Ascend Sierra-B&W 805S-Swan D2.1SE-Tyler Acoustics Ref Monitor - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 365 Old 08-21-2007, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been intrigued by Swans over the years. Mark was going to send me a set to check out way back when but then he introduced the Rockets. What I wonder is whether the new series is really an improvement over the old series or is an attempt to offer a more friendly sized cabinet.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 365 Old 08-23-2007, 12:28 PM

Liked: 10
Does anyone have any suggestions for in-ceiling speakers that will closely match the Sierra 1 speakers? Unfortunatelly in my case (5.1 Setup) I have to settle for 3 Sierra's in the front and 2 in-ceiling speakers for the rear. Thank you in advance for your help
post #93 of 365 Old 08-23-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

You'll probably have better luck getting that question answered over in the Sierra thread or over at the Ascend Acoustics forum.

J.

Custom Built For The Win!
post #94 of 365 Old 08-23-2007, 02:09 PM

Thank you Jason, I will do that..
post #95 of 365 Old 08-23-2007, 02:12 PM

Craig, I know you don't have them on hand, but could you briefly compare and contrast the sound of the Sierras with the Sapphire XLs? A more detailed analysis can wait till your GTG.

Thanks!
Ajay
post #96 of 365 Old 08-23-2007, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiowildcat1999 View Post

Thank you Jason, I will do that..

No problem...I just wanted to save you before tony jumped all over your a$$...

J.

post #97 of 365 Old 08-23-2007, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I can't wait to see the measurements.
post #98 of 365 Old 08-23-2007, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

How about some pics please?!?
post #99 of 365 Old 08-23-2007, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Wow Craig - at it yet again I see. Just wondering, what do you do with all these speakers when your tests are finished? Do you have a warehouse, do you raffle them off at your GTG's, or do you just sell them on Ebay?

And btw - thanks again for doing this. Your shootouts make for great reading

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #100 of 365 Old 08-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Craig just explained in another recent, related thread that he sells off the ones he doesn't decide to keep and donates the money to charity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #101 of 365 Old 08-24-2007, 08:13 AM

Ok some hopefully simple questions for those who've compared the two.

Which would you recommend for purely 2 channel music? Not really classical...some 3 Tenors and such but mostly bluegrass, folk, easy listening with a bit of rock (70s-90s) thrown in. Think a spread of Nancy Griffith to Greenday with a bit of Blues Highway thrown in and that's what we'd be using these for.

Additional question...What stands are best used for the Sierras? Maybe I read it wrong but I could only find the 340 stands...and I'd rather have 24" than 30" due to some room issues.

Final question, since I have space limitations if I ever did want to use these as part of my HT 5.1 system...what would be a functional center channel that would fit in a 17" wide, 8" high space? The Sierra has this covered by just using a 3rd S-1 as the center...but the Swans appear to be more problematic...anyone know of a well matched SMALLER center for the Swans that would compare to the Sierra in that space?
post #102 of 365 Old 08-24-2007, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterjr View Post

Additional question...What stands are best used for the Sierras? Maybe I read it wrong but I could only find the 340 stands...and I'd rather have 24" than 30" due to some room issues.

Might be better answered over at the Sierra thread or the Ascend forum. However, if you end up going with the naturals, I've been building matching bamboo-plywood stands for $175-$225 depending on height and specs. PM if interested.

J.

post #103 of 365 Old 08-24-2007, 02:05 PM

Thanks,

As a matter of fact my wife is telling me that of all the speakers I'd been considering she likes the look of the bamboo Sierras the best. We're going to go out and listen to a few of the higher midlevel model speakers at some shops in the next couple weeks and once she's had a chance to get clear on what she's listening for (I know what I prefer)...then I'm going to try and bring a pair of her favorites home from the store and probably order some Sierras and let her listen to them side by side. That should be the deal there.

If we do end up with the Sierras I'll PM you with what our needs are (can't do spikes we have all hardwoods).

post #104 of 365 Old 08-24-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterjr View Post

If we do end up with the Sierras I'll PM you with what our needs are (can't do spikes we have all hardwoods).

Plenty of other options other than spikes, including nothing at all...less $$$.

Keep me in mind!

J.

post #105 of 365 Old 08-24-2007, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
After another chat with Ty, we ordered a pair of towers from the Freedom Line ... it is a new model using Freedom drivers in the cabinet from the Linbrook Supertower.

It is 60 inches tall and will sell for appx. $3000 per pair.

post #106 of 365 Old 08-24-2007, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Looks like a great option for identical LCRs behind an AT screen. Enough displacement for excellent dynamics and the drivers are all located in the right spot. A little rich for my blood, but I was looking for something like this a while back (had to go DIY, to get what I wanted).
post #107 of 365 Old 08-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Cool looking speakers Craig. But would it be fair to the other speakers that are only bookshelf size?

Simply cannot wait to hear your final thoughts/opinions on these.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried any Aperion gear (specifically the towers) in the past or planning on in the future?
post #108 of 365 Old 08-24-2007, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWisconsin97 View Post

Cool looking speakers Craig. But would it be fair to the other speakers that are only bookshelf size?

Simply cannot wait to hear your final thoughts/opinions on these.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried any Aperion gear (specifically the towers) in the past or planning on in the future?

We will compare them to the $1300 Swans and the $2000 Rocket 850's .. all with and without subwoofer.
post #109 of 365 Old 08-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Oooooo those Tylers look NICE!! I'm going to have to redouble my efforts to talk my buddy Mike into bringing his Dali Helicon 800s he's got for sale out to your place to compare to those!

post #110 of 365 Old 08-24-2007, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

After another chat with Ty, we ordered a pair of towers from the Freedom Line ... it is a new model using Freedom drivers in the cabinet from the Linbrook Supertower.

Boy I make one little mention of the Tyler Acoustic speakers, and you've gone crazy. LOL

Mazer

My System

post #111 of 365 Old 08-24-2007, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazersteven View Post

Boy I make one little mention of the Tyler Acoustic speakers, and you've gone crazy. LOL

Before you break your arm () ... we cancelled the Reference Monitor in favor of the new tower ... and did so at Ty's request.

You should be HAPPY ...
post #112 of 365 Old 08-24-2007, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

Before you break your arm () ... we cancelled the Reference Monitor in favor of the new tower ... and did so at Ty's request.

You should be HAPPY ...

I have met Ty and he is one very nice guy. In fact, I live less than 30 minutes from Tyler Acoustics. I have also heard some of the Freedom Line speakers as well as the Reference Monitors. However, the Linbrook Signatures Monitors are the absolute best speakers I have heard to date!!!!! Ty's cabinets are also the best I have ever seen too. Tyler Acoustics is the real deal when one wants to see and hear what high end is truly all about. Just cant wait for the results Craig. We all appreciate your hard work and dedication. Keep up the good work.

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
post #113 of 365 Old 08-25-2007, 01:49 AM

I am definately looking forward to hearing about the Tyler Acoustics. When do you expect to receive them?
post #114 of 365 Old 08-25-2007, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post

Ty's cabinets are also the best I have ever seen too.

IMO, Jim's cabinets are the best looking out there. I haven't seen any of Tylers custom cabinets, so I cannot vouch for them. He does create some awesome looking speakers. And I'm positive they sound just as good as they look.

http://www.salksound.com/gallery-votm-0407-2.shtml

http://www.salksound.com/gallery-votm-0507-2.shtml

http://www.salksound.com/gallery-votm-0803.shtml

http://www.salksound.com/gallery-votm-0404.shtml
(my favorite)

^ Just for starters, he's got MANY more. See the link below.

http://www.salksound.com/gallery-votm.shtml
Click on the other months down at the bottom. He creates some WICKED custom cabinets, I, and many would die for.

Jim's speakers, I believe are tough competition for Tyler's. I have considered them both heavily. If I can snag some overtime, I'll make a run for either of these; and if it's just the normal 40 hours/week, I'll likely run with another ID brand.
post #115 of 365 Old 08-25-2007, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IMO, Jim's cabinets are the best looking out there. I haven't seen any of Tylers custom cabinets, so I cannot vouch for them. He does create some awesome looking speakers. And I'm positive they sound just as good as they look.

(my favorite)

Click on the other months down at the bottom. He creates some WICKED custom cabinets, I, and many would die for.

Jim's speakers, I believe are tough competition for Tyler's. I have considered them both heavily. If I can snag some overtime, I'll make a run for either of these; and if it's just the normal 40 hours/week, I'll likely run with another ID brand.

Yes, Jim Salk is also highly regarded here as well as on other forums. With respect to Ty's cabinets they are the best I have ever seen. Thus, you are correct in that they sound even better than they look. However, really dont have the budget for them but sure wished I did. There is no doubt in my mind that Jim Salk's speakers are just as good. Perhaps, one day I may get the chance to hear them too.

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
post #116 of 365 Old 08-25-2007, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

(my favorite)

What Salks have you heard?
post #117 of 365 Old 08-29-2007, 05:29 AM

Craig,
Did you gat a chance to do any listening this past weekend? If so please fill us in on your impressions.
post #118 of 365 Old 08-29-2007, 07:13 AM

Liked: 13
Hey Craig, it's Fatcat from the AV123 forum, I go by Goobermonkey here.
I've just been catching up with the few threads here at AVS about various facets of the GTG at your place. I was unaware of just how many more speakers than I expected will be there. I'm certain you don't need any more speakers to try out and maybe this suggestion is for another GTG in the future but I was wondering if you had checked out Phil Bamberg's website; BESL. He puts together some great sounding monitors and subs using prefab cabinets. I own a pair of his series 2 mtm monitors and I really like them a lot. Phil is also a very nice guy. I actually first learned about him because MLS mentioned that Phil was involved in a few AV123 projects.
Here's the link:
http://www.bamberglab.com/
Thanks again for hosting this and I'm so looking forward to attending!

Best.........Carlo.
post #119 of 365 Old 08-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsteraudio View Post

What Salks have you heard?

Actually neither at this point. But I have spoken to a few people who "were" using another ID brand of speakers that was at the top of my list. When I heard the same thing about Jim's speakers over the other ID brand, I quickly moved Jim's speakers to the top.

Some ID brands give you a "slice of the Hi-Fi"; while Jim's speakers "give you" Hi-Fi. This is a common thing amongst the people I have spoken with. With only a few hundred dollars over my budget, I could go from Mid-Fi to Hi-Fi.
post #120 of 365 Old 08-29-2007, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

I have spent the last few days either outside golfing, or when indoors, listening to either the Acculine gear or comparing the Dana 630's to the Ascend 170SE's.

The Danas and Ascend 170's have been matched to the Acculine Asub, a 10 inch design that packs a lot of punch and also is very articulate - for $289, it is a winner.

For the next three weeks, the posting will center around the budget gear, then we will post lots of info from the GTG (meaning each attendee will hopefully chime in with what he/she experienced), then we will get back into more stuff regarding the high end gear ... assuming it is not all sold for the 2nd Harvest fundraiser.
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page