Martin Logan Owners Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #901 of 911 Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just get the cheapest 10 gauge you can find, they all sound the same.

Samsung UN60ES8000, MartinLogan Theos & Stage, B&M CM9 surrounds, Denon 3313, Roku 3, AppleTV, Chromecast, PS4 (SubSolar), Xbox One (SubSolar0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 911 Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Motion 4s

Hi,

I'm looking for a speaker and the guy at BB has suggested ML Motion 4s and 8s. My room size is 19x19x22. Will these speakers be able to fill it up with the highs and lows still clear?

Thanks!
post #903 of 911 Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSolar View Post
Just get the cheapest 10 gauge you can find, they all sound the same.
^ +1. Blue Jeans may save you a few bucks.
post #904 of 911 Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1pid7 View Post
I'm looking for a speaker and the guy at BB has suggested ML Motion 4s and 8s. My room size is 19x19x22. Will these speakers be able to fill it up with the highs and lows still clear
Thanks!
That is a big space to fill. What are the floors, walls, windows and ceilings like in your space, and what are the furniture, curtains, and acoustic features in the room?
post #905 of 911 Old Today, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks!

Currently I have MIT One Wire CMR RG-59, done by the man who sold me the system years ago, and it's still working. But all the connectors looks fragile after many moves.
I am in Europe so Blue Jeans might not be easy..

So, basically I just go out and get some 10 gauge cable, and it will work fine.
post #906 of 911 Old Today, 01:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 48
10 gauge is a bit of overkill. It really depends on how long of run you need.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

FWIW I run 12 gauge to my LCR (I wanted a little bit of the thick cable look when I bought it, now I don't really care as long as it gets the job done), 14 gauge for my surrounds, rear surrounds, and subwoofers.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #907 of 911 Old Today, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks Tch0rT! Your HT looks very nice
post #908 of 911 Old Today, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1290 View Post
I joined avsforum for this reason.
And now I have replaced Classe SSP25 with Marantz SR7008.

I am thinking to replace speaker cables as they are quite old as well. What kind of cable would go well with my speakers?

Thank you!

Jim
I'm sure there will be plenty of debate about speaker cables ranging anything from Home Depot extension cords to mega buck snake oil.

Believe what you want but I have to say I have been really happy with the Clear Day speaker cables I purchased. They are very reasonably priced and as long as you can use a 8 foot pair, Paul the owner will send you out a pair to demo at no cost to you. He was awesome to work with and I can't recommend highly enough.

I'd check and see if he has any trade back cables, as that's what I purchased and saved some $$. Allot of customers work their way up the line and he'll take them back as credit toward the next model up. I'm considering doing this soon myself.
post #909 of 911 Old Today, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello everyone,
I am new to this thread and i apologize if questions like mine have already been asked.

I currently have a small setup of Martin Logan which i have been slowly purchasing.
Front L/R: Purity
SB L/R: Montage
Center: Matinee
Sub: Klipsch Rw12d

Now i want to make it a 7.1 system but i am not sure what speakers I need.
I was thinking of:

Front L/R: Purity
Surround L/R: Montage
SB L/R: ?
Center: Matinee
Sub: Klipsch Rw12d

For the SB i was thinking of small Martin Logan bookshelf speakers but i am not sure which ones or what route i should take.
I didn't want to mix too many speakers so i wanted to know everyone's thoughts.
post #910 of 911 Old Today, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post
10 gauge is a bit of overkill. It really depends on how long of run you need.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

FWIW I run 12 gauge to my LCR (I wanted a little bit of the thick cable look when I bought it, now I don't really care as long as it gets the job done), 14 gauge for my surrounds, rear surrounds, and subwoofers.
Not sure if he's running electrostats or not but some of the ML's go down to 0.9 ohm I believe, which is off the chart. That's why I got some 8 gauge for my Theos. Probably overkill, could've gotten away with 10 gauge.

Samsung UN60ES8000, MartinLogan Theos & Stage, B&M CM9 surrounds, Denon 3313, Roku 3, AppleTV, Chromecast, PS4 (SubSolar), Xbox One (SubSolar0)
post #911 of 911 Old Today, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawilbur View Post
I am considering purchasing two Ethos speakers, and would like help from those who are more exerienced with ML speakers. The room is approximately 20 X24', and about 12' in height. It will be used for tv/movie and music. Considerations are:
1) Would you use a center channel speaker, and surrounds? Which? We were at a dealer on Saturday who seemed to think the two Ethos could handle the entire front.
2) I know ML states you don't have to get crazy with the amplification. I would like to keep it simple and use a good receiver. Any recommendations?
3) My wife is not a big fan of subwoofers. I was thinking that the powered woofer of the Ethos would be sufficient. Have others gone this route?
1. Absolutely use a center. Yes, as others have mentioned that you can use a phantom center but having a real center really brings movies to life. Surrounds are nice, but to me a center is significantly more important
2. A decent denon, marantz, or yamaha would be fine. I've used a couple of Denons and they have been my favorite so far but all have been fine.
3. What is it about subwoofers that she does not like? Is it the size? The look? Too loud? If it's an aesthetic thing, then really all you can do is look for a better looking sub or build your own and make it into furniture, like an endtable or something. However, if it's that she doesn't like them to be too loud or boomy then realistically, she probably hasn't ever heard a good sub that is properly set-up. My opinion is that subs shouldn't be heard. What I mean by that is that the sub will improve the perceived sound quality of all the other speakers in your system. They are meant to fill out the bottom registers that speakers, even Ethos with powered woofers, can't reproduce. You also shouldn't really be able to tell where the sub is located. Subs should really only be used to reproduce sounds below your level of directional hearing (around 80 hz for most people). Also keep in mind that rooms effect different frequencies is various ways. This means that separating mids and highs from your bass will allow optimal placement and further improve sound quality. There are very very very very very very very very few speakers in the world that will not get a substantial benefit from integrating a good sub.

TLDR: subs are not about volume, they are about improving sound quality and all set-ups need one (or more)
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor 50 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page