Martin Logan Owners Thread - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 90Likes

post #1381 of 1389 Old 02-04-2016, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSteward View Post
@bshoe54 I assume you mean the Motion 30 centre, since the 40 is a tower. I don't think the centre has to compete with your surrounds. The mains will have more effect, but by the time you finish dialling the speakers in, you should be good. I'd go with the 35XT so that the drivers match the fronts. Pity there's not room for the 50, but that's life, I guess.

As far as outriggers go, I'd be tempted to try them without, and the with, after the break in period of 100 hours, and see if you notice any appreciable difference.
Thanks. Yes, I meant Motion 30 for the center. I edited my original post to correct the error.

After hooking everything up this week, the 15's sound great with the 30 and the 60XTs. I think I am going to keep them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1389 Old 02-04-2016, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshoe54 View Post
Thanks. Yes, I meant Motion 30 for the center. I edited my original post to correct the error.

After hooking everything up this week, the 15's sound great with the 30 and the 60XTs. I think I am going to keep them.
Sounds good. They'll only get better as you break them in. There can't be a vast difference between the 15s and 35s, in any case.

I'm still torn 3 ways over my centre. Either keep my Polk, replace it with a Motion 30, in which case my Motion 40s will go to my front channels with the Theos as a dedicated 2 channel system, or a Motiv X and keep the Theos as fronts.

Plenty of time to make a decision while I'm saving.

My Equipment:
Spoiler!
post #1383 of 1389 Old 02-04-2016, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking to get in-ceiling speaker Martin Logan Helos 22 (the stereo one) for my quite small bathroom installation. Wanted to understand if Helos 22 has a tweeter mounted in anaimable stem. In other words if it is possible to pivot the tweeter stem topoint towards the primary listening position?

Last edited by bordo32; 02-04-2016 at 07:48 PM.
post #1384 of 1389 Old 02-04-2016, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by bordo32 View Post
I am looking to get in-ceiling speaker Martin Logan Helos 22 (the stereo one) for my quite small bathroom installation. Wanted to understand if Helos 22 has a tweeter mounted in anaimable stem. In other words if it is possible to pivot the tweeter stem topoint towards the primary listening position?
Yes, it does. There is one going for a song locally ($150 instead of the normal $600) so I had a look at the manual for it. It gives instructions for aiming the tweeter.

Just in case it matters to you, the method of aiming is to turn the entire speaker body. The manual specifically advises against attempting to move the tweeter independently.

My Equipment:
Spoiler!
post #1385 of 1389 Old 02-05-2016, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Are the Motion LX16's overkill for side or rear surrounds, (room is 24' x 24' x 12'), for strictly movies and gaming?
I have been considering Motion 4's all around but with the current good deals on the LX16's, I'm considering them, even though their wall mounting options are not idea for me room. Maybe LX16s for sides and Motion 4's for rears?
Any advice/opinions greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sean
post #1386 of 1389 Old 02-05-2016, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCJ View Post
Are the Motion LX16's overkill for side or rear surrounds, (room is 24' x 24' x 12'), for strictly movies and gaming?
I have been considering Motion 4's all around but with the current good deals on the LX16's, I'm considering them, even though their wall mounting options are not idea for me room. Maybe LX16s for sides and Motion 4's for rears?
Any advice/opinions greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sean
If you can get a real deal on them, then do it.

If you're debating on wether to place the LX16s as sides or rears, place them at which ever location is farther away since they can handle more power.
If you sides are about 15ft from the LP and the rears are 10 ft from the LP, then place them as sides.

In all reality, it probably won't have an audible difference. The above gives you a justifiable reason to go with one or the other.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4100
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s/P363 center/HTD Level 2 Tower surrounds
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
post #1387 of 1389 Old 02-05-2016, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
If you can get a real deal on them, then do it.

If you're debating on wether to place the LX16s as sides or rears, place them at which ever location is farther away since they can handle more power.
If you sides are about 15ft from the LP and the rears are 10 ft from the LP, then place them as sides.

In all reality, it probably won't have an audible difference. The above gives you a justifiable reason to go with one or the other.
Thanks for the advice. I sit 11 feet from each side surround and 13 feet from each rear surround. My current surround wiring height is 8 feet high so in order to get the best Atmos response, I need to tilt all the surrounds down toward my MLP (I can't lower the wiring unfortunately). Easy to do with the Motion 4's, not so easy with the LX16's. The guys at Martin Logan didn't recommend hanging them, little confidence in the threaded connection in the back holding the weight and not stripping out. They only recommended shelf mounting. If I can find a good set of LX16's I was going to use them as side surrounds (maybe placed on floating shelves). With the Atmos enabled surround, it seems that most of the sound is coming from the sides versus the rears, hence the idea of putting the better speaker on the sides, using my Motion 4's at the rear where less input is sent. Is this correct thinking?
post #1388 of 1389 Old Today, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hey guys, I picked up a pair of motion 4's for my front and a motion 8 center and am looking for a sub now. Is there a noticeable difference between the Dynamo 500 and 700? I won't be trying to shake the house with a sub since I have a newborn in the house.

Thanks!
post #1389 of 1389 Old Today, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstang12 View Post
Hey guys, I picked up a pair of motion 4's for my front and a motion 8 center and am looking for a sub now. Is there a noticeable difference between the Dynamo 500 and 700? I won't be trying to shake the house with a sub since I have a newborn in the house.

Thanks!
If you're not looking to shake the house, but have the budget for a $500 sub, I would lean toward the SB-1000 from SVS over the ML subs.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
HTD Level 3 Review
Receiver : Denon x4100
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 40s/P363 center/HTD Level 2 Tower surrounds
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor 50 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version