get them fairly close, but then I place the laser on the side of the speaker and aim it back at the listening position and at the back wall just above the listening position, with all things being symmetrical, I can get them deal equal on toe-in.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-speakers/70413-official-2-500-speaker-evaluation-home-audition-event-74.html#post653643
Quote:
I place it on whichever side makes it easier to point at something that I can get it lined up with as a point source for both speakers. In some cases, like the Magnepan speakers, it is necessary to place it flat on top of the speaker with the edge of the laser parallel with the edge of the speaker, since it does not have a flat enough side to rest the laser. On my Prodigy's I use the bass cabinet and lie it flat on the side.

file.php?n=13727

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-speakers/70413-official-2-500-speaker-evaluation-home-audition-event-74.html#post653690

Hope that helps. smile.gif

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #763 of 928 Old 05-24-2014, 08:46 AM

I used the laser trick too. Works great, but one time I melted my left cornea. Huge bummer.

Nah, I haven't melted anything, and I can see the incremental advantage of laser-sighting speaker placement. But it (almost) goes without saying -- anyone that reads this thread and decides to try it -- do NOT sit in the LP to confirm that you have the angle just right with the laser on.

That's an unneeded warning for most folks, but plenty of kids read these threads, as does the occasional adult in the middle of a very happy hour, so better safe than sorry.

Every once in a while, completely inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #764 of 928 Old 05-24-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Now I need a laser hahaha
post #765 of 928 Old 05-25-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

While I've never given speaker break in much thought, [my ML's] did sound less bright / more pleasing to me at some point. (I was not paying attention to how many hours at 2 - 3 hours per movie.) Other friends noticed it too (since we have a lot of movie nights). smile.gif

+1 on Craig and rr6966 ^. Obviously, we all understand speakers need a break-in period, but it wasn't until getting ML panels that I noticed such a huge evolution and improvement. I liked them right away, but they've become much richer, much fuller over time. I am really surprised by the difference. It isn't subtle.

So we played our first SACD the other night on them. Dark Side of the Moon. I had wondered whether SACD was primarily marketing hype. That concern was laid to rest halfway through the first track. Listening to that SACD was a lot like sitting at the Pink Floyd show we saw back in the 90's, except this time the chairs were more comfortable, and the beer was much cheaper. biggrin.gif

post #766 of 928 Old 05-29-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Keck View Post

Hey everyone. I'm new to the Martin Logan speakers. I am looking to upgrade my system. I'm thinking of going with the ESL's and the Motif X. Is that too much center speaker for those fronts? I won't get a chance to listen to the pair before I buy. Wondering if anyone has that setup or if I should go with the Electromotion C2 center? Any advice would be great!! Thanks!!

Haven't been on the forums in awhile but decided to pop in to some of the subscribed forums/threads I'm in. ML Owners thread being one of them. To comment on your situation Adam, I too had a 100% ML setup. The ONLY thing I changed was the subwoofer (Dynamo 700) was sold on eBay for an Outlaw LFM1-EX. That thing is a beast and it was on sale @$499 w/free shipping!! That was a saying that comes to mind "Right place right time". So now I have an 85% ML EM setup.

Now to your center channel...I have an all ML EM-ESL setup (ESL front left, front right, C2 center and FX2 surround rear left, and surround rear right). I wanted everything to match tonally. And from what most are saying, is that to me, the sound right out of the box was warm and crisp, actually not too bright. And though I'm not a true audiophile with hearing to discern whether or not my speakers are "broken in" by now (2 and a half years later), they definitely feel even warmer. If you can afford it stay all EM all-around including the C2 center channel as primarily I use it for HT (Home theater) use 95% of the time (movies, and tv shows via DIRECTV). Music would be 5% via my Apple TV and iTunes or streaming Pandora.
post #767 of 928 Old 05-29-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

How are the fx2.

They are expensive for a surround.
post #768 of 928 Old 05-29-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:

How are the fx2.

They are expensive for a surround.

They are but I wanted everything to match tonal-wise and they are a little bigger than the Motion series. And being that this literally is my first ever true HTS I went and splurged an an all ML system (minus the sub).
But they are very good. In fact I thought I had blown one of the speakers but it turns out I blew a channel on my A/V receiver (Marantz SR7005). Luckily it was still under warranty and got it repaired.
post #769 of 928 Old 06-16-2014, 12:45 AM

Liked: 10
Just wanted to thank the folks who helped with my decision to go with the ML ESL's and Motif X center. I am hooking them up to a Denon X4000 with AQ Rocket 44 speaker wire. I move back to MN in a week or so and they should be waiting for me when I get there hopefully! Thanks again everyone!
post #770 of 928 Old 06-16-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Still have not got around to the setup of the ESLs yet. Been working on calibration for my projector when I get the time. Sort of doing little by little waiting patiently until my little one doesn't require 24/7 attention
post #771 of 928 Old 06-22-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Resurrecting this because I finally took the plunge and bought a pair of Motion 15s and a Motion 8 for a 3.1 setup in a small apartment. Marantz MA500 monoblocks drive them, with a Marantz SR5005 performing AVR duties.

I was thoroughly impressed after auditioning them at Magnolia, but holy cow am I amazed with them at home. I did some quick tests with a few of my favorite movies (Sunshine, Star Trek First Contact, The Fifth Element) and everyone's voice was immensely more clear and distinct without being harsh or shrill. I also ran through some Apple Lossless music playback of some good demo tracks (Mass Effect 3 Soundtrack, Pearl Jam's "Ten", Michael Jackson's "Thriller") and a lot of instruments sounded...well, more realistic. In particular, the strong piano notes in the "Leaving Earth" track in the ME3 soundtrack were incredibly accurate and rich. There was no feeling of a speaker playing the sound due to the wide and convincing soundstage.

Truly phenomenal. I can't wait until I buy a decent-sized condo and get some bigger Motion towers for up front, and until these break-in a bit more.
post #772 of 928 Old 06-23-2014, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Hey everyone. Haven't had much time for AVS recently. Transitioned from a job where I could get my day's work done within an hour of arriving in the morning so I could spend the rest of the day online to a new job where the work pace is frantic. Love the new job but less time for the forum. However, I always find time to listen to my MLs My Montis and Motif X still sound great and bring a big smile to my face and to anyone who asks for a demo. Even the wife has started to realize movies sound better and are more enjoyable on our system that at many theaters. I originally had planned to use my Denon AVR-X4000 as a pre and get an upgraded amp. but after a year with this set-up, it has never left me wanting more power even though the first time I ever heard the montis was on an all mcintosh setup.

Next on my list of system upgrades in an 18" DIY subwoofer. I had the depth i a while back for about a day before I sent it back. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice sub and is gorgeous but does not plumb the depths like I want my system to.
post #773 of 928 Old 06-23-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Martin Logan makes good subs, but for " plumbing the depths ", you can't beat one ( or two ) SVS cylinder subs. Depending on your room size, you might find any loose fillings your dentist missed too..............

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #774 of 928 Old 06-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Martin Logan makes good subs, but for " plumbing the depths ", you can't beat one ( or two ) SVS cylinder subs. Depending on your room size, you might find any loose fillings your dentist missed too..............
I'm certainly gonna try to beat an SVS cylinder My biggest restriction, one that many on here have, is a wife who cares a lot about the equipment that people see in the living room. I will probably be doing an 18" driver (likely the SI 18") in a 5 cu ft enclosure that will be used as an endtable finished in stained oak. It's a fairly small room so flat to 17hz is my goal.

anyway, ML. who here has put in for a pair of neolith
post #775 of 928 Old 06-23-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Martin Logan makes good subs, but for "plumbing the depths", you can't beat SVS cylinder subs.
Good call Craig, and welcome back 'Mayzn. On the WAF issue, my wife was totally on board with our first SVS cylinder because "it looks so different". And no, I didn't have to put anything into her wine to help her see it that way.

Long story short, if anyone out there wants a cylinder, don't be defensive with your better half. She watches the design shows, right? It's all about the design aesthetic. It's Urban. It's Art Deco. It's whatever it needs to be. :0

Don't even ask me now I lucked into getting a second cylinder a few months later. Wasn't even my idea.
post #776 of 928 Old 06-24-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
If you are an ML fan my advice is to get a Depth or Descent i while you can. You can screw around with DIY subs any time but ML is not making these any more and good deals can be had. I've had lots of high-end speakers/subs in my house and I am very satisfied with the Descent i.
Janibrewski likes this.
post #777 of 928 Old 06-24-2014, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Good call Craig, and welcome back 'Mayzn. On the WAF issue, my wife was totally on board with our first SVS cylinder because "it looks so different". And no, I didn't have to put anything into her wine to help her see it that way.

Long story short, if anyone out there wants a cylinder, don't be defensive with your better half. She watches the design shows, right? It's all about the design aesthetic. It's Urban. It's Art Deco. It's whatever it needs to be. :0

Don't even ask me now I lucked into getting a second cylinder a few months later. Wasn't even my idea.
An SVS cylinder would be nice but my wife hates the way ALL speakers look. Yes, including my beloved ML's. She just hates them less than the rest. My only choice really is to not let people realize that it's a speaker. that, and I think i can build my 18" for less than any of the svs cylinder options, except maybe the $750 one
post #778 of 928 Old 07-02-2014, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, I'm new here. I've got the ML Edge for front and center. Love them.
For my rears I have the ML Electromotion R.
When I get the money I want the Vanquish for the rear instead.
post #779 of 928 Old 07-04-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i was researching the martin logan motion for my home movie theater setup and i found that amazon is selling the 40's for only $762 in cherrywood while black is 999. is this a too good to pass up? sold by amazon and says new. they'll be fronts for a 7.1 setup
post #780 of 928 Old 07-04-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Nissen View Post
Hi, I'm new here. I've got the ML Edge for front and center. Love them.
For my rears I have the ML Electromotion R ...
Hope you get to use them a bunch over the long weekend.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor 50 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page