7.1 channel ... is it worth it vs. 5.1 ? - AVS Forum
1 2 
Speakers > 7.1 channel ... is it worth it vs. 5.1 ?
SoundsGood's Avatar SoundsGood 12:46 PM 08-14-2007
Anyone know what percentage of material (movies, HDTV, etc) is done in 7.1 vs. 5.1?

I'm just wondering if having a 7.1 channel setup is actually worth it compared to a 5.1 channel setup.

Thanks...

Spezzy's Avatar Spezzy 12:48 PM 08-14-2007
No content is in 7.1 right now. Your reciever will just upmix it. I have a 7.1 setup but I love the surround effects, very worth it over 5.1 in my opinion.
gunbunnysoulja's Avatar gunbunnysoulja 12:50 PM 08-14-2007
Most source material is 5.1, and there are a couple 6.1 and 7.1 HD movies. Most people who have 7.1 setups use Pro Logic sound modes to matrix the back surround channels. Personally I prefer 5.1, but many who have big rooms prefer the spacious sound that 7.1 provides, even if simulated.
eddy_winds's Avatar eddy_winds 02:38 PM 08-14-2007
Its worth it
craig john's Avatar craig john 02:52 PM 08-14-2007
I have just recently added 2 rear speakers to my setup. The difference is noticeable, but not as dramatic as I anticipated it being. Overall, the surrounds seem more enveloping and less distinct. On some material this is great, on other material, it's barely noticeable.

Of course, this may change as more discrete 7.1 material is released.

Craig
cschang's Avatar cschang 02:59 PM 08-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

I have just recently added 2 rear speakers to my setup. The difference is noticeable, but not as dramatic as I anticipated it being. Overall, the surrounds seem more enveloping and less distinct. On some material this is great, on other material, it's barely noticeable.

Of course, this may change as more discrete 7.1 material is released.

Craig

I agree 100%, I also think that 7.1 is more beneficial for larger rooms.
sdurani's Avatar sdurani 03:25 PM 08-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post

I'm just wondering if having a 7.1 channel setup is actually worth it compared to a 5.1 channel setup.

Worth it for me. There's no way I can get wrap-around envelopment AND stable rear-vs-side imaging in the surround field with only 2 surround speakers. One pair of surrounds can't be in two places at once (at my sides and behind me). As with any surround configuration, results will be as noticeable or subtle as the source material.

Sanjay
SoundsGood's Avatar SoundsGood 04:25 PM 08-14-2007
Thanks.
tleavit's Avatar tleavit 04:37 PM 08-14-2007
Imagine it were you mamber! 7 is always greater then 5 in most peoples opinions!!!!

Seriously though, you might as well be ready for it now. I specifically love playing "all stereo" for music with all 7 roaring
MatthewB.'s Avatar MatthewB. 05:12 PM 08-14-2007
Regular DVD's are in 5.1 and 6.1 If the DVD has 6.1 you will really appreciate the difference in sound. You don't hear the bullets whiz by you, your hear them go through you. It's a really cool effect.

As far as HD-DVD's and Bluray, they are not yet encoded at 7.1 but your current receiver will play it at DTS-ES or 6.1 surround sound if run through optical connection, if run via analog you will get 5.1 sound at TruHD, but your reciever can use those two extra channels in Prologic IIex mode (but the base sound will still be at 5.1). It is a very cool effect and worth getting the two extra speakers.
SoundsGood's Avatar SoundsGood 05:51 PM 08-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit View Post

Imagine it were you mamber! 7 is always greater then 5 in most peoples opinions!!!!

Huh?
BruceOmega's Avatar BruceOmega 06:38 PM 08-14-2007
On the factor of room size, my room is not large, 13' x 17' x 9.5', and I found a significant improvement in surround envelopment when I expanded from 5.1 to 7.1. I happen to have room behind my listening area to mount the rear surround speakers along the lines of the Dolby recommendation.

Thanks
Bruce
littlesaint's Avatar littlesaint 06:45 PM 08-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewB. View Post

... if run via analog you will get 5.1 sound at TruHD, but your reciever can use those two extra channels in Prologic IIex mode (but the base sound will still be at 5.1). It is a very cool effect and worth getting the two extra speakers.

Most receivers cannot apply DSP (BM, EQ, PLIIx) to analog inputs. You need to have an HDMI receiver that can apply PLIIx to multichannel PCM in the digital domain.
SoundsGood's Avatar SoundsGood 07:48 AM 08-15-2007
Sounds like it's absolutely worth wiring for 7.1 (which I will do) and possibly worth it to add the extra two speakers (which I might do).

Thanks, guys.
MatthewB.'s Avatar MatthewB. 11:07 AM 08-15-2007
Thanks for the clarification on that littlesaint. I have never used any DSP modes on my systems. That's not true my Denon 4802 is in THX mode so that I guess is a DSP mode, and it upconverts 5.1 signal to 7.1, but when watching HD-DVD's the reciever automatically switchess to DTS-ES 6.1. So thanks for clarifying.
patnshan's Avatar patnshan 11:20 AM 08-15-2007
I absolutely love having 7.1 and have no capability of 7.1 source (no PS3). I use PLIIx on all movies and 7.1 enhanced on all music and think it sounds great. I have a Yamaha RXV-661 in a very large room.

If you have not much space behind your seating area it may not be for you. That and very small rooms would be the only place I wouldn't recommend it. I have 5.1 in my living room because I have no space behind me. The 7.1 is in out HT/bar basement area which is very deep.

Pat
SoundsGood's Avatar SoundsGood 11:49 AM 08-15-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnshan View Post

If you have not much space behind your seating area it may not be for you. That and very small rooms would be the only place I wouldn't recommend it. I have 5.1 in my living room because I have no space behind me. The 7.1 is in out HT/bar basement area which is very deep.

The room (family room) is 16.5' wide and 26.5' deep, BUT it's connected to the kitchen which is another 12' deep (so 16.5' x 38.5' total).
sdurani's Avatar sdurani 12:08 PM 08-15-2007
Quote:

The room (family room) is 16.5' wide and 26.5' deep, BUT it's connected to the kitchen which is another 12' deep (so 16.5' x 38.5' total).

How far from the front wall (screen?) will the main seating be?

Sanjay
SoundsGood's Avatar SoundsGood 12:11 PM 08-15-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

How far from the front wall (screen?) will the main seating be?

About 13' or so.
sdurani's Avatar sdurani 01:12 PM 08-15-2007
Quote:

About 13' or so.

Wonderful. This places the listeners at roughly 1/3rd the room length, which will help make the frequency response smoother.

See the attached diagram of a typical 7.1-speaker layout. Notice the side speakers are in line with the main seating and the rear speakers are spread around 60 degrees apart behind the listeners.

If you want something similar to the diagram, then mount your side speakers directly to the sides of your seating area and mount your rear speakers about 14 feet back (still on the side walls). You'll end up with the same angles as on the diagram. Remember to aim/point the rear speakers towards the listening area. I would mount all 4 surrounds at least a couple of feet above ear level.

When a car exits screen left, the sound will disappear to your left. When a plane flies overhead, the sound will disappear behind you. Difficult, if not impossible, to get the same results with only one pair of surrounds.

Sanjay
LL
SoundsGood's Avatar SoundsGood 01:22 PM 08-15-2007
Perfect.

Thanks a lot!
marcusvb05's Avatar marcusvb05 01:42 PM 08-15-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnshan View Post

I have a Yamaha RXV-661 in a very large room.

If you have not much space behind your seating area it may not be for you.
Pat

I also have a RXV-661 with 5.1 in a dedicated room, L x W x H (17 x 11 x 9). The second row seat will be approx 2'-3' from the back wall.

Would this be feasible for a 7.1 setup.
Twylight's Avatar Twylight 02:10 PM 08-15-2007
You should wire the hell out of it - I did what would be 23.5 heh...

I am running 7.1 in a semi large theater dedicated room - its a better fill of sound versus 5.1...
SoundsGood's Avatar SoundsGood 02:13 PM 08-15-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twylight View Post

Ha!
patnshan's Avatar patnshan 03:01 PM 08-15-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusvb05 View Post

I also have a RXV-661 with 5.1 in a dedicated room, L x W x H (17 x 11 x 9). The second row seat will be approx 2'-3' from the back wall.

Would this be feasible for a 7.1 setup.

I personally think that may be a little close to the seating with the rears. Mine are in-ceilings, about 6 feet behind the seating, tweeters aimed forward. Others will chime in I am sure

Pat
patnshan's Avatar patnshan 03:02 PM 08-15-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twylight View Post

I am running 7.1 in a semi large theater dedicated room - its a better fill of sound versus 5.1...

I actually ran 9.1 in a room I have no business with 9 speakers in

Pat
YoungClayB's Avatar YoungClayB 07:25 PM 08-15-2007
I just completed my 7.1 setup and it sounds really good. Its not ideal considering my corner TV placement, but so far I am really loving it. Its almost like you dont even notice the rear speakers until a scene when the surround effects are really pronounced and then you are like..."whoa! cool!!!"

Here's my layout (The sub sounds pretty good where it is, but I'm considering putting the sub behind the TV...not sure yet)

Tom Arken's Avatar Tom Arken 08:16 PM 08-15-2007
Is there a way to get the 4 speakers in the back /side of the listener to connect to my receiver wirelessly?

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Wonderful. This places the listeners at roughly 1/3rd the room length, which will help make the frequency response smoother.

See the attached diagram of a typical 7.1-speaker layout. Notice the side speakers are in line with the main seating and the rear speakers are spread around 60 degrees apart behind the listeners.

If you want something similar to the diagram, then mount your side speakers directly to the sides of your seating area and mount your rear speakers about 14 feet back (still on the side walls). You'll end up with the same angles as on the diagram. Remember to aim/point the rear speakers towards the listening area. I would mount all 4 surrounds at least a couple of feet above ear level.

When a car exits screen left, the sound will disappear to your left. When a plane flies overhead, the sound will disappear behind you. Difficult, if not impossible, to get the same results with only one pair of surrounds.

Sanjay

YoungClayB's Avatar YoungClayB 08:30 PM 08-15-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Arken View Post

Is there a way to get the 4 speakers in the back /side of the listener to connect to my receiver wirelessly?

Thanks,

Yes, but the sound quality will suffer:
http://www.google.com/products?q=wir...oogle&ct=title
TobyR's Avatar TobyR 12:33 AM 08-16-2007
7.1 is probably useful in large rooms or 'shoe box' rooms.

Beyond that or a dedicated HT room with the proper dimensional aspects (like the Dolby image) my guess is 7.1 is something of a 'best case scenario' That there is little true source material complicates that.

Now, if you have a room conducive to it, I am all for it.

In a room of compromised speaker setup I'd guess the benefit is dubious.

1 2 

Up
Mobile  Desktop