SURROUND SPEAKERS - Bipole, Dipole, Quadpole, Omnipole... WHICH ONE? - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: There are many surround speakers out there now, but the ones below would have to get my highest reco
Mirage OMD5 (or any other Mirage Omnipole) 48 21.33%
JBL P520WS / Infinity ES-250 / Infinity Classia C255ES (Dual-monopole for 4 channels from 2 speakers, but also Bipole & Dipole switchable) 15 6.67%
Axiom QS8 or QS4 (Unique Quadpole design) 56 24.89%
Paradigm ADP (Many models available with this design, where the tweeters run Dipole, but the woofers are Bipole) 44 19.56%
Monitor Audio BXFX or RXFX (Single woofer, but the tweeters can switch to either Dipole or Bipole) 25 11.11%
Monitor Audio GXFX (6 drivers, including a ribbon. (Monopole / Dipole switchable) 23 10.22%
KEF 26/2DS (Dipole only, alas... but with two 6.5 inch side woofers and a front-firing 8 inch!!! ) 20 8.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #961 of 978 Old 02-18-2017, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcchiefsfan View Post
You could always go with either one's on the sides and a set on the ceiling or just go with atmos speaker's in the high front position and forget about the ceiling and then add another sub. Just a couple more idea's to drive you nuts thinking about! Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
Hahah thanks for the idea. Before I had this 5.1.2 I had a 5.1 horribly placed with the side speakers on top of the main speakers and I thought it was good. So dumb.

Now I plan to go to 5.2.4 but change my rear speakers for some direct firing ones on stands.
I'm using atmos modules at the front and I was planning on getting 2 more for the back. Upfiring modules are working for me because of low flat ceiling and I'm renting so....

Also I want to upgrade my sub to 2 subs! Haha
This is driving me crazy. The only thing holding me back is the wife!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
jcchiefsfan likes this.

Last edited by LDBaha; 02-19-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 978 Old 02-18-2017, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBaha View Post
Hahah thanks for the idea. Before I had this 5.1.2 I had a 5.1 horribly placed with the side speakers on top of the main speakers and I thought it was good. So dumb.

Now I plan to go to 5.2.4 but change my rear speakers for some direct firing ones on stands.

I'm using atmos modules at the front and I was planning on getting 2 more for the back. Upfiring modules are working for me because of low flat ceiling and I'm renting so....

Also I want to upgrade my sub to 2 subs! Haha

This is driving me crazy. The only thing holding me back is the wife!

Lol! I have the same exact problem with my wife! It sounds to me like you have it all figured out and I think that is your best option. Let me know if you ever get it done. That bad boy will be a beast and you'll be future proofing with going with the atmos speaker's and if you come up with a way to get you wife to agree let me know because I'm running out of excuses for the upgrade fever!

post #963 of 978 Old 02-19-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcchiefsfan View Post
Lol! I have the same exact problem with my wife! It sounds to me like you have it all figured out and I think that is your best option. Let me know if you ever get it done. That bad boy will be a beast and you'll be future proofing with going with the atmos speaker's and if you come up with a way to get you wife to agree let me know because I'm running out of excuses for the upgrade fever!

Hahahaha. I've been doing a lot of research. I'm still debating if Bipoles or direct sound for rears. I might even go as far as to audition them when the time comes.
I have been able to find excuses on changing AVRs, speakers, atmos speakers etc. But everytime I talk about getting a new sub I just don't know what to say! Specially trying to justify 2 subs!
We live on an apartment so she has that on her favor because she always replies "but you can't play them loud" or vibrations will disturb the neighbors etc. I need to figure out a way to justify at least a $800 purchase on 2 subs.

On my defense, I've cut all other hobbies since I started on video/audio. So that keeps her calm.
jcchiefsfan likes this.

post #964 of 978 Old 02-21-2017, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
We got the Infinity Surround Speakers Reference RS152. Really Pleased with the performance
post #965 of 978 Old 02-21-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1jones View Post
We got the Infinity Surround Speakers Reference RS152. Really Pleased with the performance
Those are interesting. Do you prefer them over the direct firing speakers?

post #966 of 978 Old 02-25-2017, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Hahahaha. I've been doing a lot of research. I'm still debating if Bipoles or direct sound for rears. I might even go as far as to audition them when the time comes.
I have been able to find excuses on changing AVRs, speakers, atmos speakers etc. But everytime I talk about getting a new sub I just don't know what to say! Specially trying to justify 2 subs!
We live on an apartment so she has that on her favor because she always replies "but you can't play them loud" or vibrations will disturb the neighbors etc. I need to figure out a way to justify at least a $800 purchase on 2 subs.

On my defense, I've cut all other hobbies since I started on video/audio. So that keeps her calm.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...guidelines.pdf
post #967 of 978 Old 02-25-2017, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:

Keeping the better half happy is always important

If you at talking rear surround, and not side ones (also came in very late into this conversation).
I would go direct, for the side surrounds, my suggestion would be still direct and have tried also Bi-Di types, but it is a Preference on my part

For the subs question, 2 subs will always be better than one, very few case 1 is better (none that I know).
I am sure, that you get a better price/shipping value when buying two, instead of one at the time.
Try to sell this idea, save money on the long run

Ray
post #968 of 978 Old 03-19-2017, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
In keeping with my Klipsch theme, I'm gonna pick up the RP250s soon as I can. I just got my brand new RF7s and RC64deliverd this weekend. It makes sense, to me, that a dipole setup would create a more saturated sound field... Having little to no exp in this matter I'm looking forward to getting some...mwhaha

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
post #969 of 978 Old 03-30-2017, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I bought the motion 4's for surround speakers. (5.1).

My couch is on the same wall as where I will mount the speakers. I purchased pivoting mounts.

My original plan was to aim just in front of MLP and 2' above ears.

Before I put holes in the wall, I wanted to verify this as being correct. I can pull my couch forward a foot for movie night, but no just for tv.

I was told the Motion 4's would be good for surround but now wondering if I should have bought the FX?

Thanks in advance.

LG OLED65E6P Marantz 7011 ML Motion 50XT Center ML Motion 4's rear
post #970 of 978 Old 05-26-2017, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Bottom line, what speakers are currently good for a good surround experience (brand, price, model)? Lets say less that $200 a piece.
post #971 of 978 Old 05-31-2017, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Is it ok to mix & match speakers when it comes to surrounds?

I have JBL 590's for my fronts and a 520C for the center. I just got 4 RSL C34E's for in-ceiling atmos. The dimensions of my dedicated HT room are 20' length X 14' width. I am having a really tough time deciding on surrounds and rears. Please help...

Last edited by the_jaguar; 05-31-2017 at 08:01 PM.
post #972 of 978 Old 06-01-2017, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_jaguar View Post
Is it ok to mix & match speakers when it comes to surrounds?

I have JBL 590's for my fronts and a 520C for the center. I just got 4 RSL C34E's for in-ceiling atmos. The dimensions of my dedicated HT room are 20' length X 14' width. I am having a really tough time deciding on surrounds and rears. Please help...

In the best word, everything should be match.
But when it come to surrounds, you have some leeway

My four surrounds are a perfect match to my front three.
Now I am working to get ceiling speakers for Atmos.
I end-up getting four SVS Elevation, not a perfect match to my Aperion bookshelf's.

So Yes, it is OK to mix and match, since it will not be as critical as your front stage.

Ray
post #973 of 978 Old 06-01-2017, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
In the best word, everything should be match.
But when it come to surrounds, you have some leeway

My four surrounds are a perfect match to my front three.
Now I am working to get ceiling speakers for Atmos.
I end-up getting four SVS Elevation, not a perfect match to my Aperion bookshelf's.

So Yes, it is OK to mix and match, since it will not be as critical as your front stage.

Ray
Thanks for the input. I have my front LCR matching (JBL 590 and 520C). I ended up buying RSL C34E for the in-ceiling atmos setup, so I went with RSL CG3's for surrounds. A bit of mix & match, but still keeping the differences minimal. I am hoping this will all play out well.
post #974 of 978 Old 06-01-2017, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_jaguar View Post
Thanks for the input. I have my front LCR matching (JBL 590 and 520C). I ended up buying RSL C34E for the in-ceiling atmos setup, so I went with RSL CG3's for surrounds. A bit of mix & match, but still keeping the differences minimal. I am hoping this will all play out well.

I think, they will

Your ceiling speaker and surrounds are made by the same company.
And RSL look like another ID company that might get popular in the future.

Anyhow, let us know on how you like your new set-up!
I will bet you a nickel ($0.05, not sure if that term is use outside Canada ), that it will sound great.

Enjoy!

Ray
the_jaguar likes this.
post #975 of 978 Old 06-06-2017, 10:43 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I just added the SVS Ultra Surrounds to my 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos set up. They replaced a pair of Axiom QS8s. I have them set up in the bipole configuration, in the surround position, and find them to be excellent. I use monopole in-walls for the rear surrounds, and four in-ceiling speakers in the top front/rear positions. I find the imaging and spacial quality of the Ultras to be terrific at handling effects at ear level, with no compromise to the mix of sounds emanating from the channels above.

Regards,

It appears the consensus among the "experts" is Bipoles for side surrounds in typical home sized theater rooms-

Anthony Grimani also advocates using Bipoles
https://twit.tv/shows/home-theater-geeks/episodes/177
https://twit.tv/shows/home-theater-geeks/episodes/178
https://twit.tv/shows/home-theater-geeks/episodes/233

Bottom line- every room and personal preferences vary.

But I think for most home-sized theaters, bipoles may replicate the sound of recent design large commercial theaters, with their rows of multiple side (monopole) speakers, without requiring several monopole side speakers/wall for multi-row (Seating) home theaters.

But as always, YMMV, try monopoles and bipoles before judging.

The idea is that for multiple row home theaters, yes you *could* install multiple monopoles on each side wall (requiring more amps for extra speakers), but this is more complicated and the speakers may end up sounding too localized or "in the ear" of some seat positions due to the smaller dimensions of home sized theater rooms vs large commercial venues.
toddRiffic likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 08-28-2017 at 06:17 AM.
post #976 of 978 Old 08-27-2017, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
It appears the consensus among the "experts" is Bipoles for side surrounds in typical home sized theater rooms-

Anthony Grimani also advocates using Bipoles
https://twit.tv/shows/home-theater-geeks/episodes/177
https://twit.tv/shows/home-theater-geeks/episodes/178
https://twit.tv/shows/home-theater-geeks/episodes/233

Bottom line- every room and personal preferences vary.

But I think for most home-sized theaters, bipoles may replicate the sound of recent design large commercial theaters, with their rows of multiple side (monopole) speakers, without requiring several monopole side speakers/wall for multi-row home theaters.

But as always, YMMV, try monopoles and bipoles before judging.

The idea is that for multiple row home theaters, yes you *could* install multiple monopoles on each side wall (requiring more amps for extra speakers), but this is more complicated and the speakers may end up sounding too localized or "in the ear" of some seat positions due to the smaller dimensions of home sized theater rooms vs large commercial venues.
I was looking at the fluance sxbp bipole speakers as my side rears in a 5.1.2 atmos setup. My front's will be Chane 1.4/2.4 but I'm told I can go cheap on the surrounds. The room is small - 10x14 and the seats will be back against the 14' wall almost to the corner. It sounds like bipoles would be a good match. Can I position these so close to the listener? It would basically be 2 feet above and a foot to the left of the leftmost listener. The right would be a bit further away..

I take it the in ceiling atmos speakers will be direct firing but I haven't gotten that far into it. Any suggestions on good value speakers for the side surrounds and the ceiling surrounds?
post #977 of 978 Old 08-28-2017, 06:16 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizorith View Post
I was looking at the fluance sxbp bipole speakers as my side rears in a 5.1.2 atmos setup. My front's will be Chane 1.4/2.4 but I'm told I can go cheap on the surrounds. The room is small - 10x14 and the seats will be back against the 14' wall almost to the corner. It sounds like bipoles would be a good match. Can I position these so close to the listener? It would basically be 2 feet above and a foot to the left of the leftmost listener. The right would be a bit further away..

I take it the in ceiling atmos speakers will be direct firing but I haven't gotten that far into it. Any suggestions on good value speakers for the side surrounds and the ceiling surrounds?
One of the go to speakers for surround/ceiling are the DIYSG Volt's (6,8 or 10)
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/coaxial-speaker-kits.html

These are monopoles.

You want to place any speaker (Mono or bipole) so that it doesn't shoot directly into the ear of seated viewers during a movie, i.e. placed above and/or behind the viewers.

There should be enough distance from the speaker to the closest ear to allow the speaker to radiate/spread the sound.
post #978 of 978 Old 09-09-2017, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I recommended quadpole or omnipole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Infinity Es 250 Bipole Dipole Dual Monopole Surround Speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version