Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #991 of 999 Old 09-26-2014, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 62
$600 is a good price for them, but just keep in mind they are pretty old at this point. Any way of finding out the manufacture date? They could be up to 18 years old at this point and I'd be concerned that panel replacement is in the near future. I think if you can get the serial numbers you can get ML to tell you when they were manufactured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 999 Old 09-26-2014, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post
How exactly are you disappointed in the performance? How big is your room? An XPA-5 will just make them louder. If you have the room you should use the Scenarios as surrounds and the FX2's for back surrounds if you keep your NAD.

I used to use an old Marantz receiver that has the same wattage as your NAD and later added a Marantz MM9000 amp (slightly less power than a XPA-5) and it was only just a tad bit louder than the receiver. A tad bit more dynamic but everything else was the same really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Sounds like a fun hunt you're working on, and you'll get some good ideas here. But before anyone can help a whole bunch, you might need to describe your room geometry, cubic feet, surfaces, and the length and gauge of the speaker wires you are running. Not knowing any of that won't stop us from "helping", but it sure will help. ✌️
Sorry for not responding earlier, my company is in the middle of a new software roll-out, making free time a premium.

This setup is in the upstairs of an open floor layout Ranch style house, meaning the layout SUCKS for acoustics. Though my seating area is only about 11' from the speakers, the over all room is 28' long and 23' wide. Behind the seating area is a dining room and open kitchen, a stairway to the basement is off to the right side. The walls jut in and out as it moves into the dining area. I can't even place my seating in the sweet spot because it would be in the main walkway to the Kitchen. It's horrible, but it is temporary. When I finish my basement I will have a much more controlled environment. For now however I must make do.

For wiring I am using 10' runs of 8 gauge AudioQuest (technically it is 4x16, I just twisted the leads together into pairs).

As far as my disappointment in the NAD goes, it goes into protection mode frequently. In my mind I haven't even gotten to reference level volumes yet and the amp will shut down. It also outputs nearly zero volume to my sub, no matter how I set it. My speakers are set to large, sub is on, x-over @80hz and though I hate using "bass boost", even with it on none of my subs produce much bass at all. The speaker barely moves, no noticeable bass comes out of them, yet they both perform 'normally' hooked to my Marantz with the same settings. The amp makes the ML's sound great, don't get me wrong, it just seems to run out of gas before I get to that "awed" feeling during a movie or soundtrack.

For the record, I have input distances for each of my speakers in the setup menu, but I have not hooked up the Audessy and run it. I could try that.

I appreciate the help all, thanks for the replies!

Living Room - NAD T758 || Martin Logan ESL - Motif X - FX2 || Velodyne DEQ-12r || Oppo BDP 103 || PS4 - XIM4 || Samsung UN60H7150
Den - Maximus V Extreme || i7 3770K w/ H100i || 128Gb Samsung 840 pro - OS || 512Gb Samsung 840 Pro - Games || 3TB Caviar Black || Evga 680 FTW || X-Fi HD || Silent Pro 1000w || Dell U3011 || Marantz SR5003 || Axiom M22 - VP100 - M3 || Velodyne DEQ-10r

Last edited by Frraksurred; 09-26-2014 at 03:42 PM.
post #993 of 999 Old 09-26-2014, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frraksurred View Post
Sorry for not responding earlier, my company is in the middle of a new software roll-out, making free time a premium.

This setup is in the upstairs of an open floor layout Ranch style house, meaning the layout SUCKS for acoustics. Though my seating area is only about 11' from the speakers, the over all room is 28' long and 23' wide. Behind the seating area is a dining room and open kitchen, a stairway to the basement is off to the right side. The walls jut in and out as it moves into the dining area. I can't even place my seating in the sweet spot because it would be in the main walkway to the Kitchen. It's horrible, but it is temporary. When I finish my basement I will have a much more controlled environment. For now however I must make do.

For wiring I am using 10' runs of 8 gauge AudioQuest (technically it is 4x16, I just twisted the leads together into pairs).

As far as my disappointment in the NAD goes, it goes into protection mode frequently. In my mind I haven't even gotten to reference level volumes yet and the amp will shut down. It also outputs nearly zero volume to my sub, no matter how I set it. My speakers are set to large, sub is on, x-over @80hz and though I hate using "bass boost", even with it on none of my subs produce much bass at all. The speaker barely moves, no noticeable bass comes out of them, yet they both perform 'normally' hooked to my Marantz with the same settings. The amp makes the ML's sound great, don't get me wrong, it just seems to run out of gas before I get to that "awed" feeling during a movie or soundtrack.

For the record, I have input distances for each of my speakers in the setup menu, but I have not hooked up the Audessy and run it. I could try that.

I appreciate the help all, thanks for the replies!

Did you try settings speakers to small?
post #994 of 999 Old 09-26-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSolar View Post
Yes, no improvement. In fact as I understand it, setting them to small turns off the sub out.

Living Room - NAD T758 || Martin Logan ESL - Motif X - FX2 || Velodyne DEQ-12r || Oppo BDP 103 || PS4 - XIM4 || Samsung UN60H7150
Den - Maximus V Extreme || i7 3770K w/ H100i || 128Gb Samsung 840 pro - OS || 512Gb Samsung 840 Pro - Games || 3TB Caviar Black || Evga 680 FTW || X-Fi HD || Silent Pro 1000w || Dell U3011 || Marantz SR5003 || Axiom M22 - VP100 - M3 || Velodyne DEQ-10r
post #995 of 999 Old 09-26-2014, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
... As far as my disappointment in the NAD goes it ... outputs nearly zero volume to my sub, no matter how I set it ... even with Bass Boost on none of my subs produce much bass at all. The speaker barely moves, no noticeable bass comes out of them, yet they both perform 'normally' hooked to my Marantz with the same settings.
Just trying to understand on this bass issue first -- you have hooked up the Marantz in this same room with the same cabling, and with the Marantz the subs perform, but with the NAD they don't -- is that correct?
post #996 of 999 Old 09-27-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Just trying to understand on this bass issue first -- you have hooked up the Marantz in this same room with the same cabling, and with the Marantz the subs perform, but with the NAD they don't -- is that correct?
Not exactly. I have a system in my den as well, where the Marantz lives. My 10" velo is normally in there. I have swapped the 10 and the 12 on several occasions. I have also swapped power and signal wiring in case I had a short. I have bought new signal cable 'just in case'. In all scenarios the subs work fine on the Marantz and not at all on the NAD. I also recently ran the Audessy and during the speaker test, nothing came out of the sub. I have tried this 3 times, swapping out cabling and the 10 & 12" subs. The amp will not output to sub no matter how I configure it in the NAD's setup menu. However, the first 2 weeks I owned the amp, it output to sub just fine. Then the amp fried in my 12" and I had to have it repaired. I thought it was just the sub, but both subs are noticeably hotter when hooked to the NAD, than when hooked to the Marantz, even when the sub is turned OFF.

I have spoken to NAD about this and they want me to drive 121 miles to my nearest "authorized dealer" and have it tested. With the software rollout I mentioned earlier, it is going to be a few weeks before I will have time to do this.

Last edited by Frraksurred; 09-27-2014 at 09:08 AM.
post #997 of 999 Old 09-27-2014, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, no improvement. In fact as I understand it, setting them to small turns off the sub out.
Actually exactly the opposite. Setting your speakers to large will pretty much disable your sub. The way you have them set up now with the front left and right set to "large" mean NO bass from the front channels are getting routed to the sub. You would only be getting the .1 lfe channel and bass routed from the center channel (wait, do you have a center yet?) and the rears. It is extremely rare that you would ever set speakers to large, usually only if you have a 2.0 system. I would run audyssey first, the check and make sure all speakers are set to small and put your crossover at 80 hz.

Large or small for speaker set up just indicates whether or not the low frequencies for that channel are sent to the subwoofer. Unless you have an appallingly weak sub, you want all speakers set to small until you buy a better sub.
post #998 of 999 Old 09-28-2014, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yes, set fronts to small and crossover at 80 if you have a sub. I have a denon 5200 and it sets my Theos fronts to large and crossover at 40. I change it to small and 80. Seaton Submersive sounds good.
post #999 of 999 Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, set fronts to small and crossover at 80 if you have a sub. I have a denon 5200 and it sets my Theos fronts to large and crossover at 40. I change it to small and 80. Seaton Submersive sounds good.
Thanks for the reply, but like I mentioned earlier, I tried it and it made no difference. The amp does not output to sub.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor 50 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page