Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 685 Old 10-28-2007, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by adcopyalert View Post

Craig, sorry for your loss, I am suddenly concious of the need to go and see my sister on wed., she only lives an hour away and it's been almost a month since I've seen her, I'll no doubt hug her a bit tighter.

Thanks for the condolences, much appreciated. And a sister is a treasure, for sure.
Quote:

All good choices for you Craig, in my opinion, but might I also suggest a set of Totems?

Definitely worth looking into ...

Quote:

In all the time lurking on various forums, it seems there are a terribly small number of people who are willing, able , or who bother to do a/b comparisons, blind or otherwise, in their own home. This is a pity, but seeing that there are so few, it seems that the posts about these direct comparisons are often taken to heart by those who don't conduct them for themselves, except for those who audition at stores or friends houses, etc.

This is true - although with the increasing number of people wanting good home theater, combined with fewer good places to audition, perhaps buying blind after reading a thread like this is a *little* better than buying a Bose system from Best Buy ?
Quote:

Any reason not to go with the BP7006s?

The dealer thinks the BP-10's are a better performer, especially in the mids.
Quote:

Don't you always get a bill?

No, Usually I send a check in ahead of time. I thought Jon might trust me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 685 Old 10-28-2007, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Time to rename the title of this thread.
post #663 of 685 Old 10-28-2007, 10:32 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

This is true - although with the increasing number of people wanting good home theater, combined with fewer good places to audition, perhaps buying blind after reading a thread like this is a *little* better than buying a Bose system from Best Buy ?

I know that in some markets there is only Best Buy, Tweeter, and Circuit City, but even there with Circuits redesigning of their audio rooms, and the Magnolias in Best Buys , there are still some opportunities for personal comparison, even though sometimes it isn't easy in those places. I'm lucky in that there have always been a few independants around as well.

Quote:

The dealer thinks the BP-10's are a better performer, especially in the mids.

Seems like a dated design. A friend has the 10's as surrounds and uses the 7004's as mains, he said it was a huge improvement when he substituted the 7006's in for the 10's as front speakers. I never did listen to them along side one another though. Might want to contact someone at Definative and see what they think.

Good luck.

another piece of marketing material, brought to you buy your "friend" in cyber-space.
post #664 of 685 Old 10-29-2007, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmi4ever View Post

Time to rename the title of this thread.

To simplify things, I will be starting a new thread when the first results are put up.

Part of that thread will be an invitation to AVSers that want to participate to come vists on a weekend. I know of one gent from Pittsburgh who is a total audio nut that will be here a couple of times.
post #665 of 685 Old 10-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Bal

Ok I am definantly coming in on the back end so I apologize, but where are the postings for the scores for the tower speakers?

Loved the sub listing and would like to see similiar for the towers. Doing a search on Cragssub in this forum is like looking in the ocean for a particular fish Way too many posts to find the one you want!
post #666 of 685 Old 10-29-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Still in the process of selecting speakers.

J.

Custom Built For The Win!
post #667 of 685 Old 10-29-2007, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

No, Usually I send a check in ahead of time. I thought Jon might trust me.

A pair leave this afternoon...

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
post #668 of 685 Old 10-29-2007, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Jon - Thanks for the update. Looking forward to getting them.

I also heard back from Def Tech ... The BP-10B's use the same 6.5 inch drivers as do the 7000/7001's ... and is a better overall performer for what we are doing here.

The contact was Chet at Def Tech ...
post #669 of 685 Old 10-29-2007, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Jon - Thanks for the update. Looking forward to getting them.

I also heard back from Def Tech ... The BP-10B's use the same 6.5 inch drivers as do the 7000/7001's ... and is a better overall performer for what we are doing here.

Dang, Craig.

I guess I'm going to have to hock an IRA and buy you a pair of JBL L890's to get you to add them to the shootout.

("Hock an IRA"?! That sounds kinda like a throat problem... Ewww.)

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #670 of 685 Old 10-29-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
check ye PMs, Mr. Lane.
post #671 of 685 Old 10-29-2007, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I will be listening to the Rocket 850's later this week and will post my thoughts regarding my speaker search after this audition.

With literally dozens of speakers in this price range the search could have gone on for quite some time. I live in Rochester, NY and limited my search to speakers at dealers within a 2-3 hour drive. I also considered all the internet only companies - I have only had the chance to audition a Rocket 750/200/450 set up so far.

Not sure if anyone in my area has speakers from other internet only companies in my area or not. From extensive reading online, it appears that the Rockets would be my best bet at the current prices anyways. My budget is $2500 or less for a 5 speaker system. I'll be using an Onkyo 705 for my receiver.

I'm looking forward to seeing if the Rocket 850's can outshine the B & W 683's.I'll post more this weekend.

Thanks to Craig for starting this thread and putting together this shootout. And let me join many others in offering my condolences to you as well.
post #672 of 685 Old 10-30-2007, 05:14 AM

Quote:

I don't mean to nit pick, but the BP10's aren't as widely sold as they are a hold-over from a prior series, I believe the tweeter is somewhat differant and of course the powered subs, but yes the 6.5" drivers are still used. If it's too much of a problem to set up the 7006's with the built-in subs, I can certainly understand how it might make the comparison more difficult.
Did you tell Chet what you were planning? Did he offer any suggestions or aid?

another piece of marketing material, brought to you buy your "friend" in cyber-space.
post #673 of 685 Old 10-30-2007, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigeast44 View Post

I will be listening to the Rocket 850's later this week and will post my thoughts regarding my speaker search after this audition.

With literally dozens of speakers in this price range the search could have gone on for quite some time. I live in Rochester, NY and limited my search to speakers at dealers within a 2-3 hour drive. I also considered all the internet only companies - I have only had the chance to audition a Rocket 750/200/450 set up so far.

Not sure if anyone in my area has speakers from other internet only companies in my area or not. From extensive reading online, it appears that the Rockets would be my best bet at the current prices anyways. My budget is $2500 or less for a 5 speaker system. I'll be using an Onkyo 705 for my receiver.

I'm looking forward to seeing if the Rocket 850's can outshine the B & W 683's.I'll post more this weekend.

Thanks to Craig for starting this thread and putting together this shootout. And let me join many others in offering my condolences to you as well.

We'll be looking forward to your impressions. Are you going to post them here or elsewhere on the forum?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #674 of 685 Old 10-30-2007, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'll post my comments here.
post #675 of 685 Old 10-31-2007, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Craigsub -

Quote:

I tried this with Jim a couple of years ago. He did not wish to participate because, in his words, a blind test with his speakers would be pointless, as they are superior to anything near their price class.

I tried to explain that if this was true, they should kill in a blind test. He thought differently.

Sorry, I don't recall the conversation. We have received numerous requests for review pairs over the years and, until relatively recently, we always turned them down. At the time, we simply couldn't keep up with demand and it seemed rather pointless to potentially generate sales we could not fulfill in a timely fashion. (We have since expanded our production capabilities.)

We do feel we offer a great deal of speaker for the money since we don't currently build a standard 40% dealer margin into our pricing. So I may well have left the impression we somehow felt the test was pointless based on price/performance. Whatever the confusion, I am certainly glad you mentioned the conversation since it allows us to clear the air, so to speak.

We would be more than happy to provide a pair of SongTower QWT's for your comparo. Just let us know what you need and we can make it happen.

Thanks,

- Jim

SalkSound.com
Custom-crafted Speakers
post #676 of 685 Old 10-31-2007, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk View Post

Craigsub -

Sorry, I don't recall the conversation. We have received numerous requests for review pairs over the years and, until relatively recently, we always turned them down. At the time, we simply couldn't keep up with demand and it seemed rather pointless to potentially generate sales we could not fulfill in a timely fashion. (We have since expanded our production capabilities.)

We do feel we offer a great deal of speaker for the money since we don't currently build a standard 40% dealer margin into our pricing. So I may well have left the impression we somehow felt the test was pointless based on price/performance. Whatever the confusion, I am certainly glad you mentioned the conversation since it allows us to clear the air, so to speak.

We would be more than happy to provide a pair of SongTower QWT's for your comparo. Just let us know what you need and we can make it happen.

Thanks,

- Jim

Jim, Thank you for the very reasoned response - I will contact you directly about purchasing a pair of towers which will fit the criteria of the test we are conducting.
post #677 of 685 Old 10-31-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Wow, Salk speakers at the GTG - NICE!

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #678 of 685 Old 10-31-2007, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Craig, I am trilled to see that. Glad to see some things have changed for Jim and that he is now able to participate. I hope you get ALOT of snow this winter so you cannot do anything but test speakers!!

I will be doing some comparisions with the Dana 980's (when available) with my Dali Helicon 400's. I will post my thoughts and anybody else who stops by to listen.
post #679 of 685 Old 10-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Craig, I am trilled to see that. Glad to see some things have changed for Jim and that he is now able to participate. I hope you get ALOT of snow this winter so you cannot do anything but test speakers!!

I will be doing some comparisions with the Dana 980's (when available) with my Dali Helicon 400's. I will post my thoughts and anybody else who stops by to listen.

Funny you should be planning that -- I'll be comparing my new Dana 980s when I get them to my buddy's Helicon 800s. Should be a very interesting comparison. My expectation is that the Helicons will be better, but I'm very curious to see just how close the Danas will come for ~ $2000 less. I think they'll make TAI proud.

Craig, glad to see you back but I just got caught up and saw your posts regarding your sister. I know words don't help very much but my thoughts are with you and your family.

Great to hear there will be a pair of Salks in the mix! I've been curious about them for some time. Speaking of Dalis, it would be great to see an appropriate pair of Dali speakers in the fray as well, though I'm not sure which line to suggest as they have several with models in the right price range, and dealers can be hard to find if you're not in Southern CA (which I'm not).

I think including the Paradigms is a good idea since they're so well known and popular; it'll give a lot of people a familiar baseline for what folks are hearing in comparison. Along the same lines, would a pair of B&Ws work? I believe the new 600 series has a tower or two in the right range...

I'm curious, this time around Craig do you plan to do a big GTG like the Sept. one or are you simply inviting folks to come by as they have the time individually or in small groups? Just wondering.

Very much looking forward to how it plays out this time!

post #680 of 685 Old 04-25-2008, 08:16 AM

I just found this thread - is there a link to where any of the results are posted?
post #681 of 685 Old 04-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Location: Living among the children of the corn in Oxford, (S.E.), PA.
The original poster - Craigsub - mentions he'd post the results if there was interest, you could search on his name.

Or email him direct, I recently met him, he's a nice guy and I'm sure would provide what guidance he could.

Over at the AV123 forum is a post similiar, the 850s vs Swan 5.1 classics

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php...highlight=swan

"The Bundys' proud name was built on a philosophy of lying. Well, lying, owing money and perhaps beer. Yes, lying, owing money and beer. The only thing that separates us from the Kennedys is that they have money." - Al Bundy
post #682 of 685 Old 02-02-2009, 01:03 PM

...the results. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I am especially interested in the Rocket 850 and Swan 6.1.

Thank you.
post #683 of 685 Old 02-02-2009, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 222
post #684 of 685 Old 02-02-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

The results can be found in The Floorstanding listening thread begins . . .

I think these results are for 850's vs 6.2 not 6.1 that sound different from what I've heard. I'm also interested if anybody did a comparison between 850's and 6.1's.
post #685 of 685 Old 02-03-2009, 08:47 PM

A comparison between the 6.2's and the 6.1's should get you what you want.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page