Opinions on the Klipsch RF-83 Home Theatre System? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.klipsch.com/products/deta...er-system.aspx

Does anyone own this system? Is it worth the price? Are there any comparable systems that may be a bit cheaper? Would love to hear any opinions! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would try the Klipsch website forum for fellow users.

http://forums.klipsch.com/Forums/
post #4 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well I figure they would be a tad biased...
post #5 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 07:56 PM

And this forum isnt biased against Klipsch? Sorry you asked if anyone owned this system, I thought you were wanting people who have actually heard it.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Why exactly is it biased against Klipsch?
post #7 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 09:00 PM

Evan, you'll find a plethora of people who dislike horns, especially Klipsch's. While all may not say it, that feeds a lot of Klipsch anti-culture here.

I've heard the RF-83 floorstanders and while they sounded good, I don't know whether I'd consider them categorically different than the 82's or 62's for that matter.

The soundstage gets a bit fuller on the lower end w/ the 62-> 82 upgrade but 83 is just adding one more 8" woofer and it is still a 2-way speaker. In fact, they increase the size of the tweeter to 1.25" and lower the crossover which means the horn is responsible for about 350hz more than it was before.

Other speaker companies at this point might make it 2.5 or even 3-way but Klipsch opts for this route of a 3rd 8" woofer and a slightly different woofer design.

I cannot in good conscience think that a 3rd woofer is worth the $1500 difference in MSRP pair pricing. In fact, if you're thinking of 83's... buy 4 82's for $500 less than the 83's and your HT will be flooded with sound... and you can spend $500 on a sub from SVS, HSU, dayton, eD or one of the other companies that people on these forums suggest highly.

Edit: I have some RF-82's being delivered soon. So I'm not a hater myself.

My best advice would be if you want to stay within the manufactorer: go Klipsch for your LCR and Surrounds but go elsewhere as you can get twice the sub for the money and fantastic fidelity w/ the other companies mentioned above.
post #8 of 17 Old 08-06-2007, 06:08 AM

I own a full rf82 setup and just recently added a THX U2 setup. The THXU2 setup is for HT only so I kept my rf82 for music. For now they are all in one room. So thats the first thing you need to decide... how is your time devided.. HT vs music? I enjoy the 82s but the THX center is far better than everything in the refernce line. The 82s also didnt go loud enough. At times you could hear the speakers maxing out. I could probally fix that with the crossover and other adjustments but Im not a master at Denons 3806...yet. If I were you, I would go for the 82s all around, 5 of them. They provide a much fuller sound in the back-sides as well as the center. While the rf83s are a better sound, the price differnce is just too much if you ask me.

Klipsch fan for life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-06-2007, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have the RF-83 system, minus the sub which I already had from another manufacturer. I came from Polk speakers, and really like the Klipsch sound in a sound treated basement. If you listened to them and liked them, then I say go for it. I'm running mine with an Pioneer Elite 74txvi, and it seems to be plenty of power.

As for price compared to the RF-82's, is it worth the extra money? Nope. However, here in Indianapolis I went to Ovation and they had a buy one, get one free sale on the RF-83's, so I got the pair for $1,250, and get an incredible deal on the rest of the package as well. Is it worth the price retail for the set? To be honest I wouldn't have considered it. I didn't want to spend over $2,500 for the 7 speakers, not including the subwoofer, and for that price, I couldn't find a speaker that I liked more.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-06-2007, 08:44 PM

Basically what you should garner from amdoverclocker is:

He's running a denon 3806 rated at 120 wpc. the RF-82's are rated at 150 watts RMS. You should be able to push the super sensitive Klipsch RF-82's (98 dB /1 watt / 1 meter) at 120 watts per channel at 10 feet distance (dB is loss is doubled somewhere around 6 feet I believe, but you can look that up) you'll be peaking each speaker at 109.1 dB and with 2 rf-82's the overlapping sound creates an increased loudness equal to about 3dB and can play them both around: 112dB peak power (not continuous) just about maxing out your receiver.

If you have 5 expect your peak to be even louder... just note that it would be uncomfortable.

Because music and movies can have 10-30 dB peaks and you don't want to clip your speakers you should be playing somewhere down in the 90 dB range which, although it may not be loud enough for him, it will likely make the neighbors complain and your ears ring after a while.

What does that mean and how can you figure stuff like this out... programs all over the net.

Things like Peak SPL Calculator (PSC which is freeware)
http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...alculator.html
which is an SPL calculator on the web and corresponding SPL levels. Just make sure you read the instructions well.

OSHA has guidelines for noise loudness exposure

Keep asking questions and read up all you can, there's a whole world of knowledge out there that's still untapped.

Know that I'm not even close to an expert but I attest that this is to the best of my knowledge so far.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

I can't imagine the RF-82s not being loud enough. They are the most powerful and sensitive speakers I have heard for the money.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-07-2007, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Unless you plan to use them in a football stadium, the RF-82's will be plenty loud.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-07-2007, 05:28 PM

Unless you have your crossover at 1000hz, I dont believe that to be true.

I am using the 3806 on the THXU2s and you can turn them up until your ears bleed and your chest is pounding without any distortion.

Klipsch fan for life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-08-2007, 02:51 PM

For what it's worth...I listened to the RF-83's in a session just a week or two ago. Personally, I wasn't too impressed other than the bottom end. My write-up was really between the B&W 704 and the Rocket 850's but I also listened to and commented on the RF-83. See it here. Bottom line, I paid to send my 850s back and am buying B&W 704's.

I personllay tend to not like the characteristics Klipsch...so take my advice with a grain of salt if you do like the sound Klipsch.

sconner
post #15 of 17 Old 08-08-2007, 07:02 PM

i have just the 83's for two channel and i really love them. this is strictly my opinion of course and i haven't heard any of the reference series. And, by reading stuff on the klipsch forum, the rf-83's dont simply add a third woofer, they are sonically different somehow (i'm not huge into all this technical stuff). i can't remember where i read this but try searching on the klipsch forum and you might find your answer. BUT make sure you listen to 'em. I found that I really like the Klipsch's sound by listening to the lower end synergy series. Its really true that some love em and other hate em.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-08-2007, 08:46 PM

Liked: 12
I have the RF-83 mains and RF-82 for my rears. Did a side by side compares between them the RF-83 are a much more refined sound to them. Theres a lot more to them than just 1 8" woofer. Simply put they are much better sounding speaker to me. I also have the RC-64 center and use Velodyne for subs. But don't get me wrong, I really like the RF-82 I just RF-83 a whole lot better.
post #17 of 17 Old 08-08-2007, 09:26 PM

Just for the record it's just not another 8" woofer being thrown into a larger cabinet. The tweeter is a completely different design which really does lend to a much smoother sound. I have an RC-64 which employs that tweeter paired with RF-7's. I think the 64's tweeter is slightly smoother and more refined, although both are great.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page