Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #991 of 1127 Old 09-26-2014, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question:

I just found a pair of excellent condition Martin Logan Aerius i (w/factory bi-wire option) for $600 from Craigslist.

Is this a worth to try? Never owned ML before.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1127 Old 09-26-2014, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 67
$600 is a good price for them, but just keep in mind they are pretty old at this point. Any way of finding out the manufacture date? They could be up to 18 years old at this point and I'd be concerned that panel replacement is in the near future. I think if you can get the serial numbers you can get ML to tell you when they were manufactured.
post #993 of 1127 Old 09-26-2014, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post
How exactly are you disappointed in the performance? How big is your room? An XPA-5 will just make them louder. If you have the room you should use the Scenarios as surrounds and the FX2's for back surrounds if you keep your NAD.

I used to use an old Marantz receiver that has the same wattage as your NAD and later added a Marantz MM9000 amp (slightly less power than a XPA-5) and it was only just a tad bit louder than the receiver. A tad bit more dynamic but everything else was the same really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Sounds like a fun hunt you're working on, and you'll get some good ideas here. But before anyone can help a whole bunch, you might need to describe your room geometry, cubic feet, surfaces, and the length and gauge of the speaker wires you are running. Not knowing any of that won't stop us from "helping", but it sure will help. ✌️
Sorry for not responding earlier, my company is in the middle of a new software roll-out, making free time a premium.

This setup is in the upstairs of an open floor layout Ranch style house, meaning the layout SUCKS for acoustics. Though my seating area is only about 11' from the speakers, the over all room is 28' long and 23' wide. Behind the seating area is a dining room and open kitchen, a stairway to the basement is off to the right side. The walls jut in and out as it moves into the dining area. I can't even place my seating in the sweet spot because it would be in the main walkway to the Kitchen. It's horrible, but it is temporary. When I finish my basement I will have a much more controlled environment. For now however I must make do.

For wiring I am using 10' runs of 8 gauge AudioQuest (technically it is 4x16, I just twisted the leads together into pairs).

As far as my disappointment in the NAD goes, it goes into protection mode frequently. In my mind I haven't even gotten to reference level volumes yet and the amp will shut down. It also outputs nearly zero volume to my sub, no matter how I set it. My speakers are set to large, sub is on, x-over @80hz and though I hate using "bass boost", even with it on none of my subs produce much bass at all. The speaker barely moves, no noticeable bass comes out of them, yet they both perform 'normally' hooked to my Marantz with the same settings. The amp makes the ML's sound great, don't get me wrong, it just seems to run out of gas before I get to that "awed" feeling during a movie or soundtrack.

For the record, I have input distances for each of my speakers in the setup menu, but I have not hooked up the Audessy and run it. I could try that.

I appreciate the help all, thanks for the replies!

Living Room - Emotiva UMC-200 || Emotiva XPA-5 || Martin Logan ESL - Motif X - Scenarios || Velodyne DEQ-12r || Oppo BDP 103 || PS4 - XIM4 || Samsung UN65H7150

Gaming Room - Maximus V Extreme || i7 3770K w/ H100i || 128Gb Samsung 840 pro - OS || 512Gb Samsung 840 Pro - Games || 3TB Caviar Black || Evga 680 FTW || X-Fi HD || Silent Pro 1000w || Dell U3011 || Marantz SR5003 || Axiom M22 - VP100 - M3 || Velodyne DEQ-10r

Last edited by Frraksurred; 09-26-2014 at 04:42 PM.
post #994 of 1127 Old 09-26-2014, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frraksurred View Post
Sorry for not responding earlier, my company is in the middle of a new software roll-out, making free time a premium.

This setup is in the upstairs of an open floor layout Ranch style house, meaning the layout SUCKS for acoustics. Though my seating area is only about 11' from the speakers, the over all room is 28' long and 23' wide. Behind the seating area is a dining room and open kitchen, a stairway to the basement is off to the right side. The walls jut in and out as it moves into the dining area. I can't even place my seating in the sweet spot because it would be in the main walkway to the Kitchen. It's horrible, but it is temporary. When I finish my basement I will have a much more controlled environment. For now however I must make do.

For wiring I am using 10' runs of 8 gauge AudioQuest (technically it is 4x16, I just twisted the leads together into pairs).

As far as my disappointment in the NAD goes, it goes into protection mode frequently. In my mind I haven't even gotten to reference level volumes yet and the amp will shut down. It also outputs nearly zero volume to my sub, no matter how I set it. My speakers are set to large, sub is on, x-over @80hz and though I hate using "bass boost", even with it on none of my subs produce much bass at all. The speaker barely moves, no noticeable bass comes out of them, yet they both perform 'normally' hooked to my Marantz with the same settings. The amp makes the ML's sound great, don't get me wrong, it just seems to run out of gas before I get to that "awed" feeling during a movie or soundtrack.

For the record, I have input distances for each of my speakers in the setup menu, but I have not hooked up the Audessy and run it. I could try that.

I appreciate the help all, thanks for the replies!

Did you try settings speakers to small?
post #995 of 1127 Old 09-26-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSolar View Post
Yes, no improvement. In fact as I understand it, setting them to small turns off the sub out.

Living Room - Emotiva UMC-200 || Emotiva XPA-5 || Martin Logan ESL - Motif X - Scenarios || Velodyne DEQ-12r || Oppo BDP 103 || PS4 - XIM4 || Samsung UN65H7150

Gaming Room - Maximus V Extreme || i7 3770K w/ H100i || 128Gb Samsung 840 pro - OS || 512Gb Samsung 840 Pro - Games || 3TB Caviar Black || Evga 680 FTW || X-Fi HD || Silent Pro 1000w || Dell U3011 || Marantz SR5003 || Axiom M22 - VP100 - M3 || Velodyne DEQ-10r
post #996 of 1127 Old 09-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
... As far as my disappointment in the NAD goes it ... outputs nearly zero volume to my sub, no matter how I set it ... even with Bass Boost on none of my subs produce much bass at all. The speaker barely moves, no noticeable bass comes out of them, yet they both perform 'normally' hooked to my Marantz with the same settings.
Just trying to understand on this bass issue first -- you have hooked up the Marantz in this same room with the same cabling, and with the Marantz the subs perform, but with the NAD they don't -- is that correct?
post #997 of 1127 Old 09-27-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Just trying to understand on this bass issue first -- you have hooked up the Marantz in this same room with the same cabling, and with the Marantz the subs perform, but with the NAD they don't -- is that correct?
Not exactly. I have a system in my den as well, where the Marantz lives. My 10" velo is normally in there. I have swapped the 10 and the 12 on several occasions. I have also swapped power and signal wiring in case I had a short. I have bought new signal cable 'just in case'. In all scenarios the subs work fine on the Marantz and not at all on the NAD. I also recently ran the Audessy and during the speaker test, nothing came out of the sub. I have tried this 3 times, swapping out cabling and the 10 & 12" subs. The amp will not output to sub no matter how I configure it in the NAD's setup menu. However, the first 2 weeks I owned the amp, it output to sub just fine. Then the amp fried in my 12" and I had to have it repaired. I thought it was just the sub, but both subs are noticeably hotter when hooked to the NAD, than when hooked to the Marantz, even when the sub is turned OFF.

I have spoken to NAD about this and they want me to drive 121 miles to my nearest "authorized dealer" and have it tested. With the software rollout I mentioned earlier, it is going to be a few weeks before I will have time to do this.

Last edited by Frraksurred; 09-27-2014 at 10:08 AM.
post #998 of 1127 Old 09-27-2014, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, no improvement. In fact as I understand it, setting them to small turns off the sub out.
Actually exactly the opposite. Setting your speakers to large will pretty much disable your sub. The way you have them set up now with the front left and right set to "large" mean NO bass from the front channels are getting routed to the sub. You would only be getting the .1 lfe channel and bass routed from the center channel (wait, do you have a center yet?) and the rears. It is extremely rare that you would ever set speakers to large, usually only if you have a 2.0 system. I would run audyssey first, the check and make sure all speakers are set to small and put your crossover at 80 hz.

Large or small for speaker set up just indicates whether or not the low frequencies for that channel are sent to the subwoofer. Unless you have an appallingly weak sub, you want all speakers set to small until you buy a better sub.
wase4711 likes this.
post #999 of 1127 Old 09-28-2014, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Yes, set fronts to small and crossover at 80 if you have a sub. I have a denon 5200 and it sets my Theos fronts to large and crossover at 40. I change it to small and 80. Seaton Submersive sounds good.

Samsung 85" 4K, Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 with MartinLogan Theos, Stage, Motion 15, EM-R, Seaton Submersive F2, Denon AVR-X5200W
post #1000 of 1127 Old 09-30-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, set fronts to small and crossover at 80 if you have a sub. I have a denon 5200 and it sets my Theos fronts to large and crossover at 40. I change it to small and 80. Seaton Submersive sounds good.
Thanks for the reply, but like I mentioned earlier, I tried it and it made no difference. The amp does not output to sub.

post #1001 of 1127 Old 10-02-2014, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
ML Owners Feedback - Motion 8 with Motion 40

Glad I found this group with Martin Logan owners - couldn't have found a better audience to pose this question.

During a local store closure (move out sale) I picked the following Martin Logan Motion speaker configuration for deep discounts as these were floor models:
  • Martin Logan Motion 40 standing speakers
  • Martin Logan Motion 4 bookshelf rear speakers
  • Martin Logan Motion 8 center speaker
  • Martin Logan Motion Dynamo 500 subwoofer.
Talking to someone with tons of knowledge about speakers I was advised that I should have picked Martin Logan Motion 30 for center speaker instead of Motion 8. Unfortunately the store didn't have floor models for ML Motion 30. I am a newbie and definitely nowhere close to an audiophile so my question is:

1. Does anyone have a Motion 8 center with Motion 40 front speakers? What is your experience? Or is this a bad idea?
  2. Since they only have new Motion 30 speakers, if I return the Motion 8 and get a Motion 30, I would have to shell out $400 more. Is it worth the $$ or should I stick with Motion 8 for center? (remember I am a newbie with home theater systems so I don't know if this is an overkill).
Please advise.
post #1002 of 1127 Old 10-02-2014, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshharidas View Post
Glad I found this group with Martin Logan owners - couldn't have found a better audience to pose this question.

During a local store closure (move out sale) I picked the following Martin Logan Motion speaker configuration for deep discounts as these were floor models:
Talking to someone with tons of knowledge about speakers I was advised that I should have picked Martin Logan Motion 30 for center speaker instead of Motion 8. Unfortunately the store didn't have floor models for ML Motion 30. I am a newbie and definitely nowhere close to an audiophile so my question is:

1. Does anyone have a Motion 8 center with Motion 40 front speakers? What is your experience? Or is this a bad idea?
  2. Since they only have new Motion 30 speakers, if I return the Motion 8 and get a Motion 30, I would have to shell out $400 more. Is it worth the $$ or should I stick with Motion 8 for center? (remember I am a newbie with home theater systems so I don't know if this is an overkill).
Please advise.
My first introduction to MartinLogan speakers was by chance ... my son and I were at the local audio store to listen to some other speakers - James was in the market for bookshelf speakers and we listened to a pair of Motion 15s and a pair of Motion 4s.

The difference between the two speakers was clear enough immediately that I knew right away that I'd be buying him the Motion 15s.

I'd venture to guess that the difference between the Motion 30 and the Motion 8 is similar.

The Motion 30 weighs in at 18 lbs while the Motion 8 weighs a mere 8.5 lbs.

The Motion 30 has a pair of 5.5" mid-woofers made of the same material as your Motion 40s ... the Motion 8 has a pair of 4" paper cone mid-woofers.

While researching center channel speakers a year and a half ago, I came across the topic of "lobing" ... in short, this is an effect that many center channel speakers exhibit where the speaker's sweet spot ends up being a very narrow one.
I called ML about this, explaining that I was interested in the Motion 30 ... they said that they designed the Motion 30 with two separate crossover points to remedy the lobing phenomenon.
One of the Motion 30's mid woofers works only up to 400hz, the other one crosses over to the tweeter at 2,600hz ... the Motion 8 has only one crossover point, and that's at 3,000hz.

The Motion 30 is a nice and compact speaker - only 16.5" wide, while the Motion 8 is over 22" wide.

IMO, the Motion 30 would be a good long term investment, whenever you are able to afford it ... I'm guessing that it's within the financial realm of possibilities since you are asking about the Motion 30. I'm quite pleased and content with mine ... I'm sure you would be as well.

The Motion 40/30 combo provides a seamlessly blended soundstage ... and remember: for home theater, the center channel is as important as any of the other speakers - the dialogue speaker.

For music, it's also an important link in the chain, so to speak ... I listen to a good amount of music through my USB input, and I always use the "multi-channel stereo" mode offered from my AVR ... my Motion 30 more than holds its own between the Motion 40s and my LX16s.

Good luck with your decision :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	martinlogan-logo@2x.png
Views:	45
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	292049

MartinLogan Motion 40s / 30 / LX16s
Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
Emotiva XPA-3
SVS PC13ultra

exercise room: MartinLogan LX16s / Dynamo700

Last edited by TomC1315; 10-02-2014 at 08:34 PM.
post #1003 of 1127 Old 10-03-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshharidas View Post

Please advise.
No doubt the Motion 30 is better than the Motion 8. However, in my theater, I needed a center channel that was easy to mount above my screen. With Audyssey XT32 and some further tweaking, I found that the Motion 8 works just fine as a center channel.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #1004 of 1127 Old 10-03-2014, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks Tom and Craig for the feedback and sharing your experiences with these speakers. After spending several hours reviewing tons of posts on AVSForum and other sites (incl. MLO), I reached to a conclusion that the Motion 30 is indeed the right center speaker to go with the Motion 40s (FL/FR) and Motion 4s (RL/RR) however given that I have got $400 worth Motion 8 speaker for $250 AND that there are tons of people out there (incl. experts like Craig) who are very satisfied with the config, I will go ahead and give it a try. If there is a marked deterioration or significant issue, then I'll sell the speaker (I see similar speakers on eBay for $200) and upgrade at that point. I don't see why I should return this right away without even trying and spend $400 more for something I don't know I really need. That said, I greatly appreciate the feedback that you all provided, all valid points and helped me come to a decision. AVSForum rocks!!
Craig Peer and TomC1315 like this.
post #1005 of 1127 Old 10-03-2014, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can you guys rate this setup I chose and give me some feedback if any? Especially like if the receiver I chose will power the speakers well.

My goal - solid 3.1 system for video games / movies that is very space conscious. I'm thinking maybe MartinLogan is more for music? Maybe there's something better for TV and games. To me space = money and I like a simple and clean setup. I usually do soundbars, but I want to step up to a receiver / speaker system. I'll be using the simple Audyssey EQ to calibrate the audio, dont know much about audio calibration, just plug and go.

Receiver - Marantz Slim Line NR1403 http://us.marantz.com/us/products/pa...oductId=NR1403
It's slim and has a ton of HDMI ports. Don't need bluetooth etc.

Front Right, Front Left - MartinLogan Motion 15 Bookshelf Speakers or motion 4
http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSer.../bookshelf.php
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/martinlo...helf&cp=1&lp=1
They look damn good (especially cherry) / clean and from what I've heard they can hold their own as front left and rights

Center Channel - MartinLogan Motion 8 center channel
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/martinlo...%208&cp=1&lp=1

Subwoofer - DefineTechnology Super Cube 2000 http://www.definitivetech.com/products/supercube-2000
Really don't know much about this though it was recommended. Subwoofer for me is tricky because I'm buying a house soon and if I get a townhouse with a neighbor then I might not be able to blast the sub. Also my girlfriend doesn't really like loud sub noises.

Also anyone find good furniture that matches the MartinLogan cherry color?

Last edited by ColdsnapBryan; 10-03-2014 at 10:13 PM.
post #1006 of 1127 Old 10-04-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdsnapBryan View Post
Can you guys rate this setup I chose and give me some feedback if any? Especially like if the receiver I chose will power the speakers well.

My goal - solid 3.1 system for video games / movies that is very space conscious. I'm thinking maybe MartinLogan is more for music? Maybe there's something better for TV and games. To me space = money and I like a simple and clean setup. I usually do soundbars, but I want to step up to a receiver / speaker system. I'll be using the simple Audyssey EQ to calibrate the audio, dont know much about audio calibration, just plug and go.

Receiver - Marantz Slim Line NR1403 http://us.marantz.com/us/products/pa...oductId=NR1403
It's slim and has a ton of HDMI ports. Don't need bluetooth etc.

Front Right, Front Left - MartinLogan Motion 15 Bookshelf Speakers or motion 4
http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSer.../bookshelf.php
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/martinlo...helf&cp=1&lp=1
They look damn good (especially cherry) / clean and from what I've heard they can hold their own as front left and rights

Center Channel - MartinLogan Motion 8 center channel
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/martinlo...%208&cp=1&lp=1

Subwoofer - DefineTechnology Super Cube 2000 http://www.definitivetech.com/products/supercube-2000
Really don't know much about this though it was recommended. Subwoofer for me is tricky because I'm buying a house soon and if I get a townhouse with a neighbor then I might not be able to blast the sub. Also my girlfriend doesn't really like loud sub noises.

Also anyone find good furniture that matches the MartinLogan cherry color?
My son has been enjoying his 3.1 set up for gaming, music, and movies ... its foundation has been his Motion 15s.

We recently added an MartinLogan LX16 for a center channel with good results, as well as an SVS PC12+ sub ... I'd recommend the Motion 15s over the Motion 4 without hesitation. My reasoning is that as long as you are moving on from sound bars, why not make it a substantial move ... the Motion 15 is a lot more substantial, IMO, than the Motion 4. They will be a pair of bookshelf speakers that you won't feel the need to upgrade.

*** The LX16 is essentially the same as the Motion 15, and there are still some available (in dark cherry, no less) through Amazon for $240 a piece ... I bought a second pair this way a few months ago and am surprised to find there were still some available as of this afternoon. I'D RECOMMEND GETTING 3 OF THEM for your 3.1 ... basically it's 3 LX16s for the price of 2 Motion 15s. I used an LX16 for a center channel for a while and it performed well.

Name:	IMG_1026.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	294706

Name:	James' A:V rig.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	294714

Name:	IMG_0625.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	294722

Name:	IMG_0626.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	294730

As far as furniture to match the ML dark cherry? I'm not sure ... but I found a wood stain that I'm quite happy with: Varathane wood stain's "Cabernet" is available at, I think, Home Depot ( it could have been Lowe's, but I think it was HD ). I made a platform for my sub, and was delighted to see how well the Varathane "Cabernet" matched.

A Marantz NR1403 seems like a nice choice ... I'd recommend checking out the refurbished Marantz and Denon AVRs at Accessories4Less.com ... My Marantz SR5007 has performed nicely for a year and a half ( I initially ordered an SR5006, but a surround channel didn't work properly, they didn't have any more in stock, so they sent me the 5007 instead ), and my son just received a Denon AVR from them and is quite pleased with it. You might be able to get a little more for your $ going the refurb route.

Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
Emotiva XPA-3
SVS PC13ultra

Last edited by TomC1315; 10-04-2014 at 03:29 PM.
post #1007 of 1127 Old 10-04-2014, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by black ace View Post
Im looking at building a 7.2 around some Motion 2/4 and a couple of SLM. Has anyone had issues with the compatibility of their receiver ?

Im looking at getting the Denon AVR-X3000 ($400 less than the newer AVR-X3100) but was told in the Denon thread that the speakers might turn off at higher volume ?

Anyone experience this before ? Or am I worrying about this for no reason ?

So far I have 2- SLM as my fronts, a Encore TF as my center, and 2 motion 2 as my sides. Also have 1 Dynamo 500. all hooked up to my Denon X3000 and my LG 60" Plasma.

Still need 2 more motion 2 or 4 for my rear, and am probably going to buy another Dynamo 500 off craigslist for $200.

Have to say it sounds incredible so far. Very pleased. Just need a projector and screen now.
post #1008 of 1127 Old 10-04-2014, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC1315 View Post
My son has been enjoying his 3.1 set up for gaming, music, and movies ... its foundation has been his Motion 15s.

We recently added an MartinLogan LX16 for a center channel with good results.
You really should put that LX16 right side up if it doesn't block the screen in that position. You're changing the dispersion of the tweeter and compromising on the SQ of it by laying it like that. Also with it pushed back on the shelf you're getting a lot of reflections off the glass. Speakers disperse sound horizontally and by flipping it on it's side and as far back on the shelf you're dispersion a lot of sound right into the glass. If you can get away with it I would suggest a foam pad underneath it to decouple it from the glass. It'll tighten up your sound IMO with all those simple and mostly free tweaks BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC1315 View Post
*** The LX16 is essentially the same as the Motion 15, and there are still some available (in dark cherry, no less) through Amazon for $240 a piece.
Audioadvisor has the LX16, Motion 15's, and Motion 30 as factory refreshed last I looked.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #1009 of 1127 Old 10-04-2014, 05:47 PM

Cool! Thanks for the information. Seems like I need to go and listen to the Motion 4s and the Motion 15s.
post #1010 of 1127 Old 10-04-2014, 06:41 PM

[QUOTE=|Tch0rT|;27958034]You really should put that LX16 right side up if it doesn't block the screen in that position. You're changing the dispersion of the tweeter and compromising on the SQ of it by laying it like that. Also with it pushed back on the shelf you're getting a lot of reflections off the glass. Speakers disperse sound horizontally and by flipping it on it's side and as far back on the shelf you're dispersion a lot of sound right into the glass. If you can get away with it I would suggest a foam pad underneath it

(a) Even though the ML specs state that the dispersion is 80 degrees x 80 degrees?

And (b) yes, I've suggested raising the LX16 off of the glass and closer to the edge, to no avail :-(

Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
Emotiva XPA-3
SVS PC13ultra

post #1011 of 1127 Old 10-05-2014, 07:10 AM

I see. I need to go to my local store and try some of the Motion series out then. I suspect I might be happy enough with Motion 4 fronts, Motion 6 center, and Sub. With the option to add Motion 2 for surrounds in the future. I'm fairly happy with smaller but higher quality solutions. I'm also buying my first home next year which will be a small first/starter home so I'm guessing the living room won't be that large unless it is an open floor plan to kitchen.

Martin Logan Black Gloss +This furniture http://www.bdiusa.com/theater/mirage.shtml = too much gloss black?

Last edited by ColdsnapBryan; 10-05-2014 at 07:50 PM.
post #1012 of 1127 Old 10-07-2014, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Er, um, unauthorized dealers are great until you need warranty service. You don't get any ML warranty coverage at all[/URL] when you buy ML product from an unauthorized dealer. That's the major elephant in the room buying product that way.

Last time I checked, forum sponsor AV Science (see Mike and and Craig Peer's recent emails) is an authorized ML dealer. Their service, support and pricing are excellent. There is really no incentive to roll the dice on an unauthorized dealer, even a "good one".

My new Stage-X arrived several months back with a major issue. That's rare, but it can happen. AV Science handled everything without question, and a brand new one, fully functional Stage-X arrived asap.

If I'd rolled the dice on an unauthorized dealer to buy that speaker, the experience would have been painful and expensive, instead of painless and free. I'd at least PM or call the AV Science guys, confirm they are authorized, and check what they can do for you. It'll take 5 minutes. Better to know than guess. My guess is you'll come out ahead in every way if you do that.

We now return you to your regular programming.
Thanks for your advice! Yes, I decided to go with an authorized dealer!
post #1013 of 1127 Old 10-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

^ Smart play. Well done. 👍
post #1014 of 1127 Old 10-08-2014, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Well folks, I no longer fit the requirements to be called a MartinLogan Owner, just time to downsize a bit. See ya round!
post #1015 of 1127 Old 10-08-2014, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post
Well folks, I no longer fit the requirements to be called a MartinLogan Owner, just time to downsize a bit. See ya round!
You sold them! Congrats. See you soon at the Guate Cantina.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #1016 of 1127 Old 10-12-2014, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Looking for some feedback and opinions on a Martin Logan system that I have the opportunity of obtaining:

2 Martin Logan Spires (used; excellent condition) for Main Speakers
2 Martin Logan BalanceForce 210 Subwoofers (new)
1 Martin Logan Motif X Center Speaker (new)
2 Motif X for Surround Speakers (new)

I'll be running this system with my Denon 4520ci AVR with the Spires powered by my Bryston 4B-ST.
This will be a dual-use system: Music and Home Theater.

This system should be a HUGE improvement over my NHT VT-2 surround system.
I'm curious about the Motif X's as surround, sidewall-mounted speakers. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with a setup like this.

I've always loved the Martin Logan sound since I first heard a pair of CLS's in 1983!
post #1017 of 1127 Old 10-12-2014, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, but like I mentioned earlier, I tried it and it made no difference. The amp does not output to sub.
Make sure that you're in surround mode as well as having the speakers set to small. The subwoofer won't get a signal in stereo mode.

I have a pair ofML Aerius i, Motion 6 center and Dynamo 700, all hooked up to a Marantz 6003. It works great but the hdmi ports ahave gone dead on the receiver and all but one have gone dead on my Sharp 70le845 tv. Had to use an optical out cable from the tv to the receiver. Now I have to use the actual receiver display instead of the tv to see the settings.
Can anyone recommend ML in ceiling speakers for surround? I know that they have at least 4 different sets available. It looks like my ceiling has been prewired and I'm considering going from 3.1 to either 5.1 or even 7.1.

tia,

j

Last edited by JoninMod; 10-12-2014 at 12:46 PM.
post #1018 of 1127 Old 10-13-2014, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You sold them! Congrats. See you soon at the Guate Cantina.
thanks, and here's hopin
post #1019 of 1127 Old 10-13-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
motion 4 or motion 15

hey guys wondering if anyone could give me some advice or insight on which speakers to go with. I have motion 40's for the fronts and motion 30 for the center. I just purchased a pc 13 ultra today. I am having trouble deciding speakers for my side and rear surrounds. I would like to get the motion 4 because of the price but I do have a big living room and will be using them mostly for watching movies. Would the motions 4 be fine for surrounds or should I go with the motions 15's? Thanks guys
post #1020 of 1127 Old 10-13-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty3 View Post
hey guys wondering if anyone could give me some advice or insight on which speakers to go with. I have motion 40's for the fronts and motion 30 for the center. I just purchased a pc 13 ultra today. I am having trouble deciding speakers for my side and rear surrounds. I would like to get the motion 4 because of the price but I do have a big living room and will be using them mostly for watching movies. Would the motions 4 be fine for surrounds or should I go with the motions 15's? Thanks guys
I've heard the Motion 4s and Motion 15s side by side and feel the Motion 15s are a substantially better speaker ... it was at a time when I was looking for bookshelf speakers for my son ... I immediately knew that I'd be buying James the Motion 15s ... I have since bought him an LX16 (essentially the same as a Motion 15) for a center channel.

Name:	James' A:V rig.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	309818

Name:	IMG_1450.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	309826

I have two pair of the LX16s in my home, one of which completes my Motion 40 / 30 5.1 set up ( along with, coincidentally, an SVS PC13ultra :-)
The Motion 15 / LX16 would be a good investment, IMO, ... LX16s are available on Amazon or from Hi-Fi Heaven (with PayPal) in the dark cherry finish for $239.95 per speaker.
If your other Motion speakers are black, know that the dark cherry, unless it's in a sunny room, look very dark ... in the late evening, they look almost black.
Anyway, at $479 a pair, the LX16 is quite a deal. (an LX16 weighs 12lbs / a Motion 4, 6lbs.)

For a surround speaker only, I imagine the Motion 4 would suffice, but at $10 more per speaker (Amazon) compared to the LX16, it might not be the most bang for your buck.

Have black 40s and 30 and not sure about the dark cherry? I'm (seriously) thinking, at this price, spray paint :-)
|Tch0rT| and mogrub like this.

Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
Emotiva XPA-3
SVS PC13ultra

Last edited by TomC1315; 10-13-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor 50 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page