Paradigm Signature V2 Owners - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 106 Old 07-22-2007, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just got my new S2 and C3 V2 speakers. Just curious what others think of their speakers and how they compare to their previous or other speakers they may have. How long did it take to break them in?

I previously had Studio 60 V3, and as much as I liked them, the new S2's are far superior.

The detail, clarity, imaging and sounstage are phenominal, not to mention the appearance.

Has anyone upgraded from V1 to V2's? How do the new ones compare to the V1's?

What do you think of the new beryllium tweeter and aluminum mid/bass?

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 Old 07-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's your opinion on the beryllium tweeter ? S2 money gets you alot of speaker nowadays, what did you compare them to outside Paradigm?
post #3 of 106 Old 07-23-2007, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfromcanada View Post

What's your opinion on the beryllium tweeter ? S2 money gets you alot of speaker nowadays, what did you compare them to outside Paradigm?

Unfortunately, we are not in a city that gives us much of an opportunity to demo many hi-end speakers. We can get them, but usually have to order them in because the stores will not carry them as regular stock. The store did have a pair of S2 V1's, Monitor Audio RS6, Paradigm Studio 40 V4 and Studio 60 V3 (which is what I was looking to replace)

The RS6 and new Studio 40's were very impressive. I could have lived with either of these. The new Studio 40's sound so much better than the V3 60's. The 60's were not in the same league as any of them, which convinced me more that I should replace mine. (This is not to say the 60's were bad, but in comparison, they have a much darker, laid back sound) Overall, the S2 V1's provided more detail and the soundstaging appeared much better and more realistic. Imaging is phenomenal, which is to be expected from a small cabinet. However, they also provided a very full sound from such a small cabinet. Quite impressive.

I was able to bring the S2 V1's home do demo in my own environment, so once again, I tried them compared to the 60's. No question, the S2's are much better all round with the exception of a bit more bass from the 60's, but surprisingly, it didn't seem like that much more.

Now, I also own a pair of B&W 804's which are set up in a different system. In comparing the S2's to the 804's, the S2's are the first speaker that I've heard that I think I prefer to the 804's. (I think) Both are phenomenal sounding, but each have their own characteristic sound. It's hard to determine. That being said, you have to consider the size difference and cost difference, and the fact that I would have a hard time picking one over the other says something for the S2's. I then hooked the S2's up with my sub, which is how I will be using them anyway since they are part of a HT system. WOW, this just added the little bit of fullness in the bottom end that they needed.

So, I then pondered whether I should keep the V1's or order the new V2's which have the beryllium tweeters. I figured if I didn't get the new ones, I would probably regret it, so the order was placed for a pair of S2's and a C3 in piano black. I was a bit worried not having heard the V2's, but Paradigm is known for continually improving their lineup, so I wasn't overly concerned.

I hung onto the V1's until the V2's came in which gave me a chance to compare these two. Keep in mind that the V2's were not broken in at the time of the comparison where the V1's were. The first noticeable difference was that the V1's played louder because they are slightly more efficient, which immediately gave me the notion of sounding better, until I started doing some critical listening. The sound is very similar, however, the V2's are a bit smoother. They also seem to provide a bit wider soundstage, probably due partly to the new aluminum mid/bass. They also seem to be quicker. Some details within the music popped out more while listening. These were things that I didn't remember hearing previously, so going back to the V1's, these same sounds were there, but definitely not as prominent. This is probably due to the extremely high frequency response capable from the beryllium, although I'm sure I probably don't hear anything much above 16,000 Hz, if that. However, I think even within my hearing range, the beryllium tweeters possess the ability to let more of the recording through. One thing I have noticed is that our cat's ears perk up a whole lot more with the V2's. That does tell me that the beryllium is producing some higher frequencies than what was possible with the V1's.

So, in summary, the S2 V2's appear smoother, quicker with a wider soundstage and a bit more detailed. All in all, a phenomenal speaker. I didn't even get into the sound of the C3 and the system for movies, but I can tell you, so far, I am very, very impressed. Paradigm has once again improved a speaker that was already phenomenal.

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

post #4 of 106 Old 07-23-2007, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very nice! The S2 in piano black adds a very classy look. I think the S2 is the true gem of the Sig line and much better than the S4 IMO. I haven't heard the S6, though.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #5 of 106 Old 07-23-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Yeah... Im very much looking forward to Kal Rubinson's up-coming review of the new Sig S-6....

Thanks Bluemark for that nice write up... it was good to hear from someone who has compared them from .v1 to .v2... Appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts....

And yes... that Piano Black is Sexy looking... great looking speaks
post #6 of 106 Old 07-23-2007, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
bluemark81, where are you in N.B ?

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #7 of 106 Old 07-23-2007, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPainMD View Post

bluemark81, where are you in N.B ?

I sent you a private message.

post #8 of 106 Old 07-24-2007, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Congrats on the new speaks Bluemark 81! Your V2's are the new hotness and make my V1's look old and busted, well almost. . .

I must have auditioned, and/or bought and sold a dozen different speakers before choosing the Sigs. For me they sounded the most tonally nuetral of any of the speakers I had listened to, the soundstage goes from wall to wall, and they are detailed without sounding bright.

I don't think I will tempt myself by auditioning the V2's anytime soon, as I am very happy with what I have, but congratulations to you. I'm sure you will be happy with them for many years to come.

It's funny, when I first bought my sigs, I had the same Toshiba TV you have.

But I love my new Panny plasma. You can't beat a direct view set for that "looking through a window" HD experience. I had to have the cabinet custom made though to house the C3. Even though it is considerably smaller than the C5, it is still a rather large center compared to what most AV cabinet makers plan for.
post #9 of 106 Old 07-24-2007, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Congrats on the new speaks Bluemark 81! Your V2's are the new hotness and make my V1's look old and busted, well almost. . .

I must have auditioned, and/or bought and sold a dozen different speakers before choosing the Sigs. For me they sounded the most tonally nuetral of any of the speakers I had listened to, the soundstage goes from wall to wall, and they are detailed without sounding bright.

I don't think I will tempt myself by auditioning the V2's anytime soon, as I am very happy with what I have, but congratulations to you. I'm sure you will be happy with them for many years to come.

It's funny, when I first bought my sigs, I had the same Toshiba TV you have.

But I love my new Panny plasma. You can't beat a direct view set for that "looking through a window" HD experience. I had to have the cabinet custom made though to house the C3. Even though it is considerably smaller than the C5, it is still a rather large center compared to what most AV cabinet makers plan for.

Very nice setup! Hope my writeup didn't make you feel too bad about the V1's because there is no reason to be. They are a fantastic speaker and they were the reason I changed from my previous speakers, besides the fact that my wife wanted smaller speakers. (The Studio 60's were very nice in their own right) The differences between the V1's and V2's appear to be subtle so far, but subtly better, but I am still going through the breaking in process.

I have been looking to replace my Toshiba with a Panasonic Plasma as well. I want to go to a 1080p so I can take advantage of my Anthem's processor. How do you find the Panny compares to your Toshiba? I have not seen a whole lot of new technologies that are as good as the Toshiba when it is properly setup and calibrated so I am a bit apprehensive to make the change.

Thanks for your comments!

How do you get your pictures to be displayed in the text window?

post #10 of 106 Old 07-24-2007, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

You have to host them on a site like http://photobucket.com/ , then when posting use the Insert Image button.

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #11 of 106 Old 07-26-2007, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very nice setup! Hope my writeup didn't make you feel too bad about the V1's because there is no reason to be. They are a fantastic speaker and they were the reason I changed from my previous speakers, besides the fact that my wife wanted smaller speakers. (The Studio 60's were very nice in their own right) The differences between the V1's and V2's appear to be subtle so far, but subtly better, but I am still going through the breaking in process.

I have been looking to replace my Toshiba with a Panasonic Plasma as well. I want to go to a 1080p so I can take advantage of my Anthem's processor. How do you find the Panny compares to your Toshiba? I have not seen a whole lot of new technologies that are as good as the Toshiba when it is properly setup and calibrated so I am a bit apprehensive to make the change.

Thanks for your comments!

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't see that there was any action going on in this thread since I posted.

No, I don't feel bad about your comments on the differences between the V1 and V2 Sigs. I would hope that the V2s would be an improvement over the previous model. The truth is, I auditioned numerous speakers from all the best companies before I chose the Sigs, so I have no regrets. Even if something potentially better comes out, like the V2s, I am very content with what I have.

So how does the Panny plasma compare to the Toshiba? Well there are always trade-offs, but one of the things I really like about the Panny is that is a direct view set. Picture uniformity is perfect, there are no off-axis viewing problems, no convergence problems and no halos. Halos? I don't know if you have noticed this, but on any RP TV that I have seen or owned, you could see a halo around bright images on a dark background. Not a huge issue, but once you see it, it is hard to ignore.

Sure the black levels of the Panny aren't quite as good as CRT, but they are so close that it really isn't an issue for me .. . and they keep getting better each new panel generation. There is also some dithering in dark areas, but this is only noticable if you are within 3 feet of the picture (I sit 13 feet away normally).

Surprisingly, even though the set I have is 720P, when compared to my previous 1080i set, there is NO difference in perceived detail from where I sit and you have to be at 4 feet or closer to see the pixel structure.

Well, enough about TVs. Go enjoy your new speaks!
post #12 of 106 Old 07-27-2007, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't see that there was any action going on in this thread since I posted.

No, I don't feel bad about your comments on the differences between the V1 and V2 Sigs. I would hope that the V2s would be an improvement over the previous model. The truth is, I auditioned numerous speakers from all the best companies before I chose the Sigs, so I have no regrets. Even if something potentially better comes out, like the V2s, I am very content with what I have.

So how does the Panny plasma compare to the Toshiba? Well there are always trade-offs, but one of the things I really like about the Panny is that is a direct view set. Picture uniformity is perfect, there are no off-axis viewing problems, no convergence problems and no halos. Halos? I don't know if you have noticed this, but on any RP TV that I have seen or owned, you could see a halo around bright images on a dark background. Not a huge issue, but once you see it, it is hard to ignore.

Sure the black levels of the Panny aren't quite as good as CRT, but they are so close that it really isn't an issue for me .. . and they keep getting better each new panel generation. There is also some dithering in dark areas, but this is only noticable if you are within 3 feet of the picture (I sit 13 feet away normally).

Surprisingly, even though the set I have is 720P, when compared to my previous 1080i set, there is NO difference in perceived detail from where I sit and you have to be at 4 feet or closer to see the pixel structure.

Well, enough about TVs. Go enjoy your new speaks!

Thanks for telling me the differences. I have not noticed the halo effect you mentioned, however, with certain scenes, I can see a brighter vertical line directly in the middle of the screen. Most evident when there is a scene with a bright blue sky.

I'm guessing that there is not a whole lot of action on this thread because perhaps alot of members here don't yet have the Sig V2's? Hopefully it will pick up.

post #13 of 106 Old 07-27-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for telling me the differences. I have not noticed the halo effect you mentioned, however, with certain scenes, I can see a brighter vertical line directly in the middle of the screen. Most evident when there is a scene with a bright blue sky.

I'm guessing that there is not a whole lot of action on this thread because perhaps alot of members here don't yet have the Sig V2's? Hopefully it will pick up.

Yup, I remember seeing that vertical line on my Toshiba too. Though I thought that was just a quirk of my particular set.
post #14 of 106 Old 10-12-2007, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony View Post

Very nice! The S2 in piano black adds a very classy look. I think the S2 is the true gem of the Sig line and much better than the S4 IMO. I haven't heard the S6, though.

Can you elaborate on how the S2 is better than the S4? My local dealer only has the S4 and up in the showroom, so I won't be able to listen to the S2, which is what I was interested in mostly. Also, if you have any comments on the S2 vs. the Studio 20, I would be very interested.
post #15 of 106 Old 10-12-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony

Can you elaborate on how the S2 is better than the S4? My local dealer only has the S4 and up in the showroom, so I won't be able to listen to the S2, which is what I was interested in mostly. Also, if you have any comments on the S2 vs. the Studio 20, I would be very interested.

The S2 goes lower in the bass than the S4 (though no paradigm speaker goes very low), and costs less. The sound is refined and good for the money. As you go up in the Sig line there is more and more competition and the value is no longer a standout. Before you buy the S2 listen to the PSB M2 Platinum, a little flatter response than the S2. The Studio 20 is excellent value, but the soundstage is better with the S2, smoother overall. Listen to both of you can and if the difference is not worth it to you, get the Studio 20, still a fine speaker.
post #16 of 106 Old 10-13-2007, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Luap,
Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking that lower bass in the S2 won't really help me since I plan to use the 80Hz crossover and let my f113 handle the bass. I guess I'm looking for the best bookshelf/monitor above 80Hz. I'll have to see if I can find a PSB dealer, never seen one actually. Also thinking of the B&W CM1 and the Monitor Audio GS10.
post #17 of 106 Old 10-13-2007, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

Luap,
Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking that lower bass in the S2 won't really help me since I plan to use the 80Hz crossover and let my f113 handle the bass. I guess I'm looking for the best bookshelf/monitor above 80Hz. I'll have to see if I can find a PSB dealer, never seen one actually. Also thinking of the B&W CM1 and the Monitor Audio GS10.

The Revel Performa M22 should also be on your short list for audtions. It is a very nuetral speaker.
post #18 of 106 Old 10-13-2007, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
bluemark thanks for those pics - it's the first I've seen of the Sigsv2 in any form and they just look incredible

Now, you seriously need to turn your attention to your television!

But all kidding aside, you must be in aural heaven.
post #19 of 106 Old 03-22-2008, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

bluemark thanks for those pics - it's the first I've seen of the Sigsv2 in any form and they just look incredible

Now, you seriously need to turn your attention to your television!

But all kidding aside, you must be in aural heaven.

I took your advice. Kidding, it was in the works for a while. See pics in my link.

post #20 of 106 Old 03-22-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

bluemark81:

Very nice pictures of your Signature S2's and I love the black finish. Also, thank you for posting pictures as well. I have a question, are your surround speakers the Studio S20's? If so, how do they match the S2 mains? Thanks
post #21 of 106 Old 03-23-2008, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

If I get the Paradigm Signatures, I'm wanting to go with the S8's. My closest dealer only has the S6. If I audition the S6, will that give me a good idea of what I'm getting with the S8? Thanks
post #22 of 106 Old 03-23-2008, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDaves View Post

bluemark81:

Very nice pictures of your Signature S2's and I love the black finish. Also, thank you for posting pictures as well. I have a question, are your surround speakers the Studio S20's? If so, how do they match the S2 mains? Thanks

Thanks. Yes, I am using 4 Studio's, one pair of Studio 20's for my rears and one set for my surrounds. For surround applications, they provide a good timbre match to the S2's and give a phenominal HT experience. I would have a hard time justifying using S2's for my surrounds, but in time it is certainly something I might consider. I will try to post a pic of the surround and rear channels.

post #23 of 106 Old 03-23-2008, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDaves View Post

If I get the Paradigm Signatures, I'm wanting to go with the S8's. My closest dealer only has the S6. If I audition the S6, will that give me a good idea of what I'm getting with the S8? Thanks

I have not hear the S6's myself, but you should be extremely pleased with the S8's. They are truely a world class speaker. I went for the S2's since I am using a Velodyne DD series sub which allows me to match it very closely to my mains using it's software and my wife wanted a smaller size speaker as opposed to a floor stander. I listen to alot of music and I couldn't be happier with the setup. What type of setup do you plan to use them in? HT/music? Are you using a sub?

post #24 of 106 Old 03-23-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The S2 v.1 is the smoothest Paradigm I've heard. And that's a good thing. I had problems with its bass though. I had it 3-4 feet away from front and side walls and the bass was still too full, bleeding into the vocals. You guys are fortunate that you can have it so close to your boundaries and still sound good.

Love to hear the v.2 sometime.
post #25 of 106 Old 03-23-2008, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing View Post

The S2 v.1 is the smoothest Paradigm I've heard. And that's a good thing. I had problems with its bass though. I had it 3-4 feet away from front and side walls and the bass was still too full, bleeding into the vocals. You guys are fortunate that you can have it so close to your boundaries and still sound good.

Love to hear the v.2 sometime.

Measuring from the center of the speakers, mine are placed 4.5 ft from the side walls and 2 ft from the back wall. I have not noticed the problems you are experiencing at all, but perhaps because I am using a sub as well.

post #26 of 106 Old 03-23-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Thanks guys for posting your thoughts and pics of the Sigs... I just recently bought S4's, unopened box Rosewood and a C3 Rosewood from a member here.. Paired them up with some Studio ADP-590s... so far the are really fantastic. I am aware of the complications of the 2 1/2 way with Interpolation, but haven't found myself dissatisfied with them, I have to say, they are smooth, dynamic and a nice step up from the .v4 Studio Line I already have.

I'll be getting my IcePower amp from D-Sonic next week, 1000ASP modules.... hoping to get that next step up in dynamics and clarity.

I'll have to post some pics soon when I get my new furniture... bought them for my bedroom setup...

I wanted to check out the .v2 line but couldn't pass up the deal I got for the package, and it gives me something to look forward to... possibly the next logical way to go would be some S6's. Just couldn't tackle the price for those just yet...
post #27 of 106 Old 03-23-2008, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Attachment 105503

Attachment 105504

Attachment 105505
LL
LL
LL

post #28 of 106 Old 03-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I love how the stands appear to just flow from the speakers, most monitor/stand combos never come close to achieving that one piece look, I wish more manufactures made dedicated stands

Esthetically speaking, Paradigm hit the ball out of the park with the entire line
post #29 of 106 Old 03-23-2008, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

bluemark81:

I'm wanting to get the Signature S8's because I want a full range speaker since I'm not planning to use a Sub at this point. I love the style, size and reviews I've read on the S8. I feel that I could get the S8's by themselves if finances dictate that, then add the C5 and then either the adp590s or 20 v4's as surrounds (Or I could get them all at once). The S8's are pretty expensive and cost as much by themselves as an entire Studio Reference surround system would.
post #30 of 106 Old 03-26-2008, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

warpdrv:

What publication does Kal Rubinson write for?
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page