SURROUND SPEAKERS - Bipole, Dipole, Quadpole, Omnipole... WHICH ONE? - Page 14 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: There are many surround speakers out there now, but the ones below would have to get my highest reco
Mirage OMD5 (or any other Mirage Omnipole) 26 20.97%
JBL P520WS / Infinity ES-250 / Infinity Classia C255ES (Dual-monopole for 4 channels from 2 speakers, but also Bipole & Dipole switchable) 8 6.45%
Axiom QS8 or QS4 (Unique Quadpole design) 35 28.23%
Paradigm ADP (Many models available with this design, where the tweeters run Dipole, but the woofers are Bipole) 20 16.13%
Monitor Audio BXFX or RXFX (Single woofer, but the tweeters can switch to either Dipole or Bipole) 14 11.29%
Monitor Audio GXFX (6 drivers, including a ribbon. (Monopole / Dipole switchable) 15 12.10%
KEF 26/2DS (Dipole only, alas... but with two 6.5 inch side woofers and a front-firing 8 inch!!! ) 7 5.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #391 of 794 Old 02-03-2012, 01:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_Haggis View Post

Toole has a point. They're certainly rarely needed... yet are still often desired, as bipoles can often be too direct at the sides with 5.1.

Good point about not wanting surrounds bouncing off your front wall and hurting the soundstage.
Although I guess it really comes down to the room and how it reacts.

Always a good idea to test your surrounds as fronts to see how they measure up, as you've done.
Too many folks never do this.

Those ADP-170's are a seriously old-school dipole design, with next to no angling, and everything you hear is way off-axis.
I used to have surrounds like that and they were horrible.

A design like the Monitor Audio BXFX or RXFX can be worthwhile, as the woofer faces forward (and is in phase), the angling of the tweeters isn't too severe, and they're dipole/bipole switchable.
Having a larger 6-inch woofer is also nice....

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/bronze-bx/bxfx/
http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/silver-rx/rxfx/

Have you considered Axiom quadpoles or Mirage omnipoles?

I noticed I didn't mention which model MA's I had, but you posted the link to them.

I have four Monitor Audio RXFX's in di-pole mode, and when I am watching something that is 7.1 surround heavy, such as TRON or Transformers, I am equally just as highly proud of those RXFX's as I am in the rest of my Monitor Audio system and even my (2) SVS PB12 plus subwoofers.

The RXFX's are extremely amazing audio wise, They bring you into the movie by being totally encompassed with great audio without being distracting from what's in front of you on the screen.

I do not them as being an alternative to other company di/bi-pole speakers, because of the price, but they are a perfect timbre match to the front stage Sliver series RX line from Monitor Audio.

I was wowed by the BRFX's, they are some fantastic surrounds, and they could be alternative speaker to have a different mixture of speakers in a system. They were tempting to buy for me to save some money at the time, and I love to save money, I just didn't want that 'What if' on the back of my mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 794 Old 02-06-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm currently running 3 matched ACI Protege speakers, driven by an Outlaw 750 200w amp, as my fronts. I'm now searching for the best possible match for surrounds for a 5.1 or 7.1 system. My room is a carpeted rectangle measuring 25x14. The sub is a REL. For those of you who don't remember the Proteges, the specs are here.

I'm thinking of wall-mounting the side surrounds and possibly using in-ceiling speakers for the rear surrounds. I'm also wondering whether I should run bipole or dipole for the side surrounds -- is this recommended in a 7.1 system?

One speaker that looks intriguing is the Mirage OMD-R, perhaps mounted on the side walls directly in line with my seating position. Behind the seats is another 10' to 12', so there's is an opportunity for rear surrounds. The rear surrounds likely would have to be in the ceiling, though, because the back wall is occupied with a window and door.

I realize the ACI's are old news and that ACI is no longer in the business, but hopefully someone on here remembers them and can make a recommendation for surrounds.

Thanks!
post #393 of 794 Old 02-08-2012, 12:25 AM

was hoping this would help me understand this situation but lol guess ill have to desipher it myself
post #394 of 794 Old 02-08-2012, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Wood View Post

I'm currently running 3 matched ACI Protege speakers, driven by an Outlaw 750 200w amp, as my fronts. I'm now searching for the best possible match for surrounds for a 5.1 or 7.1 system. My room is a carpeted rectangle measuring 25x14. The sub is a REL. For those of you who don't remember the Proteges, the specs are here.

I'm thinking of wall-mounting the side surrounds and possibly using in-ceiling speakers for the rear surrounds. I'm also wondering whether I should run bipole or dipole for the side surrounds -- is this recommended in a 7.1 system?

One speaker that looks intriguing is the Mirage OMD-R, perhaps mounted on the side walls directly in line with my seating position. Behind the seats is another 10' to 12', so there's is an opportunity for rear surrounds. The rear surrounds likely would have to be in the ceiling, though, because the back wall is occupied with a window and door.

I realize the ACI's are old news and that ACI is no longer in the business, but hopefully someone on here remembers them and can make a recommendation for surrounds.

Thanks!

I'd suggest having a good read through the thread, but for starters...

* In ceilings will be OK for rears if that's all you can manage.

* Dipoles are OK for the sides, but are not to everyone's taste (as you'll find throughout this thread.) For that reason, dipole/bipole switchables are preferred.

* My preferences in order would probably be...

1. 4 x Mirage OMD-5

2. 4 x Axiom QS8 quadpoles

3. 4 x Monitor Audio bipole/dipole switchables

... or 2 of the above, with in-ceilings at the rear.
Any of these should work fine with the Proteges, especially after EQ correction with Audyssey or similar.
post #395 of 794 Old 02-08-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_Haggis View Post

I'd suggest having a good read through the thread, but for starters...

* In ceilings will be OK for rears if that's all you can manage.

* Dipoles are OK for the sides, but are not to everyone's taste (as you'll find throughout this thread.) For that reason, dipole/bipole switchables are preferred.

* My preferences in order would probably be...

1. 4 x Mirage OMD-5

2. 4 x Axiom QS8 quadpoles

3. 4 x Monitor Audio bipole/dipole switchables

... or 2 of the above, with in-ceilings at the rear.
Any of these should work fine with the Proteges, especially after EQ correction with Audyssey or similar.

I agree. Although I advocate dipole dispersion to simulate the 'movie theater effect' as Lucasfilm recommends. I happen to think that the Mirage Omni-polar speakers achieve the effect PLUS giving you some 'direct' sound which gives off a more satisfying/solid 'imaging' that many like from monopole/bipole speakers while also imparting the ambiance and 'surround' effect desired by Lucasfilm. If you have the choice between bipole/dipole, try dipole first and only use bipole if you really absolutely have a strong preference for it.

That's my opinion based on years of casual interest followed by months and months of intense research and personal testing to come up with the perfect speaker selections based on room size and figuring in different listening preferences from different people, while still adhering to the scientific principles laid down for home theater reproduction by Lucasfilm.
post #396 of 794 Old 02-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post

I agree. Although I advocate dipole dispersion to simulate the 'movie theater effect' as Lucasfilm recommends. I happen to think that the Mirage Omni-polar speakers achieve the effect PLUS giving you some 'direct' sound which gives off a more satisfying/solid 'imaging' that many like from monopole/bipole speakers while also imparting the ambiance and 'surround' effect desired by Lucasfilm. If you have the choice between bipole/dipole, try dipole first and only use bipole if you really absolutely have a strong preference for it.

That's my opinion based on years of casual interest followed by months and months of intense research and personal testing to come up with the perfect speaker selections based on room size and figuring in different listening preferences from different people, while still adhering to the scientific principles laid down for home theater reproduction by Lucasfilm.

Everything I have read about using bi/di-pole have lead me to using di-pole. The advantages and dis-advantages of using monopole, bi-pole or di-pole put me under di-pole.

I had full intension of using di-pole when I was searching for speakers. It just happen to be, that I choose Monitor Audio and they suggested, if you are going to use all four from them, that you select di-pole.

I haven't even given bi-pole a chance to hear the difference, It just seems di-pole sound perfect to me now.
post #397 of 794 Old 02-08-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I agree. Although I advocate dipole dispersion to simulate the 'movie theater effect' as Lucasfilm recommends. I happen to think that the Mirage Omni-polar speakers achieve the effect PLUS giving you some 'direct' sound which gives off a more satisfying/solid 'imaging' that many like from monopole/bipole speakers while also imparting the ambiance and 'surround' effect desired by Lucasfilm.

Yet another thumbs up for the Omnipoles.
They do seem like a perfect solution for most people.
Another edge they'd have over dipoles is the lack of phase cancellation, bass and off-axis drop-off and general lack of "phasey" sound in the treble which I've been a bit bothered by with most dipoles.
Also less critical where you sit (you don't need to be in the null).

Quote:

If you have the choice between bipole/dipole, try dipole first and only use bipole if you really absolutely have a strong preference for it.

Or better still - get bipole/dipole switchables ... or omnipoles!
post #398 of 794 Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I too have had many years of experience with multi-directional surrounds in different rooms and layouts. Now, I've settled into a dedicated HT with pretty close to ideal surround placements. Each of the 4 rear speakers are equi-distant from the prime seat, at 8 ft away, with proper rear walls to bounce sound off of.

In my time, I have found that bipole dispersion mimics a large auditorium better than dipoles do. It has all the immersion without the phasey, hollow sound that dipoles are known for. Therefore, I would advocate bipole in most cases. The exception being the absolute purist who values multi-ch music and has room for rear floor standers, if the fronts are full range as well. I am able to switch modes easily without having to take the speakers off the wall so I can do a bi vs di experiment quite quickly.

I like the idea of Haggis's to get switchables. But inevitably, the only use dipole mode has is to show you how much better bipoles are (but that alone might be worth it).
post #399 of 794 Old 02-12-2012, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Had been contemplating the Mirage OMD5 for my rear surrounds. Well it just so happened that Vanns was out of stock at $169.99, so I didn't spend the $340.00 for the pair. I began looking at the Mirage OmniSat 5.1 that is on sale at World Wide Stereo for $327. I just wasn't excited about it, so I kept searching. I thought about the Mirage Prestige Nano's but didn't want to pay $399 for a pair since the OMD5 were less. I stayed online and kept searching and ran across the Mirage Prestige 5 speaker package. The MSRP on Mirage site is $949 which seems inflated, but Vanns has it listed for $499 on their site. When I searched Google Shopping I found Vanns selling it for $399 on ebay with free shipping and no tax, so I jumped on it. I can use the center in place of my Polk CS2 since it blocks my remote infared on my tv and I can use all 4 satelites as my rear and side surrounds for the price of just 2 speakers. I am now a very happy camper and now just have to wait for the package to arrive, hopefully by Friday.
post #400 of 794 Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 AM

I want to plug in my Boise headset into my new car. No such headphone jack. (It has several input connections for the latest technology, but no output jack.) My wife does most of the driving and I have a hearing impairment that reduces all sounds but road noise. The noise-reduction Boise headset works great in our old 99 Winstar van (it has a jack for the rear entertainment system) and lets me tune to radio while she listens to CD or some other radio station, or vice-verse. Could I simply move my old radio into my new van and use its jack? Assuming proper connections and wiring. The effect would be like having two car radios in the same vehicle? However, the add-on radio would have simply a connection for headphone and would not be connected to the car speakers. Any ideas?
post #401 of 794 Old 02-13-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 37
In my old theater, I had DefTech's all around. I've moved recently and will be building a new theater and was wondering if there a recommendation to have matching speakers all around? I was leaning toward PSB Image T6 and C5 for fronts and center, but didn't know if their S5 bipole would be good for side and rears and if they would cancel each other out depending on their spacing?

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #402 of 794 Old 02-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

In my old theater, I had DefTech's all around. I've moved recently and will be building a new theater and was wondering if there a recommendation to have matching speakers all around? I was leaning toward PSB Image T6 and C5 for fronts and center, but didn't know if their S5 bipole would be good for side and rears and if they would cancel each other out depending on their spacing?

I would recommend Monitor Audio RX series for all around timbre matching. The RXFX are bi/di-pole switchable
post #403 of 794 Old 02-15-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Hey guys, i have been reading the thread and have a couple of questions. here is some additional info before i ask my questions. I have the paradigm signature s4 and c3 as LCR and no speakers at the moment for surround duty. I am debating between adding 2 or 4 surrounds. As most of the movies i own and most of the movies i watch are in 5.1 i am thinking 2 is enough. My placement is a bit "weird" to say the least though. my room is about 21' long and 16' wide but one wall of the two 21' walls stop at about 10 ft and opens to a kitchen. I sit about 11' away from the front.

Question 1: If i set up a 5.1 system, where should i put the surrounds, at the side or at the back?

Question 2: If i do decide to put them on the side, is it ok to have 1 side surround 1ft behind my listening position and the other 1ft in front of my listening position due to the wall not extending all the way back?

Question 3: Should i just go 7.1 and have the 2 side surrounds 1 ft in front of my listening position and rears on the back wall?

Question 4: If i go 5.1, what are the best side surround options, bipole or dipole?

Question 5: If i go 7.1, what are the best surround options altogether, bipole, dipole or omnipole?

Question 6: What are the best surround speakers for 200-400 per pair at the moment?

Question 7: What processor option can i use to up mix 5.1 movies to 7.1 if i decide to go 7.1?
post #404 of 794 Old 02-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

Hey guys, i have been reading the thread and have a couple of questions. here is some additional info before i ask my questions. I have the paradigm signature s4 and c3 as LCR and no speakers at the moment for surround duty. I am debating between adding 2 or 4 surrounds. As most of the movies i own and most of the movies i watch are in 5.1 i am thinking 2 is enough. My placement is a bit "weird" to say the least though. my room is about 21' long and 16' wide but one wall of the two 21' walls stop at about 10 ft and opens to a kitchen. I sit about 11' away from the front.

Question 1: If i set up a 5.1 system, where should i put the surrounds, at the side or at the back?

Question 2: If i do decide to put them on the side, is it ok to have 1 side surround 1ft behind my listening position and the other 1ft in front of my listening position due to the wall not extending all the way back?

Question 3: Should i just go 7.1 and have the 2 side surrounds 1 ft in front of my listening position and rears on the back wall?

Question 4: If i go 5.1, what are the best side surround options, bipole or dipole?

Question 5: If i go 7.1, what are the best surround options altogether, bipole, dipole or omnipole?

Question 6: What are the best surround speakers for 200-400 per pair at the moment?

Question 7: What processor option can i use to up mix 5.1 movies to 7.1 if i decide to go 7.1?

I select #3, and use them in bi-pole mode. Just about any entry level and mid level AVR will process audio from a 5.1 to 7.1
post #405 of 794 Old 02-15-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP568 View Post

I select #3, and use them in bi-pole mode. Just about any entry level and mid level AVR will process audio from a 5.1 to 7.1

Would you suggest all 4 in bipole mode, or just the sides? Or another way to put it - which would you recommend out of the following:

1 - Side and rear bipoles?
2 - Side bipoles and rear directs (are these the same as monopoles?)?
3 - Side monopoles, rear bipoles?
4 - Other?

post #406 of 794 Old 02-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Would you suggest all 4 in bipole mode, or just the sides? Or another way to put it - which would you recommend out of the following:

4 - Other?

I would say all four the same or bi/di-pole as sides.
post #407 of 794 Old 02-16-2012, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would say all four the same or bi/di-pole as sides.

Yep. Try and get the same all around.

Either dipole/bipole switchables like the Monitor Audio mentioned earlier, or seriously consider Axiom quadpoles or Mirage omnipoles.

Let us know how you go!
post #408 of 794 Old 02-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

4 - Other?

I just seen the pics of your theater, and if that was mine, I would go di-pole all around.
post #409 of 794 Old 02-20-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone had any experiences with the Energy CR-10s as side or rear surrounds?
post #410 of 794 Old 02-23-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I was at a local high end store yesterday, and asked the Paradigm rep why they went from di-pole to bi-pole for their Monitor series, his answer below:
(posted in the Paradigm thread here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

I want to thank Paulsons for hosting Paradigm/Integra yesterday (Wed 2/22).
I was there early 4:25-4:45pm (6pm formal start time), and had chance to speak with the Paradigm rep's (Keith D, forgot the other name).
Nice to see the Signature S8, being early they were just finishing set-up to the mono amps, so could not listen.
I'll stop by later tomorrow to listen, hopefully they are still there.

They are V3, here are the 2 Paradigm regional reps in the dedicated 2-channel listening room.
(sorry for crappy picts, iPhone4)

Also had Monitor 9's in a 5.1 set-up in another room:

I further asked Keith why the Monitor line dropped the ADP surrounds and went to Bi-poles.
His reply: "we found the majority of Monitor customers used the set-up NOT in a dedicated HT situation, rather in a family/living room environment.
In that case, lots of the surrounds location were not symmetrical or in the best placement relative to the MLP.
Hence, bi-directional is the better choice for them.
In a dedicated HT room, where placement can be correctly done, then the ADP's (Adaptive di-pole) is the better solution"

post #411 of 794 Old 02-23-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, i find that quite interesting now because everyone was saying dipoles are best....regardless...... wonder where this leaves me?????
post #412 of 794 Old 02-23-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

Wow, i find that quite interesting now because everyone was saying dipoles are best....regardless...... wonder where this leaves me?????

Mirage Omnipole speakers. (Assuming your room isn't too big). These give a combination of direct and reflecting sound. It's very likely the best compromise in a home theater environment. Right now it's my top recommendation for versatility in delivering a very "pro theater like" sound in most user situations.
post #413 of 794 Old 02-23-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mirage Omnipole speakers. (Assuming your room isn't too big). These give a combination of direct and reflecting sound. It's very likely the best compromise in a home theater environment. Right now it's my top recommendation for versatility in delivering a very "pro theater like" sound in most user situations.

Agreed.

There more you look into it, the more you realise that "everyone" isn't really recommending dipoles at all!
post #414 of 794 Old 02-23-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
People shouldn't confuse reflected sound as this out-of-phase hollow sound. For those who don't know what dipole sounds like, just experiment with your fronts. Wire one speaker with + to - and see what that sounds like. It's annoying.

Bi/Tri/Quad or Omni can give you a big sound without resorting to dipole.

Comment to that Paradigm rep:

He said what the company wanted him to say. Here's me reading between the lines.

"We (Paradigm) have long invested in the ADP design. It made sense back in the day of Pro-Logic. However, we can't simply admit that we're outdated but we do recognize that other forms of multi directional speakers are better for discrete channels. Tell you what we'll do. We'll take our best selling line (I'm guessing) and convert them to bipoles. Give the customers some market-speak about how bipoles work for non-ideal layouts but still say ADP is best. But! If the bipoles sell like hotcakes, then we'll revamp the Reference line and says it's customer demand. That way, we'll never have to admit we were wrong not to switch years ago.
post #415 of 794 Old 02-24-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing View Post

People shouldn't confuse reflected sound as this out-of-phase hollow sound. For those who don't know what dipole sounds like, just experiment with your fronts. Wire one speaker with + to - and see what that sounds like. It's annoying.

Bi/Tri/Quad or Omni can give you a big sound without resorting to dipole.

Comment to that Paradigm rep:

He said what the company wanted him to say. Here's me reading between the lines.

"We (Paradigm) have long invested in the ADP design. It made sense back in the day of Pro-Logic. However, we can't simply admit that we're outdated but we do recognize that other forms of multi directional speakers are better for discrete channels. Tell you what we'll do. We'll take our best selling line (I'm guessing) and convert them to bipoles. Give the customers some market-speak about how bipoles work for non-ideal layouts but still say ADP is best. But! If the bipoles sell like hotcakes, then we'll revamp the Reference line and says it's customer demand. That way, we'll never have to admit we were wrong not to switch years ago.

You are probably not far off from the truth.

I actually started to engage him into the whole history of surrounds, from the initial THX recommendation of di-pole and how/why that was "good" back then.....and what is "best" for dedicated home theatres now that we have true discrete surround channels mixed that way.....
Started to discuss "what speakers are used in todays mixing" viewpoint and how that carries over into HT design and usage, but did not take it too far.

Problem was, he was trying to get his Signature S8's up and running, and I was heading off to Ash Wed 5pm family service, so did not get into the discussion so much.

So - which one?
For me, the ADP-390's I have "seem" to work fine in my dedicated HT.
The monopole front firing bass with the side di-pole does give ambience soundfield. Yet, on discrete sounds I can also localize them...bullets, etc.
Could I "get better"? Well, these are paid for....

Now, if I knew in 2008 what I've learned thru 2012, I'd seriously look at other options. I like the switchable ones, like the ones my brother in law bought last year.
Gives flexibility. Monitor Audio Gold GX-FX Di-pole, mono-pole.
http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/gold-gx/gxfx/
post #416 of 794 Old 02-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

You are probably not far off from the truth.

I actually started to engage him into the whole history of surrounds, from the initial THX recommendation of di-pole and how/why that was "good" back then.....and what is "best" for dedicated home theatres now that we have true discrete surround channels mixed that way.....
Started to discuss "what speakers are used in todays mixing" viewpoint and how that carries over into HT design and usage, but did not take it too far.

Problem was, he was trying to get his Signature S8's up and running, and I was heading off to Ash Wed 5pm family service, so did not get into the discussion so much.

So - which one?
For me, the ADP-390's I have "seem" to work fine in my dedicated HT.
The monopole front firing bass with the side di-pole does give ambience soundfield. Yet, on discrete sounds I can also localize them...bullets, etc.
Could I "get better"? Well, these are paid for....

Now, if I knew in 2008 what I've learned thru 2012, I'd seriously look at other options. I like the switchable ones, like the ones my brother in law bought last year.
Gives flexibility. Monitor Audio Gold GX-FX Di-pole, mono-pole.
http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/gold-gx/gxfx/

The picture your showing are of the GSFX, which is the previous model. The newer GXFX are also switchable, and both those options are really nice. When you switch to monopole your using the ribbon tweeter which matches the front stage. If you select the di-pole mode, you will be using the two tweeters on the side of them.

The GXFX's

I have the RXFX's, which are selectable also, but only between di & bi-pole.
post #417 of 794 Old 02-25-2012, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone have any direct comparisons to the M&K Professional MPS 2525P Tripole Surround speakers and dipole Seaton Sparks for surrounds? I used to own M&K dipole MPS 2510P's for the mains and 2525P's for the side and rear surrounds. I am now considering getting Seaton Catalysts for the mains, and Seaton Sparks for the sides and rears. I remember the M&K 2525P's being pretty darn excellent sounding, and would definitely love to hear from anyone who has direct experience with these 2 different brands.
post #418 of 794 Old 02-26-2012, 10:10 AM

Liked: 11
I'm looking to pick up a pair of bipolar speakers for surrounds around $300. I came across these, and I would be much obliged if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Right now I'm using Polk Monitors for fronts, but I plan on upgrading in the near future. I take it matching surrounds isn't terribly important, but do I at least want to match the same type of tweeter?

Polk FXi a4 (refurb) $270
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/r...ex.php?s=fxia4

DCM TP160BDP-B $280
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...P160BDP-B.html

Level TWO surrounds $260
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-tw...l-TWO-Surround

Def Tech SR-8080BP (refurb) $242
http://compare.ebay.com/like/1906354...Types&var=sbar

Premier Acoustic PA-6S $209
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...3/product.html

Premier Acoustic PA-8S $290
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...3/product.html
post #419 of 794 Old 02-26-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just seen the pics of your theater, and if that was mine, I would go di-pole all around.

If you clicked the link in my Sig - that was my old theater, and I had Def Tech Bi-poles all around and liked the immersive sound that those gave out.

I went and auditioned the RX6 and RX8 yesterday and was not impressed at all. I thought they sounded very flat. What I did like were the Paradigm Studio 60s. Looks like Paradigm makes a di-pole speaker as well, so perhaps I'll go with those.

post #420 of 794 Old 02-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you clicked the link in my Sig - that was my old theater, and I had Def Tech Bi-poles all around and liked the immersive sound that those gave out.

I went and auditioned the RX6 and RX8 yesterday and was not impressed at all. I thought they sounded very flat. What I did like were the Paradigm Studio 60s. Looks like Paradigm makes a di-pole speaker as well, so perhaps I'll go with those.

Wow!!! Really? Flat? That is the first I heard that about Monitor Audio RX series. I usually hear how well they sounded or some say they are bright(but only with the RS).

What were they using as a source?

I'm only using the RX2's with the combo of subs. I think I updated my link to show my theater room.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Infinity Es 250 Bipole Dipole Dual Monopole Surround Speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page