Romex cable for inwall speaker wire install? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-19-2007, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I read somewhere that you can use Romex cable for inwall speaker wire install. Is this true? Is it okay and will it work? I'm running four forty foot speaker lengths from front wall to back wall (thru wall and drop ceiling).
Thanks.
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-19-2007, 07:08 AM
GTZ

Liked: 12
Best to check with your local building codes about inwall wiring. Don't know why you'd want to use Romex though. When I did our kids basement recroom our local building codes specified a special in-wall speaker wire but I don't remember the name. It looked just like regular speaker wire but has a different covering or jacket. I ran 12 ga.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-19-2007, 10:58 AM

read this website in regards to wire, I believe it talks about using romex for wire

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

the in wall stuff people refer to is CL3 rated for in walls. when I looked it up it has to do with the fire protection of the wire in the wall, you can find the rating on the UL website. I bought mine for www.bluejeanscable.com
post #4 of 11 Old 08-19-2007, 11:53 AM
GTZ

Liked: 12
CL3 - that's it. Thanks for the link, interesting reading and I learned something.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Plain ole romex in it's own right is rated for in-wall usage so I would suppose if it is able to transfer signal ala any other speaker wire it should work fine but I would think getting the "right stuff" would be about the same money. As expensive as copper is these days it doesn't make sense to go overboard with something like romex as speaker wire.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-20-2007, 08:24 AM

I've been researching speaker wire as well, in-wall and in-room. The website from Roger Russell, above, is great, very informative, but doesn't speak directly about in-wall.

I emailed Mr. Russell, and he said he's been using standard 12 gauge in his studio for in-wall for some time. Good enough for me, so that's my plan. I will probably look for something with thick insullation - my attic gets fairly hot during Texas summers - but other than that, 12 gauge should more than meet my needs.

Hope this helps. - Paul M.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-20-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 418
You could use Romex but it's not a very good idea. It's not flexible, doesn't lend itself well to making appropriate connections, and is really suited best for high voltage applications. Just because you can use something, doesn't mean you should. After all, you could simply hook up your speakers using jumper cables. Wire that's in-wall rated is easy to find, reasonably priced, and won't suffer from the deficiencies that Romex has in this application.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #8 of 11 Old 08-20-2007, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

you could simply hook up your speakers using jumper cables.

Dude!! Awesome idea! I'm so done with the plain old cables that all the putzes use with their tiny girly 1000 wpc amplifiers. I just need to modify the posts so they are a little farther apart, so the clamps don't spark out.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-20-2007, 01:47 PM

I know blue jeans cable has the Belden cable which is rated at CL3 for the 12ga and CL2 for the 10ga. I was pleasantly surprised by the price as opposed to going to Home Depot and buying their in-wall cable. Heck the 12ga was only .40 a foot. If you want to do it by code, get stuff rated for in-wall.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-20-2007, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

You could use Romex but it's not a very good idea. It's not flexible, doesn't lend itself well to making appropriate connections, and is really suited best for high voltage applications. Just because you can use something, doesn't mean you should. After all, you could simply hook up your speakers using jumper cables. Wire that's in-wall rated is easy to find, reasonably priced, and won't suffer from the deficiencies that Romex has in this application.

hmm in wall requires flexibilty? To install and not really.

Suited for high voltage? Well yes, it is also suited for high amerpage as the function of the wire is not to turn cherry red.

Romex works fine. Just make sure it is of adequate guage for the power you are feeding the speakers and you are good to go. If you really want to get "omg" out of people, you could use normal electrical wire of adequate gauge to do the wiring. Really! Only important part is to get one of adequate gauge to not cause a fire

Do NOT let the magic smoke out because it is impossible to put the magic smoke back in!!!!
post #11 of 11 Old 08-20-2007, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Personally, I don't think it's wise to use any type of wire that could be easily confused with an AC mains power circuit.

But, that's just me....

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page