SURROUND SPEAKERS - Bipole, Dipole, Quadpole, Omnipole... WHICH ONE? - Page 27 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: There are many surround speakers out there now, but the ones below would have to get my highest reco
Mirage OMD5 (or any other Mirage Omnipole) 26 21.31%
JBL P520WS / Infinity ES-250 / Infinity Classia C255ES (Dual-monopole for 4 channels from 2 speakers, but also Bipole & Dipole switchable) 8 6.56%
Axiom QS8 or QS4 (Unique Quadpole design) 34 27.87%
Paradigm ADP (Many models available with this design, where the tweeters run Dipole, but the woofers are Bipole) 20 16.39%
Monitor Audio BXFX or RXFX (Single woofer, but the tweeters can switch to either Dipole or Bipole) 14 11.48%
Monitor Audio GXFX (6 drivers, including a ribbon. (Monopole / Dipole switchable) 14 11.48%
KEF 26/2DS (Dipole only, alas... but with two 6.5 inch side woofers and a front-firing 8 inch!!! ) 7 5.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
post #781 of 794 Old 10-12-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Trying to wrap my brain around Atmos. For a 7.1.4 setup (for instance) does it matter if the surround speakers in the 7 speaker configuration contain some bipole surrounds? Or should all surround speakers be monopole and match the additional 4 Atmos speakers? Can I keep my current setup and just add the additional Atmos surrounds (in my situation in-ceiling)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 794 Old 10-12-2014, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
Trying to wrap my brain around Atmos. For a 7.1.4 setup (for instance) does it matter if the surround speakers in the 7 speaker configuration contain some bipole surrounds? Or should all surround speakers be monopole and match the additional 4 Atmos speakers? Can I keep my current setup and just add the additional Atmos surrounds (in my situation in-ceiling)?
At the a Dolby training class at Cedia, they weren't saying NOT to use bipolar/dipolar speakers but the recommended spec is monopolar.
post #783 of 794 Old 10-12-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
At the a Dolby training class at Cedia, they weren't saying NOT to use bipolar/dipolar speakers but the recommended spec is monopolar.
Monopolar for just the Atmos overhead speakers or would I also have to replace the rear and side surround speakers in the original 7.1 setup with monopolar?
post #784 of 794 Old 10-12-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
Monopolar for just the Atmos overhead speakers or would I also have to replace the rear and side surround speakers in the original 7.1 setup with monopolar?
All of them. Wide dispersion monopoles work best.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #785 of 794 Old 10-12-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
All of them. Wide dispersion monopoles work best.
That's what I was afraid to hear.. Well I have a few years...
post #786 of 794 Old 10-12-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Had THX certification come out and endorse monopole over their prior Di-pole recommendation?
I've not seen anything on that.

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP
post #787 of 794 Old 10-12-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Had THX certification come out and endorse monopole over their prior Di-pole recommendation?
I've not seen anything on that.

THX is irrelevant to this discussion. They did not come up with these immersive sound formats. Dolby, Auro, and DTS do recommend switching to timbre matched monopole surrounds (wide dispersion characteristics are even better) for 3D audio since you can actually now have a surround array just like at the cinemas, especially with Dolby and DTS's object based formats. Dipoles, especially, smear the 3D effect the mixers are trying to create.

post #788 of 794 Old 10-12-2014, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Dolby state that if the speakers image well then they are fine to use. Tripole speakers work as well in n Atmos system as they do in present 5.1/7.1 systems.

This is also using tripoles for ceiling speakers. Do not dismiss it until you have heard it. This is from direct comparisons in non dedicated and dedicated cinema rooms running a full MK300 suite and and a full MK150 mk2 system in separate rooms.

Anthem MRX300, Anthem Statement A5, MK Sound MP150Mk2 LCR,MK Sound S150T's,Paradigm Signature Sub1,Pioneer BDP LX55,Isol8 Cleanline2 mains,Sonos ZP90,Qnap TS112 NAS,PanasonicTXP50GT60.
post #789 of 794 Old 10-13-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
THX is irrelevant to this discussion. They did not come up with these immersive sound formats. Dolby, Auro, and DTS do recommend switching to timbre matched monopole surrounds (wide dispersion characteristics are even better) for 3D audio since you can actually now have a surround array just like at the cinemas, especially with Dolby and DTS's object based formats. Dipoles, especially, smear the 3D effect the mixers are trying to create.
Dan,
You and I know that, I was asking has THX changed their stance, being a post-object sound world now they have to play in the same sandbox as others.

post #790 of 794 Old 10-13-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Dan,
You and I know that, I was asking has THX changed their stance, being a post-object sound world now they have to play in the same sandbox as others.
THX has pretty much dropped off the radar as far as the electronics companies are concerned. They don't want to pay for certification that amounts to (in this day and age in consumer land): THX... what the hell is that?

post #791 of 794 Old 11-07-2014, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 70
To those who have arrays of surround speakers (example 2x LeftSurround, 2x RightSurround) for multi-row seating, how do you time-align these surround speakers?
post #792 of 794 Unread Today, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is it possible to mix surround sound speakers and bookshelves? Considering a 7.1 Setup, something simple as i live in an apartment complex. Purchased a v577 yamaha receiver and klipsch 12hg sub on sale. Considering getting some Floorstanding for the front and am trying to decide whether to get four bookshelf speakers for the side and rear or a combination of two bookshelf for the back and two surround sound speakers for the side.

Should you combine the two or simple stick to the bookshelves?

Thanks!
post #793 of 794 Unread Today, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
15 x 18 Living Room By the way.
post #794 of 794 Unread Today, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techcafiend View Post
Is it possible to mix surround sound speakers and bookshelves? Considering a 7.1 Setup, something simple as i live in an apartment complex. Purchased a v577 yamaha receiver and klipsch 12hg sub on sale. Considering getting some Floorstanding for the front and am trying to decide whether to get four bookshelf speakers for the side and rear or a combination of two bookshelf for the back and two surround sound speakers for the side.

Should you combine the two or simple stick to the bookshelves?

Thanks!
If you're going to upgrade to Dolby Atmos in the future... four matching bookshelves (that are from the same "family" as your front three) would probably work better. At the very least scratch dipole surrounds off your list. They're fast becoming passe with these new 3D audio formats.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Infinity Es 250 Bipole Dipole Dual Monopole Surround Speaker