Martin Logan Owners Thread - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 121Likes

Old 02-04-2016, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSteward View Post
@bshoe54 Missed a bit. No point in biwiring or biamping until the speakers are broken in. You won't hear them at their best until they have some hours on them. Then it's a case of suck it and see. If you biwire and can hear an improvement (rather than just a difference) then go with it. I had my 20s and 40s biamped and didn't notice any difference. I replaced the stock plates with 12 gauge wire though. I plug the input into the high and then run tbe jumper into the low.
Thanks for the advice. I have the inputs going into the low side right now. The Magnolia guy advised this setup. I will definitely change out the plates to 12 ga. wire jumpers though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
@bshoe54 I assume you mean the Motion 30 centre, since the 40 is a tower. I don't think the centre has to compete with your surrounds. The mains will have more effect, but by the time you finish dialling the speakers in, you should be good. I'd go with the 35XT so that the drivers match the fronts. Pity there's not room for the 50, but that's life, I guess.

As far as outriggers go, I'd be tempted to try them without, and the with, after the break in period of 100 hours, and see if you notice any appreciable difference.
Thanks. Yes, I meant Motion 30 for the center. I edited my original post to correct the error.

After hooking everything up this week, the 15's sound great with the 30 and the 60XTs. I think I am going to keep them.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshoe54 View Post
Thanks. Yes, I meant Motion 30 for the center. I edited my original post to correct the error.

After hooking everything up this week, the 15's sound great with the 30 and the 60XTs. I think I am going to keep them.
Sounds good. They'll only get better as you break them in. There can't be a vast difference between the 15s and 35s, in any case.

I'm still torn 3 ways over my centre. Either keep my Polk, replace it with a Motion 30, in which case my Motion 40s will go to my front channels with the Theos as a dedicated 2 channel system, or a Motiv X and keep the Theos as fronts.

Plenty of time to make a decision while I'm saving.

Spoiler!
Old 02-04-2016, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking to get in-ceiling speaker Martin Logan Helos 22 (the stereo one) for my quite small bathroom installation. Wanted to understand if Helos 22 has a tweeter mounted in anaimable stem. In other words if it is possible to pivot the tweeter stem topoint towards the primary listening position?

Last edited by bordo32; 02-04-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordo32 View Post
I am looking to get in-ceiling speaker Martin Logan Helos 22 (the stereo one) for my quite small bathroom installation. Wanted to understand if Helos 22 has a tweeter mounted in anaimable stem. In other words if it is possible to pivot the tweeter stem topoint towards the primary listening position?
Yes, it does. There is one going for a song locally ($150 instead of the normal $600) so I had a look at the manual for it. It gives instructions for aiming the tweeter.

Just in case it matters to you, the method of aiming is to turn the entire speaker body. The manual specifically advises against attempting to move the tweeter independently.

Spoiler!
Old 02-05-2016, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Are the Motion LX16's overkill for side or rear surrounds, (room is 24' x 24' x 12'), for strictly movies and gaming?
I have been considering Motion 4's all around but with the current good deals on the LX16's, I'm considering them, even though their wall mounting options are not idea for me room. Maybe LX16s for sides and Motion 4's for rears?
Any advice/opinions greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sean
Old 02-05-2016, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCJ View Post
Are the Motion LX16's overkill for side or rear surrounds, (room is 24' x 24' x 12'), for strictly movies and gaming?
I have been considering Motion 4's all around but with the current good deals on the LX16's, I'm considering them, even though their wall mounting options are not idea for me room. Maybe LX16s for sides and Motion 4's for rears?
Any advice/opinions greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sean
If you can get a real deal on them, then do it.

If you're debating on wether to place the LX16s as sides or rears, place them at which ever location is farther away since they can handle more power.
If you sides are about 15ft from the LP and the rears are 10 ft from the LP, then place them as sides.

In all reality, it probably won't have an audible difference. The above gives you a justifiable reason to go with one or the other.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 60XT/Motion 40s - HTD Level 2 Tower surrounds
Extra Speakers : Pioneer FS52s/BS22s - Infinity Primus 363s/163s - RBH R5Bi(2pair)/R5Ci
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
Old 02-05-2016, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
If you can get a real deal on them, then do it.

If you're debating on wether to place the LX16s as sides or rears, place them at which ever location is farther away since they can handle more power.
If you sides are about 15ft from the LP and the rears are 10 ft from the LP, then place them as sides.

In all reality, it probably won't have an audible difference. The above gives you a justifiable reason to go with one or the other.
Thanks for the advice. I sit 11 feet from each side surround and 13 feet from each rear surround. My current surround wiring height is 8 feet high so in order to get the best Atmos response, I need to tilt all the surrounds down toward my MLP (I can't lower the wiring unfortunately). Easy to do with the Motion 4's, not so easy with the LX16's. The guys at Martin Logan didn't recommend hanging them, little confidence in the threaded connection in the back holding the weight and not stripping out. They only recommended shelf mounting. If I can find a good set of LX16's I was going to use them as side surrounds (maybe placed on floating shelves). With the Atmos enabled surround, it seems that most of the sound is coming from the sides versus the rears, hence the idea of putting the better speaker on the sides, using my Motion 4's at the rear where less input is sent. Is this correct thinking?
Old 02-08-2016, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Hey guys, I picked up a pair of motion 4's for my front and a motion 8 center and am looking for a sub now. Is there a noticeable difference between the Dynamo 500 and 700? I won't be trying to shake the house with a sub since I have a newborn in the house.

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2016, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstang12 View Post
Hey guys, I picked up a pair of motion 4's for my front and a motion 8 center and am looking for a sub now. Is there a noticeable difference between the Dynamo 500 and 700? I won't be trying to shake the house with a sub since I have a newborn in the house.

Thanks!
If you're not looking to shake the house, but have the budget for a $500 sub, I would lean toward the SB-1000 from SVS over the ML subs.

Extra Speakers : Pioneer FS52s/BS22s - Infinity Primus 363s/163s - RBH R5Bi(2pair)/R5Ci
Old 02-12-2016, 01:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Martin Logan ESL fans,

Although new here on AVS, I'm far from new with regards to my experience with electrostatics, from EL57s in the late 50s (I'm 72) to EL63, KLH9s, Dayton Wright XG8Mk2 (then a decade of bipolar magnetics with Tympani 1Us through 1ds), then CLS 1s, CLS 2s, Statements, Sound Lab A3s, Pristines, M1s, and now in my house in Columbus, Martin Logan ESLs plus three other systems.

Reason I'm saying all of this is that I've been around the block a couple times on setting these up. I'm still fairly new with my current room and still have a bit to do with regards to room treatments, but I encourage anyone with ML ESL to give this a try

True, a little radical, but give it a try. In a room about 14x18 I'm about 40% out into the room using the wide wall. I use almost no toe-in and my listening position for much of my material is on that bean bag, which is only another two or three feet our from the centerline of the speakers. If I have multiple listeners we have to do it inline .... like butt to nuts.

Again, this doesn't work on all material, but for real music with real instruments recorded in a real acoustic space, it's magical, and a center channel become laughable. Not great on some early 'stereo' that was right, left and center such as the first few Beatles album or maybe the Monkeys, but for most classic rock, almost all classical, all jazz and all big band, just try it. I dare ya.

Speakers are 73" from the front wall and 95" wide. Speakers firing at the back wall, not me. Try this for example with the Harry James, Still Harry After All These Years or with the Three Blind Mice recordings.

Or any of the recordings that I list on this thread.

Top 10 Tracks to Test Your Sound System

Old 02-12-2016, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
Martin Logan ESL fans,

Although new here on AVS, I'm far from new with regards to my experience with electrostatics, from EL57s in the late 50s (I'm 72) to EL63, KLH9s, Dayton Wright XG8Mk2 (then a decade of bipolar magnetics with Tympani 1Us through 1ds), then CLS 1s, CLS 2s, Statements, Sound Lab A3s, Pristines, M1s, and now in my house in Columbus, Martin Logan ESLs plus three other systems.

Reason I'm saying all of this is that I've been around the block a couple times on setting these up. I'm still fairly new with my current room and still have a bit to do with regards to room treatments, but I encourage anyone with ML ESL to give this a try

True, a little radical, but give it a try. In a room about 14x18 I'm about 40% out into the room using the wide wall. I use almost no toe-in and my listening position for much of my material is on that bean bag, which is only another two or three feet our from the centerline of the speakers. If I have multiple listeners we have to do it inline .... like butt to nuts.

Again, this doesn't work on all material, but for real music with real instruments recorded in a real acoustic space, it's magical, and a center channel become laughable. Not great on some early 'stereo' that was right, left and center such as the first few Beatles album or maybe the Monkeys, but for most classic rock, almost all classical, all jazz and all big band, just try it. I dare ya.

Speakers are 73" from the front wall and 95" wide. Speakers firing at the back wall, not me. Try this for example with the Harry James, Still Harry After All These Years or with the Three Blind Mice recordings.

Or any of the recordings that I list on this thread.

Top 10 Tracks to Test Your Sound System
That's quite a nice collection of vinyl you have.

Room treatments have been some of my favorite upgrades.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
That's quite a nice collection of vinyl you have.

Room treatments have been some of my favorite upgrades.

Thanks. The vinyl is also all over the wall behind me too plus another room in the basement as there are about 14,000 of them.

I've been experimenting with the room treatment and I think I'm going to go a little different direction to these for the wall in front of the speakers.

http://www.acoustimac.com/acousticart/music/
Old 02-12-2016, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Haha, you seem nuts but that's a gorgeous turntable!

How do you think the ESL's hold up against electrostats from yesteryear?
Old 02-13-2016, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post
Haha, you seem nuts but that's a gorgeous turntable!

How do you think the ESL's hold up against electrostats from yesteryear?

"you seem nuts "

Yes, I have two.

I've owned ESLs for close to 60 years and they're still not for everyone because of positioning requirements, but they're what your January Absolute Sounds says on pages 92 and 214. The issue isn't online until they sell a few more magazines in print.

And they will play very loudly which definitely wasn't true at one time.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:51 PM

Certainly no complaints about sound levels from mine. Running Theos electrostats as a 2 channel system, even using a home theatre receiver which is intended for 7 channel use, achieves more volume than even I require. I'd say it's crystal clear, and to my ear it is, but I'm not fool enough to think I'm getting the best out of them. I'm sure they would really sing with amplification designed for the task.

Spoiler!
Old 02-14-2016, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Certainly no complaints about sound levels from mine. Running Theos electrostats as a 2 channel system, even using a home theatre receiver which is intended for 7 channel use, achieves more volume than even I require. I'd say it's crystal clear, and to my ear it is, but I'm not fool enough to think I'm getting the best out of them. I'm sure they would really sing with amplification designed for the task.

Due to the capacitive load and drop in impedance at 18 - 20K they present some real challenges to mid fi amplifiers. They're much better than they used to be due to how hard they're chasing the HT industry.

I tried them a couple of times with my Yamaha that sounds just fine in the system with the Elacs, but they clearly were not happy driving the MLs. I got it out of there before I blew something up. What I've found that's real cheap that sounds great in the MLs and that's Norwegian Hegel integrated amps. The H160 and the new bigger H360. I saw Hegel integrateds so frequently at the major audio shows (overseas manufactures bringing heavy speakers and they didn't want to cart around 500 lb of preamps and tube amps.
KJSteward likes this.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 02-14-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
New MartinLogan owner here. Just did a 5.1 system in my open concept family room using five EM-ICs and a Dynamo 700W, powered by a Denon AVR. Once I got everything calibrated properly, this thing sounds incredible! And best of all, it's super discrete and blends in well with the whole room. Floor speakers just wouldn't look right in here. I couldn't be happier!
TomC1315 likes this.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggiePhil View Post
New MartinLogan owner here. Just did a 5.1 system in my open concept family room using five EM-ICs and a Dynamo 700W, powered by a Denon AVR. Once I got everything calibrated properly, this thing sounds incredible! And best of all, it's super discrete and blends in well with the whole room. Floor speakers just wouldn't look right in here. I couldn't be happier!

If you mean ESL, get em way out from the wall or you'll lose nearly everything that you own these for.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
If you mean ESL, get em way out from the wall or you'll lose nearly everything that you own these for.
Say again?
Old 02-14-2016, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Say again?

If you mean ESLs, get em way out from the wall or you'll lose nearly everything that you own these for.

Positioning sorta like this works very well. Back wave as important as the front.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:45 PM

They're EM-ICs. ESLs are floor speakers.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
They're EM-ICs. ESLs are floor speakers.
You'll need a large bean bag to experience your in-ceiling speakers the way Scott does.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You'll need a large bean bag to experience your in-ceiling speakers the way Scott does.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't need in ceiling speakers to experience it.

But a larger bean bag? I couldn't find one these days. I think that fad (like vinyl) was over 30 years ago or so.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:42 AM

Quote:
I guess what I'm saying is that I don't need in ceiling speakers to experience it.

But a larger bean bag? I couldn't find one these days. I think that fad (like vinyl) was over 30 years ago or so.
Scott, I don't even know how to respond to these posts anymore. You are aware Martin Logan has made an in-ceiling speaker that's not electrostatic correct?

You also mention vinyl as a fad that was over 30 years ago, when in fact vinyl sales are steadily going up every year...........If anything, by definition of the word "fad", it is a "fad" now and was the simply the status quo 30 years ago.

Anyway, back to speaker talk.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Scott, I don't even know how to respond to these posts anymore. You are aware Martin Logan has made an in-ceiling speaker that's not electrostatic correct?

You also mention vinyl as a fad that was over 30 years ago, when in fact vinyl sales are steadily going up every year...........If anything, by definition of the word "fad", it is a "fad" now and was the simply the status quo 30 years ago.

Anyway, back to speaker talk.

"You are aware Martin Logan has made an in-ceiling speaker that's not electrostatic correct?"

No. Why on earth would people put speakers in ceilings anyway?

"You also mention vinyl as a fad that was over 30 years ago"

Vinyl was considered dead 30 years ago. You know, 1986, the music world was quickly taken over by digital and CD. However, I never left analog. I have 14,000 albums.

I'm very well of trends over the last five years or so and very pleased. So I guess I don't quite understand your point.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 02-17-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
No. Why on earth would people put speakers in ceilings anyway?
"And best of all, it's super discrete and blends in well with the whole room. Floor speakers just wouldn't look right in here. I couldn't be happier!"
Old 02-17-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
"And best of all, it's super discrete and blends in well with the whole room. Floor speakers just wouldn't look right in here. I couldn't be happier!"
For the reasons I mentioned in my earlier post.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, there you go. As long as you're happy.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
few questions:

1. 50XT vs Stage X for center? I currently have the 50XT and wondering if it will match up with the Ethos or should I look into selling it and getting the Stage X?

2. For Fronts: I have the Motion 20's and with more power they sound pretty good but lacking to my tastes...been looking at the 60XT's for awhile but for the past few weeks been stopping by and listening to the Ethos and have fallen in love with them but for the price wondering if I would just be happy with the 60XT's...living room is 12x20ish with 8ft ceilings and hardwood floors...MLP is about 14ft from my fronts now which are a foot from the wall and projector screen...question is would 60XT's fit better then the Ethos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor 50 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry
taboola here