Martin Logan Owners Thread - Page 39 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44Likes
post #1141 of 1154 Old 01-09-2015, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Theos owner here. I have owned SL3's, Vista's, Aeon i's and now these black oak Theos. I haven't heard a set of ML's yet that sounded bad :-)

I am thinking of selling mine and go to an Ethos if anyone is interested. $3100 in W KY

Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo BDP-93, Playstation 4
Panamax 5300-PM
Martin Logan Theos
Musical Fidelity A300
Paradigm PS 1200 sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1154 Old 01-10-2015, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi
My use name says it all! I had Acoustats (6 foot tall monoliths from 2001 a Space Odyssey) many years ago (Harmon-Kardon "High Current Capacity" preAmp/Amp) and loved the heck out of them. I am flirting with getting the "low end" Martin Logans. Can anyone recommend an A/V receiver that does NOT sound too "bright" with them? I heard them demoed via a mid range Pioneer. My ears and appreciation of audio are limited by my budget. The high end multi-thousand dollar separate pre-Amp/Amps are out of range. I am thinking $2500 for the speakers and tops $1000-1200 for the A/V receiver. I currently have a Paradigm 5 channel surround set up for movies and SACD. I could see keeping that for movies-and using the stereo pair of ML for listening. I tend towards Classical (Rachmaninoff/Beethoven/Mahler, etc. and smaller ensemble vocal/acoustic rather than hard rock.
My ears are unfortunately tilted towards high end-and my finances towards the lower end of high end.
Thanks!
post #1143 of 1154 Old 01-10-2015, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Two best options for smooth ML are NAD and Mcintosh. Since you are limited on budget NAD.
I heard the entry level ML on NAD integrated and it was quite good. It did not have the glare and sparkle you may get with some others.

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
post #1144 of 1154 Old 01-11-2015, 01:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Any idea, how slim XL compare with B&W FPM 5 or 6s
post #1145 of 1154 Old 01-11-2015, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks! I'll take a look at the NAD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritiumglo View Post
Two best options for smooth ML are NAD and Mcintosh. Since you are limited on budget NAD.
I heard the entry level ML on NAD integrated and it was quite good. It did not have the glare and sparkle you may get with some others.
post #1146 of 1154 Old 01-11-2015, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by exacoustatowner View Post
Hi
My use name says it all! I had Acoustats (6 foot tall monoliths from 2001 a Space Odyssey) many years ago (Harmon-Kardon "High Current Capacity" preAmp/Amp) and loved the heck out of them. I am flirting with getting the "low end" Martin
Thanks!

If it were me I would be looking at Emotiva and Outlaw Audio
post #1147 of 1154 Old 01-12-2015, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I am planning to trade my speakers for a pair of the ESL's so I'd like to know what to look out for. He has stated that there is a scratch on one of the speakers but hasn't mentioned where or how big. I will audition them first before making the trade of course but any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot
post #1148 of 1154 Old 01-12-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Take a flashlight and inspect each panel closely for any rips or tears. Listen closely for any "buzzing" sound from the panels that might indicate a tear that you didn't see. Listen for any low-frequency (60 or 120 Hz in the USA, 50 or 100 Hz in Europe, and multiples of each) humming that might indicate power supply capacitors are going bad. Make sure the woofers are working if it is a hybrid system (most ML's, and many other, ESL's are hybrids with ESL upper panels and conventional woofer).

HTH - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #1149 of 1154 Old 01-12-2015, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If they are the electromotion ESL's, you have to plug them in to get power. Look for the little blue power light on the back of the speaker also,that will tell you they are getting power. Do you get to listen to them 1st?
post #1150 of 1154 Old 01-12-2015, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a Martin Logan Descent (original) subwoofer and I have determined that the LFE input is going bad. Would I be missing any AVR processing if I simply feed the subwoofer output to the right (or left) channel input and adjust the sub levels on the front panel once to my liking? My Denon AVR-X2000 is set to send LFE + Mains (i.e. all speakers) to the sub below 100 Hz. (I am running the sub plus a GoldenEar soudbar.)

Thanks!
Andy
post #1151 of 1154 Old 01-16-2015, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Currently I have a 9.2 home theater system with all Martin Logan speakers (not including the subs). Fronts: Sequell ll, Center: Logos. Surround sides, rears, height, and wides: Scripts. All powered by B&K amps
using a Marantz AV8801 pre-amp.
Craig Peer and |Tch0rT| like this.
post #1152 of 1154 Unread Yesterday, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Does anyone else have a Motif and a measurement mic with REW and can measure their Motif for me? I've measured mine and personally I feel like there's something off about the frequency response but when I contacted ML about it they said nothing was wrong.

Measurement I sent to ML:

ML Response:
Quote:
At first glance it would not appear that there is anything wrong with the Motif. I don’t see anything to indicate a non-working or out of phase driver in the speaker. Please note the following:

1. The “On Wall” position on the back of the Motif will reduce the speakers output by 3 to 5 dB below 500 Hz. You might experiment with this switch to see what gives you the best results, regardless of the placement of the speaker.

2. This response might suggest more of an issue with surfaces in proximity to the speaker that could possibly cause some phase cancellations. ( IE, reduced output between 240 and 700 Hz.) Or it may be simply an issue with trying to get an accurate measurement in your particular space. With panel speakers sometimes you can get a more accurate reading by measuring slightly off axis ( say 20 to 30 degrees).

3. I would also check the settings in your processor or receiver. In general you would want the center set to “small”, but again experiment and see what sounds best to you.

In short, if everything sounds ok, it probably is ok. Go with what sounds best to your ears regardless of any graph that may be generated.
I dunno, that 240hz to 700hz looks wonky to me, I know a narrow dip isn't that audible but man it really drops off over a large band IMO.

So I did some more measurements:

On/Off Wall switch changes:

Off Center Measurements:

My Motif was a refurb so that adds to my doubt. I know it's different speakers and placements but I don't notice any of my other ML speakers having that behavior and for comparison my previous center, ML Encore TF:

Anyone have any ideas? Am I just over thinking it? I know it'll never be "flat" but to me it looks either defective (like I said it was a refurb so it fuels my doubt) or intentional and due to ML response it makes me believe they tuned them this way.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #1153 of 1154 Unread Today, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_H View Post
I have a Martin Logan Descent (original) subwoofer and I have determined that the LFE input is going bad. Would I be missing any AVR processing if I simply feed the subwoofer output to the right (or left) channel input and adjust the sub levels on the front panel once to my liking? My Denon AVR-X2000 is set to send LFE + Mains (i.e. all speakers) to the sub below 100 Hz. (I am running the sub plus a GoldenEar soudbar.)

Thanks!
Andy

It's just the RCA input going bad on the sub? What you suggest doing should work if I understand you correctly. Then again, maybe the sub is shot.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #1154 of 1154 Unread Today, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaffman View Post
Currently I have a 9.2 home theater system with all Martin Logan speakers (not including the subs). Fronts: Sequell ll, Center: Logos. Surround sides, rears, height, and wides: Scripts. All powered by B&K amps
using a Marantz AV8801 pre-amp.
Nice set up.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor 50 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page