Wilson Audio Specialties Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 83 Old 07-19-2007, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I couldn't resist. Us Wilson owners do love our speakers, despite all of the venomous ranting they elicit from people who don't own any, have never listened to them, or just don't like their sound.

So, I made this thread for people who own Wilson speakers or who are interested in them. Please refrain from egregious comments if you don't own any Wilson speakers. This isn't a post for "trolling" Wilson speakers. It is a post for communication among the Wilson community at AVSForum, and other people who have an interest in the current Wilson products and any new products that may be in the works.

Keep in mind, you might not like Wilson Audio Specialties or its speakers, but we do! In fact, we love them and how they sound, that is why we bought them....

I promise, we won't go "trolling" on threads about your speakers, so please don't come and "troll" here. If we liked your speakers more when we heard them at some point (as we likely did...), we would have bought them instead of Wilsons.

Thanks, and welcome to the thread!

- Jeff

"It is worse still to be ignorant of your ignorance."
-- Saint Jerome (374 AD - 419 AD)

My Home Theatre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 07-20-2007, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would like to put to bed a myth that has been spread around about Wilson WPs in general. The myth that Wilsons have a small sweetspot. The truth is they can have as large as a sweetspot as other speakers,the issue is most if not all dealers set them up for one person. They can be setup to include everyone sitting on the sofa to have a wide beautiful soundstage.

I find the WP8s to have an honest presentation. If you like warm tubey sound,the WP8 will give you that from tubes,if you want a more detail like presentation the WP8 will give you that from your SS amps. The sonics are first rate and so is the fit and finish. They played R&B and Neosoul i.e. Earth Wind and Fire, KEM (music which I think are a bigger test for speakers because of the dynamics of instruments,soulful voice and timing.......we call 'soul music' for a reason) brilliantly and through a BIG soundstage.

If you are in the Austin,Tx. area go to Ne Plus Ultra audio store. Casey,the owner has a beautiful set of WP8s in an awesome and smooth dark burgundy finish. They look beautiful and sound sweet.
post #3 of 83 Old 07-20-2007, 06:48 AM

My question would be what cables are the Wilson owners out there using in their setups? I heard the WP8s on Transparents,does anyone use Shunyata cables and ICs?
post #4 of 83 Old 07-20-2007, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgerman View Post

My question would be what cables are the Wilson owners out there using in their setups? I heard the WP8s on Transparents,does anyone use Shunyata cables and ICs?

I haven't heard differences between cables so far, so I am using bettercables.com cables. I tried $5000 dollars worth of Nordost cables and they sounded the same to me as $500 dollars worth of cables. So my philosophy is, if you don't hear any difference, why pay the money....

My Home Theatre
post #5 of 83 Old 07-20-2007, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I don't own Wilsons but I think this thread would have been better served on the 20K forum.

IGNORANCE IS A BLISS
post #6 of 83 Old 07-20-2007, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarman View Post

I don't own Wilsons but I think this thread would have been better served on the 20K forum.

I chose this forum for two reasons. One, two of the five current models (Sophia 2 and Duette) are below $20k (five out of eight if you include the Watch products). Two, speaker owner threads are all located in this area so far at this point, so new people to this forum will most likely look for information on speaker companies in general in this area. Thanks for your concern though.

- Jeff

My Home Theatre
post #7 of 83 Old 07-31-2007, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got my Sophia 2 surround speakers. After setting evertying up, I'm completely blown away by the surround field emitted by the W/P 8 and Sophia 2 combination. I'm considering getting a third W/P 8 for a center channel now.

My Home Theatre
post #8 of 83 Old 07-31-2007, 05:09 PM

Liked: 22
Can you buy just one WP8 to use as center channel? If so, that would be ideal for those who have a front projector. Couldn't agree more with you on cables.
post #9 of 83 Old 07-31-2007, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdv5 View Post

Can you buy just one WP8 to use as center channel? If so, that would be ideal for those who have a front projector. Couldn't agree more with you on cables.

I'm pursuing info from my dealer, who will consult with Wilson and Stewartscreen on my behalf on the merits and negatives of this approach in my room.

My Stewartscreen originally arrived damaged, and through their excellent support department at Stewartscreen I worked out a return. I might change a few things while it is there to be repaired, such as transparent screen (if I decide to get a third W/P8), less extra screen so a center speaker fits better underneath (if I don't get a third W/P 8), and possibly a different screen material (I have the G3 now, and might do the SST instead - I'm getting iridescent spotting on really bright parts of movie scenes occasionally due to the screen material, and it is sometimes distracting). I had talked to them and they would have to redo the screen anyway to fix the damages, so I might as well have it redone perfectly to the specs of my system.

I'm really torn on the center speaker issue though. On the one hand, another W/P 8 might be the absolute best sonic match, and it would eliminate the specific frequency band timbre aberrations that occur at certain frequency ranges when you only use a phantom center channel (due to comb filtering). I was planning on possibly not using the Wilson Watch center for surround music playback in order to eliminate speaker mismatch and planned on using the phantom center instead when listening alone (I would use the Watch center for movies and when guests come over, etc, as critical listening will not be an issue in those situations).

On the other hand, because of my room setup, the W/P8 would be pretty far out into the room from all the walls and might not sound as good acoustically as their center channel would in that type of situation. The W/P 8 is made to have some boundary interaction to function at its best I think. So it might actually be better to use their center instead of another W/P 8.... The other issue is how much light and picture quality I might lose when switching to an acoustically transparent screen vs. one that isn't transparent.

Those are the issues I am weighing, with the help of my dealer, Wilson Audio and Stewartscreen ATM.

My Home Theatre
post #10 of 83 Old 07-31-2007, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

your dealer wouldnt happen to be able to loan you a WP8 to try as center would he?
post #11 of 83 Old 07-31-2007, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

your dealer wouldnt happen to be able to loan you a WP8 to try as center would he?

I don't know, the thought didn't really occur ot me as a possibility for the following reason. He isn't in close proximity to me, so it would be very costly shipping wise ($1000 round trip for me). That is why he is talking with Wilson Audio about it. He was more comfortable saying that he thinks I would be better off with just the Wilson Watch center because of how far out in the room it would be.

I already have the Watch center on order, but the thought occurred to me yesterday evening, that since I am sending the screen back anyway, why don't I look into the possibility of doing a W/P 8 center, because the best sound quality is of ultimate concern to me. My dealer is a friend I had made through another mutual friend (a fellow Deadhead), so I'm secure in any advice he offers on it. I'm sure he would be willing to send a W/P8 out to me, but I don't want to waste $1000 or more if it isn't absolutely necessary. So pursing advice on all fronts is my first step.

As you can see, this does complicate things, as I can't just go out and find a demo room with three W/P8s in the front either, unless it shares the same characteristics as my room, because any listening info obtained wouldn't really be relevant to my exact situation if the rooms weren't similar (at least in the front of the room).

My Home Theatre
post #12 of 83 Old 07-31-2007, 08:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 271
IIRC, from another thread, you were planning on placing the CC on, or close to, the floor. If that's the case, another WP/8 would/should be clearly superior to a CC so placed. Even if the CC "sounded" OK placed on the floor, (flat FR, etc.), it would "image" dialogue badly from the low, floor location. Voices would sound as though they were originating from well below the screen, and audibly disconnect from the visual image. Also, "pans" would be significantly impacted. The "same-height" location of an additional WP/8 will eliminate this issue.

If you can't find a Stewart product that meets your AT needs, the Screen Research products are highly recommended, (and ISF and THX approved). The SR screens do not exhibit moire or "iridescent spotting". Also, for an HT of this caliber, a 2.35:1 CIH screen with masking would be ideal. You may already be planning this, but if you're not, I sugeest you consider it.

Just my $0.02, (in a thread I don't belong in).

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #13 of 83 Old 07-31-2007, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

IIRC, from another thread, you were planning on placing the CC on, or close to, the floor. If that's the case, another WP/8 would/should be clearly superior to a CC so placed. Even if the CC "sounded" OK placed on the floor, (flat FR, etc.), it would "image" dialogue badly from the low, floor location. Voices would sound as though they were originating from well below the screen, and audibly disconnect from the visual image. Also, "pans" would be significantly impacted. The "same-height" location of an additional WP/8 will eliminate this issue.

If you can't find a Stewart product that meets your AT needs, the Screen Research products are highly recommended, (and ISF and THX approved). The SR screens do not exhibit moire or "iridescent spotting". Also, for an HT of this caliber, a 2.35:1 CIH screen with masking would be ideal. You may already be planning this, but if you're not, I sugeest you consider it.

Just my $0.02, (in a thread I don't belong in).

Craig

Since I will now be able to change the level of my screen to a different height, I no longer have to place the center speaker on the floor. I can now use a stand.

In any case, I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Wilson Watch Center and the variable tweeter alignment, but it can be placed on the floor to good effect. Perhaps not the best positioning, but it will still work well and image at a chosen height as long as the tweeter is aligned correctly for the appropriate effect needed. If you haven't actually used the Wilson Watch center channel speaker from the floor position and if you aren't a Wilson dealer with professional Wilson Audio training in using as well as setting up one of these Watch Center speakers, I can see why you might not believe it will work well on the floor (even though I supplied you with this review link concerning this type of Watch Center setup previously)... However, if this is the case, I don't understand why you would make generalized statements about a speaker you have no experience or training with, especially since these particular speakers are designed to work well near room boundaries.

Actually, I do think I know why, you likely want to argue about it again, despite the fact that we don't agree completely on this issue. So to say it in as nice a way as possible, please take it to another thread, because we have already been over this issue on a dedicated thread about this topic. If you like, feel free to message me in private instead of taking this thread off topic. I won't be responding any further to this particular off-thread topic if you push me on this, so my silence concerning this particular topic from now on does not mean I agree with your points, but that I am choosing not to indulge any impoliteness and impropriety on your part.

If Stewartscreen uses "screen research products," I'll check them out. If not, then I don't really have a choice as I don't plan on spending an additional $3K, or anything additional actually, for another recessed electrical projection screen and box from another company. Thanks though.

My Home Theatre
post #14 of 83 Old 08-01-2007, 05:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 271
From the article you linked to:
Quote:

I didn't opt for the stand. However, I could see that, with the stand's extra height, if your screen would allow it, the additional advantage of lifting the WATCH's tweeter much higher than it would be on the floor. This is desirable as it enables you to create a more seamless soundstage across the front of your imaging.

Now I'm done too. Enjoy your Wilson's.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #15 of 83 Old 08-01-2007, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Don't worry Craig, because Queue believes in imagination over knowledge, he's fully capable of enjoying his system

John
post #16 of 83 Old 08-01-2007, 06:01 AM

My local shop (audio alternative in fort collins) just started carrying Wilson's. He invited me over to take a listen, but I turned him down. I really don't want to "need" something else that's out of my price range!!! Congrats to all of you who own them!

Lurker extraordinare!

-Jared
post #17 of 83 Old 08-01-2007, 06:21 AM

I just got back from Ft. Lauderdale,FL. Do people need as many Bentley GTs and Porsches I saw?.......HECK YA.........if you can afford it..........GO FOR IT!

Enjoy your WP8s QueueCumber, I am envious.
post #18 of 83 Old 08-01-2007, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImkSpyPlns View Post

My local shop (audio alternative in fort collins) just started carrying Wilson's. He invited me over to take a listen, but I turned him down. I really don't want to "need" something else that's out of my price range!!! Congrats to all of you who own them!

You really should take some of your favorite music down to your local shop and give them a listen...........at least it will dispel some of the myths about Wilsons.
post #19 of 83 Old 08-01-2007, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

Don't worry Craig, because Queue believes in imagination over knowledge, he's fully capable of enjoying his system

That means a lot coming from someone who has admitted to having never even heard a Wilson speaker. Why did you feel you needed to post here? To troll another thread about speakers you don't own, have never listened to, and are prejudiced against, like you did initially in the B&W Owner's thread before your posts were erased? To attack me personally?

Have I ever posted in your "beloved" NHT thread? Nope. I have better manners than you.

Do everyone a favor, including yourself, take your personal attacks against me and limit them to PMs.

My Home Theatre
post #20 of 83 Old 08-01-2007, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

From the article you linked to:

Now I'm done too. Enjoy your Wilson's.

Craig

From my post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post

Perhaps not the best positioning, but it will still work well and image at a chosen height as long as the tweeter is aligned correctly for the appropriate effect needed.

Also, from the article:

Quote:

In a perfect world, you would be able to place your WATCH center speaker perfectly aligned between your two Wilson front loudspeakers. In the real world, this isn't always the case. This is why Wilson designed the WATCH center speaker so that its PDC (Phase Delay Correction) technology is similar to what you'd find on the Grand SLAMM loudspeakers. The PDC technology allows you, with exacting accuracy, to position the tweeter in perfect alignment with the front edge of your front speakers.

The majority of WATCH center speakers will be placed on the floor between the front speakers. The big question is, will you invest in the Wilson $1,390 color-matched, super-inert stand? It looks great and it bolts onto the WATCH perfectly, but it is still a $1,390 stand for one speaker - no small sum. The WATCH without the stand comes equipped with the Puppy Paw feet found on WATT Puppies, which allow for the WATCH to be properly angled upward and elevated from the floor.

According to my dealer, the PDC technology also allows you to alter the image height, compensating for floor placement as well. We have been through all this before though. I never said it was the best positioning. It is built to work well on the floor though.

My Home Theatre
post #21 of 83 Old 08-01-2007, 09:19 PM

I just took delivery of a new pair of Sophia 2s. Im in audio heaven even though my new amp is still a few months out (waiting on a naim supernait) and im using a cheap loaner.
post #22 of 83 Old 08-02-2007, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw31 View Post

I just took delivery of a new pair of Sophia 2s. Im in audio heaven even though my new amp is still a few months out (waiting on a naim supernait) and im using a cheap loaner.

Congrats!

My Home Theatre
post #23 of 83 Old 01-14-2009, 10:36 AM

'Considering the new Alexandria X-2 series 2. Are there any personal experiences of recent?

aehaas
post #24 of 83 Old 01-14-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aehaas View Post

'Considering the new Alexandria X-2 series 2. Are there any personal experiences of recent?

aehaas

Aehass, here is a thread from the 20K forum that you will certainly want to read. It sounds like the Series II is nothing short of amazing.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1079188
post #25 of 83 Old 01-14-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aehaas View Post

aehaas

I've auditioned these twice and I loved them both times, for a while they were my favorite speaker. Absolutely amazing soundstage, for once, I understood what 3D imaging was all about. The first track I ever heard on them was from the dealer's CD and it was a jazz band. I remember being able to precisely position each instrument, and the timbre was so accurate to me. Then the trombone soloist came on and it was literally as if he jumped through the soundstage and played right in my face, in front of the rest of the band. Absolutely incredible.

Funny thing, the second time I auditioned them, I also auditioned the MBL 101 Es, which the same dealer had in another room. I heard the MBLs before I heard the X-2s again. I'm sorry to say that now the 101 E is my favorite speaker. Completely different sound, the MBLs use omnidirectional drivers, and the sound is beyond description. I felt as if the MBLs threw up a truly holographic soundstage. There was no just one sweet spot. Music is radiating 360 degrees from the speakers and I could walk around the room and the imaging would still be tight. Beyond that, the tone of the sounds was incredible. Felt absolutely REAL as if the musicians and the instruments were in the room. I listened to Beck's "Sea Change", Miles Davis, and Pink Floyd and every CD sounded better on the MBLs.

To give you an example of the soundstaging, the dealer put on this old 60's live recording of a vocal group doing a show. The first singer came out stage right, followed by another vocalist just left of center, and then one-by-one the singers sang together. You can image that they were all standing in a line and I could precisely position each voice in the choral line. There were about ten singers total. With the X-2s, with this disc, when the first singer began, I could not position him at all. All I could hear was exactly where the right speaker stood. When the other singers came on, the imaging got better, but still nowhere near as precise and obvious as with the MBLs.

What struck me as different the second time hearing the X-2s was that hearing them the second time after the MBLs, was how forward the speaker is. There was a much less amount of space between the soundstage and the listener. Whereas the MBLs projected a soundstage that was a comfortable distance between us.

Besides the soundstage and the imaging, I much preferred the MBLs presentation of the music. These omnidirectional speakers are something to behold. They are absolutely unlike any other speaker I have ever listened to. Altogether a very different animal from the X-2s, and probably for listeners with different tastes. Still I absolutely loved the X-2s from the first time I heard them, I just love the MBLs even more.

The model I heard was the 101 E, which is about a third of the cost of the X-2s. With your budget, there is the 101 X, which is like a stacked version of the 101 E, except it also comes with a tower of woofers for each speaker, with 3 12" drivers each, I believe. I haven't heard though, but I imagine them to be magnificent as well.

If you love Wilsons, then absolutely the X-2 is for you. But just for fun, you should check out the MBLs as well. With that kind of budget, there is no reason why you shouldn't listen to more speakers, if only to confirm you made the right decision.
post #26 of 83 Old 02-22-2009, 07:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

I wonder how speakers like this would perform on movie soundtracks?
post #27 of 83 Old 02-22-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I think Wilson's perform great on home theater as they are very dynamic and have a wide soundstage
post #28 of 83 Old 02-22-2009, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I enjoyed mine while I had them Ian. They had their strengths and they had their weaknesses.

My Home Theatre
post #29 of 83 Old 02-22-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post

I enjoyed mine while I had them Ian. They had their strengths and they had their weaknesses.

Would love to hear your opinion of the weaknesses (or strengths for that matter) of Wilsons. I am desperate to try something new (currently not enjoying my Aerial 9s) and am about to get some Sophia 2s. I realize there is no perfect speaker and I don't expect the Wilsons to perform miracles. Still, always like to hear from people who have had experience.

Are you still happy with the Revels?
post #30 of 83 Old 02-22-2009, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie View Post

Would love to hear your opinion of the weaknesses (or strengths for that matter) of Wilsons. I am desperate to try something new (currently not enjoying my Aerial 9s) and am about to get some Sophia 2s. I realize there is no perfect speaker and I don't expect the Wilsons to perform miracles. Still, always like to hear from people who have had experience.

Are you still happy with the Revels?

I'm extremely happy with the Revels. I probably posted why I decided to stick with the Revels over the Wilsons in my HT thread somewhere. I don't have much time to write detailed posts, but I found I could get very close to the same sounds from the Revel with EQ, minus treble delay (ringing) from the Wilson's tweeter break-up mode.

My Home Theatre
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page