SURROUND SPEAKERS - Bipole, Dipole, Quadpole, Omnipole... WHICH ONE? - Page 26 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: There are many surround speakers out there now, but the ones below would have to get my highest reco
Mirage OMD5 (or any other Mirage Omnipole) 24 22.02%
JBL P520WS / Infinity ES-250 / Infinity Classia C255ES (Dual-monopole for 4 channels from 2 speakers, but also Bipole & Dipole switchable) 5 4.59%
Axiom QS8 or QS4 (Unique Quadpole design) 28 25.69%
Paradigm ADP (Many models available with this design, where the tweeters run Dipole, but the woofers are Bipole) 20 18.35%
Monitor Audio BXFX or RXFX (Single woofer, but the tweeters can switch to either Dipole or Bipole) 14 12.84%
Monitor Audio GXFX (6 drivers, including a ribbon. (Monopole / Dipole switchable) 12 11.01%
KEF 26/2DS (Dipole only, alas... but with two 6.5 inch side woofers and a front-firing 8 inch!!! ) 6 5.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #751 of 759 Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricator View Post

oh. what is ATMOS ?
It's a fad. Myself, I'm waiting for true 100.10 surround as none of this 7.1 - 11 channel stuff is realistic enough. Until then it's just plain 5.1 for me. Even though I completely feel surrounded by a 5 speaker setup I can't help but wonder if something is missing.

Sony 5700ES
PSB Image T5, PSB Image B5, PSB Image B4, PSB Image C4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 759 Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec88 View Post
It's a fad. Myself, I'm waiting for true 100.10 surround as none of this 7.1 - 11 channel stuff is realistic enough. Until then it's just plain 5.1 for me. Even though I completely feel surrounded by a 5 speaker setup I can't help but wonder if something is missing.
Did you watch/listen to the last podcast for CEDIA 2014? The opinion of atmos was largely: hearing is believing. Not trying to make an argument for or against but I'm interested to hear it before I write it off.

In either case I've decided to 'upgrade' my nearly $1500 original price Cambridge Soundworks system to the less than $500 Pioneer Andrew Jones set. I know to most of you this is probably what you spend on one speaker but I think it will work for me after spending some time auditioning them. I'm very curious about the rear speakers as this is the first time I'll ever be installing monopoles.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #753 of 759 Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
thanx.

you know, i had actually predicted this atmos thing YEARS ago, nearly 10 years ago. and here is another prediction. we are going to see speakers in/on the floor. and we are going to see at least 4 seperate channels of subs. in the future, it will be "SOP" to have 30+ channels of audio. 3 channel fronts ? lol. first it will go to 5 channels, and then up from there. for a decent setup, look for $20,000 in audio.

now, on to my question. i have tried lowering the sides to head level. didn't like it. and it actually causes problems.

and i am not concerned about the new 3D formats. as i am not going to upgrade any time soon. i just want some good and proper sides.
Actually, Dolby Atmos can do up to 34 discrete outputs, plus the LFE channel. You just need a more sophisticated, and pricier (of course), pre-amp.

At CEDIA they were talking about having the surrounds no more than one foot above the seated listener's head if you don't have super tall ceilings (you don't). You don't have to place the main level surrounds (sides, rears) right at ear level. In fact, that can block sounds from a row of people. On some processors, there is a separate front and separate surround/overhead sub output. The mono LFE channel is blended with both. It all has to do with the type of digital bass management included by a particular company.

A basic 5.1.4 system does not have to cost an arm and a leg and can be quite effective if planned out with a little thought.

What front speakers are you using right now?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; Yesterday at 10:32 AM.
post #754 of 759 Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 187
100.10 can be done

Just install 100 of these around your room

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1126-ND/412385

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #755 of 759 Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You obviously haven't heard Atmos.

post #756 of 759 Old Today, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
It's a fad. Myself, I'm waiting for true 100.10 surround as none of this 7.1 - 11 channel stuff is realistic enough.
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Actually, Dolby Atmos can do up to 34 discrete outputs, plus the LFE channel. You just need a more sophisticated, and pricier (of course), pre-amp.
well there ya go. see, i can see into the future. and it happened faster than expected .

Quote:
At CEDIA they were talking about having the surrounds no more than one foot above the seated listener's head if you don't have super tall ceilings (you don't). You don't have to place the main level surrounds (sides, rears) right at ear level. In fact, that can block sounds from a row of people.
there, you just said it that it is wrong. thats the problem with having them that low = heads and seats will negatively effect the sound. especially if you have high back seats. been there, done that. now, if your the only one in the room, and sitting on a bucket, yeah, that would work out awesome.

Quote:
A basic 5.1.4 system does not have to cost an arm and a leg and can be quite effective if planned out with a little thought.
yeah, i suppose not. but when they start going 12.1-2. 6-?. well things are going to start getting way up there. at least for the average guy.

Quote:
What front speakers are you using right now?
i have SWANS 6.1, C3 center, ENERGY RVSS sides(these ain't cutting it any more.), 2 DIY CSS SD12's in ported box's, 2 x ep2500(only using one right now. i want to do 2 18" subs and use both amps), dcx2496, pioneer elite, XPA-3, VIEWSONIC PRO8100, and a 119" dalite hp 2.8.

Quote:
You obviously haven't heard Atmos.
he is being sarcastic

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #757 of 759 Old Today, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i have SWANS 6.1, C3 center, ENERGY RVSS sides(these ain't cutting it any more.), 2 DIY CSS SD12's in ported box's, 2 x ep2500(only using one right now. i want to do 2 18" subs and use both amps), dcx2496, pioneer elite, XPA-3, VIEWSONIC PRO8100, and a 119" dalite hp 2.8.
Since the Swans seem to have, in effect, flown away, are you considering switching to a different brand, so your speakers more closely match together?

post #758 of 759 Old Today, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Since the Swans seem to have, in effect, flown away,

are you considering switching to a different brand, so your speakers more closely match together?
idk what you mean by that

no, not at all. these are pretty nice speakers. i'm just replacing the sides. SWANS sides are pretty expensive. i have been looking for a used set, but no luck. i will see if there is a set of mono bookshelfs i can get.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #759 of 759 Old Today, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
idk what you mean by that

no, not at all. these are pretty nice speakers. i'm just replacing the sides. SWANS sides are pretty expensive. i have been looking for a used set, but no luck. i will see if there is a set of mono bookshelfs i can get.
Swan was bought out by a Chinese company and now hard to come by.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Infinity Es 250 Bipole Dipole Dual Monopole Surround Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page