Yamaha Owners Thread - NS series review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 07-16-2007, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
corejonp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Upstate, Ny
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm surprised I could not find a Yamaha owners thread. To me, the quality of the yamaha speakers is unbeatable in their price class. I think in order to out perform the quality of these speakers one would either have to build their own, or jump up in price by a factor of 2-3. I know most people will say that these speakers are very precise, and I ask why is that such a bad thing. I'm young (21) so maybe my ears havn't aquired the same acoustic taste as many others. I still feel there is a place for these speakers in many HT set ups as you get a lot for your money. I own the NS-555's, a NS-C444 center, and two NX-333 bookshelve speakers, so this is my review, impression, and feelings on yamaha, and their speakers from a young guy.

The company: Yamaha is a company that sticks its hands into many pots. Just go to their website, and you'll see that this company has many faces. They do mass produce their products, so true, if you where to compare the to higher end speakers, no doubt, you would know they where the cheaper of the two, but not by much, and for the money you save, you could build a complete suround system rather and a 2.1.

The quality is superb, and surprising for what you pay. The 555's are what I choose as my mains, as they are large, and provide great sound, however they wern't the largest, yamaha offers the 777's, which are a little bigger, and can handle (albeit very little) extra power (I think its like one watt). The speakers are heavy at 44 lbs, and come packaged very nicely. The finish is amazing, the same piano black finish of their pianos. The speaker has 2 6 1/2 inch PMD cone woofers, 5 inch midrange with waveguide horn, and 1" aluminiam dome tweeter with waveguide horn. The speakers are wired internally with monster cable (but as we all know, monster cable is overprices power cord) it still adds a nice touch. The overall fit and finish of these speakers are great, and for the price I dare say, unbeatable.



The NS-C444 Center adds nicely to the set up. Adds 2 more 5" PMD cone woofers, and a 1" aluminum cone tweeter with waveguide horn. Again fit and finish is great. It can handle what you throw at it, no distortion, very clear. I should add the shielding is great on these speakers, had them directly against my old crt for a few weeks before I got the new tv stand and tv, and there was no problems.




The NS-333 Bookshelve speakers: These are awesome. You could build an entire system with these if you really wanted to. They offer great sound, and if you where blind folded, would swear you where listening to a much larger speaker. Again, great piano black finish. Each booksehlve speaker has a 5" PMD cone woofer, and a 1" aluminium tweeter with a waveguide horn.



Down to the point: These are not the worlds best speakers, I'm not dilusional. However, I believe in a good deal, and the pursuit of great sound, while at the same time having enough money left over to pay my bills. I believe for the money these speakers would be very....very hard to beat. The quality of these speakers, from the materials used, to construction, to the internal, and external connections point to a quality, well made speaker for their price range, and in my opinion, you are getting every one of your pennies worth out of these speakers.

.."wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?"
corejonp1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 Old 09-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
jtenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the same speakers but in a 7.1 setup. They sound great in my opinion and I think they are often overlooked. I've always liked Yamaha speakers. I also own a pair of NS-1000's that I use for my music setup upstairs.

jtenn is offline  
post #3 of 33 Old 09-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Member
 
kw3rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have my music only system setup with 555's for mains, a 444 center, and the 333's for surrounds, (with a BIC Acoustech sub) and I couldn't be happier. I dare anyone to build a better music system for the price.

I have read a few reviews on these speakers that mentioned several shortcomings, specifically: cheap tweeters, poor bass, and harsh at loud volumes. However, I have experienced none of these. I have found their high end to be very clean and not the least bit harsh, especially when compared to the Klipsch, Polk, and JBL's you find at a similar price. Cymbals shimmer, and violins sing with a three dimensionality you usually don't find at this price point.

And while their low end is nothing to brag about, it is tight and lacking that annoying boxey resonance you find in most consumer grade speakers. In fact, I think that its their best feature. There is no boominess, no hollow sound, and not exaggerated or overly dynamic. In other words, they have more of an audiophile sensibility, and less of a "dude! check out that killer bass!" sensibility.

I do agree however, that their biggest weakness is their sound-staging. In fact, I would caution against using them for a 2.1 system. In a 5.1, or a 7.1 system however, this shortcoming is hardly noticeable, especially if paired with a good sub and an accurately setup receiver.

As for the "harsh at loud volumes" complaint, I haven't noticed it at all and I've been known to crank it. I have a feeling that any harshness that's been observed in the past by others, can probably be attributed to their receivers shortcomings and not their speakers. Then again it might be my taste in music. I tend to listen to pretty mellow stuff nowadays and I haven't really tested it with screaming, overdriven guitar solos.

Please understand, I am NOT claiming that these speakers are perfect. They are just (IMO) better than any consumer grade speaker I've heard for the price. If you have champaign tastes on a beer budget (like me) these are just the ticket.
kw3rd is offline  
post #4 of 33 Old 09-15-2007, 06:20 AM
Member
 
bottlemech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw3rd View Post


I do agree however, that their biggest weakness is their sound-staging. In fact, I would caution against using them for a 2.1 system. In a 5.1, or a 7.1 system however, this shortcoming is hardly noticeable, especially if paired with a good sub and an accurately setup receiver.

I disagree with the sound-staging being a weakness, as with most box speakers the sound stage is typically not much larger than the distance between the 2 speakers. I have been auditioning speakers recently and found this to be true in speakers costing 4-5xs as much as the ns777. An example would be the $4k Monitor audio GS60's that I listened to while the speaker was much clearer and had a better midrange and bottom end the sound stage basically ended about a foot from where the speakers were sitting. So try spreading your speaker apart and toeing them in some.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.-Adam Savage (Mythbusters)

Cleaning a gun is like wiping your ass you just do it untill it is clean.
bottlemech is offline  
post #5 of 33 Old 09-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Senior Member
 
nutsnbolts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wish the 777's were available in Canada. Good prices from the U.S. but shipping is a killer
nutsnbolts is offline  
post #6 of 33 Old 10-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Newbie
 
Polar100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In Australia the ns777 cost $AU 1499, which is way above the american price of $us 300
so im thinking of geting them shiped from america which still is half the price
Polar100 is offline  
post #7 of 33 Old 02-16-2009, 12:55 AM
Newbie
 
astropolak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar100 View Post

In Australia the ns777 cost $AU 1499, which is way above the american price of $us 300
so im thinking of geting them shiped from america which still is half the price

Hi Polar100, try Eastwood HiFi, I've got the 5.1 pack including NS-777, NS-333, NS-444 and a great 10" yamaha subwoofer for $1900.00
I do also think that the speakers are great. Unfortunately they are too cheap and many of the HiFi shops will not have them in their showroom, if they did they will not sell any speakers in the $1500-$3000 price range as the Yamaha NS-777 are far superior. I noticed that someone mentioned poor sound stage with the Yamaha's, I would disagree - this is why I bought those speakers - they are simply stunning. Bass, they go right down to 40Hz. I trust Yamaha more than most companies when it comes to faithful sound reproduction.
astropolak is offline  
post #8 of 33 Old 02-16-2009, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
mconno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My first foray in to Yamaha speakers is an NS 225 center channel for a small den system. While initially detailed and sparkling, I now find it grating and unnerving and very beamy. Dispersion does improve by setting if vertically, but that's not why I bought it. Small midranges don't work...in this compromise speaker. It will do time as a sat. with another old cc I'm dissatisfied with.
mconno is offline  
post #9 of 33 Old 02-16-2009, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mudslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
We ran the NS-333's against 8 other pairs of loudspeakers in a budget bookshelf speaker shootout. They comported themselves very well. As has been stated, they're not the best speaker out there, but they surely hold their own against similarly priced competition. In my mind where they had the BIG advantage over all the others was not so much in the auditory presentation...but the visual. The finish is impeccable.

If I ever put up a small room surround system, say in our bedroom, this would definitely be my speaker of choice. They keep up with the audio side, have a very small footprint, and are quite attractive. Nice package at a nice price.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
Mudslide is offline  
post #10 of 33 Old 02-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Newbie
 
VERTIGGO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love these my 777s, but right now I can't use them to their full potential. I still have some old C325s as center/surround and a YST-215 (soon to change) at the low end. I can't wait until they are my weakest link... but that may never happen.

Is it worth getting the NS-C444 for the center? I'm considering another main for the center or at least something that will reach 60Hz easily so that sweeps are seamless from left to right. Is the 444 enough?
VERTIGGO is offline  
post #11 of 33 Old 02-27-2009, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
corejonp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Upstate, Ny
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, I guess I should chime in since I started this thread a year and a half ago. I'm now 23, and my tastes have changed slightly in the audio world. I still have the exact same set up, and they still sound as good as they did when I got them home. They have held up perfectly, and I still recommend them as entry-level speakers. I have noticed the harshness at high volumes (reference) - if you've ever played the scene from sunshine where they are outside repairing the heat shield...you'll know what I'm talking about. They are really well made speakers, and as stated the piano finish is amazing. Still for the price they are tough to beat.

.."wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?"
corejonp1 is offline  
post #12 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Newbie
 
roger555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys I have the chance to get a set of used perfect condition 777 for 250$ and im trying to figure out if its worth it. I currently have JBL E100 fronts with matched JBL centers and rears. If I got the Yammies I would eventually switch everything over but my question in is it worth it?? I just love how the yammies look with the black finish!! anyone have any opinions on the 777's vs the JBL E100 performance wise??
roger555 is offline  
post #13 of 33 Old 09-09-2010, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
homank76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Korea, USAF
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Let's bring this to the top.

I own the NS-700 series and like them. Anyone else have any input?

Panasonic TC-P58S2, Onkyo TX-NR1007, Onkyo DV-SP1000, Onkyo DV-HD805, Onkyo BD-SP807, Onkyo DX-V801, Onkyo UP-A1, Onkyo TA-RW411, Onkyo EQ-201, Yamaha Speakers NS700/750 Series, Blue Jean Cables
homank76 is offline  
post #14 of 33 Old 12-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Member
 
bbrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going to put in my 2 cents despite the old thread. Yamaha deserves more attention. As a long-time owner (I still have my NS-1000 I bought in the 70's), they never fail to please. I have some cheap NS-300 which are amazing. My most recent purchase for 50% HT and 50% music were NS-6HX. They've been out of production for a while but picked up a pair new in box for about 700 bucks. I just finished listening to Alan Parson's "A Valid Path" on 5.1 DTS. Cranked them up a fair bit (wife out spending my dough therefore unable to complain). My stupid Jamo D-7 subwoofer amp is blown, and the lack of sub-woofer was completely unnoticed thanks to these fantastic speakers. It is astonishing how one 5 1/2" driver can produce such nice bass (yet people complain about Yamaha lack of bass). I've come to the conclusion that, for music, unless I am listening at quite low levels I'm not even going to bother to turn the sub on. (Of course for a wild action film the sub will come in handy assuming I can get the SOB fixed).

I don't even like to say "bang-for-buck" because they get lumped into that sort of cheap category....Well I can't really afford better, so I'll look for bang for buck. I'll bet a lot of people would pick them in blind listening tests against much more expensive stuff (that's how I stumbled across the NS-1000's). As with my older Yammies, they really shine with the volume cranked up a bit. Maybe I should say they ONLY shine at higher levels because that's what it comes down to. With the volume down at quiet levels, they probably sound like many other speakers.

Might order a pair of NS-777 for another listening area. I am really keen to try them.
bbrio is offline  
post #15 of 33 Old 12-22-2011, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
TuenMuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrio View Post

Yamaha deserves more attention.

It seems that most AVS forum members really hate Yamaha speakers.

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/KDL46V5100
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F

BD - 242
HD - 7
TuenMuner is offline  
post #16 of 33 Old 01-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Newbie
 
wolf714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Triple sevens here and no complaints. Very hard to find equally good speakers for double of triple the money.
wolf714 is offline  
post #17 of 33 Old 12-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Newbie
 
infuriatedrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I most definitely should chime in here. I have a pair of NS-333's for my front mains and the NS-C310BL for my center channel. I will just include the reviews that I put on Amazon as I still feel the same about them. As mentioned before, I can't imagine finding any better speakers for the price. I am very happy with them.

NS-C310BL Center Channel:
I bought this center channel speaker about a month ago after reading some information on TopTenReviews.com. They had listed this as the #1 center channel speaker to buy for 2012. I had an extremely difficult time choosing between this, the Yamaha NS-444, or the Polk C20. Obviously, I ended up going with this one, and for a couple of reasons:
1)As the site mentions, this speaker has a great frequency range, more impressively on the high end. As it says, lower frequency sounds should be covered by a subwoofer anyway, which I found to make sense and
2) this speaker is big, but the height was perfect for me. I prefer to have my center channel on my entertainment center in front of my HDTV. Therefore, I have only about 6.5 inches to work with, otherwise the speaker would block the screen. I really didn't want to have to mount a speaker to the ceiling, wall behind the TV, etc.

I also thought that having 4 small woofers, along with the tweeter in the center, all together would create a very rich and dynamic sound. After receiving and hooking it up, I must say it really does. I have a hearing deficit, thus I've always had a very difficult time hearing dialogue in movies. I would end up cranking the volume and cranking the level going to the center channel, which I felt I shouldn't have to do, just to hear what people were saying. After hooking this up, wow... I ended up turning the center channel level down to half of what I had it at, and really I still find it quite loud, sometimes TOO loud, at times. ( I think it is just the receiver that I have, Yamaha RX-V371, that I have to turn the center channel level up. I have heard of others with this issue ).

I went to my usual movies to test this bad boy out. First was Saving Private Ryan. Instantly, I noticed a huge difference. There were bullets, voices, sounds, etc there that I never heard before from my previous center channel. I never really noticed how important and how large of a percentage of the soundtrack comes from the center channel until plugging this in. Next up, The Dark Knight. Same as before, there was dialogue and sound effects there that I never had noticed before.

My only complaint is: it seems that I have to sit directly in front of this speaker to really benefit from the sounds. If I sit off to the side of it, there is a noticeable sound difference (and perhaps this is the case with most/all center channel speakers). Not a big deal, but can be inconvenient at times, like if I want to lay down while watching something.

I will say, I often keep looking at the NS-444 because it has 2 much larger woofers and can cover deeper frequencies. As said before, I know my subwoofer should hit those lower notes, but it does make me wonder how much and if better movies would sound going with a much larger center with larger woofers. I may in the future try to test this out, but for now I am happy enough with my purchase and would happily recommend it to anyone


NS-333 Bookshelf Speakers:
I must say, when I bought these I wasn't expecting a whole lot. First, I didn't expect them to be much bigger than the bookshelf speakers I already had (I bought the Yamaha RX-371 that came with 5 speakers and subwoofer, which for starting out were great) Holy crap, these things are bahemoths compared to those. The woofer on this is basically as large as my old speaker itself. So after that, I was REALLY excited to hook these up as my front 2 channel speakers and test them out (I also have the Yamaha NS-C310 for the center channel, which is awesome btw). I was blown away. I tested the sound out with Saving Private Ryan first. Bullets were zinging by much louder than I've ever heard. Next up was The Dark Knight. I tested the first scene with the bank robbery. The glass shattering sound was amazing. The tweeters on this thing hit those high frequencies with no problems. My wife actually cringer because it was so loud. Then of course the scene with the joker trying to blow up the SWAT truck and Batman coming to the rescue. Good lord the detail was amazing! I had to watch the entire scene because it just sounded so much more incredibl than I was used to. Then finally, I tested music. Dubstep, hip hop, and metal. They sounded phenomonal! I tried listening with and without my subwoofer on. There is some decent bass production, but I would highly recommend that you use a subwoofer with these speakers (but that should be obvious, these aren't floor standing towers with large woofers)

Overall, for only having these for a day, I am very very happy with these speakers, and I am sure they will get better as they break in. They will be more than adequate as my front channels until I can afford the NS-777's, then I will move these bad boys to the rear for the surround speakers. If you are wanting to build a home theater system, or even just a stereo for music, Yamaha makes outstanding products for exceptional prices. I wouldn't hesitate at all recommending these, or any of their other products, to anyone!


I do have a question, and hope someone can help me with this (but from the looks of it, it will be 6 months before there's a response lol). I have really really been considering the NS-777's to replace the 333's for the fronts and moving the 333's to the rear surrounds. But really, other than just having more low-end sound, aren't they essentially the same thing? I mean it seems to me I would be fine just using 2 pairs of 333's with a good subwoofer to cover the bass.

Also, has anyone tested the NS-C310BL vs the NS-444? If so, is there a big difference? Thanks for reading!
infuriatedrain is offline  
post #18 of 33 Old 12-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
jtenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by infuriatedrain View Post

I do have a question, and hope someone can help me with this (but from the looks of it, it will be 6 months before there's a response lol). I have really really been considering the NS-777's to replace the 333's for the fronts and moving the 333's to the rear surrounds. But really, other than just having more low-end sound, aren't they essentially the same thing? I mean it seems to me I would be fine just using 2 pairs of 333's with a good subwoofer to cover the bass.
Also, has anyone tested the NS-C310BL vs the NS-444? If so, is there a big difference? Thanks for reading!
I have the 555's for my main fronts with the 333's being used for my 4 surrounds(7.1 setup). One day I was curious to see if I would notice much of a difference using the 333's for my fronts. Well the difference was huge. The 555's had a much fuller and more detailed sound to them. I would attribute that to the larger woofers and the fact they have a midrange driver as well. I would like to see what the 777's are like compared to the 555's.

jtenn is offline  
post #19 of 33 Old 02-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
jtenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So to those of you that have the NS-555's or 777's what did you compare them to before buying them?

jtenn is offline  
post #20 of 33 Old 07-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Member
 
audioAVfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
jtenn . . . good question, what have I compared with the (my) 777's . . . I compared JBL, Polk, klipsch, and ProCinema speakers that had similar specs and suggested manufacture's price tags. However, I did NOT purchase my triple seven's at the suggested manufacture's price tag; they (the 777's), as all speakers from any brand, are available for much less with a bit of online shopping.

My Findings
Overall the triple seven's were the best selection for my needs, which are 65% HT and 35% music.

What I Discovered About the Lower End Sound of the 777's
Many people complain that these speakers don't do bass to well . . . to be honest, this simply isn't the case with these speakers. They can actually go down to 30 hz without any problems (I know 30 hz is not supper low, don't stress, I'll get to that). Let me tell you how I know this to be true . . . I tested them!

I did a base test from 10 to 150 . . . I actually sensed the base at about 30 hz and heard the bass at about 33, which means they perform exactly as the specs claim. I know that 30 hz is not drop dead super bass, but for a mid-range tower speaker, that's quite reasonable. And in my humble opinion, any sound set up, be it stereo, 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, or 11.1 should include a good subwoofer. So, anything lacking below the 30 hz is a non-issue with these speakers if a sub is part of the set up. However . . .

All that said, for music stereo, or HT set-ups, 30 hz is very reasonable for a tower speaker, more than enough to hear the details of a bass guitar, bullets, explosions, etc., found on vinyl, CD, DVD's, or Blu-ray disc. Couple that with the fact that the human ear can only typically hear no lower than 20 hz, the reality is that most people can only really hear around 25 hz, and possible sense (feel) between 20 and 25 hz. Very few people can actually sense or hear anything below 20 hz. And if you're the type of person that wants minus 20 hz rattling in the house on a regular basis, you probably already own two or more subwoofers anyway! So, the 30 hz cap on the low end of this tower triple seven unit is more than able to compete with other brands with similar specs.

I will add, there a a few other brands of similar size that can go lower than the triple sevens 30 hz cap, but is it necessary? Based on what is typical for the human ear to hear, I'd say not to most people. But of course, this depends on your ears. but for most humans, unless they are super audiophiles with a trained ear, 30 hz for music or movie watching is better then just sufficient, it's quite satisfactory. I'd even go as far to say that lower end bass, 20 hz or less, can be just as tiring to the ear as higher end sounds.

Upper End Sound
As to the high frequency response of the 777's, it's quite high, 35 kHz to be exact. Many reviewer of this tower unit have complained that it's too much . . . and it tires the ears. Again, I simple disagree. If you have an AV unit worth it's reputation (I hope you have a quality AV unit, or a quality amplifier, if not your speakers will not perform well, not matter who makes them or how much they cost, but that's another topic for another thread), then adjusting the upper end is just that, using the AV unit as the tool to adjust the upper end sound to a comfortable level. Especially since the mid range abilities of the triple seven's are outstanding. So, if you adjust your AV unit so that the triple seven's high end doesn't tire your ear, then you will completely love the upper spectrum of sound this tower can produce. Close your eyes, and violins will sound like they are being played in the room, not over speakers. Also, I have a music background of sorts . . . so I listen to everything, rock, jazz, hip-hop, disco (yes, disco), R&B, techno, etc., so my comments about the high end (and lower bass end, too) hold firm for any genre of music. FYI . . . Barry White and The Love Unlimited Orchestra sound amazing on the 777's with, or without, a sub (but better with a sub, of course)!

As to comparing these findings with other tower units of similar specs and size, I'd say the 777's held their own quite well. So much so, that I decided to purchase them over some of the more "preferred" tower brands of similar size. Will I admit there are a couple brands out there of the same size and build that sounded better, yes, of course I will. But not SO much better that I think the price for those speakers are worth the expense for a mid-range, middle class home, in the USA.

I do not stand alone in my opinion of the Yamaha triple seven's. They have been reviewed and tested with good results on a few reputable sites. For instance, they are rated as the third best tower speaker on the Top Ten Review (see here: http://floor-standing-speakers.toptenreviews.com/yamaha-ns-777-review.html).

Lastly, like I have already stated, the Yamaha NS-777's are not the absolute best, but for third place in a mid-range market, for the typical human ear, this speaker will more than meet most peoples expectations, without much, if any, compromise in your audio experience. And I don't work for Yamaha, either.

Check this out, The Yamaha 777 in the Top Ten Review:
http://floor-standing-speakers.toptenreviews.com/yamaha-ns-777-review.html
audioAVfan is offline  
post #21 of 33 Old 11-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Newbie
 
jasonr93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am trying to decide on the yamaha ns 777's or the bic pl-89 tower speakers. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this and what they feel is best for price and performance. I can get a pair of bic's for $200 dollars less than a pair of the yamahas. Any advice or other comments are welcome.

 

Thanks!

jasonr93 is offline  
post #22 of 33 Old 11-18-2013, 06:27 AM
Member
 
audioAVfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you have a good subwoofer then the 777 are a great purchase. But the bic's at 200 dollars less than the 777's are a good purchase, too. There are similar products. Sound wise, getting a full range sound is super difficult in any tower speaker. That's why speaker makers sacrific sometimes on the lower end, you need a dedicated subwoofer for the best sound field. So, if you have a good sub, the 777's will rock. But the Vic has a slightly better lower end ability, but not by much. The 777's low end is 30 hz. I think the Vic is 23 hz. To the human ear that's not much of a difference. Especially if you have a sub which is going to handle all your sound below 80 hz anyway! But both are good products. I will say, however, Yamaha has been in the sound business a long time. They have been making speakers for studio (music) purposes for many many years. I'd give that some serious consideration.
jasonr93 likes this.
audioAVfan is offline  
post #23 of 33 Old 11-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Newbie
 
jasonr93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAVfan View Post

If you have a good subwoofer then the 777 are a great purchase. But the bic's at 200 dollars less than the 777's are a good purchase, too. There are similar products. Sound wise, getting a full range sound is super difficult in any tower speaker. That's why speaker makers sacrific sometimes on the lower end, you need a dedicated subwoofer for the best sound field. So, if you have a good sub, the 777's will rock. But the Vic has a slightly better lower end ability, but not by much. The 777's low end is 30 hz. I think the Vic is 23 hz. To the human ear that's not much of a difference. Especially if you have a sub which is going to handle all your sound below 80 hz anyway! But both are good products. I will say, however, Yamaha has been in the sound business a long time. They have been making speakers for studio (music) purposes for many many years. I'd give that some serious consideration.

Thanks audioAVfan for your advice! I have heard that the bass isn't as good in the yamahas, but as you said the sub would make up for it. However for the bics, i have heard they're lacking in mid bass. Just curious on everyone's thoughts on this as well as comparing the two if anyone else wants to chime in.

 

Thanks!

jasonr93 is offline  
post #24 of 33 Old 11-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Member
 
audioAVfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The 777's do quite well in mid bass! And 30 hz or below is already low bass. The 777 go to 30 by spec. But I've actually tested and get 27 hz. So, the bic specs are not really that much different than the 777's. If you have a subwoofer your concern on low end is mute regardless of which speaker you purchase. And 30 hz is respectable unless you want the house to come off its foundation. Even so, you need a good sub for that anyway! But mid bass on 777's are fine. Better than fine. Bic or 777's, really close. My vote is 777, but I wouldn't turn down the bic if the price was right.
jasonr93 likes this.
audioAVfan is offline  
post #25 of 33 Old 11-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Newbie
 
jasonr93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAVfan View Post

The 777's do quite well in mid bass! And 30 hz or below is already low bass. The 777 go to 30 by spec. But I've actually tested and get 27 hz. So, the bic specs are not really that much different than the 777's. If you have a subwoofer your concern on low end is mute regardless of which speaker you purchase. And 30 hz is respectable unless you want the house to come off its foundation. Even so, you need a good sub for that anyway! But mid bass on 777's are fine. Better than fine. Bic or 777's, really close. My vote is 777, but I wouldn't turn down the bic if the price was right.


Thanks again audioAVfan, you have been very helpful with your advice and answering my questions. Have you tested the bics to see if the frequency specs are accurate? A pair of bics i can get for four hundred and sixty nine, the yamahas the cheapest i've found was six hundred and eighty two. I'm just wondering if the extra few hundred is worth it for the yamahas, i know they have a nice finish and according to you, their specs are right. If the bics are missing mid bass and the frequency specs are exaggerated then i will definitely be getting the yamahas. All questions, comments and advice are welcome because i'd like to know as much as possible before purchasing. If i could personally test the bics and yamahas both and pick the winner i would, but i would have to pay for shipping back the losing pair of floorstanders.

 

Thanks,

Jason R.

jasonr93 is offline  
post #26 of 33 Old 11-19-2013, 07:10 AM
Member
 
audioAVfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Jansonr93, Check out this link,
http://floor-standing-speakers.toptenreviews.com/yamaha-ns-777-review.html

You will see that the BIC and 777 run neck and neck. You will note, although the BIC has the wider frequency response, that the 777 actually has the best frequency sound response especially in the mid tones. That's because the 777 has dedicated drivers to the high, mid, and bass sounds. And if you read both reviews carefully, you'll see that it clearly says that the bass in the bic and 777 should be handled with a quality sub woofer. More importantly, the reviewers and testers of both the speakers note that the bic sacrifices mid tones because it does not have dedicated drivers for each type of frequency, hi, mid, and bass. However, the 777s have dedicated drivers to each frequency. Overall that makes for a better sound.

Although in this review the bic is rated number two and the 777s are rated number three, read the reviews and look at the driver specs. You'll see that the actual performance of the drivers in the 777's in and of themselves are much better than the BIC. And that makes all the difference in the world!

Bottom line, although the BIC in terms of raw stats have a slightly greater range in frequent response compared to the 777s, the 777s actually have a better performing range of high, med, bass, frequency response because they have dedicated drivers for each, the bic's do not! It even says so in these reviews, and they have tested both of the speakers at great lengths.

Lastly, bang for your buck. The 777s are a bit more inexpensive with a better mid tone quality. On the bass end, the bic's are 25, the 777's are 30. To be honest, that's not a huge difference. Especially if you're going to have a subwoofer. It seems the better value is the 777s. This speaker has great highs, wonderful midtone, and reasonable low-end. You won't be disappointed if you have a sub woofer.

Better value, bang for your buck, in terms of sound and cost, in my opinion is the 777.
jasonr93 likes this.
audioAVfan is offline  
post #27 of 33 Old 11-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Member
 
audioAVfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Jason r

777's Only $275 here:
http://www.newaudiounited.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=76

But don't know if there is a ship fee.
audioAVfan is offline  
post #28 of 33 Old 11-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Newbie
 
jasonr93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAVfan View Post

Jason r

777's Only $275 here:
http://www.newaudiounited.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=76

But don't know if there is a ship fee.

I checked the site and it's $77 for shipping, also if it comes damaged or defective you have to pay to ship it back. But thanks for trying to help, I appreciate it.

jasonr93 is offline  
post #29 of 33 Old 11-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Newbie
 
jasonr93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAVfan View Post

Jansonr93, Check out this link,
http://floor-standing-speakers.toptenreviews.com/yamaha-ns-777-review.html

You will see that the BIC and 777 run neck and neck. You will note, although the BIC has the wider frequency response, that the 777 actually has the best frequency sound response especially in the mid tones. That's because the 777 has dedicated drivers to the high, mid, and bass sounds. And if you read both reviews carefully, you'll see that it clearly says that the bass in the bic and 777 should be handled with a quality sub woofer. More importantly, the reviewers and testers of both the speakers note that the bic sacrifices mid tones because it does not have dedicated drivers for each type of frequency, hi, mid, and bass. However, the 777s have dedicated drivers to each frequency. Overall that makes for a better sound.

Although in this review the bic is rated number two and the 777s are rated number three, read the reviews and look at the driver specs. You'll see that the actual performance of the drivers in the 777's in and of themselves are much better than the BIC. And that makes all the difference in the world!

Bottom line, although the BIC in terms of raw stats have a slightly greater range in frequent response compared to the 777s, the 777s actually have a better performing range of high, med, bass, frequency response because they have dedicated drivers for each, the bic's do not! It even says so in these reviews, and they have tested both of the speakers at great lengths.

Lastly, bang for your buck. The 777s are a bit more inexpensive with a better mid tone quality. On the bass end, the bic's are 25, the 777's are 30. To be honest, that's not a huge difference. Especially if you're going to have a subwoofer. It seems the better value is the 777s. This speaker has great highs, wonderful midtone, and reasonable low-end. You won't be disappointed if you have a sub woofer.

Better value, bang for your buck, in terms of sound and cost, in my opinion is the 777.


Yeah that's what i was guessing, if the yamahas only suffer on lower frequencies my sub will be picking that up anyway. Since the bic's are suffering mid frequency, if its a higher frequency then my sub can hit than there is nothing i can do about that. So i would really like to get the yamahas, only thing is that they're three hundred and forty one dollars each on Amazon. The bics i can get from an authorized dealer for four hundred and seventy for the PAIR, so thats why i was very curious to see if anyone had any input on these speakers. I would like to get the Yamahas from Amazon cause they're reliable, and if anything comes damaged or defective its free shipping back to them, which all companies should cover in my opinion. I'd like to ask you where did you buy yours? Also i've had people tell me not to rely too much on top ten reviews, as it doesn't state anywhere that they actually test the speaker themselves or evaluate them. I emailed them the other day about this to see what they'd say, and haven't gotten a response. But anyways i appreciate your advice and comments on this, as no one else has commented in on this so you're the only help i've really had.

 

Thanks,

Jason R.

jasonr93 is offline  
post #30 of 33 Old 11-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I wouldn't believe those specs on the Bics anyway. The Yamaha also have better build quality. I would rather have the Yamaha speakers if it were me. Lots of good speakers out there to choose from.
Gmash is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off