Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 106 Old 09-03-2009, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Congrats! Those are fantastic speakers. I owned a pair for a while, but I didn't have the room to position they far enough away from the walls, so I replaced them with the S4's. Don't worry about their resale value, the dealer has already taken most of that hit, besides, you just bought them and now is no time to worry about resale value. Those V1 S8's will beat out many of the current speakers on the market. I know because I've listened to just about all of them.

Enjoy!

HIFI, you stated you did not have enough room for the S8, could you please explain in more detail, I have chance to purchase a pair of the S8v2's, and my room is 13' by 20'
Thanks

JoReid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 106 Old 09-03-2009, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoReid View Post

HIFI, you stated you did not have enough room for the S8, could you please explain in more detail, I have chance to purchase a pair of the S8v2's, and my room is 13' by 20'
Thanks

Any speaker that is full range, like the S8's needs to be positioned "just so" in relation to the side and front walls. If you are limited in how much freedom you have to place your speakers, you may end up with uneven bass response (large dips, or worse, peaks) like I did. I had my right S8 speaker 2 feet from the side wall and 3 feet from the front wall, which resulted in a large peak in the upper bass that was very distracting. To be safe, I would think that you will need 3 to 4 feet to play with in any direction if you plan on going with a full range speaker. Otherwise, go with a standmount, or smaller tower and cross-over to a sub at 80Hz and EQ the subs response for the smoothest bass.
post #93 of 106 Old 09-04-2009, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Let the upgrading begin! http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/09/04...e-l/#continued

The Signature Series v.3 will be shown at CEDIA EXPO 2009 in Atlanta at the Paradigm booth 3325. All models will ship by CEDIA. Please visit www.paradigm.com for more details
post #94 of 106 Old 09-04-2009, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryeye View Post

Let the upgrading begin! http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/09/04...e-l/#continued

The Signature Series v.3 will be shown at CEDIA EXPO 2009 in Atlanta at the Paradigm booth 3325. All models will ship by CEDIA. Please visit www.paradigm.com for more details

wow thats actually kind of disappointing. No S10, no makeover ( i was hoping they would at least make some of the screws on the front look less noticeable), and honestly nothing major performance wise added.
post #95 of 106 Old 09-04-2009, 07:06 AM

Liked: 19
No mention of more veneer choices either. At least the prices stayed the same. Should make for some great bargains on floor model v2's dealers are willing to part with.
post #96 of 106 Old 09-04-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I don't know... the upgrade to the drivers is a nice step up IMO....
I for one am very interested in the .v3 line, and should be a nice upgrade from the Studio 100's & 690 for me at least, and with the prices remaining the same, thats a nice upgrade over the .v2. Now the question is S6's or S8's... I don't have alot of flexibility for placement the S8's like, so I may just have to stick with the S6 C5 combo...

Quote:

The state-of-the-art surround material is 10 times more effective than standard thermoplastic elastomers in damping vibrations and resonances and the new corrugated design has increased peak-to-peak cone excursion from 20-mm in earlier versions to a full 30-mm. A new long-stroke split-coil motor system takes advantage of the extreme excursion by doubling the linear portion of the stroke without requiring a larger magnet. The redesigned motor also keeps mass and inductance of the voice coil low for breathtaking midrange clarity.

post #97 of 106 Old 09-04-2009, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, so this is a total nit-pick on my part, but I'm a stickler for quality so I'm going to say it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm Sig Press Release View Post

Metallized high-integrity dust caps (bass/midrange drivers)

No! Not a dust cap that is supposed to look like a phase plug, not on a speaker of this caliber! That's poser tech.

Onto other matters . . . I think that is pretty cool that they added 3dB of sensitivity and higher excursion to the mid driver. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of the ribbed surround. It makes and already overly complicated speaker face look even more cluttered. I too was hoping for something a little more sleek and updated style-wise.

I'm sure that they still sound great though.
post #98 of 106 Old 09-04-2009, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow can't believe I missed that, I have been so busy.... I agree 100%...
I'll take the full phase plug myself.... this is the second time they have chose to go this route, no different then the Studio line...
I'll certainly be asking questions to the Paradigm crew at CEDIA when I go...

I have no doubt they sound fantastic, but whats up with cutting corners on the midrange driver like that... I don't mind the new ribbed surround for better and more stable excursion, I rarely ever take the grills off myself...

In fact the new upcoming return of the TC-Sounds 18" LMS drivers have also incorporated this same feature...

I have 2 Black Titanium cone LMS's on the way to replace my 18" Mal-X's, just looking for a 3rd at this point, I have been considering 3 of the newly updated LMS's, but that will certainly come at a very large cost... $1500-$2K each... I got plenty of amp power 4x4000w for each driver, but that is starting to dip into the funds of a new front 3 at that point.. They def put a new twist on the look of an extremely heavy duty driver...
post #99 of 106 Old 09-04-2009, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Wow can't believe I missed that, I have been so busy.... I agree 100%...
I'll take the full phase plug myself.... this is the second time they have chose to go this route, no different then the Studio line...

I have no doubt they sound fantastic, but whats up with cutting corners on the midrange driver like that... I don't mind the new ribbed surround for better and more stable excursion, I rarely ever take the grills off myself...

In fact the new upcoming return of the TC-Sounds 18" LMS drivers have also incorporated this same feature...

I have 2 Black Titanium cone LMS's on the way to replace my 18" Mal-X's, just looking for a 3rd at this point, I have been considering 3 of the newly updated LMS's, but that will certainly come at a very large cost... $1500-$2K each... I got plenty of amp power 4x4000w for each driver, but that is starting to dip into the funds of a new front 3 at that point.. They def put a new twist on the look of an extremely heavy duty driver...

Thems a lot of acronyms you're throwing at me right there. But I like your POV on LFE. Things can go totoally FUBAR, IME, if you don't give a little TLC from 80Hz on down IYKWIM.

Oh, and when you have all of those ribbed drivers in your room, and your girl gets all excited about watching a movie, you can tell her that they were "ribbed for her pleasure."

post #100 of 106 Old 09-04-2009, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Hahhahah the 2 LMS's I have on the way are the old driver, no slouch in its own right, but the new ones are lookin like they will certainly have even more gusto then the King of the Hill they will be replacing to be certain...

I'll have to give it some serious thought if I am to pull the trigger on the new Sigs, I was seriously floored by what the .v2's brought to the plate...
post #101 of 106 Old 09-04-2009, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hahhahah the 2 LMS's I have on the way are the old driver, no slouch in its own right, but the new ones are lookin like they will certainly have even more gusto then the King of the Hill they will be replacing to be certain...

post #102 of 106 Old 09-05-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:

Do you mind also asking them how well the v.3 line would mesh with some older v.2 speakers? I have S6 v.2 for fronts in a 2 channel setup but will be needing a centre channel and rear speakers next year, probably a C5 and S2 for the rears. I'd rather buy v.3's since they're newer unless it would make my system sound unnatural mixed with the v.2 fronts. Thanks.
post #103 of 106 Old 09-05-2009, 03:44 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Ok, so this is a total nit-pick on my part, but I'm a stickler for quality so I'm going to say it anyway.

No! Not a dust cap that is supposed to look like a phase plug, not on a speaker of this caliber! That's poser tech.

Just to clarify they are doing the same thing as they did with the studio series. The midrange of the 3 way s6 and s8 are the same as they are in V2. They do have a fixed phase plug as they do not need to have high excursion due to their crossover point. The midrange/woofer of the bookshelf speakers are the ones that changed. In the s6 and s8 only the woofers have.
I wish they didnt get rid of the s4 as there is a big price gap between the s2 and the s6.

Paradigm S4 v2 Paradigm C3 Paradigm Sub 1 Paradigm Studio 10s Marantz AV8801 Anthem A2 Anthem MCA30 Sony 60EX500
post #104 of 106 Old 09-05-2009, 07:18 PM

Should i keep my Signature S6 V2 or upgrade to S8 V3's. Hmmmmmmmmm... Got to listen to the new Signature V3's to see if there is going to be a huge difference in sound quality?

I am actually more interested in their new Sub.

post #105 of 106 Old 09-06-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Eh, Be is overrated. I've owned Focal Electra Be's and Revel Studio2's with Be tweets and I liked the S8's better. It's all in the execution. Now ribbon tweeter can be very special, but then you have the limited vertical dispersion which require you to be seated to get all of the treble out of the speakers. The only workable compromise I've heard is the Dali Helicon with the hybrid ribbon / dome module.

Hifi

Just went to the dealer yesterday, and picked the S8's. Turns out they were better than mint and pretty much in new condition. The previous owner was a sick, crazy audiophile, and was even anal enough to keep the original boxes in excellent condition by wrapping them in bags.
The dealer offered me his 2 year old demo model Anthem P2 for $1800 (tax included) with a 5 year warranty. I may have gotten a slightly better deal on Audiogon, without a warranty. I figured it was worth the extra $100 or so. I think this amp is sufficient for the S8's
Since my sound room will not be fully built for a while, I am going to grab an Anthem AVM 20 off flea bay so I can listen to music. I want to take my time on the sound room and build it for life. Can I PM you for some advice, and opinions on different music players and tracks as well?
I don't want to hijack this thread here.
post #106 of 106 Old 09-25-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilbenz View Post

I wonder if you could show me what the KAV 500 bridging jumpers look like. I bought my KAV 500 used which came with no jumpers. I'd like to buy them locally but not sure what they look like. A picture would be much appreciated. Thank you so much.

Chris

Hi Zilbenz,

Sorry for the delay but I just saw your post. I've attached a pick of the KAV 500bridged so you can get a better idea of what to look for. I would think you should order them directly from Krell. I'll also p.m. you.
LL
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page