post #1111 of 1120 Old 12-11-2014, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritiumglo View Post
You better make sure those panels are ok. Do some research on panel replacement and if ML will even still service those. Its a big gamble. Bad panel and you will likely pay more than the price of the speaker to get them fixed. .
ML will sell you replacement panels for any model they've made but the cost of replacement panels has increased dramatically over the last few years. Expect to pay well over $1,000 for new panels. That being said, if they were in a dedicated theater that means they probably were in a pretty well climate controlled environment and probably without any type of direct sun-light. If you can really carefully inspect them for any flaws, the panels may be in fine shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1120 Old 12-11-2014, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They were in a 3rd floor theater kept around 72 degrees. No sunlight whatsoever. No windows, and these were hidden behind a cloth cover in a niche.

I spoke to ML service yesterday. The panels are available at around $1400 shipped. Apparently they also have an updated driver for this model. The tech stated the panels have about a 15yr shelf life whether in use or not.

So to get back to the question, I'm just getting back into the hobby and wanted to start off with something nice. If I can get him down around $500 with the intent to replace panels at some point in the future, would they be worth it? Or should I just go for a newer model with smaller drivers?
post #1113 of 1120 Old 12-11-2014, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlw View Post
Question for the owners, if you have a moment. I have a chance to buy a set of SL3 towers to be connected to my Krell KAV-300r integrated receiver. Obviously the SL3's are a little aged at 19 years old. The seller is asking $1000, I'm trying to get him to come off the price at the moment. I know the seller well, and do a lot of his work. We pulled the speakers from his theater which is rarely used (at best). He did however keep the speakers powered even when not in use.

My question:

Should I be interested in these speakers, or will money be better spent on a newer set of ESL's a slightly higher price point used? I like the idea of the larger driver in the SL3, but I'm concerned with the age.
IMHO, I would keep on looking. Maybe for $500 but not 1K. I picked up my EM-ESL for $999 for the pair as demos. I see Source's all the time for 1K and Vistas for $1400-1500. Be patient and you can do MUCH better.
post #1114 of 1120 Old 12-11-2014, 09:43 AM

Just one more question, is the Krell Kav-300r a good candidate to push electrostats? It's a solid state Class AB amplifier with 300w per channel into 4 ohms.
post #1115 of 1120 Old 12-11-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Should be fine. Krell was noted for being able to drive low-Z loads.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #1116 of 1120 Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM

I'm on the lookout for another set now, pretty sure I offended the guy with my offer of $500 as he hasn't responded. I've been in love with the ML brand ever since I installed a pair on a customer's Mcintosh gear a few years back.

Thank you all for your quick advice.
post #1117 of 1120 Unread Today, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello AVS Forum Members. I am a newly registered member, but longtime ML fan. I am having to part with my proudest purchase to date. I have a pair of Martin Logan Ethos, in mint condition. These speakers were purchased from an Audio Advice location, and immediately returned because the buyer actually had his heart set on a different wood finished Montis set. These amazing speakers are less than 2 years old and have the Dark Cherry wood finish. They were purchased from the same location by myself, unwrapped, played for about 20 listening hours, and re-packed in their original boxes, due to my having to leave the country for an extended period of time. I am back in the states and they still remain in a climate controlled storage unit. I also have the ESL, which I will keep, do to my downsizing in living space. I have all packaging material. Will sell for $4000 with buyer arranging for shipping pickup. I am located in North Carolina. Thanks for your time.
Attached Images

post #1118 of 1120 Unread Today, 12:59 PM

Hello AVS Forum members. I am a longtime ML fan who is having to part ways with his proudest ML purchase to date (which I hope the next will be the Montis, once I re-locate!) which is one pair of Martin Logan Ethos, in mint condition. These speakers were purchased from a Audio Advice location, and immediately returned because the buyer actually had his heart set on a different wood finished Montis Series. These amazing speakers are less than 2 years old and have the Dark Cherry wood finish. They were purchased from the same location by myself, unwrapped, played for about 20 listening hours, and re-packed in their original boxes, due to my having to leave the country for an extended period of time. I will sell them for $4200 with shipping being paid by the buyer. If anyone is serious about these, feel free to contact me. Again, when you see these you will think "practically Brand New". Thanks!
Attached Images

post #1119 of 1120 Unread Today, 01:11 PM

sorry for the double post members. If any moderator could please delete the latter post. Thanks
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor 50 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page