Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #961 of 976 Old 09-18-2014, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I haven't heard either but I'd go with the Ethos over the Ascent I. The Ascent I are a bit older and they're from the era of stats that the panels eventually fail and cost a lot to replace. Also the newer ones the panel and woofer integrate better from what I understand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 976 Old 09-19-2014, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone,

It's all about ML speakers, and I apologize if I post it in the wrong place.

My system bought more than 10 years ago...
Front: ML SL3, Center: ML Cinema, Rear: ML Script, SW: Rel Storm III.
AMP: Classe CAV-150, Preamp/Pro: Classe SSP-25.

Recently I replaced SSP-25 with Marantz SR7008, I only use pre-out on the SR7008.
and while reconnecting and setup I found out that the center channel is bi amped.
I know nothing to very little about HT, I just reconnected all the necessary cables like the man who sold me the system.

During reading avsforum I understand a little bit about bi amp, that's how I found out about my center channel has been bi amped.

My question is should I use the CAV-150 to power the FL, FR, Center, as it can be set to either use 6 channels or 3 channels, and use the SR7008 to power the two rear channels?
Will bi amp makes those ML speakers perform better?

Thank you all for your time.

Jim
post #963 of 976 Old 09-19-2014, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1290 View Post
Hello everyone,

It's all about ML speakers, and I apologize if I post it in the wrong place.

My system bought more than 10 years ago...
Front: ML SL3, Center: ML Cinema, Rear: ML Script, SW: Rel Storm III.
AMP: Classe CAV-150, Preamp/Pro: Classe SSP-25.

Recently I replaced SSP-25 with Marantz SR7008, I only use pre-out on the SR7008.
and while reconnecting and setup I found out that the center channel is bi amped.
I know nothing to very little about HT, I just reconnected all the necessary cables like the man who sold me the system.

During reading avsforum I understand a little bit about bi amp, that's how I found out about my center channel has been bi amped.

My question is should I use the CAV-150 to power the FL, FR, Center, as it can be set to either use 6 channels or 3 channels, and use the SR7008 to power the two rear channels?
Will bi amp makes those ML speakers perform better?

Thank you all for your time.

Jim
Hi Jim,

You will get differing opinions on bi-amping and bi-wiring depending on who you ask so here's mine. One thing to keep in mind is that you would be passively bi-amping. Basically, you might be able to get a little bit more volume, but unless you are pushing the limits of what your amp can handle, no you will not get any benefit. Because you are still relying on the internal crossover, the drivers will be getting the exact se signal that they would get without bi-amping.
post #964 of 976 Old 09-19-2014, 08:30 AM

Thank you simp1

Now I understand a bit better so I think I just keep the current settings, 5 channels using the amp and use the pre-out from SR7008. Perhaps add more speakers in the near future.
post #965 of 976 Old 09-19-2014, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

The SL3's are bi-amp compatible but the Cinema isn't that I know of. Got pics of the back of it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #966 of 976 Old 09-19-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by mepstein10 View Post
Having a hard time deciding between two ML electrostatic towers. Thought best to ask the ones most familiar with ML speakers

I am trying to decide between the Martin Logan Ascent i and the Martin Logan Ethos. I found a great deal for both of them, but having a hard time choosing. Both are being sold for about half of MSRP (ascent i dark cherry -$2000, Ethos - $3600). Both are in excellent condition and come with everything, no scratches, damage, etc.

Can anyone give me advice regarding these two?
I have a pair of SL3 in mint condition I will sell... they are a step up from the Ascent I. I would keep them but I have no room for them hence the picture of them in our shop.
post #967 of 976 Old 09-19-2014, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Glad to say I can finally join this club. It's all Craigslist's fault really, I was mulling around for a reciever and came across some old Scenarios for too good a deal to pass up. Those got me researching which resulted in my buying some ESL's and putting the Scenarios back on Craigslist (still trying to sell them). Now I'm on the hunt for a Motif X and some FX2's, maybe some day a Descent, who knows.

I've been a fan since I sold them 10 years ago, but never thought I'd be in a position to afford them. It's slow going, piece by piece, but I'm getting there.

Wouldn't mind some advice while I'm at it. I bought a NAD T-758 to drive these hungry buggers, but I've been largely disappointed in its performance. Now I'm looking at an Emotiva XPA-5 and UMC 200 hoping the more appropriate wattage will help me out (plus adding center and surrounds of course). I know this is 'generally' heading in the right direction, but any specific direction I can get to save me from spending further money on the wrong items, would be appreciated.

EDIT: Holy crap I just saw the Neolith on page 31! There is a puddle of drool at the foot of my office chair! Now I just need to win the lottery or some other legal means of instant wealth. ;-)

Living Room - NAD T758 || Martin Logan ESL - Motif X - FX2 || Velodyne DEQ-12r || Oppo BDP 103 || PS4 - XIM4 || Samsung UN60H7150
Den - Maximus V Extreme || i7 3770K w/ H100i || 128Gb Samsung 840 pro - OS || 512Gb Samsung 840 Pro - Games || 3TB Caviar Black || Evga 680 FTW || X-Fi HD || Silent Pro 1000w || Dell U3011 || Marantz SR5003 || Axiom M22 - VP100 - M3 || Velodyne DEQ-10r

Last edited by Frraksurred; 09-19-2014 at 07:18 PM.
post #968 of 976 Old 09-19-2014, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

How exactly are you disappointed in the performance? How big is your room? An XPA-5 will just make them louder. If you have the room you should use the Scenarios as surrounds and the FX2's for back surrounds if you keep your NAD.

I used to use an old Marantz receiver that has the same wattage as your NAD and later added a Marantz MM9000 amp (slightly less power than a XPA-5) and it was only just a tad bit louder than the receiver. A tad bit more dynamic but everything else was the same really.

post #969 of 976 Old 09-19-2014, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frraksurred View Post
.. I came across ... some ESL's and ... bought a NAD T-758 to drive these hungry buggers, but I've been largely disappointed in its performance. Now I'm looking at an Emotiva XPA-5 and UMC 200 hoping the more appropriate wattage will help ...
Sounds like a fun hunt you're working on, and you'll get some good ideas here. But before anyone can help a whole bunch, you might need to describe your room geometry, cubic feet, surfaces, and the length and gauge of the speaker wires you are running. Not knowing any of that won't stop us from "helping", but it sure will help. ✌️

Last edited by mogrub; 09-20-2014 at 08:26 AM.
post #970 of 976 Old 09-20-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post
The SL3's are bi-amp compatible but the Cinema isn't that I know of. Got pics of the back of it?
What he did was bridged CAV-150's channel 3 and 4, and he connected Cinema's "+" to channel 3 "+" & Cinema's "-" to channel 4 "+".
I don't know if I explained correctly. Perhaps I misunderstand completely the whole thing about bi-amp!
post #971 of 976 Old 09-21-2014, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have ML Edge for fronts, center and Motion R's for surround. Just received my new Yamaha 3040. These two systems do so well together.
post #972 of 976 Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Need advice on buying ML from third party (unauthorized) sellers

Hello folks,

I'm not a current ML owner, but want to be one! I just asked a question here at the speaker forum (with the title: "Need advice on buying from unauthorized dealer"), and your help would be really appreciated
post #973 of 976 Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmen View Post
Hello folks,

I'm not a current ML owner, but want to be one! I just asked a question here at the speaker forum (with the title: "Need advice on buying from unauthorized dealer"), and your help would be really appreciated
I answered in your other thread.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #974 of 976 Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello folks,

Audiophile liquidators, never had a problem with them.
post #975 of 976 Old Today, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Hello folks, I'm not a current ML owner, but want to be one! I just asked a question here at the speaker forum (with the title: "Need advice on buying from unauthorized dealer"), and your help would be really appreciated
Er, um, unauthorized dealers are great until you need warranty service. You don't get any ML warranty coverage at all when you buy ML product from an unauthorized dealer. That's the major elephant in the room buying product that way.

Last time I checked, forum sponsor AV Science (see Mike and and Craig Peer's recent emails) is an authorized ML dealer. Their service, support and pricing are excellent. There is really no incentive to roll the dice on an unauthorized dealer, even a "good one".

My new Stage-X arrived several months back with a major issue. That's rare, but it can happen. AV Science handled everything without question, and a brand new one, fully functional Stage-X arrived asap.

If I'd rolled the dice on an unauthorized dealer to buy that speaker, the experience would have been painful and expensive, instead of painless and free. I'd at least PM or call the AV Science guys, confirm they are authorized, and check what they can do for you. It'll take 5 minutes. Better to know than guess. My guess is you'll come out ahead in every way if you do that.

We now return you to your regular programming.
TomC1315 likes this.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #976 of 976 Old Today, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Er, um, unauthorized dealers are great until you need warranty service. You don't get any ML warranty coverage at all when you buy ML product from an unauthorized dealer. That's the major elephant in the room buying product that way.

Last time I checked, forum sponsor AV Science (see Mike and and Craig Peer's recent emails) is an authorized ML dealer. Their service, support and pricing are excellent. There is really no incentive to roll the dice on an unauthorized dealer, even a "good one".

My new Stage-X arrived several months back with a major issue. That's rare, but it can happen. AV Science handled everything without question, and a brand new one, fully functional Stage-X arrived asap.

If I'd rolled the dice on an unauthorized dealer to buy that speaker, the experience would have been painful and expensive, instead of painless and free. I'd at least PM or call the AV Science guys, confirm they are authorized, and check what they can do for you. It'll take 5 minutes. Better to know than guess. My guess is you'll come out ahead in every way if you do that.

We now return you to your regular programming.

Thanks. Besides being authorized dealers, I bought a full 11 channels worth on Martin Logan speakers for my own home theater. Give us a call to discuss, or, if you are in the Northern California area ( where I'm based out of ), you are more than welcome to come demo the Motion Series speakers in my home theater.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor 50 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page