Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 798 Old 07-04-2014, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxkid View Post
i was researching the martin logan motion for my home movie theater setup and i found that amazon is selling the 40's for only $762 in cherrywood while black is 999. is this a too good to pass up? sold by amazon and says new. they'll be fronts for a 7.1 setup
If the Seller is actually Amazon (versus another seller operating on the Amazon site), then you'd have great buyer protection. Sounds like a good deal, but I'd bounce an email off of the AVS folks who are forum sponsors here, and see what they can do. Craig, are you listening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 798 Old 07-04-2014, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
If the Seller is actually Amazon (versus another seller operating on the Amazon site), then you'd have great buyer protection. Sounds like a good deal, but I'd bounce an email off of the AVS folks who are forum sponsors here, and see what they can do. Craig, are you listening?
they're probably off for the holidays and the price dropped again to $724 each so I jumped on it before price went up. I'm officially an owner of Martin Logan speaker set. Now to find 4 speakers for the rear and find a good deal for the motion 30 for the center....and of course a new reciever that can power them. happy 4th to everyone

it says the motion 2 is discontinued but i'm thinking if i find them i can get away with pairing them with the motion 40 front and motion 30 center instead of buying the motion 4.

Last edited by bronxkid; 07-04-2014 at 06:20 PM.
post #783 of 798 Old 07-06-2014, 12:49 PM

I was looking at the Martin Logan website and their recommended system (http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/systems.php) for the motion 40 fronts and motion 30 center is to use the motion fx for the surrounds. What are people here using for 5.1 or 7.1 systems with similar front/center? Are people using the motion 2, 4 or fx? I'm also wondering if for a 15x30' room I can get almost as good home movie experience with a 5.1 as 7.1 with one of the above setups

Last edited by bronxkid; 07-06-2014 at 01:03 PM.
post #784 of 798 Old 07-06-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I was looking at the Martin Logan website and their recommended system (http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/systems.php) for the motion 40 fronts and motion 30 center is to use the motion fx for the surrounds. What are people here using for 5.1 or 7.1 systems with similar front/center? Are people using the motion 2, 4 or fx?
I am using Motion 12's for LF and RF, Motion 6 center (thinking upgrade to 30 here) and 2 Motion 2's for Left/Right side surrounds. Two Pyle Pro cubes for rears for now. The Motion 2's are going to end up as rear surrounds as I am getting ML Helos in ceiling mounted on the sides, pointing the tweeters towards the seats. Also adding either 2 or 4 Helos in ceiling for Dolby Atmos

In all honestly, close friend has the FX's that I want. We hooked up My Cubes vs. Motion 2 vs. the FX's for rear surround. We used Transformersark of the Moon Highway mass destruction scene. For rears, I got to be honest here. the FX's didn't enhance the experience for the money at all. There was a little more crispness in sound from both the FX and Motion 2's, but nothing that justifies spending that type of money on Rear Surrounds.

For the money, if you have a smaller 4-6 person theater, the FX's are way over priced for this type of setup. Now if I had a larger room for 8+ people, then I would definitely buy the FX's. To me it really depends on the size of the listening area.

My 12's are going to be around along time as I have heard the way higher priced 40's and other than look and design, I really can't tell a difference. But I am definitely upgrading the Motion 6 as it is too small of a center.

Cool Beans.
post #785 of 798 Old 07-06-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post
For rears, I got to be honest here. the FX's didn't enhance the experience for the money at all. There was a little more crispness in sound from both the FX and Motion 2's, but nothing that justifies spending that type of money on Rear Surrounds.

For the money, if you have a smaller 4-6 person theater, the FX's are way over priced for this type of setup. Now if I had a larger room for 8+ people, then I would definitely buy the FX's. To me it really depends on the size of the listening area.

thanks for the input. I'm still working on the room but it'll be two rows of seats only, about 4 seats each, with one row 12-13 feet back and another 14-15ft back. I imagine with good speaker placement getting two sets of motion 2 (for the side and rear) will be more cost effective than two sets of fx but may sound better than getting only 1 set of fx. I think that's what I'll do. The room has vaulted ceiling so in ceiling speakers are out. For your center, I listened to the motion 30 and it was crisp and clear. I ordered a factory reconditioned from audio advisor in case you're looking. I wouldn't have considered the 40's at present pricing but I got a deal for them at the price of the 20's

Last edited by bronxkid; 07-06-2014 at 03:25 PM.
post #786 of 798 Old 07-06-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Interesting I was going to get a pair of motion fx or fx2 to replace my motion 10s which are in my rear.
I have ESLs for fronts and a theater for center.

Now I might just get a pair of helos and call it a day
post #787 of 798 Old 07-06-2014, 04:49 PM

Liked: 31
More and more movies I watch the more I realize the front 5 speakers are the most important in the system. Any speaker can do a quick zip or zing or helicopter rotor in the distance for a second or 2 in the rears and you won't tell a difference.

My original plan was to put the Helos in the rear surrounds, but the motion 2's are sitting freeform on stands next to chairs which I really don't like. I just have to figure out how to mount the M2's hanging from the ceiling. Not buying anything yet till all Atmos Receivers are released in fall, then I will buy the speakers with the receiver. I like the Electromotion IC's, but 2 sides and 4 ceilings would run almost $2500 for them. I like the fact that the Helos 12 have a tweeter stem that can be pointed at the listener.

Cool Beans.

Last edited by DRaven72; 07-06-2014 at 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling
post #788 of 798 Old 07-06-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

My room is kinda small for front wides or heights
post #789 of 798 Old 07-06-2014, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I ordered my speakers from audiophile liquidator. After ordering I read bad reviews of the seller, but info was very old. I did not have any problems, but I'm sure they are not an authorized seller.
post #790 of 798 Old 07-07-2014, 01:15 PM

Liked: 55
martin-logan-motion-lx16-review-dark-cherry-front-rear.jpg
Quote:
they're probably off for the holidays and the price dropped again to $724 each so I jumped on it before price went up. I'm officially an owner of Martin Logan speaker set. Now to find 4 speakers for the rear and find a good deal for the motion 30 for the center....and of course a new reciever that can power them. happy 4th to everyone

it says the motion 2 is discontinued but i'm thinking if i find them i can get away with pairing them with the motion 40 front and motion 30 center instead of buying the motion 4.
Congrats on the Motion 40s ... they're a great pair of speakers !!!

Quote:
I was looking at the Martin Logan website and their recommended system (http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/systems.php) for the motion 40 fronts and motion 30 center is to use the motion fx for the surrounds. What are people here using for 5.1 or 7.1 systems with similar front/center? Are people using the motion 2, 4 or fx? I'm also wondering if for a 15x30' room I can get almost as good home movie experience with a 5.1 as 7.1 with one of the above setups
I enjoy my 5.1 and have no desire for 7.1 :-)

Quote:
thanks for the input. I'm still working on the room but it'll be two rows of seats only, about 4 seats each, with one row 12-13 feet back and another 14-15ft back. I imagine with good speaker placement getting two sets of motion 2 (for the side and rear) will be more cost effective than two sets of fx but may sound better than getting only 1 set of fx. I think that's what I'll do. The room has vaulted ceiling so in ceiling speakers are out. For your center, I listened to the motion 30 and it was crisp and clear. I ordered a factory reconditioned from audio advisor in case you're looking. I wouldn't have considered the 40's at present pricing but I got a deal for them at the price of the 20's
James' A:V rig.jpg
Amazon is currently selling the predecessor of the Motion 15 bookshelf speaker (and as Simp1yamazn states in the following post, the changes were basically cosmetic), the LX16, at a great price:

NEW in dark cherry for $240 per speaker

USED in drk cherry for $412 for a pair

NEW in piano black for $299 per speaker

I've had a pair of the LX16s complimenting my Motion 40s and 30, and they all sound great together.

My son's 3.1 rig consists of a pair of Motion 15s and an LX16 serving as the center channel, and

I just ordered a pair of new LX16s in dark cherry to replace my DefTech SM45s in my exercise room.
[ATTACH]martin-logan-motion-lx16-review-dark-cherry-front-rear.jpg[/ATTACH]

Compared to the Motion 2s and 4s, the LX16/Motion 15 bookshelf speakers are quite a bit more substantial, and at these prices, not much more expensive, if at all.

I was running an LX16 as my center channel for a while with my 40s in a 3.1 set up, and it did a fine job.

When first introduced to ML, my son and I listened to a pair of Motion 4s and a pair ofMotion 15s side by side ... the Motion 15 sounded so much fuller that I knew right away that I'd be buying James the Motion 15s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg martin-logan-motion-lx16-review-dark-cherry-angle-front.jpg (63.9 KB, 5 views)

MartinLogan Motion 40s / 30 / LX16s
Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
SVS PC12 Plus

exercise room:
MartinLogan LX16s / Dynamo700

Last edited by TomC1315; 07-07-2014 at 01:57 PM.
post #791 of 798 Old 07-07-2014, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 60
Very nice price. I wouldn't even really call it a predecessor as the Motion X16 are only a cosmetic change.
post #792 of 798 Old 07-07-2014, 01:28 PM

Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post
Very nice price. I wouldn't even really call it a predecessor as the Motion X16 are only a cosmetic change.
Yes ! You are correct sir !

MartinLogan Motion 40s / 30 / LX16s
Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
SVS PC12 Plus

exercise room:
MartinLogan LX16s / Dynamo700
post #793 of 798 Old 07-07-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC1315 View Post
Yes ! You are correct sir !

thanks for the advice, I'll certainly look into the lx16. 239 per speaker new also available from onecall.com which is an authorized dealer I believe. this seems like a pretty good deal considering the motion 4 is already 200 each.
post #794 of 798 Old 07-08-2014, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I have ESLs for fronts with a theater center and motion 10s for rears.
I am thinking about adding front heights are in ceiling good enough for that
post #795 of 798 Old 07-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post
I have ESLs for fronts with a theater center and motion 10s for rears.
I am thinking about adding front heights are in ceiling good enough for that
I would say that, yes in-ceiling are good enough for that with the caveat that I would say virtually any speaker is good enough for that. I know plenty of people who disagree with me, but my personal opinion is that height speakers give you the lowest return on investment. There are two reasons I feel this way:

1. The human ears are not nearly as good at judging where sounds come from in the vertical plane as they are in the horizontal plane. Because of this, effects from height speakers in my experience do not nearly add as much to the listening experience as front wides or back surrounds can. Honestly, many times I could not tell a difference when they were turned on or off

2. My understanding is that height speaker set-ups use dolby pro logic iiz. What this means is that the receiver receives a standard 5.1 or 7.1 track and simply upconverts it to include height channels so effects are the receivers interpretations and benefits will likely be minimal.

Because of this, I think I personally would only consider adding height channels after I already have a 7.2/9.2 fully set-up and then only if I have the vertical space to really separate the height channels. Now, dolby atmos looks to eliminate my second point with their object based surroundsound format. That being said, atmos was really created for the large move theaters and I suspect the benefits for home use will be much lower and you would need to buy a new receiver to take advantage of it. Even if atmos does make an impact, my first point still stands.

Ok, these are all my opinions based on my personal experiences in designing, selling, and overseeing custom HT systems.

If you do decide to go for height speakers, I would actually suggest not using in-ceiling if at all possible. In-ceiling speakers obviously send the sound down to the floor. When this happens, many of the height benefits are lost, the volume of the speakers will be absorbed into the carpet, you could end up with some echo effects, and typically sound quality is lower for in-ceilings. If I were doing heights, I would probably use something somewhat directional, fairly small, and just mounted as high up as possible. Didn't someone use the motion 2's for heights a while back?
post #796 of 798 Old 07-08-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mmmm well I am only at the 5.1 mark because sides are not possible to my left there is a opening into another small room.

So behind my seats I have motion 10s slanted in at 90 degree from my mlp.

So to go 7.1 what you suggest
post #797 of 798 Old 07-08-2014, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 51
+1 on 'Maz.
post #798 of 798 Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post
Mmmm well I am only at the 5.1 mark because sides are not possible to my left there is a opening into another small room.

So behind my seats I have motion 10s slanted in at 90 degree from my mlp.

So to go 7.1 what you suggest
What do you mean behind you at 90 degrees? I would probably look for some front wides if 7.1 with surrounds and surround backs isn't an option. The LX16 would be a nice wide speaker if you have somewhere to place them or get speaker stands.

Is there an aspect of your system that you are unsatisfied with and are trying to fix?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor 50 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page