B&W 602 S3 vs B&W 685 ... Which one is the best? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which one would you pick with the same price?
B&W 602 S3 10 22.22%
B&W 685 35 77.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which spekaer is the best? I was lookinf for the 602 s3 and I found a new version just released in 2007, the BW 685.

Both are with the same price (U$600). Which one should I pick? Why?

- B&W 602 S3
or
- B&W 685

I can't post the B&W links because I didn't reach the 5 posts yet.

I hope you can help me.....

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

I almost forget it:

* My receiver is Onkyo 605
* 80% of the use time will be for movies
post #3 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Both are the best.. only YOUR ears can determine the best.

I have read some reviews stating the "NEW" 600 series is a tad bit better than the older 600 series. So I voted accordingly.

I will be demoing the 684's for my bedroom. For $1,000 a pair, it's a WIN-WIN situation.
post #4 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWisconsin97 View Post

Both are the best.. only YOUR ears can determine the best.

I have read some reviews stating the "NEW" 600 series is a tad bit better than the older 600 series. So I voted accordingly.

I will be demoing the 684's for my bedroom. For $1,000 a pair, it's a WIN-WIN situation.

The problem is it. I can't test it before. I just have this choice, buy the 602 or 685 for the same price. Would be nice if I could test both.

Which one should I buy? Somenbody know a good 685 review?
post #5 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThiagoD View Post

The problem is it. I can't test it before. I just have this choice, buy the 602 or 685 for the same price. Would be nice if I could test both.

Which one should I buy? Somenbody know a good 685 review?

Put two pieces of paper in a hat, one 685, one 602. Next, draw and choose that one.

The '68' series has lots of new features, and since the price is the same, I'd go with the '68' series.
post #6 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

The 602's were a great standard for quite some time, and there were many things to like about them, but the new series has better imaging, a sweeter and lighter top-end,more airy quality , and they look better. If the price is the same , get the new ones , the 602's should be @ $150 less now as they are discontinued.

I think it would be generally more useful if everyone new to these forums is reminded that they are constantly being marketed to and pitched by people who post their affiliations and many others who do not. This is all part of marketing and advertising and you, the consumer, are the targets.
Noth...
post #7 of 31 Old 08-15-2007, 07:49 PM

I read that the B&W made several (perhaps key) changes with the 685. I haven't confirmed this, but you may want to read into this if it helps with your decision:

- The 685 line is the first under their speaker line to be manufactured in China
- The 685 are about 8 lbs lighter than the older 602s
- The 685 has a smaller cabinet
- The 685 has a smaller mid bass driver (6.5" rather than 7")
- The 685 crossover is just a single Mcap

Spec wise, it seems that the 685 is a step down in build quality and size over the 602s. However, specs don't determine dictate sound quality, so only your ears can tell for sure.
post #8 of 31 Old 08-15-2007, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by couch21 View Post

I read that the B&W made several (perhaps key) changes with the 685. I haven't confirmed this, but you may want to read into this if it helps with your decision:

- The 685 line is the first under their speaker line to be manufactured in China
- The 685 are about 8 lbs lighter than the older 602s
- The 685 has a smaller cabinet
- The 685 has a smaller mid bass driver (6.5" rather than 7")
- The 685 crossover is just a single Mcap

Spec wise, it seems that the 685 is a step down in build quality and size over the 602s. However, specs don't determine dictate sound quality, so only your ears can tell for sure.

On the other hand, B&W incorporated their latest technologies in the new 600 series, and it's supposed to be improved in many ways sound wise (which of course, you should verify for yourself). One could argue that the cost of these improvements are some of the things you mentioned. For example, B&W could couldn't have offered a FST driver in a speaker of that price without resorting to China manufacture.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #9 of 31 Old 08-16-2007, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
New tweeter (new motor structure and surround material)
New Midrange driver (new motor structure, phase plug)
New 1st order crossover (design trickled down from 800 series through new CM series)

Better imaging, new "lghter/airier(?)" sounding highs (sorry it's early and I'm shooting for a one word desciption), slieghtly less veiled(?)......$h!T, just go listen, there's an obvious differance, but as with all speakers, what you prefer is up to you.

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #10 of 31 Old 08-16-2007, 06:43 AM

I don't know if my comment is pertinent, but I'll go ahead in hopes of guiding your purchase.

The B&W 602s are probably the worse speakers I've ever tried in that price range.

I've listened to litreally dozens of speakers and these have a muffled midrange, bright top and uncontrolled bottom.

Dynaudio, Monitor Audio, Focal, Elac, Quad, Totem... all make superior speakers... I personally have owned some Focal, Quad, Elac, and was VERY fond of Totem (almost bought them, but ended up with Dynaudio).

I'd shy away from B&W, you're buying more marketing than speaker. The only speakers that are worth it are the B&W 802Ds which in my opinion the best speaker in that price range (I've auditionned Wilson Audio Sophias and Sonus Faber Cremonas + Quad ESL 2905s, but couldn't afford the B&Ws price... ended up with Elac 210 anniversary editions.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 31 Old 08-16-2007, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisII View Post

I don't know if my comment is pertinent, but I'll go ahead in hopes of guiding your purchase.

The B&W 602s are probably the worse speakers I've ever tried in that price range.

I've listened to litreally dozens of speakers and these have a muffled midrange, bright top and uncontrolled bottom.

Dynaudio, Monitor Audio, Focal, Elac, Quad, Totem... all make superior speakers... I personally have owned some Focal, Quad, Elac, and was VERY fond of Totem (almost bought them, but ended up with Dynaudio).

I'd shy away from B&W, you're buying more marketing than speaker. The only speakers that are worth it are the B&W 802Ds which in my opinion the best speaker in that price range (I've auditionned Wilson Audio Sophias and Sonus Faber Cremonas + Quad ESL 2905s, but couldn't afford the B&Ws price... ended up with Elac 210 anniversary editions.)

Dude,

You're knocking B & Ws??? I have the Bose AM10 setup (yes, I know) I'm trying to replace them with a good cube, small module surround system. I was told by a sales guy in a HT store that B & Ws are really good for what I'm looking for.

I was considering the B & W, Definitive Technology and Mirage brand. Don't want to spend no more than $1300 for the complete setup (including the subs) if I can help it!
post #12 of 31 Old 08-16-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:

Did you try puting the port plug in your 602's?
post #13 of 31 Old 08-16-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckJ View Post

Dude,

You're knocking B & Ws??? I have the Bose AM10 setup (yes, I know) I'm trying to replace them with a good cube, small module surround system. I was told by a sales guy in a HT store that B & Ws are really good for what I'm looking for.

I was considering the B & W, Definitive Technology and Mirage brand. Don't want to spend no more than $1300 for the complete setup (including the subs) if I can help it!

Look at the brands you were considering: Def. Tech and Mirage are predominately surround sound speakers, and though for HT applications they're excellent, I wouldn't touch them with a barge poll for high end stereo applications.

I realize that the original poster said it was for 80% HT, but bear in mind a quality stereo speaker will have MUCH better soundstaging, which would greatly contribute to the overall ambiance of the film.

Thus the reason to TRY before you BUY. Again, I've heard literally dozens of speakers while shopping for myself, my family and my friends, and will never say that there is a "best speaker"; to each his own. However, I feel that proper auditioning will reveal that the B&Ws are top sellers because they look good and have a big name. I don't like the overly eclectic brands either; they can also be very bad.

Mission M Cubes are well rated for compact applications, so are the Monitor Audio radius speakers. B&W have some critically acclaimed satellite speakers (forget model) with their equally acclaimed PV1 subwoofer (the latter most likely being the main contributor to the satellite package).

EDIT: I never bought B&W myself. My first pair of speakers were some Focal Chorus 707S, followed by my Dynaudio Audience 62s, which I purchased recently. It's not that the bass was too loud, its that it was not as tight as the likes of Dynaudio. (Bear in mind that I have a Roksan Kandy MkIII Integrated Amp, so there was no question of a lack of power.)

For the record, I think plugs are totally useless; if you have to use them, you bought a speaker that is too big for your room (most of the time).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 31 Old 08-16-2007, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Look at the brands you were considering: Def. Tech and Mirage are predominately surround sound speakers, and though for HT applications they're excellent, I wouldn't touch them with a barge poll for high end stereo applications.

I realize that the original poster said it was for 80% HT, but bear in mind a quality stereo speaker will have MUCH better soundstaging, which would greatly contribute to the overall ambiance of the film.

Thus the reason to TRY before you BUY. Again, I've heard literally dozens of speakers while shopping for myself, my family and my friends, and will never say that there is a "best speaker"; to each his own. However, I feel that proper auditioning will reveal that the B&Ws are top sellers because they look good and have a big name. I don't like the overly eclectic brands either; they can also be very bad.

Mission M Cubes are well rated for compact applications, so are the Monitor Audio radius speakers. B&W have some critically acclaimed satellite speakers (forget model) with their equally acclaimed PV1 subwoofer (the latter most likely being the main contributor to the satellite package).

EDIT: I never bought B&W myself. My first pair of speakers were some Focal Chorus 707S, followed by my Dynaudio Audience 62s, which I purchased recently. It's not that the bass was too loud, its that it was not as tight as the likes of Dynaudio. (Bear in mind that I have a Roksan Kandy MkIII Integrated Amp, so there was no question of a lack of power.)

For the record, I think plugs are totally useless; if you have to use them, you bought a speaker that is too big for your room (most of the time).

I understand what your saying, but you should also note he's using a Onkyo 605 not some high end separates. I think for this particular application B&W's would probably be ideal. I would not exactly buy Dynaudio's or Focal's to drive them with a entry level AV receiver.

Life is what you make it.......
post #15 of 31 Old 08-16-2007, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

As someone who has owned B&Ws for YEARS in various incarnations, I can honestly tell you without a doubt that I completely disagree 100%.

B&Ws have their strengths (strong midranges/tight highs/good soundstage) and weaknesses (usually lack a strong low end).

They are excellent music/HT speakers and one of their primary weaknesses is corrected by adding a SW.

John
post #16 of 31 Old 08-16-2007, 10:29 AM

685 just won the european compact speaker of the year EISA if that's important to you.
post #17 of 31 Old 08-16-2007, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.eisa-awards.eu/eisa_awards/node/743

here's the link

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #18 of 31 Old 08-16-2007, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 802D is nowhere near the best speaker at that price,as a matter of fact their are a bunch of speakers for thousands less that will blow the doors of them,let alone at that $12k pricetag.
post #19 of 31 Old 08-16-2007, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 802D is nowhere near the best speaker at that price,as a matter of fact their are a bunch of speakers for thousands less that will blow the doors of them,let alone at that $12k pricetag

While you have a right to your opinion, I would add that it's your opinion, so avoid phrases like "matter of fact" please.

post #20 of 31 Old 08-16-2007, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawaun da bomb View Post

The 802D is nowhere near the best speaker at that price,as a matter of fact their are a bunch of speakers for thousands less that will blow the doors of them,let alone at that $12k pricetag.

You know, the poster you replied to was expressing what is commonly known as an opinion. The only fact I was able to discern from your post is I think you don't understand that concept.

Here's the rolleyes for your post

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #21 of 31 Old 11-04-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThiagoD View Post

Which spekaer is the best? I was lookinf for the 602 s3 and I found a new version just released in 2007, the BW 685.

Both are with the same price (U$600). Which one should I pick? Why?

- B&W 602 S3
or
- B&W 685

I can't post the B&W links because I didn't reach the 5 posts yet.

I hope you can help me.....

Thanks

The November '07 issue of "the absolute sound" should clear things up in terms of specs and comparision between the 602 S3's and the new 685's. Pgs 54-55. I recently purchased the 685's...AMAZING!!!!!!
post #22 of 31 Old 11-04-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

They are excellent music/HT speakers and one of their primary weaknesses is corrected by adding a SW.

If the 685 is the choice, can you recommend a good sub to match?
post #23 of 31 Old 11-04-2007, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

The 602s3 is discontinued and should be discounted. If it is still 600$, I would listen to the 685 (because I can) and then make a call. Most likely I would go with the 685 due to the new features if I could not hear the speaker in person.
post #24 of 31 Old 11-05-2007, 06:48 AM

Quote:

Its subjective to your ear. I"ve tried Focal, Paradigm, Def Tech, Martin Logan, etc. and own Focal and Def Tech. My 602 S3 sound better to me than all the above. Again, its just personal. Don't shy away from anything. Test everything and pick what sounds best to you.

Pioneer 61" PDP-6100HD
Marantz SR 7002
PS3
B&W 683, HTM61, DS3
SVS PB13 Ultra

Visio 50" VP50HDTV10A
Denon 1507
PS2
B&W 602 S3, LCR 600 S3, CCM 65

Visio 50" P50HDTV10A & 42" VP422HDTV10A
post #25 of 31 Old 11-05-2007, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I've listened to both models before I decided to go another direction. I loved them both I think the 602 had a little better bottom end but the 685 seamed to have more clarity.
Both will still need a sub for HT. I'd go 685 if it were my money. Since the 602 s3 is a discontinued product it should be had for at least 100 less than the 685. I know the B&W dealer I walked into offered any of his older600 series for about 20 percent off without any haggling. I totally disagree that you would be paying more for marketing on B&W they are a great line of speakers.
post #26 of 31 Old 02-07-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkibasara View Post

Did you try puting the port plug in your 602's?

Would that be the recommended way to listen to the 602s3?
Pros & cons?
post #27 of 31 Old 02-07-2008, 12:20 PM

What it really comes down to is placement and room support if you should have the port-plug in or not. Many people usually have to have some walls close by, and then then you can easily get an overwelming lowend and bad reflections from the other drivers, although the tweeter doesnt reflect backwards as the bass and parts of the midrange do.

Or as Jeff Dunhams Achmed the dead Terrorist would say.... Location, Location, Location.
post #28 of 31 Old 05-12-2008, 07:33 AM

whatever can B&W put on 685, cannot match 602S3.. In speaker industry is not mandatory that, the latest technology to be best one. Yes, it is but not always.. Especially when we talking budget speakers. I audit many B&W speakers as well 685, 686, & 683... 683 is better comparing than 604S3 yes, I agree but not 685. This speaker hasn't sounding and timin like 601S3 & 602S3, not even a close match.. Magazines are full of commercials and who knows what, of course more than 6 years S3 series was on front and hey, they have to put something there to replace the 6 series. Results are real bad. I'm with b&w speakers for last 15years and since tha launch of last 6series, is very dissapointing, I'm not rich to buy 8 series, therefore 6 was my best friend as speaker.
My answer to this thread is: very bad that 602S3 is not in production any more.
post #29 of 31 Old 10-21-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

On the other hand, B&W incorporated their latest technologies in the new 600 series, and it's supposed to be improved in many ways sound wise (which of course, you should verify for yourself). One could argue that the cost of these improvements are some of the things you mentioned. For example, B&W could couldn't have offered a FST driver in a speaker of that price without resorting to China manufacture.

I bought a pair of 685's 3 weeks ago and they are amazing speakers, thou I rejects 2 pairs because the timber had marks and holes on them. Dogy assembly in china, I also bought the b&w matching stands which cost me $699RRP for them they are excllent, very expensive tho, but they look awsome.
post #30 of 31 Old 10-22-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Nothing new here. It's always hip to bash on B&W. I'm certainly not a 60 yr old "vetted" audiophile, but I've heard the 683's, 4's and 5's and feel they're above or competitive with the at least DOZEN other manu's I've heard. The 683's and 5's in particular.

I'd bet money that you'd be VERY happy with the 685's.

my $.02

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Reply Speakers

User Tag List