SURROUND SPEAKERS - Bipole, Dipole, Quadpole, Omnipole... WHICH ONE? - Page 30 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: There are many surround speakers out there now, but the ones below would have to get my highest reco
Mirage OMD5 (or any other Mirage Omnipole) 32 21.77%
JBL P520WS / Infinity ES-250 / Infinity Classia C255ES (Dual-monopole for 4 channels from 2 speakers, but also Bipole & Dipole switchable) 8 5.44%
Axiom QS8 or QS4 (Unique Quadpole design) 39 26.53%
Paradigm ADP (Many models available with this design, where the tweeters run Dipole, but the woofers are Bipole) 24 16.33%
Monitor Audio BXFX or RXFX (Single woofer, but the tweeters can switch to either Dipole or Bipole) 19 12.93%
Monitor Audio GXFX (6 drivers, including a ribbon. (Monopole / Dipole switchable) 17 11.56%
KEF 26/2DS (Dipole only, alas... but with two 6.5 inch side woofers and a front-firing 8 inch!!! ) 10 6.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #871 of 883 Old 01-29-2015, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
just a small question, im upgrading speakers to the psb imagine series. will have t2 in the front
I have a 7.1 setup and want to keep it that way, however, in the bundle that I will be buying, I have the option of also getting the imagine S surround.
then I will use one of my other speakers for the rest of the surround duty.

for the imagine S:
would it be better to use this as a surround back? or surrounds L-R?
and which mode?

for bipole it states to use the top 2 connectors.
If I place them in the back, I believe I connect the bottom connectors and the side surrounds, the top connectors.

this is the first time I will be using such a speaker, any feedback would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 883 Old 02-12-2015, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have considered getting some dipole Paradigms to cover my sides with. I have 4 in the back, 4 in the front + center and sub. The sides are barron. I listened to a demo at a local retailer and they sounded like they would make a great addition to the setup.
post #873 of 883 Old 02-13-2015, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 271
I think it's probably better to go bipole from now. I have owned dipole and bipoles.

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
post #874 of 883 Old 02-14-2015, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh20001 View Post
I have considered getting some dipole Paradigms to cover my sides with. I have 4 in the back, 4 in the front + center and sub. The sides are barron. I listened to a demo at a local retailer and they sounded like they would make a great addition to the setup.
I'm about to setup a new home theater; do you currently have the ADPs in your system?
post #875 of 883 Old 02-14-2015, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1406 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
If you upgrade to Dolby Atmos and the upcoming DTS:X object formats I would highly recommend NOT going with dipole surrounds. Monopoles or maybe bipoles instead.
jh20001 likes this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #876 of 883 Old 02-14-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
If you upgrade to Dolby Atmos and the upcoming DTS:X object formats I would highly recommend NOT going with dipole surrounds. Monopoles or maybe bipoles instead.
Hmmm, I have never thought of that :/
post #877 of 883 Old 02-14-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeary View Post
I'm about to setup a new home theater; do you currently have the ADPs in your system?
No. My setup is a mixture between Monitors and Titans which created a great balance. My sides have a noticeable gap though due to the size of the room. That was why I was considering them on my sides. However, he made a good point about DTS:X. I could care less about Atmos at this point, but eventually I'll probably put "something" in my ceiling since DTS:X will support those speakers as well.

Back to the drawing board in my head.
post #878 of 883 Old 02-14-2015, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No. My setup is a mixture between Monitors and Titans which created a great balance. My sides have a noticeable gap though due to the size of the room. That was why I was considering them on my sides. However, he made a good point about DTS:X. I could care less about Atmos at this point, but eventually I'll probably put "something" in my ceiling since DTS:X will support those speakers as well.

Back to the drawing board in my head.
You should care about Atmos because some studios may not support DTS:X, where they will Atmos... and vice versa. DTS:X has more flexibility than Atmos at the moment. So, it will render to Atmos speaker positions. Set up for Atmos and you're ready for DTS:X as well.
jh20001 likes this.

post #879 of 883 Old 02-19-2015, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 73
He should also wait to get a receiver til summer/fall,when the new receivers have DTS:X on them also. I have dipoles on the sides,the only problem is my side walls are pretty close,like 3 ft from the listening position on either side. Which makes monopole speakers a little close. The speakers switch from dipole to bipole,so if I do decide to go Atmos/DTS:X I'd probably switch it to bipole and put 2 speakers in the rear too for 7.1.4.
post #880 of 883 Old 02-24-2015, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #881 of 883 Old 02-24-2015, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I would highly suggest that you put your energy and money into first upgrading from the Bose speakers you have. There are a number of relatively reasonable speaker brands and models that would be of far greater sonic quality and give you a significantly bigger performance boost for the money.

post #882 of 883 Old Today, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
I would highly suggest that you put your energy and money into first upgrading from the Bose speakers you have. There are a number of relatively reasonable speaker brands and models that would be of far greater sonic quality and give you a significantly bigger performance boost for the money.
Well I am looking at speakers. I always look for a deal. Klipsch seems to be a speaker of many here at AVS. I am a service tech and travel a bit ran into a guy who won a 5.1 system. Yamaha AVR, subwoofer. center two front two rear speakers. Brand is Klipsch. He said how about 450.00. I asked him to take a few pics so I can check the model but after looking around seems like I should just take the deal. He told me everything is still in the box. I would think no matter what they are an upgrade from what I have now. Correct?
post #883 of 883 Old Today, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budda109 View Post
Well I am looking at speakers. I always look for a deal. Klipsch seems to be a speaker of many here at AVS. I am a service tech and travel a bit ran into a guy who won a 5.1 system. Yamaha AVR, subwoofer. center two front two rear speakers. Brand is Klipsch. He said how about 450.00. I asked him to take a few pics so I can check the model but after looking around seems like I should just take the deal. He told me everything is still in the box. I would think no matter what they are an upgrade from what I have now. Correct?
Klipsch horn speakers can be an acquired taste. Some, like me, would say that their high frequency response is a bit on the hot side, leading to a more fatiguing sound. Their cheaper stuff can sound less appealing IMHO.

Sometimes it is best to buy a little at a time and build up to a really great sound system.

For instance, these have been considered a great bang vs. buck budget monitor for quite some time:

http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/pro...m/cmt340m.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Infinity Es 250 Bipole Dipole Dual Monopole Surround Speaker