Martin Logan Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #61 of 960 Old 03-21-2011, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have looking a martin logans but have yet to demo. Closest dealer is 2 hours away.

Can I ask two questions?

1. Have they solved the "sweet spot" issue? I have read about how the sound performance reduces if not seated in the sweet spot. We are always moving in our house and never really sitting and just listening to music. Im looking for something that sounds good but good from everywhere.

2. Must you have an amp to run the ethos? I guess I was trying to delay my purchase of an amp and spend my 4000 budget on speakers and then move into an amp. I picked ethos as they are powered and my 125w from my elite receiver would just run the panels.

any thoughts would be great appreciated..

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 960 Old 03-21-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post

I just got a pair of ML Souce for L/R and an Encore TF for center from Audio Advisor yesterday. The Source are amazing. I haven't had any time with the center yet, though I feel like I could've just used phantom center cuz vocals are dead center just in stereo. They aren't even broken in yet and they just make my jaw drop. The staging is huge and lifelike. Now I need to get my subs around.

They are a great deal right now at a few places, I have been thinking about a couple for my basement family room set up, my new sony 55nx810 has terrible sound. How are they on both music and movies and what equipment are you driving them with?

Mike
post #63 of 960 Old 03-21-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Just "discovered" Martin Logan and have been reading up on the Motion series (all my budget can handle), plus Amazon carries them for seemingly good prices.

Anyway, my question concerns the Motion 12. Can it be bi-amped? From the photos it seems it can't. I just want to be sure. It may make a difference in what AVR I would get if I decide to go with the MLs.

Thanks
Gene
Not sure about the bi amp question, doubt it though.

As for the AVR: any good quality mid line AVR should be enough to drive the Motion 12's. I would buy one that has pre-amp outs so you can add an amp down the road.

I am driving my Source speakers with an Onkyo RC270 and they sound awesome. Just have minor problems when I really crank them load. The Motion 12s shouldn't have that problem though.
post #64 of 960 Old 03-21-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merv43 View Post
They are a great deal right now at a few places, I have been thinking about a couple for my basement family room set up, my new sony 55nx810 has terrible sound. How are they on both music and movies and what equipment are you driving them with?
I am driving a pair of Source speakers with a Motion 6 center and a pair of Motion 2 as rear speakers. Using an Onkyo rc270 and everything works fine. The Source speakers could use a little bit more power for music, but for movies the Onkyo is more than enough.

Movies are a piece of cake compared to music. So if they sound good with music they should do great with movies and they do.
post #65 of 960 Old 03-21-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoJohn View Post
I am driving a pair of Source speakers with a Motion 6 center and a pair of Motion 2 as rear speakers. Using an Onkyo rc270 and everything works fine. The Source speakers could use a little bit more power for music, but for movies the Onkyo is more than enough.

Movies are a piece of cake compared to music. So if they sound good with music they should do great with movies and they do.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I just seen a press release about the new electromotion speakers for under 2 grand, I wounder what the difference is. Thanks again.

Mike
post #66 of 960 Old 03-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv43 View Post
I run my ML Source off a Marantz SR7200 receiver (110 watts @ 8ohms) and it drives them good. They can go louder than I listen to quite easily off this receiver. I'd say they're overall better for music than movies but they're no slouch for movies at all. I <3 the Source speakers. They're a little bass shy so a sub is recommended, I just need to get mine up and running...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #67 of 960 Old 03-21-2011, 10:22 PM

I am trying to decide if I should get the Encore-TF to be used as the surrounds. I like it for its placement flexibility (horizontal or vertical), bass response and cost. But I have a concern:

My L/C/R are not ML speakers and I am wondering if the Encore-TF will match the sound closely enough. My front speakers have a smooth, not bright sound. They use a silk dome tweeter.

Does the Encore-TF have a wide dispersion, so as not to be that noticeable compared to a standard monopole speaker (when used as a surround speaker)?

How would you characterize the sound of the Encore-TF?

Thanks,
Greg
post #68 of 960 Old 03-22-2011, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've just become aware of ML entry level speakers. The top of that range I believe is the Motion 12. About 1500/pr at Magnolia. I live in Alaska so auditioning is tough. I really want to check out the new Golden Ear Tritons, but none up here. Basically have two A/V stores plus BB/Magnolia, so choices are limited.

I'm wondering how the ML M12's would do for me as I currently have Paradigm Studio 40's and am looking at Golden Ear Tritons for the tweeter (same technology as these ML's) among other things. Would the ML's even compare? They have a great rep, but the price is quite different. Should I be looking at them at all given the above?

Thanks for thoughts

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

post #69 of 960 Old 03-24-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

I've just become aware of ML entry level speakers. The top of that range I believe is the Motion 12. About 1500/pr at Magnolia. I live in Alaska so auditioning is tough.

I auditioned a pair of those at Magnolia recently and they were okay at first, but fell flat compared to other speakers for me. The highs were very detailed, but fatiguing to listen to after even a short period. There was also something about them that always made me aware I was listening to a speaker rather than just music, so one could say there weren't as natural as I'd like.

I hope that wasn't too vague and subjective for you. Everyone's ears are different. They don't have a pair at your Magnolia? Check to see if they have the Motion 10. They don't sound as good as the 12s but may give you an idea of what sound that type of design will put out.
post #70 of 960 Old 03-24-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth View Post

I auditioned a pair of those at Magnolia recently and they were okay at first, but fell flat compared to other speakers for me. The highs were very detailed, but fatiguing to listen to after even a short period. There was also something about them that always made me aware I was listening to a speaker rather than just music, so one could say there weren't as natural as I'd like.

I hope that wasn't too vague and subjective for you. Everyone's ears are different. They don't have a pair at your Magnolia? Check to see if they have the Motion 10. They don't sound as good as the 12s but may give you an idea of what sound that type of design will put out.

Thanks. Actually, you confirm my impressions. I was surprised that my local Magnolia actually had them in stock, so I did get to listen to them and was not impressed. I had hoped this type of tweeter technology would offer smoother highs. Someday, I'll get to listen to the Golden Ear Tritons, either by traveling to the lower 48 or if one of the two AV shops here decide to carry them. They have the same tweeter technology, but those speakers are getting nothing by rave reviews all over the place.

The only higher end lines I have access to here are DefTech, B&W CM series, MartinLogan, some Energy (all at Magnolia) and B&W, Magnapan, Paradigm, Monitor Audio at the two A/V shops. Frustrating up here for audiophiles!

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

post #71 of 960 Old 03-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spineguy View Post

I have looking a martin logans but have yet to demo. Closest dealer is 2 hours away.

Can I ask two questions?

1. Have they solved the "sweet spot" issue? I have read about how the sound performance reduces if not seated in the sweet spot. We are always moving in our house and never really sitting and just listening to music. Im looking for something that sounds good but good from everywhere.

No.

The issues is not that bad. Some read the problme to mean if your out of the sweet spot it sounds like crap.

What happens is the image pulls to one side or the other if your off center, (you lose the solid center image) and there can be slight tonal changes based your ear height.

Off center (out of the sweet spot) the speakers sound great. Inside the sweet spot they sound beautiful.

I have found this with both the Summit X and the Vista.
post #72 of 960 Old 03-27-2011, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
amazon is running a special promo with 4 Motion 2's and a motion 6 center and a Yamaha Rx567 AV receiver for less than 900.

Is the reciever decent enough to drive the speakers. I mainly watch Blu ray movies with 5.1 sound at lower to mid volume levels.

Any advice and opinions are welcome.

Thanks

Baby, remember...It's my life and I'll do what I want!
post #73 of 960 Old 08-26-2011, 08:21 PM

Anyone here own Motion 4's? I'm a former Magnepan owner but no longer have the room for them. I'm thinking about doing a surround system with 4 Motion 4's , a Motion 6, and the little Dynamo sub. Anyone heard this system? My nearest dealer is 2 hours away and only barely mentions ML on their website (but sells Bose, Sony, JVC and is primarilly a TV dealer) so I'm doubtful I'd be able to get a decent demo.

Bud
post #74 of 960 Old 08-27-2011, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dickman View Post

Anyone here own Motion 4's? I'm a former Magnepan owner but no longer have the room for them. I'm thinking about doing a surround system with 4 Motion 4's , a Motion 6, and the little Dynamo sub. Anyone heard this system? My nearest dealer is 2 hours away and only barely mentions ML on their website (but sells Bose, Sony, JVC and is primarilly a TV dealer) so I'm doubtful I'd be able to get a decent demo.

Bud

I work for a martin logan dealer (8+ years now, no damn messages from anyone asking for deals please!!) and have sold this system MANY times. I haven't had any complaints yet, that is for sure. I don't really care for them for music personally as I like a warm relaxed sound but for HT, I think they are awesome for the price/size.
I actually use a pair of motion4s as rears in my personal theater setup with three Fresco-i's as fronts and a Depth-i subwoofer
post #75 of 960 Old 08-29-2011, 05:53 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rick View Post

I work for a martin logan dealer (8+ years now, no damn messages from anyone asking for deals please!!) and have sold this system MANY times. I haven't had any complaints yet, that is for sure. I don't really care for them for music personally as I like a warm relaxed sound but for HT, I think they are awesome for the price/size.
I actually use a pair of motion4s as rears in my personal theater setup with three Fresco-i's as fronts and a Depth-i subwoofer

"This combo of speakers is my answer to 'state of the art' bass and integration. Martin Logan Summits (woofers not used) along side of Magneplanar Tympani IV bass panels (modified).

With the addition of the Eminent Technology TRW-17 rotary subwoofer, the bass is stunning in power, impact, and transient response which rivals them all. After 50 years of being an audiophile, this speaker system gives me everything I ever wanted for a truly realistic presentation with depth, imaging, huge sound-stage, low level detail, ambience, and with coherence (all the speakers work extremely well in this area.) My room is 29' long x 19' wide x 11' high cathedral ceiling, with fabulous acoustics (36 ASC bass and mid range traps, GIK bass traps and other diffusers.

All equipment is mounted in a sand filled enclosure on a separate concrete foundation in a control room for superb isolation and is wonderful for access to all wiring. A center Martin Logan electrostatic speaker is used and 8 rear and side speakers provide a realistic surround field that is stunning in giving one the feeling there in the hall (venue) where the recording was made."
LL
post #76 of 960 Old 10-18-2011, 05:26 PM

Lets keep this thread alive. Just reacievex my ML motion 12s from newegg, might get another pair. From BB i purchased the Motion 8 center, Motion 4 and Vsx52. Love it and others feel the same. Still looking for a sub, trying to stay ML all the way. Maybe Dynomo 700 or even a 1000.

I might get the Purities because of the built in amp and subs. But if i can find a decent pre amp might get the ML source,s. Any advice?
post #77 of 960 Old 10-18-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML13GT View Post

Lets keep this thread alive. Just reacievex my ML motion 12s from newegg, might get another pair. From BB i purchased the Motion 8 center, Motion 4 and Vsx52. Love it and others feel the same. Still looking for a sub, trying to stay ML all the way. Maybe Dynomo 700 or even a 1000.

I might get the Purities because of the built in amp and subs. But if i can find a decent pre amp might get the ML source,s. Any advice?

Do whatever SVS you can afford...

Thanx,
Bill
post #78 of 960 Old 10-18-2011, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
ML13GT

I purchased 2 Dynamo 500s off newegg they dropped the prices on them and only had 7 left I bought 2 So down to 5 and thats not if anyone else has purchased yet. I wanted to stay all ML as well .. Lots of people disagree with the decision but for the price I got them for I dont think they can be beat..

I plan on running 6 Motion 12s 2 Dynamo 500s and A Motion C center
post #79 of 960 Old 10-21-2011, 06:20 PM

Hello Martin Logan owners,

I was wondering if anyone of you had any particular experience with the Martin Logan 300?

I can not seem to find a review anywhere on this sub, but its bigger brothers 500/700 seem to do pretty well, I was wondering if anybody knew if the 300 is of similar build/design as the 500/700 in quality?
post #80 of 960 Old 11-07-2011, 05:04 AM

Hello
I found a pair of ml vantages for a great price, however my room is only 12 by 16; would this be overkill for my room? Next in line are the esl's but there really is no comparison IMO.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you
post #81 of 960 Old 11-07-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybeek View Post

The newer models are easier to drive and
You will have less chance of age problems.
There should be no problem with room siZe
As long you can place with symetry.

Thank you so much for such a quick response.
I think as far as placement is concerned i should be ok.
I would think this should be a no brainer for the price i found them for but I will then I would need a center, the stage I think should do well but surrounds?
The esl's have the em2 i believe and fx2 for surrounds.

I should say I'm 75% ht 25% music, and my current setup consists of ml motions 4's 10's, center 8 hsu vtf15, all powered respectively with a pioneer vsx32 which I hopefully plan to upgrade in the next few months.
I not sure what to do here, I know I don't have much time though.
Any ideas?
post #82 of 960 Old 11-07-2011, 08:35 AM

Haven't crossed the threshold into amps yet. I knew sooner or later it would happen. I heard them with an upper end marantz and sounded amazing.
post #83 of 960 Old 11-27-2011, 09:25 PM

Hello,

I was looking for a pair of "high end" speakers because I listen to music more than HT watching. I auditioned a bunch of different speakers and finally settled on the Summit X. In a word, the stage presence the speaker has is breathtaking. It actually makes you think the music is right there in front of you, live. Also, there was a noticeable difference (at least to me) in the sound of the speakers after the recommended 80 hours of break-in time. Several months ago I then purchased the stage for my center channel speaker (I was using a legacy center channel speaker) and the smoothness the three speakers has when I watch movies is out of this world. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with ML speakers.
post #84 of 960 Old 11-28-2011, 06:17 PM

Liked: 12
wow great system man.. i saw the ml owners site and had a question but my system is just a very basic starter system but i was wondering if you if th new MLT-2 starter system i just bought s voice matched to the 2 motion 10s towers i just bought thanks
post #85 of 960 Old 11-28-2011, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcincotta View Post

Hello,

I was looking for a pair of "high end" speakers because I listen to music more than HT watching. I auditioned a bunch of different speakers and finally settled on the Summit X. In a word, the stage presence the speaker has is breathtaking. It actually makes you think the music is right there in front of you, live. Also, there was a noticeable difference (at least to me) in the sound of the speakers after the recommended 80 hours of break-in time. Several months ago I then purchased the stage for my center channel speaker (I was using a legacy center channel speaker) and the smoothness the three speakers has when I watch movies is out of this world. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with ML speakers.

Very nice. I bought a pair of SL3's locally (too try out ML now Iam hooked) and I agree with what you are saying about the sound ML are wonderful. What surrounds are you using?

Brad
post #86 of 960 Old 11-29-2011, 11:26 AM

Liked: 14
Glad I found this thread. And I did go and register on the Martin Logan Owners website. Still surprised that there isn't one here on AVS but anyway, I am the proud new owner of the electro-static base model : Electro-Motion series ESL speakers, along with the Electro-Motion C2 center speaker (currently on back-order as they are recently new) and the Dynamo 700 subwoofer.

I primarily listen to TV (Sports, Movies, general local channel programs) but do like to listen to music from my iPod. And for music it sounds great. Not sure why people say they are good/not good for either one or the other (i.e. music or movies). But I like them a lot.

But I would like an opinion or thoughts. I was recommended on a receiver from the sales rep at Magnolia Audio Video, from the one I was thinking of (Denon 3311Ci) to the one he suggested which I eventually bought (Marantz SR7005). Is this a good match of receiver and speakers?

Thanks.
post #87 of 960 Old 11-29-2011, 06:11 PM

Has anyone listened to the Motion LX16s? I have a pair on the way to use along with a Motion C. I am running a Yamaha RX-a3000. I liked the Motion 4s I auditioned, but couldn't find the LX16s anywhere in stock so I just ordered them online. Curious also if anyone has issues driving these speakers with a higher end AVR?
post #88 of 960 Old 11-29-2011, 06:31 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC330i View Post

Has anyone listened to the Motion LX16s?

For what position are you buying these speakers for? I actually looked online at those and thought they would be good to turn my 3.1 into a 5.1 (thus would be my rear left and right surround speakers).
post #89 of 960 Old 11-29-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaramill View Post

For what position are you buying these speakers for? I actually looked online at those and thought they would be good to turn my 3.1 into a 5.1 (thus would be my rear left and right surround speakers).

I am planning to use the LX16 as Fronts (L and R) in a 3.1 system to start. Soon I will be adding rears to round out a 5.1 setup. I also have a Hsu Sub (STF-2 10") which I LOVE.

I really liked the Motion 4s, but felt they were just a bit thin in the lower midrange compared to some 5.25" bookshelf speakers (B&W) I compared them to. I thought these LX16s might be a be a good compromise because I really liked the ribbon tweeter.

I have really tight space requirements for my mains (as well as WAF concerns). It's a shame because budget is not really a concern. As a result of space and WAF, I really needed my bookshelf speakers to be 6.5" wide or less. I wanted to get up to a 5.25" woofer if I could, and it is really tough to find a 5.25" woofer in a bookshelf speaker that narrow. There were a few other nice speakers that fit the bill on width, but the matching center channel speaker was either too big, or too ugly (IMO) for me to consider. I liked the Motion C's size and aesthetics, and of course that great ribbon tweeter to match the LX16s.

I am planning Helos 20s in ceilings for my rears, although motion 4s are also a possibility. I currently have all the ceiling drywall out in my listening room, so in-ceilings are going to be easy. Wife is not crazy about rears on wall, and the room is not set up well as there is a sliding glass door where my left rear should go. I figured the 2 Helos 20s set up with their 2 sets of terminals bridged (left rear surround going to both terminals on one speaker, and right rear surround going to both terminals on the other) would give me a wider dispersion for surround which might be nice.

One of my main concerns is that the room is fairly bright acoustically, (wood floors with rug and windows and slider on back wall) so I hope I don't end up with too bright of a setup... I guess I will have to wait and see.

I am also a little concerned about driving the LXs and C with my Yamaha RX-A3000, as the LXs are 5 ohm and the C is 4 ohm. Hopefully I won't have issues. The Helos 20s are also 4 ohm, but bridged they are 8 ohm.

I do plan to run the Helos 20s bridged (as described above), although I have thought about using them to create a 7.1 setup by hooking up my side surround leads to one set of terminals and the rear surround leads to the other terminals. Curious if anyone has done this?
post #90 of 960 Old 12-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Hi, just auditioned the ML Electromotion speakers and was quite impressed! I have Monitor Audio RS series speakers right and thinking of a change, although it's hard to get a feel for speakers in a store.
Anybody have experience with this model? The pair I listened to were at Future Shop here in Canada (Best Buy) They have carried the motion series for a while, which I dislike, but the Electromotion were very involving and these were only driven by a sub 1K Yamaha rec.
cheers
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor 50 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page