Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 808 Old 12-02-2011, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htdude14 View Post

Hi, just auditioned the ML Electromotion speakers and was quite impressed! I have Monitor Audio RS series speakers right and thinking of a change, although it's hard to get a feel for speakers in a store.
Anybody have experience with this model? The pair I listened to were at Future Shop here in Canada (Best Buy) They have carried the motion series for a while, which I dislike, but the Electromotion were very involving and these were only driven by a sub 1K Yamaha rec.
cheers

I have the EM Series (ESL) speakers for my front left, right. The C2 for the center, and Dynamo 700 for the sub.

They REALLY are clear and crisp and have a definite sweet spot when you set them up with "toe-in" (i.e. angle them in at slight angle toward the center listening position). Mine are powered by the Marantz SR7005 AVR receiver (125WPC - watts per channel).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 808 Old 12-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I also have a pair of ML EM ESL's. I quite enjoy them when I get a chance to sit down and listen. <3

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #93 of 808 Old 12-03-2011, 08:41 AM

Liked: 10
Just received my ML Motion LX16s from Abt....well one of them anyway! Apparently the Abt shipping department made a mistake and only sent me one of the pair. Called and they will have to have shipping dept call me on Monday. The shipped weight was clearly less than the weight of the pair so the salesperson was positive this would be resolved quickly. The box I received clearly said "1 speaker" and someone at Abt had circled that with a pen... Quite frustrating! They are sold as a pair.

So I guess I am going to have to wait another week to listen to them!
post #94 of 808 Old 12-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Good to hear the Electromotion are being enjoyed out there, has anyone ever compared them to the Source model? The Electromotion and The Source are almost the same price here (different stores).
post #95 of 808 Old 12-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htdude14 View Post

Good to hear the Electromotion are being enjoyed out there, has anyone ever compared them to the Source model? The Electromotion and The Source are almost the same price here (different stores).

I have both the ML EM ESL and ML Source. I didn't really compare them directly. When I got the EM ESL's the Source went to the surrounds in my setup. They sound somewhat similar (despite having different panel types) but the EM ESL's integrate with my subs better and they're out of the box more friendly with rock and metal then the Source.

The Source should be cheaper than the EM ESL since their discontinued.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #96 of 808 Old 12-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post

I have both the ML EM ESL and ML Source. I didn't really compare them directly. When I got the EM ESL's the Source went to the surrounds in my setup. They sound somewhat similar (despite having different panel types) but the EM ESL's integrate with my subs better and they're out of the box more friendly with rock and metal then the Source.

The Source should be cheaper than the EM ESL since their discontinued.

Thanks for the input! The prices are msrp so they can be had for less, although as you mentioned there is probably more room to move on the Source model.
Cheers,
post #97 of 808 Old 12-11-2011, 09:24 AM

I finally have the Motion LX16s in with the C2 center (running 3.1 for now) and I am very pleased with them. Not too bright at all - in fact very nicely balanced.

They don't knock me out with their low frequency response, but they aren't bad, and do as well or better than most other speakers I auditioned with same sized woofers. Certainly better than the Motion 4s. You will want a sub with these, and my HSU STF-2 (10") seems to be a very nice match.

I will say that these speakers look beautiful too - I got the dark rosewood finish and I am very pleased with their high gloss finish and color. Unfortunately they are mostly hidden by my AV cabinet, but what I can see looks great. The metal grills are nice also, as I have a very curious 2 year old son.
post #98 of 808 Old 01-02-2012, 03:12 PM

Liked: 12
CC330i -
I too ended up with a pair of LX16s, and I am absolutely loving them. They do need a subwoofer to round out the bass, but their tonal balance is really nice, and the detail is superb.

I just picked up an EM C2 center for my system, and I'm waiting on a pair of Motion FXs for the surrounds. The EM C2 matches with the LX16s perfectly to my ears, I really cannot pick out any points where they're not blending seamlessly.

I'll pop in and update once the FXs show up, and I get to set up the full 5.1.

Oh, and I'm driving this setup with a relatively piddly Marantx NR1402 85 wpc AVR. At some point I should hook them up with my other reciever which has a separate 5-channel MM-9000 amp, but to be honest, everything sounds lovely as-is.

post #99 of 808 Old 01-02-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikarius View Post

CC330i -
I too ended up with a pair of LX16s, and I am absolutely loving them. They do need a subwoofer to round out the bass, but their tonal balance is really nice, and the detail is superb.

I just picked up an EM C2 center for my system, and I'm waiting on a pair of Motion FXs for the surrounds. The EM C2 matches with the LX16s perfectly to my ears, I really cannot pick out any points where they're not blending seamlessly.

I'll pop in and update once the FXs show up, and I get to set up the full 5.1.

Oh, and I'm driving this setup with a relatively piddly Marantx NR1402 85 wpc AVR. At some point I should hook them up with my other reciever which has a separate 5-channel MM-9000 amp, but to be honest, everything sounds lovely as-is.

Pics!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #100 of 808 Old 01-02-2012, 03:33 PM

I too just got my EM C2 as it JUST came out and there was a delay. Will post pics of mine as well.
post #101 of 808 Old 01-02-2012, 04:06 PM

Okay, I'll get some pictures and try to get them posted later tonight or tomorrow.

post #102 of 808 Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 PM

Okay, here's some pictures. Had my wife get pictures, she took em with her phone camera....
LL
LL

post #103 of 808 Old 01-04-2012, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Okay, here's some pictures. Had my wife get pictures, she took em with her phone camera....

Dang the lx16 look good to me. I like the simple look! They use ribbon tweeters right? If so how are those for you? I heard em on some motion 4s and liked em...now as for the aesthetics of the motion 4s...that's a whole different story lol (imho)

I guess some people like those curves!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #104 of 808 Old 01-04-2012, 10:02 AM

Here are my pics (ESLs left/right, C2 center, Dynamo 700 sub).
LL
LL
LL
post #105 of 808 Old 01-04-2012, 10:08 AM

The ribbon tweeters are absolutely amazing. Just the right tone, not too much harshness, but splendid detail in the high end.

I absolutely adore my LX-16s, and the more time I spend with them, the more I learn about them and appreciate them. I also have little use for the styling of the Motion 4s & 2s.

I am ecstatic at how perfect a match the EM C2 is, and I cannot wait for my Motion FXs to show up.

Dale Rasco over at HomeTheaterShack is currently working on a review of the LX-16s, so in a week or so you can probably pop in over there and read his review. I have been pinging him for some system advice, and he's been very helpful.

post #106 of 808 Old 01-04-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:

I cannot wait for my Motion FXs to show up.

Once I went to purchase a HTS and got a 3.1, now I'm thinking about going to 5.1 or maybe 5.2 and the next purchase would be a pair of the Electro-Motion FXIIs.
post #107 of 808 Old 01-04-2012, 10:39 AM

I looked at both the FX and FX2, and for me, the FX has the same 5.25" driver as the LX-16s, but also, the FX2 is approximately 15" square, which makes it freaking *huge* for putting on the wall. FX is about a 12" square, so it's not tiny either by any stretch, but you may want to keep that in mind for your setup.

post #108 of 808 Old 01-04-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:

I looked at both the FX and FX2, and for me, the FX has the same 5.25" driver as the LX-16s, but also, the FX2 is approximately 15" square, which makes it freaking *huge* for putting on the wall. FX is about a 12" square, so it's not tiny either by any stretch, but you may want to keep that in mind for your setup.

Good. Thanks for the info. Will keep it in mind.
post #109 of 808 Old 01-06-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Anybody know the difference between the ESLs and the ML Source?

They look very similar but I guess the Source are a slightly older model?

Some guy on Amazon in the ESL reviews implied that the Source sounded better ...

Looking at the specs, the main differences are:

The Source weighs 12 pounds more per speaker, and is a bit wider but not as deep.
The EM ESL have a significantly larger Electrostatic driver...

Thanks in advance!
post #110 of 808 Old 01-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

I have both the EM ESL and Source. I haven't compared them directly but they have different panel types so they sound slightly different. Some people prefer the older sound (Source) and some people prefer the newer sound (EM ESL). They both sound fantastic IMO. The main difference from my experience is the EM ESL is more Rock & Metal friendly out of the box than the Source and the bass is better on the EM ESL (integrates with the panel a little bit better and integrates with my subs better).

You can get the Source brand new for around $1350 vs the EM ESL's at $2000. Which puts the Source at a great bang for the buck experience for Electrostats.

post #111 of 808 Old 01-09-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea thanks, I Was looking at a pair of ESLs for 1300, so the price was roughly the same.

I listened to the ESLs quite a bit over the weekend at the Magnolia room at Best Buy. They were the 2nd best speakers in their "high end" room, only bested by the B&W CM9s, which were about 40% more expensive (at BB).
post #112 of 808 Old 02-11-2012, 11:18 PM

Is this the EM-ESL which is normally price at $2k? Nearly half price on Amazon?

D'oh! I am too new to post URLs. But you can find it if you search on Amazon for:

'MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL Hybrid Electrostatic Loudspeaker'

I'm guessing if something is too good to be true then it probably is.

In Australia they are asking for $3.5k (AUD).
post #113 of 808 Old 02-11-2012, 11:19 PM

Heh... I just noticed I have been lurking for over 4 years without ever posting.

Mr Bungle 69

post #114 of 808 Old 02-12-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bungle 69 View Post

Is this the EM-ESL which is normally price at $2k? Nearly half price on Amazon?

D'oh! I am too new to post URLs. But you can find it if you search on Amazon for:

'MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL Hybrid Electrostatic Loudspeaker'

I'm guessing if something is too good to be true then it probably is.

In Australia they are asking for $3.5k (AUD).

Amazon price is for EACH
post #115 of 808 Old 02-12-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbuzz View Post

Amazon price is for EACH

Exactly. Total=$2k, and that's what I paid for mine from Magnolia Audio Video. Martin Logan products, are like Oppo products, very rare to find any sort of price difference amongst resellers/retailers. I think they are price protected.
post #116 of 808 Old 02-12-2012, 05:56 PM

A few years back I saw an ad in the Recycler for a pair of ML Aerius speakers for $800. After my third pair of Vandersteen 3s, I came to the conclusion I needed something better.

I borrowed my friends SUV and went down to look at the Aerius'. When I got there the owner told me his doctor wife and he had to move to Seattle in two weeks. He lived in Long Beach, Ca.

I took one look at the speaker and thought, I gotta get out of here. They were dusty, dirty and the wood sides had been gouge well into the wood.

The guy must have had a dozen people turn him down, before I came by. He begged me to make him an offer, so I threw out $500 as I walked to the door, thinking I'll never see this guy again.

To my dismay, he said OK! I used to love buying and sell audio stuff from Agon, eBay and my local recycler. Keep the best and sell the rest. I'd never been taken..... until now.

I gave him the dough and put the Aerius' in the SUV and cussed at myself all the way home.

When I got home, I hook took them apart, cleaned them up and hooked them up to my old Robertson 6010 amp. Crossed my fingers and fell in love. I thought to myself, now that's what I've been waiting all these years to hear.

I called ML and asked them what I needed to do and buy to make them look really good again. I was told, just use some wood filler and a certain brand of $3 a can back paint and go to work. While on the phone ML asked for the serial numbers. After reading the numbers to the gentleman on the other end, I was informed my speakers weren't Aerius, but Aerius I.

If you get the speakers in really bright light, you can tell the work I've done.

I still have em, I still love em and it's the smartest buy I ever made!

Kinergetics KCD40 and KCD 20/40
Robertson 6010 & 4010
Chiro C800
Kinergetics Subwoofer
Martin Logan Aerius I
post #117 of 808 Old 02-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

the review below rates the ESL system really high

http://www.avguide.com/review/martin...system-tpv-109

I was wondering, for a little more, how would that same system compare by ditching the centre and replacing the rears with a second pair of ESL floorstanders?

so four matched floor standers with phantom centre?
post #118 of 808 Old 03-16-2012, 10:40 AM

Can anyone comment on a comparison between the Martin Logan MLT-1 5.1 and Energy Take 5 5.0 systems, esp if you've had a chance to directly compare the two? Intent is for a computer 5.1 system; the Martin Logan is currently available for $250 and the Energy Take 5 is up for $150, but I have little time to choose between them.

Damn it Jim, I'm a physicist, not an engineer!
post #119 of 808 Old 03-17-2012, 12:15 PM

I am about to purchase some Motion 4's and a Motion 8 CS...

What are yall suggesting as far as speaker stand for the 4's since they wont be wall mounted.

Thanks
post #120 of 808 Old 04-16-2012, 11:57 AM

So I need to find a damn stand for the Motion 4's...

Anyone out there ????
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor 50 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page