Martin Logan Owners Thread - Page 57 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 132Likes
post #1681 of 1688 Unread 08-19-2016, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
All. I'm looking for a complete in-ceiling home theater system. Is there a general consensus on the EM-R in ceiling speaker?

These look very promising L/C/R. What would be your thoughts and recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1688 Unread Yesterday, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thought I would show y'all the plot from my first ARC run on the 11A's using the PBK.

It really improved the musicality of the 11A's by adding a little weight and perfecting the blend between the woofers and esl panels. Great feature!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ARC on 11A.pdf (35.6 KB, 13 views)
post #1683 of 1688 Unread Yesterday, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah50 View Post
Thought I would show y'all the plot from my first ARC run on the 11A's using the PBK.

It really improved the musicality of the 11A's by adding a little weight and perfecting the blend between the woofers and esl panels. Great feature!

It's not too bad just the way it was. Did you mess around trying it get it as right as you could before using the equalizer thing?
post #1684 of 1688 Unread Yesterday, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
It's not too bad just the way it was. Did you mess around trying it get it as right as you could before using the equalizer thing?
Didn't spend much time dialing-in manually. Adjusted toe-in for a good stereo image across the seating area and then a little back and forth for balance. Can't do too much due to WAF, but it's a brand new room so I built it with good basic dimensions, about 16x23. So with my limited ability to adjust placement, ARC is super nice.

Hard to put a finger on why the improvement was so nice since the adjustments were quite small. I think perhaps that it just integrated the woofer and panel so well that it became "one" and musicality took a significant step up. The report also says the eq went to 400hz which is above the 300hz crossover, so maybe this makes sense, although I thought the eq was supposed to be limited to the woofer only.

In any case, very pleased.
post #1685 of 1688 Unread Yesterday, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah50 View Post
Didn't spend much time dialing-in manually. Adjusted toe-in for a good stereo image across the seating area and then a little back and forth for balance. Can't do too much due to WAF, but it's a brand new room so I built it with good basic dimensions, about 16x23. So with my limited ability to adjust placement, ARC is super nice.

Hard to put a finger on why the improvement was so nice since the adjustments were quite small. I think perhaps that it just integrated the woofer and panel so well that it became "one" and musicality took a significant step up. The report also says the eq went to 400hz which is above the 300hz crossover, so maybe this makes sense, although I thought the eq was supposed to be limited to the woofer only.

In any case, very pleased.

"report also says the eq went to 400hz which is above the 300hz crossover"

Sure it make sense because at the crossover point the sub doesn't just shut down and you're rolling it off at xx db per octave.

And yeah, I've found out manually that just a degree or a half inch here or there makes a bunch of difference. Took me a year to get there manually. When I get the 11s or the 13s, I'll still do it that for a long time before I try the ARC.
post #1686 of 1688 Unread Yesterday, 04:09 PM

Quote:
"report also says the eq went to 400hz which is above the 300hz crossover"

Sure it make sense because at the crossover point the sub doesn't just shut down and you're rolling it off at xx db per octave.

And yeah, I've found out manually that just a degree or a half inch here or there makes a bunch of difference. Took me a year to get there manually. When I get the 11s or the 13s, I'll still do it that for a long time before I try the ARC.
Yes, but I wonder if the eq above 300hz actually touched the esl panel or was it only adjusting the woofer only?

I'll be playing with the location a lot more after the break-in is complete and all my permanent furniture arrives.
post #1687 of 1688 Unread Yesterday, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I think Dennis Churn said it was woofer only.

And yeah room content is one reason it took me so long. I started with a near empty room, which was just heinous. I'm also using 2 w700 subs so the bass goes a little lower but its still more dynamic with the subs off. I've always had this issue except for the time i was using electrostatic subs. Those were fast enough. And ML does a fairly decent job with their built in woofers. Still not good enough though.
post #1688 of 1688 Unread Today, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I think Dennis Churn said it was woofer only.

And yeah room content is one reason it took me so long. I started with a near empty room, which was just heinous. I'm also using 2 w700 subs so the bass goes a little lower but its still more dynamic with the subs off. I've always had this issue except for the time i was using electrostatic subs. Those were fast enough. And ML does a fairly decent job with their built in woofers. Still not good enough though.
Yes, now that our season is coming to a close this week I'll have more time to experiment. I'm going to bring my Hsu TN-1220 subs out of retirement and see how they play with the 11A's. Not sure about how well they will work or be needed for music, but I think they can definitely be used for LFE. If they work at least ok, I'll probably get something a little up-to-date after I complete the Atmos setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor 50 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry