Martin Logan Owners Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 197Likes

Old 02-28-2016, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4766 Post(s)
Liked: 11140
Mornin'.

scottvamp and KJSteward like this.

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2016, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Mornin'.
I want one! Where did you get yours?

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 3 Towers/RBH R5Bi Front and Rear Heights
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
Old 03-01-2016, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 4766 Post(s)
Liked: 11140
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
I want one! Where did you get yours?
It does give the coffee a nice high end flavor. I got it from my dealer years ago.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:21 AM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 3475 Post(s)
Liked: 3449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Mornin'.

I need to ask for one of those next time I visit Martin Logan at Cedia !

Martin Logan speakers are 10% off this month ( March ) - give us a call at AV Science if you are looking to get some !

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Old 03-07-2016, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Need some quick suggestions on front stage as I already ordered a Salamander Miami wall mount cabinet from Magnolia in Sacramento (Roseville actually) to redo my living room which is also the only theater area. It is a floating 85" wide cabinet with no center channel cutout.

Was going to run 5.1 system with rear ML ceiling surrounds and a single ML wireless dynamo 700 but the front stage, as mentioned, is where I am stuck as I can not listen to one my options at Magnolia...

Front Stage Options:

1. ML Motion 40's with Motion 30 center sitting on top of cabinet (acceptable by wife but possibly ugly center on cabinet could change her mind once its home)

2. ML Motion 40's with Axis center in wall between cabinet and television

3. ML Vanquish all across the front or their 8" model on left and right with center Vanquish.

The third option would obviously be the most expensive and possibly disappointing, although I have no idea how that kind of front stage would sound in home from experience if anyone here can share.

I also plan on possibly buying a Sony 940C which looks good even with those side mounted speakers but with towers on each side it will look a bit tacky I feel...Still it just comes down to guessing how that Vanquish front stage will sound.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 3475 Post(s)
Liked: 3449
Quote:
Originally Posted by flomofo View Post
Need some quick suggestions on front stage as I already ordered a Salamander Miami wall mount cabinet from Magnolia in Sacramento (Roseville actually) to redo my living room which is also the only theater area. It is a floating 85" wide cabinet with no center channel cutout.

Was going to run 5.1 system with rear ML ceiling surrounds and a single ML wireless dynamo 700 but the front stage, as mentioned, is where I am stuck as I can not listen to one my options at Magnolia...

Front Stage Options:

1. ML Motion 40's with Motion 30 center sitting on top of cabinet (acceptable by wife but possibly ugly center on cabinet could change her mind once its home)

2. ML Motion 40's with Axis center in wall between cabinet and television

3. ML Vanquish all across the front or their 8" model on left and right with center Vanquish.

The third option would obviously be the most expensive and possibly disappointing, although I have no idea how that kind of front stage would sound in home from experience if anyone here can share.

I also plan on possibly buying a Sony 940C which looks good even with those side mounted speakers but with towers on each side it will look a bit tacky I feel...Still it just comes down to guessing how that Vanquish front stage will sound.
I'd go with option #1. By the way, I'm in the Sacramento area and I have Motion 40's in my theater, if you want to hear a better setup than Magnolia will ever have. PM or email me.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Old 03-09-2016, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm hoping to get some recommendations. What models would you guys use for a smaller room setup, around a 12x15? I would like to do 5.1
Old 03-09-2016, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by werdage81 View Post
I'm hoping to get some recommendations. What models would you guys use for a smaller room setup, around a 12x15? I would like to do 5.1
My room is 11 x 17.5 and I am using a Stage X center with Theos L & R fronts. I am very happy with the set up. However my small room is fully treated. Nothing like distortion free listening especially if you listen at reference levels. For surrounds I use my old Triad Gold dipoles.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Remember that the new ML ESL-X will be out in April.

Screen will be about 50 sq in bigger and two 8" in the woofer box instead of one.

So after only a year with the ESL, I guess it will be time to dive in again.
scottvamp likes this.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post

Screen will be about 50 sq in bigger and two 8" in the woofer box instead of one.

I don't need more bass but I'm definitely interested in the bigger panel. The sweet spot in my room is VERY small with my EM-ESL.

I wonder how these will compare to the Theos and if they will cannibalize Theos sales.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Quote:

Ha. Now he understands the "woofer box".

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 3 Towers/RBH R5Bi Front and Rear Heights
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
Old 03-11-2016, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Ha. Now he understands the "woofer box".

You think? My big set in Cali has none of what you claim it has. No woofing woofer and no crossover.

And I had a pair of these for about 20 years. Find the woofing "woofer box" or the "drivers" or the "crossover"

http://cdn.stereophile.com/images/clspic135885.jpg

Last edited by Scotth3886; 03-11-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen View Post
I don't need more bass but I'm definitely interested in the bigger panel. The sweet spot in my room is VERY small with my EM-ESL.

I wonder how these will compare to the Theos and if they will cannibalize Theos sales.

That part of the ML line is getting on in years. Theos, Ethos and EM are all about five+ years old. I expect that we'll see them all replaced over the next year or so. The cheaper EM is not being discontinued at this point. That's still a big jump from the $2,500 of the EM to the $4k of the ESM-X.

" The sweet spot in my room is VERY small with my EM-ESL."

Even my Sound labs have a somewhat narrow sweet spot. Of course that's not helped by how far I have them pulled out into the room. 3d soundstage is sure helped by doing that though.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 60
MartinLogan has released their new Renaissance ESL 15A loudspeaker!
As a high-end model near the top of their reserve series, the Renaissance ESL 15A integrates technology never before seen in an electrostatic loudspeaker, including Anthem Room Correction (ARC), to optimize performance in your room! They also have a new Airframe Blade design that offers ultra-high rigidity and electrical and acoustical isolation, significantly minimizing intermodulation distortion caused by vibration and resonance, as well as dual 12" woofers with MartinLogan's PoweredForce Forward Bass technology that virtually eliminates front-wall bass reflections while providing far more placement flexibility.
Available in Dark Cherry and Walnut wood finishes, as well as Gloss Black and seven other premium finishes, the Renaissance ESL 15A will fit into virtually any décor and look as amazing as they sound!

Can't wait to hear these. Think they are about 20K a pair. Actually 32k a pair in Canada.

Last edited by maxfli44; 03-14-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:

The Electromotion ELS's are some of the best sounding speakers I have owned. Was looking forward to the ELS-X but if they are around 4k, that's too rich for my blood and I don't really need the two 8" woofer bass section. I would have to look into Magnepans next.

FYI - anyone having a CITI Bank credit card can get the ELS's for 30% off direct from the distribution company with FREE shipping. It was what pushed me to give in and buy mine.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfli44 View Post
MartinLogan has released their new Renaissance ESL 15A loudspeaker!
As a high-end model near the top of their reserve series, the Renaissance ESL 15A integrates technology never before seen in an electrostatic loudspeaker, including Anthem Room Correction (ARC), to optimize performance in your room! They also have a new Airframe Blade design that offers ultra-high rigidity and electrical and acoustical isolation, significantly minimizing intermodulation distortion caused by vibration and resonance, as well as dual 12" woofers with MartinLogan's PoweredForce Forward Bass technology that virtually eliminates front-wall bass reflections while providing far more placement flexibility.
Available in Dark Cherry and Walnut wood finishes, as well as Gloss Black and seven other premium finishes, the Renaissance ESL 15A will fit into virtually any décor and look as amazing as they sound!

Can't wait to hear these. Think they are about 20K a pair.

http://www.martinlogan.com/renaissan...-15a/specs.php

That drop to a 1/2 ohm at 20k concerns me a bit. I've blown up a few amps due to ESLs before so it wouldn't exactly be a new experience.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvamp View Post
The Electromotion ELS's are some of the best sounding speakers I have owned. Was looking forward to the ELS-X but if they are around 4k, that's too rich for my blood and I don't really need the two 8" woofer bass section. I would have to look into Magnepans next.

FYI - anyone having a CITI Bank credit card can get the ELS's for 30% off direct from the distribution company with FREE shipping. It was what pushed me to give in and buy mine.

"The Electromotion ELS's are some of the best sounding speakers I have owned"

You know what, I agree. I have had far larger ESLs. In fact all of them have been, but boi I've been happy with these. These are small enough that they become almost a line source and completely, totally get out of the way of the soundstage. I do very near field with them way out from the wall and you hear not a thing coming from the face of the speaker except for the occasional click or pop on an LP (and I mean occasional).

I don't think I've ever owned anything as transparent as these, not even the EL-57s. The ML EM ESLs are very balanced, other than the bottom octave, but for what's really important to me, I haven't beat them yet. Sure, the larger x-stat panel will do large scale instruments more realistically, but they physically get in the way of the soundstage so listening requires lights out.

"I would have to look into Magnepans next"

I have had both many times during my life. I looked hard and heavy at 3.7i and while they have better mid bass realism when set up to do nearfield like I like, they bloat the center image, so Jenifer Warnes sounds like her mouth is a foot wide. Off center a few degrees then they are fine again, and still don't have the transparency that the MLs have. That's still, however, another option for me is to have the ESL-X and the 3.7i

Last edited by Scotth3886; 03-11-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:09 AM

I also have Tekton Pendragon's LCR. They sound amazing but I can't get enough of these ELS's. I went back and forth with them twice now and I just keep being blown away by there soundstage and clarity.
Have an Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2 coming in today. Going to compare it to my Rotel RMB1095, both amps have 200Watts to 5 channels.
Anyone here running Electrostats with Emotiva XPA's???
Scotth3886 likes this.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:13 AM

Current setup, been living in rentals for a few years now. 106" screen hands in front of the tv
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (2).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	554.4 KB
ID:	1306953  
Scotth3886 likes this.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I also have Tekton Pendragon's LCR. They sound amazing but I can't get enough of these ELS's. I went back and forth with them twice now and I just keep being blown away by there soundstage and clarity.
Have an Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2 coming in today. Going to compare it to my Rotel RMB1095, both amps have 200Watts to 5 channels.

If that's your room in your avatar, for grins, giggles, etc., trying pulling your ESLs way further out into the room. Climb in nearfield and report back !!!!!! Listen to real music by real musicians playing real instruments in a real space. As I've said 145,765,689 times on AVS, try the Sheffield Harry James or the Three Blind Mice. Shhhhh, don't tell the wife.

True, pretty extreme

Last edited by Scotth3886; 03-11-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Current setup, been living in rentals for a few years now. 106" screen hands in front of the tv

Cool, grab the speakers and pull them out. Way too close to the wall
Old 03-11-2016, 11:22 AM

I did a lot of testing and research on the ELS's. You have to remember these are not like the old school electrostats. Being on the ML forum and talking with other members the optimal distance from the wall with these is 24" to the panel. I have tried 2-4' and right now they are 36" and sound excellent. Too far off the wall they loose some detail. Remember that they are bipole and need some reflection to generate that soundstage.
According to your photo scott, yours appear to be about 4' from your listening couch, which seems WAY too close to me.
Scotth3886 likes this.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did a lot of testing and research on the ELS's. You have to remember these are not like the old school electrostats. Being on the ML forum and talking with other members the optimal distance from the wall with these is 24" to the panel. I have tried 2-4' and right now they are 36" and sound excellent. Too far off the wall they loose some detail.
According to your photo scott, yours appear to be about 4' from your listening couch, which seems WAY too close to me.

I'm at 73" out and I generally sit in the red bean bag. Soundstage and realism is breathtaking. Plus you hear nothing coming from the face of the speakers (depending on recording of course). This trick doesn't work with the some early 'stereo' such as early Beatles or Monkeys, etc. that was hard right hard left and center. On the right recording though .....

"Talking with other members the optimal distance from the wall with these is 24" to the panel"

I've seen that many times and here I am yelling that hey guys you're so missing out on the magic.

I noticed on the recent TAS review of the Quad 2822, they also figured it out

scottvamp likes this.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 03-11-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You have to jigger them around a bit for the bass, but a roughed in rule of thumb is 38% out into the room.

ML says .615 of the ceiling height. Neither number works for me. I'm out even further. You have to stay away from 25% and 50% as they are null points for bass.

And in re your earlier comment. I've had ESLs since my first set of Quads in 1959. I've had just about everything on the market from KLH 9s, Dayton Wright XG8 Mk2s, original CLSs, Statements, Sound Lab Pristines, A3s and M1s, Plus many Maggies from Tympani I-Us up

Last edited by Scotth3886; 03-11-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
Like any dipole they are very sensitive to placement, especially in an untreated room, where comb filtering can change the sound significantly with small changes in placement and toe-in. Placing heavy absorption (or diffusion) behind them greatly reduces their sensitivity to distance to the wall behind. Unlike some (most?) other planar speakers, the curved ML diaphragm (and their hybrid design using a conventional woofer) also makes them sensitive to sidewall reflections so side wall treatment may help. As frequency goes up they become more directional so interaction with the floor and ceiling would be minimal, except many models tilt the panel up a bit so you do have ceiling reflections to contend with if the ceiling is not treated.
Scotth3886 likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Old 03-14-2016, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
There were a bunch of ML employees using Emotiva amps. That being said, I tried mine with Rotel and Parasound amps and now use a Rogue Audio Eighty-Eight 60W tube amp (40W in Triode mode). I did not care for the solid state amps at all with the EM-ESL. I found them to be lean and harsh sounding.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen View Post
There were a bunch of ML employees using Emotiva amps. That being said, I tried mine with Rotel and Parasound amps and now use a Rogue Audio Eighty-Eight 60W tube amp (40W in Triode mode). I did not care for the solid state amps at all with the EM-ESL. I found them to be lean and harsh sounding.

You'd think that and I always have.

I got back into the hobby about a year or so ago and bought a Hegel because it was cheap as a temporary amp until I could get something better. I've always (mostly) used tube amps with ESLs over 50+ years or so. Surprisingly, I've found the Hegel to be a little on the warm and lush side. I'm happy enough that I might get the new H360. Can't believe I'm saying this in re SS.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Guys,

I have been in practise of running my front speakers SMALL and crossover set between 60-80hz.

As the Montis have its own dedicated sub and goes down to 29hz low frequency, will it be ideal to set them as LARGE / Full range speakers for watching movies, or, set them SMALL and set crossover to 40HZ. I am also thinking to set the StageX at 80hz crossover since it only goes down to 69hz.

Would appreciate your opinions on this.

Thanks in advance.

My System:
Oppo BDP 105D, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Pre-Amp, Anthem A5 Amp,Rotel RMB-1075 Amp, Anthem AVM60 Pre/Pro, Martin Logan Montis,Stage X, EM-FX2, FX, Balancedforce 212 sub, Paradigm Sa-15R 8" ceiling speakers, JVC DLA-X700B, 130" screen,Van Den Hul The Name RCA & XLR and Magnum hybrid cables,ISOTek Evo3 and premiere, GIK Acoustics .
Old 03-17-2016, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Try it & see how it sounds to you.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcincotta View Post
Hello,

I was looking for a pair of "high end" speakers because I listen to music more than HT watching. I auditioned a bunch of different speakers and finally settled on the Summit X. In a word, the stage presence the speaker has is breathtaking. It actually makes you think the music is right there in front of you, live. Also, there was a noticeable difference (at least to me) in the sound of the speakers after the recommended 80 hours of break-in time. Several months ago I then purchased the stage for my center channel speaker (I was using a legacy center channel speaker) and the smoothness the three speakers has when I watch movies is out of this world. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with ML speakers.
Ditto. I've have had a pair of Summit Xs for a couple of weeks now and have become addicted to them. Years ago I owned a pair of Ohm F speakers and then regrettably moved on to Acustate X (sp?) speakers (full range electrostatics with built in amps). I'm using Def. Tech. 3000s for HT and the MartinLogan speakers for music. I think it's the clarity and presence that grabs me -- also the base is deep and powerful. A one hour listening session often turns into a 2 or 3 hour session.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor 50 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry