Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #181 of 1041 Old 04-19-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I think the ML Motion series is great. I have 4 LX16s and a Motion C. However, if I were to get towers I think I would get towers with a tweeter, mid range, and woofer. For twice the price of the Motion 15, the only difference the Motion 20 gives you is two 5.5" drivers rather than one 5.25" driver (no true woofer). I would either go for the Motion 15s or towers from another manufacturer.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1041 Old 04-19-2013, 11:50 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the feedback, for the retail pricing of the bookself motion 15 I would imagine they are really great speakers, but I think I would rather have floor speakers. I may change my mind though. Still looking into it though.

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60
Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103
LG BD550 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
post #183 of 1041 Old 04-19-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussader View Post

I think the ML Motion series is great. I have 4 LX16s and a Motion C. However, if I were to get towers I think I would get towers with a tweeter, mid range, and woofer. For twice the price of the Motion 15, the only difference the Motion 20 gives you is two 5.5" drivers rather than one 5.25" driver (no true woofer). I would either go for the Motion 15s or towers from another manufacturer.

So Motion 15's or if I want floor speakers don't get Martin Logan? Really?

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60
Marantz SR7007
Oppo BDP-103
LG BD550 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
post #184 of 1041 Old 04-19-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDVD78 View Post

if I want floor speakers don't get Martin Logan? Really?

Really. I would want something with a driver for the low end. With this being the ML owners thread, I am sure my opinion will be in the minority. Even though I love my MartinLogans, I gotta call them like I see them.

Now on the other hand, if electrostats were in the budget.....

David
post #185 of 1041 Old 04-19-2013, 12:07 PM

ELS would be nice... but if not ML floor... what brand would you reccomend? I may need to go back to some stores and listen more to some different models.

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60
Marantz SR7007
Oppo BDP-103
LG BD550 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
post #186 of 1041 Old 04-19-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm afraid I can't help there. The last time I bought three-way speakers was a pair of JBL L112s in 1981.

David
post #187 of 1041 Old 04-20-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The motion line is pretty amazing. I have. A 7.3 setup. 2 Ml motion 12s with 4 motion 10s. A motion c for center channel. And 2 dynamo. 500s for subs.

The sound is amazing in my theater. But unfortunately I have to get rid of some of it. So before you go spending more on some bookshelf take a look in the classifieds. I would let go at a amazing price n then all you would have to get is your left center right.
post #188 of 1041 Old 04-20-2013, 01:48 PM

Liked: 12
I'm going to have to concur. I think that the Motion 20 speaker is terrible value. The Motion 40 does sound amazing, and I think I'd only cringe a little at paying the price for a Motion 40 but I don't think I could justify the Motion 20- I'd go buy Motion 15s instead.

As far as subwoofers go, I auditioned a couple of the ML dynamo models, and I wasn't all that impressed. The grotto is a hell of a sub, but that's nearly 2k. In the $500-$1k range, I'd be buying one of the internet direct subs. I think PSA XS-15 is the current top of the heap in terms of how much sub you get for money spent, and I'll say having heard both the PSA XS-15 and the Dynamo subs- the PSA is a FAR better sub for money spent. It's what I've currently got mated up with my ML Motion speakers.

post #189 of 1041 Old 04-20-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

In my 7.3 setup the main things are the left right center. So make sure you out you most into that.
post #190 of 1041 Old 04-21-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikarius View Post

I'm going to have to concur. I think that the Motion 20 speaker is terrible value. The Motion 40 does sound amazing, and I think I'd only cringe a little at paying the price for a Motion 40 but I don't think I could justify the Motion 20- I'd go buy Motion 15s instead.

As far as subwoofers go, I auditioned a couple of the ML dynamo models, and I wasn't all that impressed. The grotto is a hell of a sub, but that's nearly 2k. In the $500-$1k range, I'd be buying one of the internet direct subs. I think PSA XS-15 is the current top of the heap in terms of how much sub you get for money spent, and I'll say having heard both the PSA XS-15 and the Dynamo subs- the PSA is a FAR better sub for money spent. It's what I've currently got mated up with my ML Motion speakers.

I have a PSA XS15 on order and it'll be paired with my ML 12s and C. Can't wait!
post #191 of 1041 Old 04-22-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussader View Post

Really. I would want something with a driver for the low end. With this being the ML owners thread, I am sure my opinion will be in the minority. Even though I love my MartinLogans, I gotta call them like I see them.

Now on the other hand, if electrostats were in the budget.....

Glad to see some posts here. I don't care of there is an official MLOwners site... I can't see anyone posting anything there. It's DEAD.

Anyhow, I've tried a few different speakers before landing on the EM-ESLs that I currently have setup in my living space. I've tried the Motion 40s and I agree with some here who've mentioned that for that much money, you can get better speakers, IMO. I do own a pair of ML's but I am no fanboy. You should always call it as is, not just recommend products blind without any experience. With that said, I'd try looking at the Kef Q700 and up. If you do some searching they can be had for much less than the MSRP. I thought they were great sounding speakers but, the cosmetics forced me to return them. The cabinet finish wasn't to my liking and they're fairly big so, it stuck out in my space.

Just my thoughts.
post #192 of 1041 Old 04-29-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Give us a ring ( or an email ) at AV Science if you are looking for MartinLogan Motion series speakers. smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #193 of 1041 Old 05-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 66
thought I'd pop into this thread since I've recently become a MartinLogan owner.

My pup helping me set-up my speakers/getting freaked out by giant boxes

my very temporary set-up. I don't have the furniture ready for everything yet, but I just couldn't wait biggrin.gif

My speakers are a pair of Montis in dark cherry and motif x in dark cherry. I'm thinking I'll pick up some of the motion 15's for the rears. I also have a Depth i on order but received an e-mail from MartinLogan a few weeks ago saying that I might get it in August.... but probably not until September................ mad.gif
post #194 of 1041 Old 05-08-2013, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Awesome speakers! I think for the amount of money your spending on your sub,you should go with something like an svs pb or sb 13 ultra. Looks great and will spank that Logan sub.
post #195 of 1041 Old 05-08-2013, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Nice Montis! New Martin Logan subwoofer models are supposed to come out in November. So you may as well wait to see what they're like or at least get the current models discounted. I myself have Theos but will probably get either a Seaton Submersive F2 or Rythmik sub if I decide to go cheaper.

Samsung 85" 4K, Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 with MartinLogan Theos, Stage, Motion 15, EM-R, Seaton Submersive F2, 5Denon AVR-X5200W, PS4 = SubSolar, Xbox1 = SubSolar0
post #196 of 1041 Old 05-08-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
I think for the amount of money your spending on your sub,you should go with something like an svs pb or sb 13 ultra. Looks great and will spank that Logan sub.

Pretty hard to beat an SVS sub. I think a cylinder sub would look nice with those ML electrostatics !!! smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
post #197 of 1041 Old 05-08-2013, 04:03 PM

Liked: 14
Nice Montis speakers Simp1yamazn. Is that a Weimaraner pup?

Due to the speed of the electrostats, I would stick with a sealed sub with preference to the Rythmik subs - servo technology or the Power Sound Audio sealed subs (all great reviews across the board). Take that with a grain of salt since I own a SVS cylinder sub and have not heard either the Rythmik or PS subs.
post #198 of 1041 Old 05-09-2013, 08:36 AM

I have the xv15 and have zero issues with speed issues with my electrostats.
post #199 of 1041 Old 05-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd drop by and say Hello.

I'm a very pleased Martin Logan owner. Have a 7.3 HT setup. ML Prefaces for LR,and an ML Vignette for center duty.

I am running 3 sealed subs, 1 CHT 18.1 , and 2 DIY 12 sealed subs.

Anyway,just thought I'd post a pick of the front three and again say Hello.

Alan

Cruzin

Martin Logan Speakers

Marantz Prepro

Aragon 4004, and Outlaw 7100 amps

Chase 18.1 Sub,and Velodyne DD15

LittleBear tube preamp

Pro-Ject debutte 3 turntable

post #200 of 1041 Old 05-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post

Awesome speakers! I think for the amount of money your spending on your sub,you should go with something like an svs pb or sb 13 ultra. Looks great and will spank that Logan sub.

Thanks!

As for the sub, couldn't agree more. However, as a very recent former Magnolia Design Center employee nothing will be able to come anywhere close to the price/performance I'll be getting wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSolar View Post

Nice Montis! New Martin Logan subwoofer models are supposed to come out in November. So you may as well wait to see what they're like or at least get the current models discounted. I myself have Theos but will probably get either a Seaton Submersive F2 or Rythmik sub if I decide to go cheaper.

I definitely wanted wait for the new subs, but a great new job offer dictated that I move more quickly on the speakers that I had originally planned. Put in my order the day i gave two weeks notice biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob from NJ View Post

Nice Montis speakers Simp1yamazn. Is that a Weimaraner pup?

Due to the speed of the electrostats, I would stick with a sealed sub with preference to the Rythmik subs - servo technology or the Power Sound Audio sealed subs (all great reviews across the board). Take that with a grain of salt since I own a SVS cylinder sub and have not heard either the Rythmik or PS subs.

Yes, she's my 3.5 (i think) year old weim smile.gif found her as a stray so we're not exactly sure how old.

The ML's are sealed and from what I understand (which admittedly isn't much) the ML subs use servo control, though not the same quality that the Rythmik. I would have liked to get the triple 10's in the Descent i but just couldn't swing it since my timetable was suddenly moved forward.

So how did I decide on these guys? Well, as I said I used to work for MDC so all in the same room were ML summit x's, ML ethos, B&W 802/803/805D, and sonus faber Cremoa and Luito. When I first started listening to all of these speakers, they all sounded great but slowly the differences became apparent and I formed my opinions. The 802D's immediately had my attention but the more I listened to them, the more it sounded anemic and unnatural to me. They have a harsh 6db bump in the treble that becomes very fatiguing. The Sonus Fabers were actually a HUGE disappointment to me. They are beautiful, well made, and I've never heard a bad word spoken about them. But when I listened to them in person they just left me feeling bored. Objectively they are very good, but somehow just seem to fade into the background and I almost forget they are there. I get the same feeling when listening to the CM series from B&W. Good, but boring. I have loved the ML sound for a long time but couldn't get past the directionality of planar speakers. But after listening to the Summit X's for a few months, I realized I don't care what anyone else hears because I'm the one sitting in the sweet spot biggrin.gif I also then had to figure out how to get the wife to let them into the living room. She hates all speakers. They are all ugly according to her. However, I showed her some pictures of the ML's and, unprovoked, she said that she liked the way they look. Too bad she didn't realize that they are about 5 ft tall. Ha!

So why the Montis and not the Summit X? Simple, money. timetable for speakers was moved up very quickly but I couldn't let my one good employee benefit go to waste. So there's my store of how I came to own my beautiful new Montis.
post #201 of 1041 Old 05-09-2013, 12:18 PM

Maybe if the room you were listening to those speakers in was treated.. :P The sweet spot knock on the Logan's is stupid. How many of us have family or friends that listen to the speakers like we do? NONE! I am the only one listening usually and lets be honest,how many of our women even know there is a sweet spot? Its irrelevant. And for movies,its a non issue.. Listening to music with the Logan's is just nothing less than sick! smile.gif
post #202 of 1041 Old 05-09-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post

I have the xv15 and have zero issues with speed issues with my electrostats.

Of course, ported subs are good too. Nothing but great write-ups for Power Sound. Some of us prefer sealed. smile.gif
post #203 of 1041 Old 05-09-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post

So why the Montis and not the Summit X? Simple, money. timetable for speakers was moved up very quickly but I couldn't let my one good employee benefit go to waste. So there's my store of how I came to own my beautiful new Montis.

What AVR or amp are you using to drive the Montis, or planning on an amp?
post #204 of 1041 Old 05-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

right now just running them off of a pioneer vsx-1022. blasphemy! i know. another casualty of the pushed forward timetable. I'd like to go with a audyssey equipped avr for a pre, like the marantz sr6007, and a separate amp. I don't use too much volume on a regular basis, the joys of living in a DC row home, so for now the pioneer is doing admirably.
post #205 of 1041 Old 05-12-2013, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am also a new ML owner and could not be more satisfied. I had actually started with 2 motion 20's, a motion 8, and 2 motion 4's in the rear and upgraded all of them to the motion 40s's, motion 30 and motion 15's and it is totally worth it. The dynamo sub was not very impressive to me and I started with the REL T9 and upgraded to the REL r528 SE. LOVE this system!

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Marantz AV8801 pre-pro / MM8077 amp
Martin Logan Motion 50XT Center
Martin Logan Motion 60XT Fronts/40 Rears
REL R-528 SE (2)
Oppo BDP-103D/Playstation 4/Furman ELITE-20 PF i
post #206 of 1041 Old 05-13-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Ya, I just set up a pair of Motion 40's in our home theater. I also needed a new center channel that could hang above my screen, and the Motion 8 so far fits the bill. Going to take awhile to get these broken in / dailed in, but so far I love them. Going to watch Argo tonite with some friends, and break them in a little more!! smile.gif

post #207 of 1041 Old 05-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Ya, I just set up a pair of Motion 40's in our home theater. I also needed a new center channel that could hang above my screen, and the Motion 8 so far fits the bill. Going to take awhile to get these broken in / dailed in, but so far I love them. Going to watch Argo tonite with some friends, and break them in a little more!! smile.gif

Sweet. I really like the motion 40s. What sub are you using in your system?
post #208 of 1041 Old 05-18-2013, 11:31 AM

I also have a Jamo Sub7 THX sealed sub. Its decent,but the XV15 does sound better. I also had a ML Dynamo 700 I got free with my ESL purchase,it was ok. I can tell you this.. If you did a blind test with a ported sub against a sealed sub,I doubt you would know the difference..In fact I know you wouldn't.
post #209 of 1041 Old 05-19-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade my motion c. I think my center chanel is lacking or my onkyo 818 isn't doing the job
post #210 of 1041 Old 05-21-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sweet. I really like the motion 40s. What sub are you using in your system?

I have an old SVS 20 - 39 PCI cylinder sub. It rocks the room during action / war movies. You can't beat an SVS cylinder sub. BTW, we sell them here at AV Science. It works so well, I can't justify buying a new one.

Just ordered a new Denon 4520, and a pair of Motion 15's to use for wide speakers ( going to try out 9.1 first, then perhaps get a pair of Motion 4's for height speakers later ) ! smile.gif

I'm usually more into upgrading the video side, but it's time to upgrade the audio side!

Watched the last Star Trek movie the other night, and all one of my friends could say was " awesome sound in here " ! The Motion 40's are sweet speakers !!

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio Monitor 50 2 Way Floorstanding Speaker Single Cherry

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page