SURROUND SPEAKERS - Bipole, Dipole, Quadpole, Omnipole... WHICH ONE? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: There are many surround speakers out there now, but the ones below would have to get my highest reco
Mirage OMD5 (or any other Mirage Omnipole) 23 23.00%
JBL P520WS / Infinity ES-250 / Infinity Classia C255ES (Dual-monopole for 4 channels from 2 speakers, but also Bipole & Dipole switchable) 4 4.00%
Axiom QS8 or QS4 (Unique Quadpole design) 26 26.00%
Paradigm ADP (Many models available with this design, where the tweeters run Dipole, but the woofers are Bipole) 18 18.00%
Monitor Audio BXFX or RXFX (Single woofer, but the tweeters can switch to either Dipole or Bipole) 13 13.00%
Monitor Audio GXFX (6 drivers, including a ribbon. (Monopole / Dipole switchable) 11 11.00%
KEF 26/2DS (Dipole only, alas... but with two 6.5 inch side woofers and a front-firing 8 inch!!! ) 5 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #121 of 708 Old 08-17-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Can one dipole or bipole be use in a 5.1 or 7.1 setp? Or do a pair has to be use in the setup?

You need one pair for 5.1 and two pair for 7.1. I think there are some out there that have double monopole connections, but you would still need more than one so you could place them appropriately.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 708 Old 08-17-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 View Post

You need one pair for 5.1 and two pair for 7.1. I think there are some out there that have double monopole connections, but you would still need more than one so you could place them appropriately.

Thanks for the information.
post #123 of 708 Old 08-17-2009, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Can one dipole or bipole be use in a 5.1 or 7.1 setp? Or do a pair has to be use in the setup?

A single bipole/dipole would give you 4.1, with a mono surround.

If you were to use a single dual-monopole, you could get away with that.
But the two surround channels would be awfully close together. Ideally, you'd need to be sitting very close to the rear wall, with each channel reflecting quite a lot of the side walls.

For the record, this is a compact way of getting 7.1 with just three surround speakers (as long as one also has speakers on the side walls).

Click on my signature to see my dual-monopole setup....
post #124 of 708 Old 08-17-2009, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I spent years wondering about proper placement and types. Now I understand that I need bipoles (switchable if possible).
Next question- I have Kef Reference 201/2 bookshelf fronts. I read somewhere else that If I have metal tweeters in front I should have metal tweeters in rear. My fronts are 1 in. titanium. Would really any metal do such as aluminum or is there a proper tweeter so that there would be little imbalance from front to rear in my 5.1.system? As you notice I am a quick learner. I am thinking (2) 5.5 in.opposing woofers and 1 or 2?? tweeters for each of my my rear speakers
Dave
post #125 of 708 Old 08-17-2009, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehale View Post

I spent years wondering about proper placement and types. Now I understand that I need bipoles (switchable if possible).
Next question- I have Kef Reference 201/2 bookshelf fronts. I read somewhere else that If I have metal tweeters in front I should have metal tweeters in rear. My fronts are 1 in. titanium. Would really any metal do such as aluminum or is there a proper tweeter so that there would be little imbalance from front to rear in my 5.1.system? As you notice I am a quick learner. I am thinking (2) 5.5 in.opposing woofers and 1 or 2?? tweeters for each of my my rear speakers
Dave

Well in principal, one should always get as close a match as possible to the fronts.

In practice, however, you're dealing with areas of the room that sound completely different, with speakers that will be placed very differently to the fronts.

There are metal tweeters and metal tweeters of course, and the voicing and crossover of the speakers will be different as well.

Personally, I wouldn't be too fussed, unless perhaps I had horns at the front.

For what it's worth, in the past I've used same-brand tower speakers for surrounds with nearly identical voicing and tweeters as my fronts.
But these days I have no problems at all mixing brands, so long as the overall tonality and quality is similar.

If you have Audyssey, this will EQ for the differences as well.

By the way, have you looked at Monitor Audio BFX and RSFX surrounds?
http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/produ...x/your-speaker
http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/produ...x/your-speaker
post #126 of 708 Old 08-17-2009, 06:39 PM

Was wondering if you can place 5.1 setup rear speakers on the back wall. This is where the 7.1 speakers normally would go. I ask this because I have an open room with no wall on the left side and the right side is a window.

The only other option it to place them on stands or on the window sill and table on left side

Any thoughts
post #127 of 708 Old 08-17-2009, 07:03 PM

I would prefer in walls such as the Def tech UIW bpz/a. They show up on Ebay occasionally for $400 a pair. I woul have bought them then if I knew then I needed bipolars unfortunately I was waiting for dipolars.
post #128 of 708 Old 08-17-2009, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybroker View Post

Was wondering if you can place 5.1 setup rear speakers on the back wall. This is where the 7.1 speakers normally would go. I ask this because I have an open room with no wall on the left side and the right side is a window.

The only other option it to place them on stands or on the window sill and table on left side

Any thoughts

Yes you can put them on the rear wall. Try to place them a couple of feet above ear level.

How far behind your seating area is the rear wall?

Steve

post #129 of 708 Old 08-18-2009, 12:42 AM

I have enjoyed this thread.

I am considering some of the points here in finishing my 5.1 HT setup.

I have a Family Room that is acoustically challenged as the actual viewing/seating area is 13 X 15 x 10 (ceiling) but the back of the couch opens to the kitchen and the room/area is asymmetrical as one side opens to the walkways to the living room/bedrooms. Regardless of all that the speaker lines where the speakers will be placed are roughly 30 degrees behind and ~8' above the listeners ear (10' from the floor). Can't place the speakers directly to the side of the listeners ear(s) as one side has an arcadia door/glass and the other side is a light switch/corner turn (architectural feature of the house)

In any case I guess I am leaning ever more with the bi/dipole camp and am interested in those Axiom QS8s' My home is prewired and I wanted to throw those bad-boys on the ceiling for my surrounds.

I have Def Techs Mythos STs for fronts and M10 center powered by an Onkyo 906. My SVS PC-13 sub is on it's way and I might go with a two sub setup so the lows will be well taken care of.

Asking the gurus for advice on this setup and if the Axioms or JBLs (or Def Tech's UIW bipolar) ON the ceiling is a plausible setup
post #130 of 708 Old 08-18-2009, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Axiom does have ceiling mounts available so that wouldn't be a problem.
post #131 of 708 Old 08-18-2009, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would prefer in walls such as the Def tech UIW bpz/a. They show up on Ebay occasionally for $400 a pair. I woul have bought them then if I knew then I needed bipolars unfortunately I was waiting for dipolars.

If you're after in-walls, then they look excellent. The 6.5" woofers and deep response hold a lot of promise.

Let us know how you go!
post #132 of 708 Old 08-18-2009, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta09 View Post

I have enjoyed this thread.

I am considering some of the points here in finishing my 5.1 HT setup.

I have a Family Room that is acoustically challenged as the actual viewing/seating area is 13 X 15 x 10 (ceiling) but the back of the couch opens to the kitchen and the room/area is asymmetrical as one side opens to the walkways to the living room/bedrooms. Regardless of all that the speaker lines where the speakers will be placed are roughly 30 degrees behind and ~8' above the listeners ear (10' from the floor). Can't place the speakers directly to the side of the listeners ear(s) as one side has an arcadia door/glass and the other side is a light switch/corner turn (architectural feature of the house)

In any case I guess I am leaning ever more with the bi/dipole camp and am interested in those Axiom QS8s' My home is prewired and I wanted to throw those bad-boys on the ceiling for my surrounds.

I have Def Techs Mythos STs for fronts and M10 center powered by an Onkyo 906. My SVS PC-13 sub is on it's way and I might go with a two sub setup so the lows will be well taken care of.

Asking the gurus for advice on this setup and if the Axioms or JBLs (or Def Tech's UIW bipolar) ON the ceiling is a plausible setup

Well in your setup, you could do a lot worse than putting surrounds like these on the ceiling.
By all accounts, the Axioms seem worth a try, especially with their money-back guarantee.

But being a 7-channel fan, I'd be going for dual-monopoles any day.
If ceiling-mounting them, I'd fire the rear channels against the back wall. That should work nicely.
post #133 of 708 Old 08-18-2009, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybroker View Post

Any thoughts

I am so glad that you asked this question, because there are MANY people in this situation (including myself) where the listening area is against the back wall. You bring up a GREAT point in that DOLBY and THX recommends the SURROUND speakers almost to the side of the listener, and the REAR surround to the back. I agree that in this described room layout it seems that speakers mounted on the rear wall may be the easiest and most room friendly.

I would LOVE to hear input from you all, but this is the exact scenario I have been brain storming about. My best idea, and ultimate comprimise for this type of room layout is using BIPOLE as the surrounds. First of all, I think those surrounds should be designed like the Klipsch RS-62, where the driver and tweeter is mounted on a steep angle on a triangle (or trapezoid) shaped box. That speaker should than be mounted AT LEAST 2 feet above the listener and placed very wide almost to the corner. The inside driver/tweeter would be at almost that side position that I talked about above. In addition, the other driver/tweeter would fire towards the side wall causing reflection. In theory that reflection would create a wider and more believable surround field. I think that is important, because THERE IS a large gap between the front LCR and these surround speakers. I recommend bipoles in this application because the speaker would be mouted on/near the back wall, and perhaps the reflection may cause the slightly out of phase effect where dipoles supposedly have their benifit. You also won't encounter the potential loss in lower freqency response that are somewhat inheriant with dual driver dipoles.

Notice that I did not recommend that tweeter-driver-tweeter surround design, because I think you may loose some of that side directionality (and wall reflection) that I was trying to create.

Again, PLEASE comment on your thoughts of this idea for surround speakers in a back wall seated room layout.

Quote:

I am currently using my homes in-wall speaker as my surround speakers in my current 5.1 set-up. I actually kind of like (and get a lot of compliments) from those old JBL in-walls. They came with my used house and are actually 4 feet above the listener. I plan on adding those bipoles in the configuartion I described above and think that my rear wall mounted in-walls would be perfect for my REAR SURROUND speakers when I jump to 7.1. I have posted pics of my room several posts back. Companys like Speakercraft make bipole in-walls.
post #134 of 708 Old 08-18-2009, 02:25 PM

filecat
I want that whiz, zing and thump in proper order-LOL Why else would we want a 5.1. I just don't want to make a purchasing mistake.
In my small room, the consensus here so far is
(2) bipolars in rear wall, (sorry no on-wall)
opposing tweeters in each speaker if possible.
Now to slow down a little and backup, I could go 7.1 but
Here is my scenareo:
My 2 front very good stand mounted bookshelf speakers are 10 feet in front of me.
My rears will be 18 inches from the back wall to my ears
Question: does anyone think that I could go with side surrounds? They would be centerd above my side window L and R and would need to be laid lorizontally so as to clear my window and ceiling (10 in.) Keep in mind I must have in walss nor on walls
Dave
post #135 of 708 Old 08-18-2009, 02:39 PM

Sorry for the last post as I should be using my glasses. Nothing wrong with my hearing though - yet! It should read must have in walls not on-walls. I should also add the side walls if centered from front to rear would be at approx 4.6 ft equal distance from front speakers to my ears. Would this placement be correct or would the side surrounds be closer to my ears and further from my front speakers. If so, I take it equal distance dont matter.
Dave
post #136 of 708 Old 08-18-2009, 10:48 PM

Well I guess once again in my buying flurry it comes down to another showdown

The Paradigm ADP590s v. the Axiom QS8s for my surrounds.

Plenty of plugs for both online. Some of the Paradigms Pro reviews make me vomit. For the Axioms, like E.Haggis stated though it's hard to beat a 30 day MBG. Still I'd like to get the best option (as always right?)

Seems that the folks on other forums and places online promote same line of speakers due to timber balance and signal response but I had also read you can attempt to have the same driver material and things should work out.
-The STs are aluminum drivers
-the Paradigms are ferrofluid blah blah (WTF?!!!!????!!) snake oil, snakeleather housed die-cast blah blah (not trying to start flames but c'mon!!! In any case it's different from aluminum).
-The Axioms are Titanium.

Naturally the ADPs are almost double the cost MSRP. Don't know if we'll hear from Sean to see how his ADP's worked out. My main thing is are the ADPs and their in-phase bass THAT much better to justify the price? I had thought that surround speakers don't need to drive lower signals in most movies?

Why not go with the Def Tech surrounds? Well it seems that their offerings are Bipolar only and since, IF I am reading all these posts accurately it is best to have Bipolar speakers on each side of the listeners this is something I cannot do. Thus the dipole effect with my room acoustics and pre-wired lines may be the best option for me. Additionally, I have read the glorious reviews on the fronts and haven't heard to much clamoring about the rest of the Def Tech offerings.

Don't mind mixing and matching and have no quams with taking the time to do it right. This is my first HT though so I am hearing all this through rookie ears.

Again what do you guys think. Is there something I am missing? Thanks for the responses BTW.
post #137 of 708 Old 08-19-2009, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well hasn't this thread become popular!

Zeta, generally, bipoles are better than dipoles, especially when you're running 7.1 and have rear speakers to help spread the sound around.

Dipoles tend to come into their own if you're stuck a little closer to them than you'd like, and if you can reliably sit in the null area. This applies with 5.1 and 7.1.

Quadpolars like the Axioms have the advantage of being diffuse sounding while still in phase. Without having properly tested them, I'd give them the theoretical edge over both both dipoles and bipoles in most situations.

Again, I'm not sure why you wouldn't think about 7.1 with 2 dual-monopoles, like I'm doing. I'm stuck with only being able to have two speakers on the back wall, and I wouldn't have it any other way in my current room...... except perhaps four QS8's along the back wall !

But as always, it's very room dependent, and we haven't seen pics of your room and setup.
post #138 of 708 Old 08-19-2009, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

filecat
I want that whiz, zing and thump in proper order-LOL Why else would we want a 5.1. I just don't want to make a purchasing mistake.
In my small room, the consensus here so far is
(2) bipolars in rear wall, (sorry no on-wall)
opposing tweeters in each speaker if possible.
Now to slow down a little and backup, I could go 7.1 but
Here is my scenareo:
My 2 front very good stand mounted bookshelf speakers are 10 feet in front of me.
My rears will be 18 inches from the back wall to my ears
Question: does anyone think that I could go with side surrounds? They would be centerd above my side window L and R and would need to be laid lorizontally so as to clear my window and ceiling (10 in.) Keep in mind I must have in walss nor on walls
Dave

Given you want in-walls, I'd do this...

* Go 7.1.
* Put in the Def Tech bipoles at the rear, as far out and away as you can. (Pictures?)
* Put in two more of these on the side walls (laid horizontally), as low down as you can get away with, to either side of the seating area.
* Live happily ever after.
post #139 of 708 Old 08-19-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:

IF I am reading all these posts accurately it is best to have Bipolar speakers on each side of the listeners this is something I cannot do. Thus the dipole effect with my room acoustics and pre-wired lines may be the best option for me.

Why can't use bipolar speakers?

Just to clarify I think the QS8s are technically bipolar because all 4 drivers are in phase. However, their design does give them a more diffuse sound than other bipolar speakers IMO.

Quote:

The Paradigm ADP590s v. the Axiom QS8s for my surrounds.

You might also consider the Emotiva ERD-1 if you can live with black speakers. They are selectable between bipolar and dipolar and have been compared favorably to the QS8s though there are very few reviews of them.

I believe Axiom charges $15 each return shipping on surround speakers so if you do want to do it right see if you can't get a hold of a set of each and demo them in your room returning the looser.

If you want, contact me over at the Axiom forum (username=grunt) if you want to give the QS8s a listen. I live over in Avondale and I've got a pair of QS8s sitting idle as I'm only using 5.1 right now. Might be able to arrange to bring them over to your place for a demo if you wish. Though spending some time A/B comparing your choices over time would really be best.

Cheers,
Dean

"Tact is just not saying true stuff" Cordelia Chase.
post #140 of 708 Old 08-19-2009, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt11 View Post

You might also consider the Emotiva ERD-1 if you can live with black speakers. They are selectable between bipolar and dipolar and have been compared favorably to the QS8s though there are very few reviews of them.

+1. I have never heard the Emotivas; however, they get some strong positive reviews (for surrounds) here on AVS. I have also read posts where people were not impressed with the QS8s and thought they were over rated. Of course everything in life will have its fans and critics; however, I have not seen the ERD-1s mentioned here much. The only thing that kept me from getting them is that they are 4ohms (my receiver can only handle 8ohms), and they are the tweeter-driver-tweeter design (I was trying to go with a more traditional bipole).
post #141 of 708 Old 08-19-2009, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

I am so glad that you asked this question, because there are MANY people in this situation (including myself) where the listening area is against the back wall. You bring up a GREAT point in that DOLBY and THX recommends the SURROUND speakers almost to the side of the listener, and the REAR surround to the back. I agree that in this described room layout it seems that speakers mounted on the rear wall may be the easiest and most room friendly.

I would LOVE to hear input from you all, but this is the exact scenario I have been brain storming about. My best idea, and ultimate comprimise for this type of room layout is using BIPOLE as the surrounds. First of all, I think those surrounds should be designed like the Klipsch RS-62, where the driver and tweeter is mounted on a steep angle on a triangle (or trapezoid) shaped box. That speaker should than be mounted AT LEAST 2 feet above the listener and placed very wide almost to the corner. The inside driver/tweeter would be at almost that side position that I talked about above. In addition, the other driver/tweeter would fire towards the side wall causing reflection. In theory that reflection would create a wider and more believable surround field. I think that is important, because THERE IS a large gap between the front LCR and these surround speakers. I recommend bipoles in this application because the speaker would be mouted on/near the back wall, and perhaps the reflection may cause the slightly out of phase effect where dipoles supposedly have their benifit. You also won't encounter the potential loss in lower freqency response that are somewhat inheriant with dual driver dipoles.

You described my setup almost exactly, right down the the model of surround speaker I use. IMO it works VERY well. I'm very pleased with the results I get from this setup. The sound field is wide and spacious and I have no complaints at all. If you want to see pics, click on the link in my sig.

Steve

post #142 of 708 Old 08-19-2009, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 View Post

You described my setup almost exactly, right down the the model of surround speaker I use. IMO it works VERY well. I'm very pleased with the results I get from this setup. The sound field is wide and spacious and I have no complaints at all. If you want to see pics, click on the link in my sig.

Haha! Awesome! Fireman, you may be able to answer a few questions I had because it seems that your scenario will be very similar to mine....all the way down to your Onkyo 605 and possible MFW-15. I think that the surround in the corner is exactly what I was aiming for; however, the other surround is not firing next to a wall and into a more open space(much like my set-up).

(1) Is the surround field uneven due to strong reflection from one side, and not as much reflection from the other?

(2) Also, with the somewhat direct nature of Klipsch (and bipoles), can you localize the position of the surround speaker when listening??

(3) How did Onkyo dial in your surrounds? What frequency and level were they set to?

Thanks!!
post #143 of 708 Old 08-19-2009, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

Haha! Awesome! Fireman, you may be able to answer a few questions I had because it seems that your scenario will be very similar to mine....all the way down to your Onkyo 605 and possible MFW-15. I think that the surround in the corner is exactly what I was aiming for; however, the other surround is not firing next to a wall and into a more open space(much like my set-up).

(1) Is the surround field uneven due to strong reflection from one side, and not as much reflection from the other?

(2) Also, with the somewhat direct nature of Klipsch (and bipoles), can you localize the position of the surround speaker when listening??

(3) How did Onkyo dial in your surrounds? What frequency and level were they set to?

Thanks!!

IMO there's not a whole lot of difference between the left and right surround. I tried to intentionally pull the left one away from the corner as much as I could without getting too close to the sofa because as you pointed out the right one isn't in a corner. When I play the test tone from the receiver, the sound has a little different characteristic between the two surround, due most likely to one being in a corner. In real world movie watching, I can't tell a difference. While watching movies I never get the distracting feeling that I could point directly at either surround speaker without looking at it, but sounds that are supposed to be directional still are. I hope that makes sense, but I'm not sure if that answers your question or not. If you need further clarification just say so.

Audyssey set one of the surrounds 1 Db lower than the other (one at -1 and the other at -2, I don't remember for sure which was which), but I bumped them both up to 0 because I like plenty of surround sound in action movies, and IMO they're very very close volume-wise. It also set everything to full band, but I changed everything to 80 Hz, and LPF is set at 80 Hz. One day I'll get around to buying an SPL meter and getting them dialed in as good as possible. I'm hoping to upgrade my receiver to one of the new Pio Elite SC-27s in the next few months, and I'm curious how the MCACC will perform in comparison to Audyssey in the Onkyo. I guess it's not a fair comparison though, since the 605 uses the 2EQ instead of a "full" Audyssey setup.

Anyway, I hope this helps you out, but if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Steve

post #144 of 708 Old 08-19-2009, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

By the way, anyone in the market for in-wall or in-ceiling speakers should be aware that JBL and B&W both make dual-channel speakers with independant tweeters...

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...at=ISP&ser=SPT

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/display.aspx?infid=2062

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=2056

I'm sure there are other manufacturers doing this....?
post #145 of 708 Old 08-19-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt11 View Post

Why can’t use bipolar speakers?

because....

Quote:

Can't place the speakers directly to the side of the listeners ear(s) as one side has an arcadia door/glass and the other side is a light switch/corner turn (architectural feature of the house)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_Haggis View Post

Again, I'm not sure why you wouldn't think about 7.1 with 2 dual-monopoles, like I'm doing. I'm stuck with only being able to have two speakers on the back wall, and I wouldn't have it any other way in my current room...... except perhaps four QS8's along the back wall !

Remember E_H, I don't have a back wall. My family room opens right into our rather large Kitchen. So the "next" wall is the wall where the cabinets are....another ~15 ft back. Open concept and nice and spacious for living not great for acoustics. IF I had a dedicated room then I would do 7.1 but I just have the wiring for 5.1 so I'll have to go with the On (or In but not my preference) -ceiling speakers.

Leaning more and more towards the Axioms then....Still will post pics once it's all done and make a decision soon. I am still waiting to see if the Panny 65V10 will show up around me so I can take a look at it....
post #146 of 708 Old 08-19-2009, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Aha. Sorry, Zeta. Hard to keep track of everyone's rooms without pics.

Sounds like your best options are, from best to worst...

1. Two dual-monopoles (on or in-wall), with the intention of laying two more wires in the future.

2. A pair of Axiom QS8's on the side walls or ceiling.

3. A pair of bipoles in the side walls or ceiling
post #147 of 708 Old 09-08-2009, 11:23 PM

Well.....

Finally have them up and everything balanced and setup. This is NOT the final version of my HT as I am STILL waiting for the Panny 65V10 that I have on order and once mounted and everything is moved to it's final resting place then I'll post pics.

Besides all that, The Axioms don't sound bad to me. I played with the EQ a bit had them set to 90Hz crossover. I guess to really tell the difference I would have to put up the Def Tech Gem XLs and/or the ADPs but with what I have I can say I don't mind them. I also would need a demo of what the "perfect" sound room/setup is as I am just ignorant to what that is at the moment.

For the acoustics of my family room/house I think I am pleased with them enough to keep them up there. But you never know......Thanks to everyone for the advice and interesting posts.
post #148 of 708 Old 09-08-2009, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

G'day Zeta.

What interests me most about the Axioms is their supposed ability to be decent point-source speakers, yet magically diffuse when needs be.
What would you say about that?

The dual woofers firing up and down is an interesting twist, and what really sets them aprt from bipoles.
What sort of things do you notice as you move around the speakers while they're playing?
post #149 of 708 Old 09-10-2009, 11:42 PM

I guess

I would have to say at this point I don't feel comfortable speaking of their point source performance since I don't fully understand the difference. Don't misconstrue. I understand the concept (bread in pond analogy) but in my case I have the drivers facing toward the listeners ear.... .... for now. I did try to have them face the opposite way and felt it didn't seem diffuse just muffled. I may try it again though. I DID feel that I could ID where the sounds were coming from so in that case it seems I have set them up wrong but with different settings (PL II, Neo 6 Cinema, THX etc) I do feel that it does improve. I just have to play with it. I again don't have my final setup yet so once I do then I could truly give a more intelligent opinion.

The surround woofers are competent shall we say but I have a 46" SVS sub so again I am not as concerned about the surround woofers perfomance as the SVS can wholly handle all low frequency sound (and then some). I am hardly at a loss for low frequency sound and more would truly be overkill......so that means I just might get another sub....HEEHEHEHEEEEE!!!

I'll keep the information coming though once my setup is finalized.
post #150 of 708 Old 09-23-2009, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I watched U-571 on blu ray and was amazed at how hard that 10 year old movie works the surrounds!! There was definitely some low content being sent to the surrounds, because I have never heard my surrounds strain like that. Keep in mind that I have 8yr old in-walls that came with the house mounted on the rear wall 4 feet directly above (and right behind) the listener.

I have decided that since I can't place speakers on the side wall, I will get bipoles like:

Can someone recommend a speaker designed like this that can

(1) get to 80hz and yield a large/wide soundstage
(2) I don't want to spend more than $350 to $400
(3) Is a relatively effecient 8 ohm speaker/bipole

I don't want to get the Klipsch because they will be a bit too brite and too much of a mis-match for my AV123 mains.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Infinity Es 250 Bipole Dipole Dual Monopole Surround Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page